What kind of gas and/or additives do you use in your LT? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By jzeiler
  • 1 Post By Voyager

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 3:08 pm Thread Starter

What kind of gas and/or additives do you use in your LT?

The highest octane gas sold in my community is 91. My 2000 LT tends to knock with this gas. The manual says to use 94 or higher. What do you find works best?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 3:53 pm

I do use 91 here (souther California) and don't remmember having any knock...
Maybe altitude?
Is your bike 2005? Maybe it's a new engine related?

Just for information, I do have the brown wire cut. Before that I could use 89 and no problems. Now if I use 87 or 89 then it will knock.

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 49 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 4:00 pm

I use premium most of the time but sometimes use the "regular". With either one I haven't had any knocking from my 2000 model.

post #4 of 49 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 4:08 pm

Lightbulb From the FAQ section of the site...

LTs produced up until July 2000 were equipped with an engine control module (Motronic) that was programmed from the factory with a single fuel/ignition map. One of the attributes of this map is the ability for the Motronic to react to high ambient air temperature by retarding ignition timing under certain circumstances to avoid pre-ignition (pinging). Unfortunately, this often occurs in low speed situations such as going around a corner in town and can cause the bike to hesitate or stumble at a critical time. This most often occurs when the outside temperature is above 85 °F and the engine is hot (such as stop-and-go traffic in the summer).
To address the hesitation problem, BMW modified the Motronic to include an alternate map that eliminates the troublesome feature BUT requires the use of Premium Grade fuel. This was made as a "running line change" in July of 2000 so any LT manufactured after that date SHOULD have the new Motronic but the only way to know for sure is have your dealer connect the bike to their computer and read out your Motronic's part number.

If you have the later Motronic, you still need to activate the alternate map to resolve the hesitation problem (more on that in a minute). BMW has issued a service bulletin to their dealers authorizing them to replace older single-map Motronics if a) your bike is still under warranty and b) you bitch and moan loud enough. This is really going to depend on how well your dealer works with you but keep trying, and you should get results.

Once you ensure you have the new two-map Motronic, there are two possible ways to activate the alternate fuel map:

1) If your bike is a 2002 or later, look under the seat near the battery along the right side frame rail. You should find a single exposed loop of brown wire taped to the outside of the wire loom that runs along there. You can find pictures of this wire in the service bulletin or on the main board by doing a search for "brown wire" (be sure to select "All Posts" and "All Forums" when searching). Once you identify the correct brown wire, just cut it. This will activate the alternate map and away you go!

2) If your bike is a 2001 or earlier AND you don't see a brown wire as described above (some 2001's have the wire), you have the older wiring harness that uses something called a Cat Code plug. The Cat Code plug is located under the top case and is usually yellow in color. It's a plastic cube about 1" on a side and it just snaps into a socket under the right rear of the top case. Remove your top case and the black plastic cover underneath to expose the Cat Code (this is an excellent time to do a Canisterectomy as well). Remove the Cat Code and you're set to go.

NOTE: Many riders report that the alternate fuel map not only removes the hesitation in warm weather but provides a noticeable improvement in the way the bike runs in ALL conditions. Just remember to use Premium Grade fuel to avoid pinging.

NOTE: More great information in this post by David Shealey

ALTERNATIVE METHOD: Many riders have found relief from hesitation by disconnecting the air temp sensor on top of the left side radiator. See a full discussion of that method here.

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

post #5 of 49 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 4:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWdave
The highest octane gas sold in my community is 91. My 2000 LT tends to knock with this gas. The manual says to use 94 or higher. What do you find works best?
My 2004 LT has a sticker inside the gas filler lid that says use 89 octane, so when I can get it, that's what I use. Otherwise, it's 91. I've never had a problem with knocking, but then this bike has spent its entire life at altitudes above 2500 ft. Of course, the octane rating numbers posted at the pump here in the USA are different than in most European countries...
(Copied from Wikipedia) In most countries (including all of Europe and Australia) the "headline" octane that would be shown on the pump is the RON, but in the United States and some other countries the headline number is the average of the RON and the MON, sometimes called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI), Road Octane Number (RdON), Pump Octane Number (PON), or (R+M)/2. Because of the 10 point difference noted above, this means that the octane in the United States will be about 4 to 5 points lower than the same fuel elsewhere: 87 octane fuel, the "normal" gasoline in the US and Canada, would be 91 in Europe.
post #6 of 49 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 4:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetDoc
this means that the octane in the United States will be about 4 to 5 points lower than the same fuel elsewhere: 87 octane fuel, the "normal" gasoline in the US and Canada, would be 91 in Europe.
Well,
in the light that point, then his bike will knock always if he is below 2000 feet. At least that is my personal experiency.
I can use even 85 when riding WY and MT, but as soon as I get back in CA if I still have that gas, the bike start's knocking.

