New bike question-more to come - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Dec 19th, 2005, 6:59 am Thread Starter

New bike question-more to come

I just hauled my new 2003 K12003lt home in a snow storm. The manual and everything else is in the top box(trunk). I have the ignition key but it will not open the top box or the side bags. What else is there,a remote? thanks Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Dec 19th, 2005, 7:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuffalo
I just hauled my new 2003 K12003lt home in a snow storm. The manual and everything else is in the top box(trunk). I have the ignition key but it will not open the top box or the side bags. What else is there,a remote? thanks Jim
Jim,
Put the key in, turn the key vertical, with the key in the key hole or out of it, push in and the handle will pop out. Pull and the handle and the case will open.
On the compartment in front of the seat put the key in and turn it horizontal and push and it will open.
HTH
post #3 of 9 Old Dec 19th, 2005, 7:17 am

Welcome to the club, be sure to read the FAQ's on this site, very informative.
One key should open all the cases and the ignition unless the previous owner had the ignition set changed. If it is equiped with an alarm system then you should have a remote to arm and disarm it. One way to tell if it has an alarm is to look buy the headlight adjuster knob on the right side. There should be a small rasied round metal "nipple" (for that of a better term!) about 1/2" in diameter. This is used for an alarm fob which also should come with the bike. The fob can turn the alram on and off if ou lose the remote or don't have one. Touch the end of the fob that has the metal tip against the bike side of the fob and it will turn the alarm on or off. ride safe

post #4 of 9 Old Dec 19th, 2005, 7:30 am

what years was that " nipple" option on?
post #5 of 9 Old Dec 19th, 2005, 7:45 am

Got it on my 2001, not sure about the other years. I hope you are talking about the key fob alarm control or what ever the thing is called!

Last edited by johnrehder; Dec 19th, 2005 at 10:36 am.
post #6 of 9 Old Dec 19th, 2005, 8:05 am

That's a different type of alarm system that's on some early LT's. I've got an 03 and the light on the panel is only an indicator light for alarm status. The alarm is not tied into the latches for the cases. Yes, there is a programable remote but the indicator light is just that, an indicator, not a receptor. I think the 05 and above do have a tie in between the central locking system and the alarm but I'm not sure.

The ignition key should open each of the cases and the small cover over the oddments box up by the radio just as "black1200lt" said. A couple of things will cause a problem. One is water in the tumblers of the lock, just like on a car in freezing weather. If you hauled it home in the snow it might be frozen. Another is binding of the latches if the cover was mis-aligned when closed. Mine does that on occasion and it makes the handle on the side case hard to open. When that happens I've usually left something between the case and the lid (Helen Two Wheels bag strap) when I've closed the lid and it puts a side load on the latched causing them to bind.

Bill McAllister
St. Louis, MO.
2003 K1200LTE
post #7 of 9 Old Dec 19th, 2005, 7:01 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by black1200lt
Jim,
Put the key in, turn the key vertical, with the key in the key hole or out of it, push in and the handle will pop out. Pull and the handle and the case will open.
On the compartment in front of the seat put the key in and turn it horizontal and push and it will open.
HTH
Thanks guys. I got it. The key needed to be pushed in. thanks Jim
post #8 of 9 Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 7:01 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
My '99 LT alarm had the metal contact on the right side of the dash, but my '02 LT has the light only. So I'd say '99-'01 has the metal, and '02-'04 has the light.

The '05 bikes may also have the light, but they do use an alarm trigger for locking and unlocking of the saddlebags and trunk.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 9 Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 7:18 pm

Question alarm

Since you are on the subject, What do you do if you lose the alarm fob or didn't get one with the bike (I guess the previous owner didn't turn it in)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in