Radio just quit - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 63 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 4:06 pm Thread Starter

Radio just quit

I always have the radio on my 05 LT turned on. When I turned it off last night, radio was on as always. When I started it up this AM, the "Radio" spot displayed "BMW" and no sound. I pushed the "On" button, "BMW" went away, and the radio has been dead since. Pushing any of the 8 buttons does nothing. I checked the fuse (7.5A) and it's good, plus it says its the same fuse as the map light, which works.

Now this may be a concidence, but this weekend I added a Sirius radio, mounted it on my BMR Co-Pilot shelf and wired it into the map light power. Could that be somehow affecting the power to the radio? I took the clips off the map light hot and ground, and installed a 2-1 cable in between on both. The second leg goes to the Sirius radio. The map light and Sirius radio both have power, and as I said the fuse for all is good - but no radio. When I get home tonight I will remove the Sirius radio from the circuit and see if that makes a difference.

Any other magic cure for a non-responsive radio? Call Irv Seaver BMW? Still under warranty...

OB

Bob OB
Sedona, AZ

'08 R1200RT Sand Beige Metallic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 4:29 pm

When the radio stopped working on my 05, they replaced it with a new one.
post #3 of 63 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 6:33 pm

I have an 03 and if you disconnect the battery for about 15-20 minutes, reconnect and the radio works! Sounds silly but it has worked for me (and others).

Don't know why it does that, it may be a winter thing. It doesn't do it during the summer months. BMW of Atlanta has replaced the radio once but the new one (it is now over a year old) does the same thing as the original radio!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 63 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 7:54 pm Thread Starter

Fuse OK?

Is removing the fuse for a few hours OK, or does the battery actually need to be disconnected?

Thanks everyone you all rock.

OB

Bob OB
Sedona, AZ

post #5 of 63 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 8:34 pm

Mine quit on my 05 last week, being replaced tomorrow.
post #6 of 63 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 10:00 pm

Radio quit..

Just pulled one battery terminal for about 15 minutes. Problem fixed. Of course replacing the radio would do the same.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #7 of 63 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 10:56 pm

The dealer new about the pull the fuse trick, it didn't work.
post #8 of 63 Old Dec 21st, 2005, 12:01 am Thread Starter

No good

FYI I noticed on my way home tonight (since it was dark) that if I pressed the "On" button, one press would turn all of the buttons and the LEDs on the CD player (glove compartment), and another press would turn off all except the "On" button. Still no reading in the "Radio" section of the central LED display.

I disconnected the Sirius power cables I installed, plus pulled the 7.5A fuse (#4) for the radio 2 hrs and then some, no joy. I guess I will try disconnecting one of the battery terminals for a few hours before calling the dealer.

Thanks all, don't know what I would do without you.

OB

Bob OB
Sedona, AZ

post #9 of 63 Old Dec 21st, 2005, 12:02 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
Just pulled one battery terminal for about 15 minutes. Problem fixed. Of course replacing the radio would do the same.
Which terminal? Assuming the ground terminal?

OB

Bob OB
Sedona, AZ

post #10 of 63 Old Dec 21st, 2005, 4:47 am

Bob,
The disconnecting trick, i.e. removing the positive or negative terminal from the battery is well known.
It worked once for me, and then never again.
It seems that the terminals going into the radio can sometimes get wet, corrode and after that it's a new radio if still under guarantee.
I sometimes wonder if it was due to the steam appearing after starting the engine after having washed the bike.
Simon
james216 likes this.
post #11 of 63 Old Dec 21st, 2005, 9:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by atps1234
FYI I noticed on my way home tonight (since it was dark) that if I pressed the "On" button, one press would turn all of the buttons and the LEDs on the CD player (glove compartment), and another press would turn off all except the "On" button. Still no reading in the "Radio" section of the central LED display.OB

Bob,

This is normal. The "ON" button glows all the time. When the unit is turned on, then all the buttons glow. You are certainly getting power to the unit.

By the By....BMW recently replaced my unit under warranty.
post #12 of 63 Old Dec 21st, 2005, 11:00 pm Thread Starter

Success!

Well I'll be dipped in whale you-know-what!