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

post #7 of 49 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 6:04 pm

Quote:
I have a Y2K bike, Had to disconnect the airbox sensor to eliminate the 85 degree+ stumble.

My bike NEEDS 91 octain to run right.

*** As for a fuel additive? Yup use that too I use a product known as "TK-7" racing booster ... It is a fuel octain booster & lead substitute. Marketed as an additive that helps engines to have FAR LESS valve recession as well as raise octain @ 1 to 2 points. Raced 4 stroke dirt bikes for years using this stuff ... It really worked well. Have about 2 gallons left and NO dirt bikes any more ... So it gets used in the LT. At 1 ounce to 6 gallons of fuel, I have a lifetime supply

Scott

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

Last edited by motorhead; Dec 20th, 2005 at 6:12 pm.
post #8 of 49 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 6:08 pm

87 Octane

I've had 15 bikes in less than three years and I average at least 15K miles per year; 87 octane works just fine in most vehicles and applications. The LT is no different.
post #9 of 49 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 8:32 pm

Remember - required octane is dependant on your altitude.

At higher alts, they don't even sell the 'strong stuff'. Due to the drop in partial pressure of oxygen, you can't hardly make stuff over 91 octane burn right "up here".

Back in the home town, at 7.5K' - 91 was the 'top of the line' available.

I run 'regular' - 85 - in my stock 2002 (no wires cut), she does fine with it. I've tried some highway and intown runs with the 87 and 91 - all I notice is a bigger dent in my wallet and the trend is for a drop in MPG. So, I sticks with the 85. Only time I opt for the 87 is if temps are high and I'm run'n hard. Hey, she's my baby. {{LT}}

Yea - I live above the line - the 'mystic' 5k' AMSL. Lower your altitude, the higher your octane aughta to be.

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #10 of 49 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 9:10 pm

octane booster

there was a recent thread here pertaining to the use of toluene as an octane booster. that thread stated that toluene is a major constituent of over the counter octane boosters. toulene has a octane rating of 114. try an internet search for toulene and xylene, or search this forum for toulene. it seems to me that there is a link to another site. it might be "rocket fuel." good luck. omurphy
post #11 of 49 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 10:06 pm Thread Starter

Thank you one and all this has been very informative. Temps here in Yuma have been below 80, and I have used the bike for quick trips. I will be checking for the brown wire or the cat code plug. Thanks again. dave
post #12 of 49 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 10:29 pm

Single hose dispenser..

According to the Texas "Weights and Measures" department, they do not "sample" the fuel coming out of the "single hose" dispensers until they run 15 gallons through the hose. That's 45 gallons when they sample the dispensers which provide 3 choices of low/mid/high.

In their final statement I was told, "That's the best we can do. Since these dispensers are used on automobiles, it's likely you will have some of the fuel you purchase when filling less than 15 gallons. I recommend you purchase the low fuel so that you are not wasting your money. Then add an octane booster if you think it is necessary."

WHAT? Yup. True story. So, if the fuel you are buying is from a single hose dispenser, use some octane boost...

There's no "guarantee" the fuel you are getting is good either. There have been "reductions" in the fuel manufacturing process due to the hurricanes.

Several months before the hurricane, Shell had "dumped" bad fuel in stations in the New Orleans area causing serious mechanical failures, clogging of injectors, failure of fuel pumps, etc.. Shell was caught because a State Representative bought some of the fuel. (I suppose they did not contribute to his campaign.... just kidding)

Depending upon where youlive, you might be able to contact your "Weights and measurement" folks and provide the "sample" to them... uh, a FUEL sample =)

Good luck.. we are on our own...

BTW, I use either Chevron Techron, Amsoil additive, or Rocket Fuel. In a pinch I use "Marvel Mystery Oil"... yup.. it keeps the pinging wayyyy down for my 05.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #13 of 49 Old Dec 21st, 2005, 4:50 am

I use 91 octane Shell and a little dab of this stuff.
http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...tid=2&loc=show
Bike runs GREAT!

