Sold - Wobble - What? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 Old Dec 19th, 2005, 11:48 pm Thread Starter

Sold - Wobble - What?

I know it's hard to make sense of the thread title, but here's the deal. I sold my LT. Bought it new in '03, rode it for under 6000 miles, loved it, never a problem. It was posted on this forum and got calls and sold. Pictures can still be seen at http://www.pathwayonline.com/gwj/lt.htm.

The buyer has ridden dirt bikes, but this is his first touring bike. He called me today saying the bike had a front-end wobble. He checked this forum and found there has been such issues reported. Someone from this forum (Paul) rode the bike before I sold it (he was a prospective buyer) and said it handled great. He was nice enough to post positive comments on my For Sale post. Earlier today I called Paul and asked him if he noticed a wobble when he rode the bike a couple of weeks ago. He said he'd had ridden LT's before and said mine had the "least wobble of the three." I was surprised. I had never felt anything in the front end of my bike. Paul said, "They all do it."

The new owner is taking the bike to Browns Motorworks tomorrow - one of our local BMW dealers. It's still in warranty. The tire is a bit worn (I think they call the uneven wear cupping), but has lots of thread left. The bike has never been down, bumped, dinged, etc. I've been it's only rider.

Paul told me that Honda's Goldwings and all the heavier touring bikes he knows of have some wobble. He said it usually can only be noticed when decelerating and letting go of the handlebars. I should mention here that the new owner said he has the problem when slowing through 40 mph and releasing hand and arm pressure from the handlebars. I've never done that so wouldn't know what to expect.

At this point I feel a bad because I sold what I believed to be a perfect performing bike and the buyer doesn't seem to think that is the case. If I were him I may feel the same way.

I've read some of the "wobble" posts, but wonder of any of you know if it's characteristic of all makes, some, LTs only, or indications of a problem. Any comments are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 12:02 am

Wobble?

Yup, my 2005, new did that. It was around 40-45 and failed especially when decelerating and I let the bars "float".

I replaced front tire and balanced myself (no factory balancing evident). Bike rides perfect.. no mo wobble!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 44 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 12:54 am

They all do it, my LT almost never does it, my Goldwing did all the time, my Venture did it sometimes.

post #4 of 44 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 2:31 am
Cat Herder

Garage
I ride my LT like a crotch-rocket and I do not get any wobble. Fresh 880's after 10k and still no problem. The roads I ride in the southwest are in really good shape so maybe the wobble is do to the road surfaces were you live.

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 44 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 5:11 am

I have only had wobble once and as I had had the bike for a while by then I wasnt expecting it. I think I was holding very lightly on the bars at the time and i hit an odd road surface.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #6 of 44 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 5:19 am

Hi Gary,

My 2004 does not have any head shake at all. And I am not sure the exact reason for everyone to say they all do that. However, I looked at your photos, and that shot of your front tire shows a severely cupped (and scalloped) tread. I wouldn't doubt that this is inducing some oscillations if this tire is still mounted. A cupped rear tire won't make the front end wander as noticeably as a front. If it shows in a photo, it must really be badly worn. Your rear looked pretty good.

Just my tcw.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #7 of 44 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 6:33 am

Gary - My LT does not suffer from this, but my last two bikes did. Honda CBR1000F & Yamaha FJR1300 both cured with meticulous wheel balance. A mate runs a motorcycle tyre workshop and spent a little extra time getting the balance just perfect, even down to shaving the weights by a gram or two. His work paid off and no more wobble. Might hopefully be something just as simple as this.
post #8 of 44 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 6:52 am

I experienced some wobble due to cupping on my first pair of Bridgestone radials. Like many LT owners (that read the manual specs on tire inflation), following the recommended tire pressure will cause cupping. The more the tires are ridden at lower pressure, the worse the cupping becomes. Sounds to me like that could be the problem. But, the dealer can say for sure. It is under warranty as you said.

You have nothing to feel bad about. You represented the bike as being what you thought it to be. It is the buyers responsibility to check out the bike. When I bought my '03, I brought the bike into the dealer, paid 80.00 and had them evaluate it... They gave it a clean bill of health, and I purchased it.