I disconnected the battery before dinner, ended up being 90 mins before I got back, re-connected the battery and momentarily heard a static-y sound from the speakers that then died away. Turned on the ignition, turned on the radio and VICTORY! Radio works again!

Now I am of course skeptical how long it will last, to make sure I will connect power to my Sirius radio through the powerlet on the left side until I see if it's going to last or not.

Again I say it - what would I do without you folks!

"Love you man"

OB

Bob OB
Sedona, AZ

post #13 of 63 Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 4:55 am

Bob,
Still think you should mention this to your dealer and even better, when you take it in for the next service, ask them to look at it, so that it is down in writing.
Simon
post #14 of 63 Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 5:52 am

Ipod

Well Santa is supposed to be bringing me a IPOD, which I will run through the BMW Comm system. I have had the radio replaced once on my LT already. SO hopefully the IPOD will reduce radio time
post #15 of 63 Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 9:01 am

Pulling the fuse generally is not good enough......battery needs to be disconnected.....sometimes 2 minutes is good enough.

I've found that losing the radio mostly happens on starting when battery voltage drops a little so make sure radio is off when starting.
post #16 of 63 Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 10:13 am Thread Starter

Great idea

That is a really good point - I always left the radio (and later my Sirius receiver) on, so when I started up they were pulling juice right away. I think I will get in the habit of turning both units off before turning off the ignition.

Thanks all, and Simon I will take your advice and mention it to the dealer. I still have at least a year of warranty left but it's good to cover the bases.

OB

Bob OB
Sedona, AZ

post #17 of 63 Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 11:43 am Thread Starter

Question Do I need to charge the battery even with daily riding?

Hey this may be OT, but if this "losing the radio" is due to the battery having a marginal charge, I have a question. I ride my LT every day to work, about a 1/2 hour ride to the office in Irvine. Not highway speeds, but moving along pretty well; I would expect more than enough to keep the battery charged. Do I need to invest in a battery charger and plug it in once in a while to keep the battery topped off even with daily riding?

Thanks!
OB

Bob OB
Sedona, AZ

post #18 of 63 Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 4:55 pm Thread Starter

Question Update

Hey at lunch today I went over and talked to the guys at the service desk at my BMW dealer. I asked about the radio behavior, and the guy knew exactly what I was talking about. Appears to be a known issue, and he said that he even had a customer where they replaced the radio and even the new radio did the same thing!

His theory confirms what some have said, which is that before turning off the ignition, turn off or disconnect all accessories. That way at startup, there is less power draw from non-essential components. His feeling is that if there are too many things pulling power, that the radio will get hung in the startup sequence, and the only way to clear it is disconnecting the battery for a while.

Gotta love technology...
OB

Bob OB
Sedona, AZ

post #19 of 63 Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 5:15 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
BTW, there are multiple power feeds to the radio, and multiple fuses. That's why pulling the main radio fuse won't always work, but disconnecting the battery may work.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #20 of 63 Old Nov 28th, 2006, 1:09 pm

Old thread

I realize that this thread is a year old but I am experiencing the same exact symptoms plus one....the CD player light was on (with the radio button on) so I stuck a CD in. It sucked it in but wont eject it! What was the final outcome of your problem? The dealer is ready to replace mine but I dont want them screwing around with my plastic if I can fix it myself (I have farkles attached to the plastic and I have to be careful removing it myself let alone some mechanic's helper!)

Just old, clutchless and clueless
Russ Locke
Lakehills, Texas
post #21 of 63 Old Jul 25th, 2007, 9:27 am

Data point re: Radio just quit

I just had the same thing happen to my 04 LT. I was listening to my radio with the key in the 1st position while cleaning the bike. Turned off the key, then a few minutes later started the bike and no radio. Just a faint light emitted from the LCD.

I disconnected the fuse but noticed there was still power to the radio's LCD - and of course the radio was non-functional. I didn't think of it at the time and could have just disconnected the battery cable but instead went the long way 'round and removed the body work so I could disconect the three connectors at the front of the stingray. Left them off for about five minutes, plugged them back in and switched on the power. Voila! Radio worked and I still had all of my presets!

Last summer I had to take the unit back to the dealer because of a similar no-power situation. Turned out it was a CD that had gotten dislodged inside the unit. Advice is to not leave a CD in if you're not playing it.