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC
post #14 of 49 Old Dec 21st, 2005, 10:30 pm Thread Starter

Thanks cfell, I actually did fill my tank up from a "single hose" dispenser. I had thought of this and am looking for a station that has "separate hose". I will try an octane booster until then. I also heard from another biker that some bikers here in Yuma are using av gas (aviation gas) sold at one of our dealers. Anyone have experience with that?? Thanks again for the great posts.
post #15 of 49 Old Dec 21st, 2005, 10:39 pm

Quote:
Thanks cfell, I actually did fill my tank up from a "single hose" dispenser. I had thought of this and am looking for a station that has "separate hose". I will try an octane booster until then. I also heard from another biker that some bikers here in Yuma are using av gas (aviation gas) sold at one of our dealers. Anyone have experience with that?? Thanks again for the great posts.
David Shealey can tell you about this - av gas is a no-no.

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
'86 Honda CH-250 scooter (original owner)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"
post #16 of 49 Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 11:35 am

Some really good information from cfell, I think I will contact our weight and measures here in Pa since most of the pumps I go to are single hose.
I believe AV fuel which is allot like race fuel has lead in it. It,s been awhile since since I've purchased race fuel but whether or not it has lead in it I can tell you first hand its big $$$$ per gallon. It does smell real good going into the tank and coming out the exhaust though!
In addition to the products mentioned above, back in my Porsche parts mail order days I use to carry two products called Lubro Moly Jectron and Lubro Moly Ventil Sauber which is made in Germany. These two products where the best fuel additives you could buy. Allot of the 944 Porsches at the time where having problems with carbon build up around the exhaust valves which would create a hesitation on mild acceleration. After you used a can of each in a half tank of gas the carbon would be long gone 95% of the time. This stuff worked so good that it even took the carbon off the end the exhaust tip!
I think you can still buy it from Automotion.com ......maybe in the future I might carry it again.
post #17 of 49 Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 2:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by strsout
Well,
in the light that point, then his bike will knock always if he is below 2000 feet. At least that is my personal experiency.
I can use even 85 when riding WY and MT, but as soon as I get back in CA if I still have that gas, the bike start's knocking.

This is good to know! Hadn't even thought of altitude affecting pinging. My bike pings a lot here in the San Francisco Bay area. I always run 91 octane yet it pings if I really twist the throttle at lower rpm's. In some cases it will ping heavily in the higher RPM's when under full throttle, but not too often. I also noticed some pinging on my old BMW R1100R when I moved out here.

Nate
2000 Champagne K1200LT - 68K miles
San Francisco, CA
post #18 of 49 Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 3:00 pm

anyone heard of SEAFOAM

Dave, I am not trying to hjack this thread....buit the question seems to fit the subject.

Has anyone heard of SEAFOAM (http://www.seafoamsales.com/products.htm) I read about it in another forum and was wondering if anyone here used it. I'm picky about what I put in the bike (motor or gas). I read this was good for gas/injectors and a gasoline stablizer.

A quick read of the site, and I'm not I want to use this stuff. Anyone?

Justin Case
02 BMW K1200LTE
97 Kawasaki Concours
81 Honda Goldwing

post #19 of 49 Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 3:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nswenson
This is good to know! Hadn't even thought of altitude affecting pinging. My bike pings a lot here in the San Francisco Bay area. I always run 91 octane yet it pings if I really twist the throttle at lower rpm's. In some cases it will ping heavily in the higher RPM's when under full throttle, but not too often. I also noticed some pinging on my old BMW R1100R when I moved out here.

Nate
2000 Champagne K1200LT - 68K miles
San Francisco, CA
I was always under the impression that the higher the altitude the higher the octan you would need to keep the engine from pinging. That's why AV gas has such a high octan rating. My experience is the opposite of those who posted, the higher the altitude the more chance of pinging. Anyone else?
post #20 of 49 Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 4:10 pm

Justin...I have heard nothing but good things about Seafoam but my local NAPA guy does not carry it. He does carry Lucas so that's what I use.

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC
post #21 of 49 Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 4:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nplenzick
I was always under the impression that the higher the altitude the higher the octan you would need to keep the engine from pinging. That's why AV gas has such a high octan rating. My experience is the opposite of those who posted, the higher the altitude the more chance of pinging. Anyone else?
Actually it makes sense that high altitude requires less octane. The higher the altitude the lower the density/pressure of the air. This means there is less compression in your cylinder and therefore less chance for pre-detonation.