Subsequent to that, several items failed on the bike over the next month or so. Each was repaired under warranty... That I didn't consider to be the seller's fault. That is what warranties are for.
post #9 of 44 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 7:18 am

I am on my 3rd LT, I've had two 05 models (it's a long story), but my 01 LT would wobble when I let go of the handlebars, the first 05 that I owned would do the same thing. But, the 05 that I now owns has no wobble at all. As someone mentioned, I think it has to be the balance of the front tire. Worry about something else this problem is not your fault.
Leon
post #10 of 44 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 7:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyj
I know it's hard to make sense of the thread title, but here's the deal. I sold my LT. Bought it new in '03, rode it for under 6000 miles, loved it, never a problem. It was posted on this forum and got calls and sold. Pictures can still be seen at http://www.pathwayonline.com/gwj/lt.htm.

The buyer has ridden dirt bikes, but this is his first touring bike. He called me today saying the bike had a front-end wobble. He checked this forum and found there has been such issues reported. Someone from this forum (Paul) rode the bike before I sold it (he was a prospective buyer) and said it handled great. He was nice enough to post positive comments on my For Sale post. Earlier today I called Paul and asked him if he noticed a wobble when he rode the bike a couple of weeks ago. He said he'd had ridden LT's before and said mine had the "least wobble of the three." I was surprised. I had never felt anything in the front end of my bike. Paul said, "They all do it."

The new owner is taking the bike to Browns Motorworks tomorrow - one of our local BMW dealers. It's still in warranty. The tire is a bit worn (I think they call the uneven wear cupping), but has lots of thread left. The bike has never been down, bumped, dinged, etc. I've been it's only rider.

Paul told me that Honda's Goldwings and all the heavier touring bikes he knows of have some wobble. He said it usually can only be noticed when decelerating and letting go of the handlebars. I should mention here that the new owner said he has the problem when slowing through 40 mph and releasing hand and arm pressure from the handlebars. I've never done that so wouldn't know what to expect.

At this point I feel a bad because I sold what I believed to be a perfect performing bike and the buyer doesn't seem to think that is the case. If I were him I may feel the same way.

I've read some of the "wobble" posts, but wonder of any of you know if it's characteristic of all makes, some, LTs only, or indications of a problem. Any comments are appreciated.

the only thing I can say is too run the air pressure on the front tire at max psi, in fact I run mine a couple pounds over, I don;t get cupping and I don't get a wobble.

I run my front and rear a couple pounds over what the tire says on the side wall as max PSI.

Tom
\

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #11 of 44 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 7:42 am

I have to disagree with Tom on this one. Tyre pressures are recommended for a reason, and that is safety. Run too high a pressure you risk skidding on wet surfaces, wet leaves, diesel and who knows what other nasties. I would rather rely on the homework BMW have put into this than run over the max.
IMHO stick with what is in the book +/- 1 or 2 for personal preference.
post #12 of 44 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 7:56 am

I've had this problem twice. Once when I didn't keep an eye on the air pressure in the tire and it was way low and once with severe cupping. (Do you think the low air pressure had something to do with cupping? ) Not had that problem since and I do low hand pressure checks as a normal part of my riding now. If it starts to wobble, I start checking.

YMMV

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #13 of 44 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 8:05 am

I have never had a bike that wobbled when I reduced speed with my hands off of the handlebars because I have never taken my hands off the bars slowing down. I do from time to time take my hands off the bars riding down the road at an even speed. Occasionally a bike will drift to one side-usually the right-but still no wobble.

Many have mentioned it on different bikes so I am sure it happens. Most say the tire and or balance is the problem. In your case I wouldn't worry about it. The seller should have checked for any problems before buying not complain after the purchase.
post #14 of 44 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 8:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malki
I have to disagree with Tom on this one. Tyre pressures are recommended for a reason, and that is safety. Run too high a pressure you risk skidding on wet surfaces, wet leaves, diesel and who knows what other nasties. I would rather rely on the homework BMW have put into this than run over the max.
IMHO stick with what is in the book +/- 1 or 2 for personal preference.

