Hand Grip Replacement - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Dec 19th, 2005, 2:08 am Thread Starter

Hand Grip Replacement

My Hand Grip Rubbers are worn through and shredding at the thumb position on both sides. BMW Hollywood seems to want to sell the electrified pair for about $225. It seems that the old rubbers could be carefully removed without scoring the heating element and replaced for Oh, $30. What a shame to throw away a perfectly good heater, plus I Don't know if the rubber grips are "Special" for use with the heater element, but if anyone has a clue.... I'm not really cheap.... just frugal

Thanks All
Dave Lezynski
Oakland, Hollwood CA
2000 K12LTC
2000 Aprilia Pegaso
2004 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Dec 19th, 2005, 6:09 am

I sort of remember reading in the archives about someone replacing the handgrip rubbers with the rubber of the handle grip of a tennis racket.

it was in the old site archives.
a search thru there might reveal it
post #3 of 22 Old Dec 19th, 2005, 11:37 am

In the archives, use Handlebar Grip Replacement to search for the answer. JGroves posted this:

Anyway, it turns out the left replacement handle tube, part # 32 72 2 232 619, DOES FIT. It has THE SAME ID as the right replacement tube, part # XXX 620. It's also half the price ($13). So for about $26 I have new rubber grips. I will post comparison photos as soon as I can get to it.

post #4 of 22 Old Dec 19th, 2005, 11:59 am

Several months ago I purchased ($15 at most) a pair of sleeves that fit over the BMW grips. They add diameter to the grips (helps eliminate those pesky cramps), and protect the rubber. A great enhancement, but I can't remember the name of the company that sold them! "California something" I think. Kinda like starting a joke and forgetting the punchline....sorry. Maybe someone else has some info on them???

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey
post #5 of 22 Old Dec 19th, 2005, 1:31 pm

Garage
Does any body know any thing about Ariete grips. I was looking on there web site for some other grips and found some BMW replacement grips, but I have not found a USA dealer for Ariete.
post #6 of 22 Old Dec 19th, 2005, 1:40 pm

www.hotgrips.com

Direct replacement (just make sure that you order the right ones - with the internal wiring). Much higher quality, and much more durable than the BMW grips. Less than half the price.
post #7 of 22 Old Dec 19th, 2005, 3:29 pm

http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...=&view=&sb=&o=

This link might take you to a thread concerning the subject. My new grips have worked out fine and were very simple to swap. Others have suggested upgrades in favor of factory replacements. I haven't tried any.
post #8 of 22 Old Dec 19th, 2005, 4:58 pm

Thats what I did and I love it! A little more cushioned and a nice grippy feel. Does not interfere with the heating action at all. Total cost was $3.00 and it has lasted over a year now.

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Explain it to me once more: WHY do I have to "Press 1 for English"
post #9 of 22 Old Dec 19th, 2005, 5:33 pm

Unhappy No Warranty

Dave,

Traveller's grip on the left side was completely worn through at 2 years of service. I attempted to get BMW to warranty them. They would not. They claimed hand grips are expendable and are not covered by warranty.

I was very disappointed as this was the only problem that I have ever encountered with a BMW warranty claim.

My dealer quoted me $50 for the new left side hand grip.

I will just fill the cracks temporarily with black silicon sealer. The copper heating element is showing pretty bad.
post #10 of 22 Old Dec 19th, 2005, 6:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardenross
Dave, Traveller's grip on the left side was completely worn through at 2 years of service. I attempted to get BMW to warranty them. They would not....
The difference between dealers I guess, Allen. One of my grips was wearing away, and Touring Sport replaced it under warranty.

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
'86 Honda CH-250 scooter (original owner)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"
post #11 of 22 Old Dec 19th, 2005, 6:42 pm

Just peel the old ones off and you can compare them with other grips. Do not unscrew the old grips as you will likely break the heater wires. I just bought the non electric BMW grips and peeled them off the plastic handlebar housing. They are identical to those on the 2000 K1200lt and just glued them in place.