Airplanes likely require high octane fuel because the engines are designed for high compression to offset the low air pressure at altitude. When the airplane is on the ground or flying at low altitude the engine would need the high octane fuel to avoid the pinging/detonation.

Nate
post #22 of 49 Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 4:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daman858
I use 91 octane Shell and a little dab of this stuff.
http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...tid=2&loc=show
Bike runs GREAT!
Ditto for me. (Not always Shell though)

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans

Jerry P. Hatley

2007 R1200RT (Betty Lou)
2009 Harley Roadglide (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
1999 BMW K1200LT (sold)
2004 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
1998 Harley Roadking Classic (sold)
post #23 of 49 Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 6:31 pm

Same here with the Lucas Oil... Lucas "Upper Cylinder Lubricant & Fuel Treatment" The stuff is Dy-No-Mite!! I suggest everyone read-up on this product. It cannot harm your engine.
Mileage for me has increased an average of 12% since I have been using it and the engine runs smoother than ever. I have been using it for about 7 months now.
Started using it in the Bike but also use it in the cars.....
post #24 of 49 Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 7:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nswenson
Actually it makes sense that high altitude requires less octane. The higher the altitude the lower the density/pressure of the air. This means there is less compression in your cylinder and therefore less chance for pre-detonation.

Airplanes likely require high octane fuel because the engines are designed for high compression to offset the low air pressure at altitude. When the airplane is on the ground or flying at low altitude the engine would need the high octane fuel to avoid the pinging/detonation.

Nate
I never really looked at it that way, it does make sense.
post #25 of 49 Old Sep 6th, 2017, 8:02 pm

Re: What kind of gas and/or additives do you use in your LT?

Just saw this post.

For many years I've been using Premium unleaded in my 99 KLT. It runs fine even though sometimes I do hear the slight knocking sound. I am at sea level.

I had removed the characoal canister a while back (the one under the rear luggage).

I forgot what the brown wire does but haven't cut that yet.

So a week ago I filled up with medium grade (89) and did not notice much of a difference.

This is all from regular stations.....nothing fancy like Chevron or Shell, just whatever I find around me....Arco or similar.

So I am reading 2 differing opinions here....one that says: Use premium to avoid carbon build up on the pistons. Is this true ?

The other says: Use regular 87 octane gas and save your money.

I don't like to spend the extra money on Premium if it doesn't make any difference.

Any experts on this in the house ??

Thank you.
post #26 of 49 Old Sep 6th, 2017, 8:48 pm

FWIW, I personally always use the higest octane available, it's minimal cost per tank. Also use Techron now and then to clean the carbon off (among other benefits) and when doing so twist the right hand and you'll have a happy Brick motor!

I started out with almost nothing and still have most of it left! 2004 K1200GT
post #27 of 49 Old Sep 6th, 2017, 9:29 pm
Cat Herder

Garage

When I buy fuel in Southern California, my '16 RT runs and pings like crap. There is so much alcohol in Chevron fuel that I have to run blue Sta-bil for marine engines to get the alcohol out of there.

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #28 of 49 Old Sep 6th, 2017, 10:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
When I buy fuel in Southern California, my '16 RT runs and pings like crap. There is so much alcohol in Chevron fuel that I have to run blue Sta-bil for marine engines to get the alcohol out of there.
It shouldn't be more than 10% and you could get that much anywhere in the US at any time. The Sta-Bil would not remove anything from the gas so if it helps, it must be providing another service by adding it like boosting the octane and BTW, the Ethanol is also used to raise the octane rating of the fuel. I use Chevron/Texaco here in Atlanta almost exclusively and it runs great in my 01. I wonder what the actual differences are.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #29 of 49 Old Sep 7th, 2017, 9:57 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

FWIW the LT does NOT have a knock sensor. You run the risk of detonation if you do not run the right grade of fuel. I have personally opened up two engines that were run on cheap regular and all four pistons had broken ring lands from detonation. One even had a fractured piston ring that gouged the side of the cylinder, removing the NikaSil coating and trashed the block. Run what you want, just beware of the consequences. You will not notice the difference until it is too late.
Dick, Patric and bmwcoolk1200 like this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #30 of 49 Old Sep 8th, 2017, 11:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWdave View Post
I put 92 Or the highest octane in mine.And use Startron . It is a ethanol stabilizer and they claim prevents separation of the ethanol and actual fuel. ?? I don't know. Seems to run better when I use it, a couple capfuls to a tank.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.