Your wrong though. contact metzeler Avon ect ect, I actually had a tire rep tell me tire pressure recomendations were DOT specific. and I knew I should have never mentioned this.. but what do I know, I've only got darn near a million miles on motorcycles over my life time

Tom

Tom

post #15 of 44 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 8:30 am

Tom - with 895,000 miles on two wheels I'm not that far behind you - we shall just have to disagree on pressures. Everybody to their own, I was just trying pointing out the safety issues for those with less experience.
post #16 of 44 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 8:37 am
Bouncer

It's the front tire cupping.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #17 of 44 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 8:40 am

What I mean by saying they all do it is to always expect it, cause the one time you are not ready it will happen. If it does it all the time something is wrong. Mine is very smooth but, it has done it once or twice & so has every other bike I have owned. Coasting down to a light, let go of the bars to scratch your nose & your balls at the same time, you might get away with it 10 times & the next time it will get you.
post #18 of 44 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 8:55 am

Quote:
Tom - with 895,000 miles on two wheels I'm not that far behind you - we shall just have to disagree on pressures. Everybody to their own, I was just trying pointing out the safety issues for those with less experience.
I'm not trying to sound difficult so don't take it that way ok. But to say putting max air pressure (what is rated on the tire sidewall - not by BMW's manual) to be a bad idea for safety reasons is wrong. It isn't a safety issue at all to put max air pressure in or the tire manufacture could not put it on the tire, regarding BMW as the know it all source for tire safety is incorrect as well, regarding the tire manufacture is however correct.

I've only got 114k miles on my lt, and found real quick adding a couple pounds over max PSI makes these ME 880's work fine, very little cupping or non exsistant sometimes. no wobble feel to it. Great wear from them.

talking to a rep it was said running a couple pounds over max is fine, I run 43-45 F 50-52 R, what a difference over the BMW manual in handling and wear.

Keep in mind though I live in the North Ga mountains and ride pretty aggressive in the curves, as well as had this bike all over the country like Death valley in 114 degree temps running just a little over the speed limit (ok maybe a little more than little over <grin>)

Running lower air pressure than what is on the sidewall's of these tires causes premature wear cupping and poor handling on the K1200LT, especially if you are two up. at least for my riding style it has.

Just my humble experience on it.

you may or may not be behind me in miles, I really do not know exactly how many miles I have riding over my life time, but we are real close to each other for sure. Living in fl since a kid had it's advantages <grin>!

Tom

Tom

post #19 of 44 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 9:15 am

I have had tire cupping on the front 880 on my '03 and have the growl that creates but have never had any wobble with or without my hands on the handlebars.

For what it's worth, here in NJ all motor vehicles sold outside of a licensed dealer are sold "as is" by law. You sold the bike in good faith. Some people (no offense to the buyer as I do not know him) cannot be satisfied no matter what. This is not your problem.

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Explain it to me once more: WHY do I have to "Press 1 for English"
post #20 of 44 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 9:18 am

My 2000 does not wobble at any speed
post #21 of 44 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 10:05 am

Tom - I didn't think you were sounding difficult, and sorry if my post came across that way. This discussion forum is why we are here.
I figure the max tyre pressure on the sidewall is the safe max pressure that this tyre can work at, not the recommended for this particular bike. In the winter time in Scotland we have horrible road surfaces, covered in salt which turns to a slippy grimy nasty shit, which I can only describe as horrible....no doubt others experience this as well. My personal experience with tyre pressures is, any more than 2lbs above, has me like a knife on ball bearings, never knowing where its going. Having tried up and down from recommended, I stick with the book pressures for best overall results. But this is a personal preference, and I agree that others will see it differently.
post #22 of 44 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 10:26 am

Not Responsible as the Seller

The kind of possible wobble or no wobble you're talking about is not an imperfection you can worry about as a seller... it can happen with any bike for many reasons and some people are inclined to look for it and notice it far more than others. The new riders weight and riding charteristics can even bring it out, where there was no problem at all for you. It's a clean deal.
post #23 of 44 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 10:29 am