My original grips were replaced under warranty at around 35,000 miles when the throttle cable had to be replaced under warranty. These replacement grips lasted till around 100,000 miles when I again replaced them.
post #12 of 22 Old Dec 19th, 2005, 10:01 pm

Angry Expendable?

Thanks Bob,

With that little-tid-bit of information, I may try again! Warranty claim, that is. My AirHead is over 10 years old and the grips are still good.

Expendable!?!?

Bah!! Humbug!!!!
post #13 of 22 Old Feb 16th, 2007, 10:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
Grab a set of Tennis Racket Grips from your local Sporting Supply.

Clean the existing rubber grips to remove any oil, dirt.
Wrap the Left grip Clockwise starting at the outside end of the grip. This makes the twisting action tighten the wrap.
Wrap the right grip counter clockwise as well starting at the inside edge of the grip and secure it at the outside edge.
Again this will tighten the wrap with normal twisting action.

Good Luck
Thanks to DaveDragon and Dezrae for the tip. Tennis racket grip worked wonders and does give it "girth."

Regards,
Curt
post #14 of 22 Old Mar 1st, 2007, 2:42 pm

Smile Best grips IMHO

Grip puppies are the ones you want, leave you original ones on and simply slip these over, california sport touring is where I got them from posted to UK really quickly an excellent company.
post #15 of 22 Old Mar 1st, 2007, 4:06 pm

When I wuz a lad, I had a 15+ year old Motobecane 50 with crumbling rubber grips. I cut a couple pieces of bicycle innertube and with a little persuasion, stretched/slid them over the grips. they were sufficiently tacky and added a little girth and padding. Might be worth a try. You can probably get a free used innertube from your local bicycle store.

I have some grips on my R75 (and had the same ones on my R60) called Grand Touring USA. I think they are made by the same company that makes OURY motocross grips. They are nicely ribbed, thick in the middle, and the ones on my old BMW probably had 100,000 miles on them, and they still had a great surface even after the ribs started to wear down. I'm not sure if they'd fit on the LT or how they'd work over the heating elements. But they were great and I'd put them on any bike I own.

http://www.cycleshopusa.com/p2042.htm

If you look at the map and don't care where you are, you're not lost.

2000 K1200LT
1977 R75/7
1962 R60/2
post #16 of 22 Old Mar 1st, 2007, 8:55 pm
DGM

Smile

I went through 2 sets of stock grips in less than 8k miles.
Now I just put a 1" piece of bicycle inner tube on the grip. It moves freely and it has stopped the grip wear. The last set of grips has 43k on them and they still look new.
post #17 of 22 Old Mar 1st, 2007, 9:06 pm

Hand Grip Replacement

I replaced mine with the R1200C grips. Buy two rights, peel the rubber from the throttle tubes, and silicone them over the existing heating coils.

Tim Barstow

2004 GSA Silver
2007 X Challenge
post #18 of 22 Old Mar 1st, 2007, 9:07 pm

Replacement Grips

I ordered the black neoprene handgrips from A&S Cycle (www.ascycles.com/), $14.92 each. Gives a thicker handgrip which really helps reduce vibration & are much more comfortable over the long haul. These grips just slide right on - no problem with the heat & easy to take off if you want. no gluing invloved.

Mike
post #19 of 22 Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 12:42 pm
tjc

Grip puppies work great, cost $7.50 a pair. I put them on to relieve nerve pain in my wrist on long trips.

http://www.casporttouring.com/store/...Code=Hand-Cont
post #20 of 22 Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 1:07 pm

Garage
I really like the look of the Kuryaken Grips on the LT. Just enough chrome and black show. Very classy! Search and you will find the post.

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #21 of 22 Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 1:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid
Several months ago I purchased ($15 at most) a pair of sleeves that fit over the BMW grips. They add diameter to the grips (helps eliminate those pesky cramps), and protect the rubber. A great enhancement, but I can't remember the name of the company that sold them! "California something" I think. Kinda like starting a joke and forgetting the punchline....sorry. Maybe someone else has some info on them???
\

Grip Puppies?

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #22 of 22 Old Jun 6th, 2009, 11:34 am

Re: Hand Grip Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid
Here is the link:
http://www.casporttouring.com/store/...Category_Code=

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in