Last edited by james216; Sep 9th, 2017 at 1:24 am.
post #31 of 49 Old Sep 9th, 2017, 12:06 am

I put in the highest octane at the pump. I have used 100% gas when only the low octane was available. My bike seems to like the higher octane better.

Current Ride: '02 LT - The Mistress
post #32 of 49 Old Sep 10th, 2017, 8:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
FWIW the LT does NOT have a knock sensor. You run the risk of detonation if you do not run the right grade of fuel. I have personally opened up two engines that were run on cheap regular and all four pistons had broken ring lands from detonation. One even had a fractured piston ring that gouged the side of the cylinder, removing the NikaSil coating and trashed the block. Run what you want, just beware of the consequences. You will not notice the difference until it is too late.
Hi John,

I noticed that you don't own an LT. Is your statement about engine damage about the LT or other bikes ?

Mine is a 1999 KLT. I don't have the manual handy and it doesn't say anything on the fuel cap. What is the recommended fuel grade ?

There is simply too much conflicting information. Last week was the first time I filled with Mid Grade fuel, it always has been Super Unleaded, I think it is 91 is the highest in N. California. I did not notice much difference using Mid grade gas as opposed to Super gas.

Then there is the opinion that different gas stations/brands.....some on here say Chevron or Shell is good. Then there is the opinion that it is just marketing hype since they all come from one or 2 refineries.

Thoughts please ??

Thank you.
post #33 of 49 Old Sep 10th, 2017, 9:57 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I do own an LT 2005 (guess I need to add that to my sig line I just thought everyone knew I had one.). I have had it for 13 years and 104,000 miles. I have always run premium and always a top tier gas (Shell, Chevron, Texaco, BP etc). I sent the injectors out for cleaning and they were very clean and all but one had full flow. Mr. Injector said it was evident I ran good gas.

They don't all come from the same refinery (there are about 30 across the country) but still mostly the same - gas is gas. It is what happens at the sale point - once in the tank at the station the additives are added that makes it top tier gas.

From the manual: "– Always use super (premium)unleaded fuel to DIN 51607 or equivalent standard, min. octane number 95 (RON) or 85 (MON)".

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #34 of 49 Old Sep 10th, 2017, 11:11 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_forever View Post
Just saw this post.

For many years I've been using Premium unleaded in my 99 KLT. It runs fine even though sometimes I do hear the slight knocking sound. I am at sea level.

I had removed the characoal canister a while back (the one under the rear luggage).

I forgot what the brown wire does but haven't cut that yet.

So a week ago I filled up with medium grade (89) and did not notice much of a difference.

This is all from regular stations.....nothing fancy like Chevron or Shell, just whatever I find around me....Arco or similar.

So I am reading 2 differing opinions here....one that says: Use premium to avoid carbon build up on the pistons. Is this true ?

The other says: Use regular 87 octane gas and save your money.

I don't like to spend the extra money on Premium if it doesn't make any difference.

Any experts on this in the house ??

Thank you.
Opinions don't matter. What your owner's manual says is what matters.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #35 of 49 Old Sep 11th, 2017, 7:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
I do own an LT 2005 (guess I need to add that to my sig line I just thought everyone knew I had one.). I have had it for 13 years and 104,000 miles. I have always run premium and always a top tier gas (Shell, Chevron, Texaco, BP etc). I sent the injectors out for cleaning and they were very clean and all but one had full flow. Mr. Injector said it was evident I ran good gas.

They don't all come from the same refinery (there are about 30 across the country) but still mostly the same - gas is gas. It is what happens at the sale point - once in the tank at the station the additives are added that makes it top tier gas.

From the manual: "– Always use super (premium)unleaded fuel to DIN 51607 or equivalent standard, min. octane number 95 (RON) or 85 (MON)".
Mine is a 1999, is that any different than the 2005 that you have in terms of what kind of gas it needs ?

Where I live, I don't think I ever saw 95 octane. I think 91 is the highest in Northern California.

Is 91 adequate ?

Is Arco gas good or does it need to be Shell, Chevron, Texaco ?

I assume then that 89 (mid grade) will cause problems down the line ? Just making sure.