Manufacturers will always be conservative with limits on all products. A few psi more or less will not make any difference. Put them where they suit you. Its a lot like the recommended max weight limit -
post #24 of 44 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 10:53 am
rlv

Hey guys, I purchased an 06 LT a few weeks ago.
I was really hesitant because of all the talk about front end wobble.
I have 600 on her now and not a problem.
I also noticed that the front end has a small shock up in there and you can see it looking under the lower light. I was wondering if they all had this pre 06 year or if they just decided to place the thing on there trying to eliminate the wobble. I really think that it is some kind of steering damper.
Any way, love the bike, not a problem, love the way it looks and handles, was also worried about dropping it, but no problems there either, of course I have rode heavy touring bikes all my life, Harleys and the Goldwing, both pre 2000 and the later model. Would have to disagree with some statements above about the New Goldwings having a steering wobble, just wasn't there on mine.
post #25 of 44 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 11:20 am

Have an '02 with 55+ on it to date and have had the wobble twice. Both times remedied with accurate balance job done, but ultimately due to balance, uneven wear and cupping ensued. If over 10,000 on tires, replace them if you are worried, otherwise keep your hands on the handle bars. Last time I checked that's why they are there. In both instances of mine, wobble was erradicated by replacing tires.

FWIW on '05s and newer, you may want to explore a different steering dampner, one that has "positive" dampning versus the stock "reactive" dampning. Ohlin has one; it takes a bit of retro fitting to mount, but seems to do the job.

Jon Bush
' 09 RT
"SAPHIRE"
post #26 of 44 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 11:23 am

Thumbs down

The steering dampener has been installed on all models to date. We have not had a report of an accident occurring from this wobble, probably because of this device. So, it is not a safety issue on this bike, it would seem.

What is of concern to me is the number of people who report it, which means a bunch of folks are taking their hands off the bars while decelerating at around 40 mph. WTF??? May I say you deserve to have your pants creamed? If your paws were on the bars you'd never know of this condition.

Yeah, I've had it happen too, put it on cruise at 40 to adjust some gear, then hitting a pothole...wobble ceased as soon as you grab the bars.

The wobble isn't a bike problem. Operator malfunction, perhaps.

BTW, GS's dont have the steering stabilizer. They can develop full blown tank slappers that spit you off and invert the bike! BTDT. I don't consider that a bike problem, either, since it required the right speed and deep ruts hit just right to set it up.

Pete Jessen
CCR 02, 03, 04, 08, 10
post #27 of 44 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 12:10 pm

Quote:
Tom - I didn't think you were sounding difficult, and sorry if my post came across that way.
No your reply did not, just wanted to make sure you knew I wasn't <g>
Quote:

I figure the max tyre pressure on the sidewall is the safe max pressure that this tyre can work at, not the recommended for this particular bike. In the winter time in Scotland we have horrible road surfaces, covered in salt which turns to a slippy grimy nasty shit, which I can only describe as horrible....no doubt others experience this as well.

You may be very well right as I only have experience in warmer conditions, (Warm being a relative term for a Florida boy <G>) about the coldest temps we have in N Ga is low 30's a few times high 20's seen 20 a couple of times, not that I have rode any distance in it!. (that's DANG BLASTED COLD<g>) however I assume that could be a problem with high pressure in a tire, something I did not take into consideration

Tom

Tom

post #28 of 44 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 12:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyvL
A few psi more or less will not make any difference. Put them where they suit you. Its a lot like the recommended max weight limit -

Yea, if I listened to the Doctors I would be a bean pole and have no insulation for these cold temps! -

loose how much more weight?

<grin>
Tom (ok someone had to say it)

Tom

post #29 of 44 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 2:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
It's the front tire cupping.
Here is the reason and a new balanced tire is the answer. You definitely shouldn't feel bad. It's not like you were hiding something.