(And I did want to check my spark plugs so that's part of the body work removal justification. Yeah, that's it...)

Rick Povich
post #22 of 63 Old Aug 19th, 2007, 8:19 pm

No radio

the dealer told me I needed a new one, but after trying this tip, it worked for me, why didn''t they know enough to try that, or did they, makes you wonder
post #23 of 63 Old Sep 4th, 2007, 10:15 am

R1200 RT stereo--No sound (fault?)

I bought a 2005 R1200RT from a Honda dealer in England with a stereo and Autocom that worked. It had a service done and the day I picked it up I didn't re-check the stereo.
Although the radio and cd display in the dashboard show the track and the radio station, and the volume switch seems to work, no sound comes out.

Back home in Ireland a local Autocom dealer found that the Autocom was wired to the bottom of the stereo cd head end (not the speakers) and rewired it. He also changed the dashboard switch for the Autocom. Still no sound. He reckons it is the CD unit.
Anyone come across this?
The big problem now is that the head end is out of stock at BMW and its 200Euro each time they take the panels off!
Help!
post #24 of 63 Old Oct 16th, 2007, 9:14 pm

2003 K1200LT radio

Hi Guys,
I just read your post and found that the disconnecting the negative terminal trick worked.
Thanks.
post #25 of 63 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 2:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboland
The big problem now is that the head end is out of stock at BMW
Help!
What is the radio part number?

65127692166 ?

Just pussin' through.
post #26 of 63 Old Oct 26th, 2007, 11:24 am

radio problem

My radio died about 2 years ago just after I got the bike. I tried pulling the fuse and disconnecting the battery but no joy. I took mine appart and cleaned everything up with PCB cleaner. The radio was in bits for about a week. Put it back together and it worked fine.

My feeling was that the controller (the buttons) got spiked when I started the bike and the controller wouldn't innitialise the radio - like a spiked BIOS on a PC. I think when it was in bits it had time to fully discharge whereas the overnight thing wasn't enough. When mine failed, the light for the LCD screen lit but the BMW text didn't come up.

I never have the radio on when I start the bike and its been fine since. From the posts of very new bikes having the same problem, I'd assume they were being spiked too. But I'm guessing....
post #27 of 63 Old Dec 4th, 2007, 7:51 pm

Well ... been riding my bike for 2+ years now with the radio on virtually all the time. This morning, started it, radio came on and as I was throwing my leg over her, the radio quit. Played with all the buttons, but guess I'll need to try the battery disconnect trick ...

I'll let you know ...

You know for as much 'bragging' as I do about BMW engineering, there sure are a grundle of 'piddly ass' things that don't seem to have been well engineered / thought out . AND some BIG things like clutches too!!!!!!!

Dave Frederick

Clinton UT
'05 Light Yellow Metallic LT

'05 Monochromatic Mulberry Red Triumph Rocket III

'12 Triple Black R1200GSA
post #28 of 63 Old Dec 4th, 2007, 8:03 pm

"grundle'.. hmmm there's one for the HOW section! yup.. I think they sometimes get "static electricity" spikes when we board... if it is enough and at the right time,etc.. it blinks out... power cycle and it''ll probably be fine.

Funny.. never had those problems with tubes.. but, we did have issues with vibration, etc..

Then there is the problem of singing to myself!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #29 of 63 Old Dec 13th, 2007, 5:50 pm

Worked like a champ ... 'could' be that I put Motolights on at CCR this summer and the extra draw from those / static finally 'got me'!

Called the dealership to see if they had any words of wisdom, things to do after having the battery disconnected ... nada, "... might have to have a switch reset next time its in for service".

Merry Christmas to all that may stumble on this string ...

Dave Frederick

Clinton UT
'05 Light Yellow Metallic LT

'05 Monochromatic Mulberry Red Triumph Rocket III

'12 Triple Black R1200GSA
post #30 of 63 Old Dec 13th, 2007, 9:45 pm

What about 1/2 ? ? ?

On the way home I noticed JUST the rear speakers worked The fronts were 100% dead !

Now I haven't disconnected the battery, but, it sounds like a different issue?

I'm thinking about taking the Dang thin apart and wiring the rears and fronts together hoping the amplifier has enought "testicular-fortitude" to drive both sets of speakers.