Thank you.
post #36 of 49 Old Sep 11th, 2017, 8:45 pm

That great bastion of information known as wikipedia shows the Germany high octane super gas to be equal to the USA 85 rated gas. This would say that any gas at our pumps should suffice. Good luck!

post #37 of 49 Old Sep 11th, 2017, 8:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarjim View Post
That great bastion of information known as wikipedia shows the Germany high octane super gas to be equal to the USA 85 rated gas. This would say that any gas at our pumps should suffice. Good luck!
More conflicting and confusing information...agg.

87, 89 or 91 Octane gas....which one ?
post #38 of 49 Old Sep 11th, 2017, 9:09 pm

Quote:

I use 91. I get a little better gas mileage and a little more pep. Like so many motorcycle things, the choice is yours with what you want to do with your bike.

post #39 of 49 Old Sep 11th, 2017, 11:12 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I don't see that at wiki. Can you post the link you viewed?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #40 of 49 Old Sep 11th, 2017, 11:14 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

What does your owners manual say?

My 07 also has a sticker under the fuel door. I will have to check again, but I am pretty sure it says 89 AKI minimum. Personally, given the lack of a knock sensor, I use the highest I can buy. Typically that is 91 AKI, but occasionally I will find 92 or 93.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #41 of 49 Old Sep 12th, 2017, 12:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
I don't see that at wiki. Can you post the link you viewed?
I looked up Ron/Mon octane or something like that. There is a chart that covers all kinds of different information about fuel. The chart shows Ron Mon for various countries and includes some different companies and their additives.

post #42 of 49 Old Sep 12th, 2017, 9:29 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I looked at the wiki chart in the link you provided and I don't see this. I see Super 95 in Germany being equivalent to 90 US (AKI or (R+M)/2). The German 98 and 100 is 93-94 which is above the 92-93 listed for the US, although I am seeing 91 as the more common premium these days.

Can you explain how you got 95=85 from this table? You are comparing the right-most column, right?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #43 of 49 Old Sep 12th, 2017, 1:58 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I just checked and the sticker on my US spec 2007 says 89 AKI.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2185_1505239088427.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	573.7 KB
ID:	132346  

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #44 of 49 Old Sep 12th, 2017, 6:48 pm

Quote:
I just checked and the sticker on my US spec 2007 says 89 AKI.
Where did you find this sticker ??? Where is it located please ?
post #45 of 49 Old Sep 12th, 2017, 7:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Where did you find this sticker ??? Where is it located please ?
As I mentioned earlier, under the gas lid right where it should be.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #46 of 49 Old Sep 12th, 2017, 9:27 pm

Quote:
I looked at the wiki chart in the link you provided and I don't see this. I see Super 95 in Germany being equivalent to 90 US (AKI or (R+M)/2). The German 98 and 100 is 93-94 which is above the 92-93 listed for the US, although I am seeing 91 as the more common premium these days.

Can you explain how you got 95=85 from this table? You are comparing the right-most column, right?
Was not looking at the furthest to the right. Hard to find 85 octane here anyways. Thanks for catching that. I'll edit my post. LOL edited this post to say I can't edit the other post.

post #47 of 49 Old Sep 12th, 2017, 10:54 pm

Quote:
As I mentioned earlier, under the gas lid right where it should be.

I don't have that sticker on my fuel lid or anywhere else. Is the 06 the same as the 99 ??

Thanks
post #48 of 49 Old Sep 12th, 2017, 11:22 pm

Quote:
I don't have that sticker on my fuel lid or anywhere else. Is the 06 the same as the 99 ??

Thanks
From memory, the 06 has a higher compression ratio of 11.5:1 versus the 99 which has a 10.8:1 It requires a higher octane rating than yours does but seeing there is no knock sensor or timing retard on any of them, it is still best to run the highest rating you can in these especially the newest ones.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #49 of 49 Old Sep 13th, 2017, 2:12 am
Lifetime Supporter

This is really very simple. I am at a loss why many seem to be confused. The LT engine is a small displacement, high compression engine that has no knock sensor to use to protect itself from detonation. Detonation can quickly ruin this very expensive engine. There are two simple choices:
1. The smart choice is to always buy the highest octane you can find. I prefer 91 or higher as the higher the octane the more margin I have.
2. The penny wise and pound foolish choice. Try to save a few pennies and see if you can find the octane that is just barely enough to avoid detonation and run the real chance of cracking a piston pulling a long hill on a hot day.

If you want to run cheap gas safely, buy a Gold Wing. They will run fine on 85 octane.
jzeiler likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in