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans

Jerry P. Hatley

2007 R1200RT (Betty Lou)
2009 Harley Roadglide (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
1999 BMW K1200LT (sold)
2004 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
1998 Harley Roadking Classic (sold)
post #30 of 44 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 3:16 pm

Well my 05 has the wobble with cruise on at 41mph, 45 mph indicated has 14,000 total miles, under warrentee. the dealership confirmed the wobble, checked the dampner, steering head bearing, tire balance (I use ride-on as it hydrostatically balances tire), tire pressure. They tried another customer bike 05 with 3,000 miles , also a 06 brand spanking new off the floor and all had a similar head shake. Then they tried a customer's 03 and no head shake. So is it possible that the change in neck rake angle for 05 increased the "problem". As was stated before the area BMW rep said "Keep your hands on the bars". So no "fix" was provided for my bike.
post #31 of 44 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 8:43 pm

Gary, not yet having read all 3 pages of this thread - and having enjoyed more'n a couple very fine spruce tip Winter Ales (hey, I'm walking home tontie!) I'd suggest at least a casual perusal of this thread from the old board:

http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...=&view=&sb=&o=

It may apply.

Maybe.

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #32 of 44 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 9:22 pm Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. Could have only gotten more response so quickly if I had put up another oil post ;-) Well, the buyer has the bike at Browns and they are replacing the tire tomorrow. The mechanic said that was the first thing to try. After than he suggested going through the front end because maybe the bike had hit something. I'm the original owner and the bike has NEVER hit anything larger than a rain groove - no road junk or potholes. I'm thinking if the tire is properly balanced the problem will be gone. I'm going to pay the bill for tire replacement - I think that's fair. The tire has about 6000 miles and is cupped.

I'm just amazed that I never experienced the wobble. Maybe I'm gripping those handlebars tighter than I thought. Also, if I read this post and looked for a wobble, maybe I could have found it.

I feel better after hearing that other big bikes do the same thing. Someone I talked to on the phone said "all of them do." I'm going to have to ask one of my Harley friends. I'm thinking with the front fork angle that bike may not.

Anyway, I'll report back here in the next day or two what the outcome is on the new tire. Until then, the saga continues.
post #33 of 44 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 9:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyj
I'm just amazed that I never experienced the wobble. Maybe I'm gripping those handlebars tighter than I thought.
FWIW, it only takes a few ounces of pressure on either bar-end to eliminate the wobble. Also, with over 37K on mt LT now...I have experienced the wobble. It comes and it goes. Knowing that it can happen is the most important thing. I find it to be a complete non-issue beyond that.
post #34 of 44 Old Dec 21st, 2005, 7:20 am

Wink LT Wobble

Don't feel bad! It's the cupped tires that are causing the problem.I had this happen on my '04 LT. All bikes have some wobble when decelerating around 40-45 mph if you take your hands off the bars. Tell the new owner just to put a new 880 Metzler on the front and his wobble will be gone.Also tell him to "KEEP HIS HANDS ON THE HANDLEBARS"!! Good Luck, Ron Ray
post #35 of 44 Old Dec 21st, 2005, 10:20 am

Cupping is the culprit! If the new tire is not kept at 42 psi cold or above at all times it will start again - VERY insidious, and once you start to notice it only another new tire will cure it.

One picture worth thousand words:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cupping.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	270.3 KB
ID:	1239  

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #36 of 44 Old Dec 21st, 2005, 9:22 pm Thread Starter

New tire and balance fixed the problem. The new owner says he can't make it wobble now. Lesson learned.
post #37 of 44 Old Dec 25th, 2005, 11:31 pm

Still wobbles

I took my 05 K1200LT in for this wobble and they told me the tire was warn after 5k miles. At their suggestion I purchased a Metzler because the service tech told me because it is a bias ply tire and not a radial tire it would fix this problem.

It got better but still wobbles, mostly at 40-43mph with either cruise on or decelerating with no pressure to handlebars.

Easy to say "just keep your hands on the bars" but many situations I've been in have me letting go. This is the advice I get from the dealer and to me it sounds more like they don't want to deal with it.

I think it is unsafe to have this problem and even though there doesn't seem to be a solution I will continue to try and get it fixed.