I really think I need my Walt Disney ears on for this one.

Joe

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .
post #31 of 63 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 9:11 am

Radio just quit - how many fuses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
BTW, there are multiple power feeds to the radio, and multiple fuses. That's why pulling the main radio fuse won't always work, but disconnecting the battery may work.
As I posted above I had this same problem. I opted for the more extensive fix rather than disconnecting the battery cables. As I was posting a reply to this question a few minutes ago on another forum the question I had is: which fuses provide power to the stingray? Obviously if you take out the radio fuse and turn on the ignition you can still see a light on the radio. Which other fuses are in play here? Just wondering if this is easier than having to reset the clock and lose data in the trip computer with a battery cable disconnect. I have to go through this procedure again since mine died again the other day. 8^/

Thanks for any suggestions

Rick
post #32 of 63 Old Sep 19th, 2008, 12:49 am

Re: Radio just quit

The radio unit on my 2001 simply died after 5 years of faithful service. Dealer said it needed a new head unit A$1200. 5 months after replacement installed the thing died again with the same symptoms reported in this post. "No RADIO" on the display and nothing else. GPS continued to work fine. As the dealer who replaced the unit was 1050 miles away in Brisbane (I have 2 homes in Melbourne and Brisbane and ride annually between the two) I have gone without seeking repairs for more than a few months.
Having stumbled upon this site and thread, I tried disconnecting the battery, with some scepticism. This morning reconnected the battery and What do you know the radio/CD is working again!

Thanks to all those techies out there for your contributions. It worked a treat.
post #33 of 63 Old Sep 19th, 2008, 11:42 pm

Found a new radio last week for the LT 07 model.
It went for $52 on Ebay. Another reason to be always looking.
Swaped out nicely, easy. Works great.
[COLOR=Navy]

post #34 of 63 Old Jan 10th, 2009, 2:38 am

Should have read this post sooner

New to BMW bikes. Bought mine used a couple of months ago. Great rid but I have the same symptoms with my 05LT radio. Loss of communications between the head and the control unit. On/Off works but nothing else. Removed all the necessary plastic to get to the darned thing, checked connections, looked for corrosion, etc. No luck. Checked into a replacement control unit (that will hurt yout feelings when they hit you in the back of the head with that price tag). Now I find this wonderful thread that says disconnecting the battery has done the trick for many.
I'll be disconnecting first thing in the morning and hope for the best.

By the way, to all of the BMW technical contributors to this forum my hat is off. Great site with loads of information. Greatly appreciated by us folks that take pride in maintaining your own equipment.
post #35 of 63 Old Jan 10th, 2009, 9:36 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

If that gets your working again you may want to look here as well to stop it from "cutting off" after two hours while riding. Radio Cut Out

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #36 of 63 Old Jan 10th, 2009, 4:11 pm

When I purchased my 2004 model with some 6500 miles on it, radio was working like discribed in beginning. When I inserted CD in, it was played some 20...30 seconds and after that complete silence.

I took radio department off, departed radio and what did I find? PCB in side push button department looked like it has got some water drops through one button. Also some markings in another place. See pictures.

I replaced radio with another one and radio, cd-palyer and cd-changer are working well now.

Regards
Leiposhi
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	radio pcb failure.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	21394  
post #37 of 63 Old Jul 21st, 2009, 4:10 pm

I put in a thread awhile back about my 99 LT having low level distortion and either was told dielectric grease the connections or amplifier was bad. I leaned towards amp being shot, but gave the dielectric grease a shot, to no avail. Well, here it is much later, radio sound quit workings, figured thats it. Found this thread and ran up last night at work and disconnected the negative. Imagine my surprise this morning when getting off work, put the cable back on and WaLa...It works!!! Not only worked, no distortion! BUT, the best thing is that my bike ran the best ever! Much more power, no rough idling, very responsive! THANK YOU to all you great people that are so awesome to share this stuff and save us lots of money! Isn't the internet an amazing source of info?? WOW!! You all have a wonderful day and ride safe
post #38 of 63 Old Oct 13th, 2009, 1:26 pm

Unhappy Re: Radio just quit

Riding home one afternoon during a rain storm sound quit on my 05. LCD indicates everything is working, but I can hear any output. Dealer tells me radio needs to be replaced for $1000.00. Does anyone know if the unit can be serviced, repairs should be cheaper then replacing. Any help will be appreciated.
post #39 of 63 Old Nov 11th, 2009, 10:55 pm

My radio quit on a 2003. Went to local dealer and after touching the on and off, new radio come back tomorrow for installation. Over $1000 job. Tried the disconnecting the battery trick and is working as good as always. Thanks for the tip.
post #40 of 63 Old Jan 16th, 2010, 4:29 pm

I have 1999 k1200lt and the radio died. I did as someone suggested. I disconnected the battery for 15 minutes and the radio is back! Thanks.
post #41 of 63 Old Mar 14th, 2010, 4:40 pm

Talking Re: Radio just quit

Well I just had to join and thank you guys. "She Lives!" . . . . The radio/cd player on my K1200LT that is! It hasn't worked for two years and having been to three different dealers to try and cure the problem I cant believe that the battery trick has worked, how can I thank you. Drinks all round!

I have not had the ready money to replace the damn head unit following a tricky divorce so each service I have begged them to try and find the problem with the radio. Nothing doing, "you need to replace it mate" was the stock reply, 600 GBP.

Bike has been off the road for a year then a 2,500 mile trip to Valencia for the last 250 GP saw her back on the road. Thing is, during the year that it was off the road the battery went completely flat so I was dubious that this trick would work, as effectively it had been "disconnected". I only had to leave it the length of a quick smoke and a coffee, about 5 mins when she crackled back into life. Joy.

Thanks and thanks again!!!!!
post #42 of 63 Old Mar 14th, 2010, 4:46 pm

Smoking can seriously damage your health.
post #43 of 63 Old Mar 16th, 2010, 6:34 am

Love this site - I thought I had blown my Radio when hooking up the Zumo GPS - bikes a 08 LT and I disconnected the negative side of the battery as advised and left it for 30 mins (had a cup of tea). Behold when it was reconnected I had my radio back.

Thanks keep the tips coming

Dave
post #44 of 63 Old Mar 16th, 2010, 3:05 pm

Radios are notorious on the K1200LT.... I'm going through it right now also....

On another forum I had a few folks suggest that you disconnect the battery for about 10-15 min. (shorter won't do as there are capacitors or something that stores power somewhere. When you re-connect your radio might come back.

If not you may have the same problem I'm having... A pinhole in one of the buttons allowed water into the controls. There is a circuit board under there that got wet and shorted out. I'm currently looking for alternatives to buying this from the dealer @ 700++. If you hear of any alternatives please post!!!

By the way... if your radio itself is the problem Becker Radio in Saddle Brook NJ will repair them.

Good luck!
post #45 of 63 Old Jul 8th, 2010, 9:38 pm

Dittos, my 2002 Lt is in for the 48k service and I asked them to diagnose the radio problem. I was told it would have to be replace. If it is not working when I pick it up tomorrow, I will try the battery disconnect. More to follow.
post #46 of 63 Old Jul 8th, 2010, 9:47 pm

On alternatives to the $700.00++ fix, I need a new helmet and plan to purchase a Nolan N-103 with blue tooth and subscribe to Sirius-XM using an application for my Droid. I will let you all know how this all pans out.
post #47 of 63 Old Aug 4th, 2010, 8:27 pm

I followed the directions to disconnect the battery for 15 to 30 min and presto I am back in business. Very simple fix. Dealer advised a strip down and check fuse and connections but that would have meant removing all the plastic. Fix took 30 minutes.
post #48 of 63 Old Aug 31st, 2010, 5:35 pm

Try disconnecting the negative side of the battery for 45 minutes then reconnecting....it seems to re-boot the radio. I have just had the same issue on a 2004 LT and this fix works!
Thanks to all on the forum for that one.
Arrowhedz
post #49 of 63 Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 5:23 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Does the issue being described here also relate to a radio which won't tune? I just bought--but not yet flown down to pick up--a 2003 LT. The seller said the radio won't tune.
post #50 of 63 Old Sep 6th, 2010, 3:18 pm

mine just quites for a second then comes back on. just enoughto screw up the volume. could the disconnecting trick work for this as well?

Mark West
99 K12LTC
ride ride ride let it ride
216k and counting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in