BushWacker

"Let's ride we're burnin' daylight!"
post #38 of 44 Old Dec 26th, 2005, 7:43 pm

Bush: You'll find many discussions on this problem. Its "common", but not "normal". My 2004 doesn't do it, now has 5k on it ME880s.

Wear on the rear tires can cause the same problem. That might be why I haven't experienced it, because I true up my rear tires with a surform occasionally, to cut off the high spots. I do it because I can't stand the howling noise.

Its often hard to actually see the high spots. They can be subtle. ALL motorcycles can experience the problem, not just the LT. I see your choices as 1) ignore it, 2) replace the rear tire, or 3) true up the rear tire with a surform. Obviously I'd suggest #3, but I doubt a dealer would do it for you.

Don Ferrario
2004 K1200LT
2002 ST1100A

post #39 of 44 Old Jan 7th, 2007, 11:52 pm

Sold-Wobble-What?

Enjoyed reading all the comments about different bikes "wobbling" while decreasing speed at 40 mph...never felt it before my current bike, a 2000 Harley Heritage Softail Classic...whew...i've had an LT, a Moto Guzzi, and a Triumph and never experienced it...i'll check out the tires...i just thought it was the Harley..go figure...p.s. just bought a 1996 R1000RT as my second bike...looking forward to some fun riding...
post #40 of 44 Old Jan 8th, 2007, 8:10 am

Your description is classic front tire problem. Most likely the pressure is too low and or severe tire wear, especially cupping from running the tire with too little pressure.

First ck pressure suggest 43lb fy and 48 in rear. Go ride. If still wobbles replace front tire.

Possible steering head problem but not likely wilth those few miles.

Tom

2003 R1150RT, Black Beauty--this is one sexy bike!
1999 R1100GSA, Does everything well, what else can one say?
1992 K75SA, If this engine had been 4-valve instead of 2, it would be the smoothest BMW ever built!
1978 R100S, my first and favorite BMW.
1976 R75/6, A 30 year old gentlemen I still love to take out for a Sunday ride.
post #41 of 44 Old Jan 8th, 2007, 8:58 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Since this was resurrected I'll add my observations. 0-5,000 miles no wobble factory tire pressure, then wobble developed. At 11,900 changed front tire (rear was recent as well). Still had wobble but checked front tire - it was slightly out of round. Decided I could live with it. At 24,000 miles installed a new tire on the front (less than 2K on the rear) tire was perfectly round this time and no wobble. So if new tires do not fix it. Check those tires for anomalies. You too can have a wobble free bike.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #42 of 44 Old Jan 8th, 2007, 9:02 am

[QUOTE=BushWacker]

Easy to say "just keep your hands on the bars" but many situations I've been in have me letting go. QUOTE]

I hope you are kidding, are you really stating that in certain situations you release the bars !!
Please tell what situations deem it necessary to let go.

Regards

Martin
post #43 of 44 Old Jan 8th, 2007, 10:53 pm

FWIW
My 99LT wobbled slowing down thru 40 mph on 3 sets of tires if light pressure or no hands on bars. New tires helped but still could wobble.

My 00LT I couldn't get to wobble, even with severe cupped front tire that was on it when I bought it.

Mick
'00LT Canyon red "Miss Ruby"
'99 LT Basalt grey "Coyote"
post #44 of 44 Old Jan 9th, 2007, 6:11 pm

fixed wobble

Hi finally got the wobble pretty much fixed on my 05K1200LT! The guys down at Sierra BMW figured it out. Scott in service was quite helpfull, I printed out all the emails in this forum for almost a year, he reviewed them and sought advice from BMW service reps and they installed a new "head unit" in my front forks.

It changes the rake angle by a couple degrees and my problem which was Really bad is 98% solved. I can make it wobble if I really try by hitting the handlebars while having my hands off at just the right speed but under all normal conditions it is fixed.

Thanks Scott for your persistance in solving this, what I consider to be a, major flaw!

BushWacker

"Let's ride we're burnin' daylight!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in