Iron Butt Discussion - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 10:41 pm Thread Starter

Iron Butt Discussion

This is the first time I have ever been to the official Iron Butt rules and regs page and first off, 1000 miles in 24 hrs. I know I can do that but wow looking at some of the other stuff on there I saw what I must say is just the most insane thing I can think of. The 48 Plus! 48 states and Alaska. Thats just nuts.
So my question is, for all the IBA members, what have you done to date? and to everyone else what is your craziest ride?

Personally with a child on the way in May I will be lucky to actually complete a 1000 or 1500 this year. Yeah I know its only one day, but I don't want to grouch up the new Mom.

Jeremy
1999 Champagne
Bike #70151
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 3:10 am

Re: Iron Butt Discussion

I did the Saddlesore and the Bunburner as part of the same trip. They are fun and not really hard depending on the location and traffic. I did mine on I-40 from Barstow to Shamrock TX and then on to Conway AR. After that they do get a bit harder and require some planning. May try a 50CC the end of May since I will be in Cal and have to get back to the east coast. Get a good nights sleep and head out around 4 AM you can get a lot of miles in by dark!

Mike
06 K1200 LT
01 Corvette Conv (RED)
BMWMOA # 128948
IBA #19196
post #3 of 34 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 3:52 am

Garage

I completed an End to End Gold (John O'Groats to Lands End using a route taking 1000 miles in less than 24 hours) and a Bun Burner 1500 all in one ride last year on my then current ride of a 1991 Electra Glide Classic. Rained solid for the whole ride.

I hit major holiday traffic crossing Bodmin Moor along with torrential rain and fog. So it was hard work keeping the speed up, and a bit scary at times as people still don't see you even with all the lights on a glide blazing out front.

I did the End to End section in 19 hours and total ride in 30 hours. Average road speed of 55mph and fuel consumption of 27 mpg

The consumption figures and small tank drove me nuts in the end, as I always seemed to be filling it up and then worrying about where I could get fuel next.

That (the fuel consumption and range) was the nail in the coffin for the glide, but it never missed a beat to be fair to it.

David

You can't guarantee tomorrow, so do it today!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 34 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 5:17 am

I did a in-state ss1000 in Missouri last year.
Don't know if you visit The Motorcycle Tourers Forum, but the sponsor rides every other year. At least, they had a series of rides in 07, and I think they are planning rides in 09. They are not group rides, but preplanned rides where the witness, stops, etc parts are already covered. And the ride is pre-approved by the Iron Butt Association. I met some great folks on the Missouri one.
My craziest ride to date, was not Iron Butt certifiable. I picked up a used GS from a guy in LA and took three days, riding 2400 miles, to get it back to MO. It's a 97, with a windshield about the size of a dinner plate. The ride was a blast, but I was whippped when I got off after 800 miles the last day.

It's fun, and I like the license plate bracket you get.

Jeff

08 R1200GSA
04 K12LT (Sold)
97 R1100GS (Sold)
SS1000--IB # 32778
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 34 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 7:19 am

I thought I wanted to try a SS1000, but got rained out a few years ago, pre KLT. the closest I ever came was 750 miles in 20 hrs. So yes it would be do-able [for me], BUT there were a few times where I got so sleepy I was unsafe and had to take breaks. And I was riding with a buddy who had to stop every 100 miles for gas.

I don;t know if I could SAFELY complete even the minimum, even though I would really like to. I guess keeping the "adventure factor" up would be a key to keeping me awake. And getting plenty of rest the day before. The day before our 750 mile day, I taught a MSF class, got in aroun 5 sleep at 6, up at 11 pm to depart at midnight.

The night riding was fun and easy. DC traffic at 6 am was NOT. The sleepy part came about 3 pm in NJ, but after a lunch break and the guy told us we had to leave by 3:30 to beat NYC traffic, I was fine til we got done for the day. I guess there is easily time for rest breaks if you plan the route properly. Our plan to leave at midnight was to be able to beat DC and NYC traffic, but it didn't work. DC was "straddle walking" for 8 miles, and NYC was fine on the TappanZee bridge side but once we hit CT, it was standstill time. Ended up stopping for a break to let traffic ease up a bit. So all in all, I guess it would be easily doable with proper route planning.

Maybe someday.... good luck to those that try and congrats to those that do it.
randy
post #6 of 34 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 7:25 am

I have done a bunch. I must say a 1000 mile days can be as tough as a 1500+ mile days if traffic, weather and mechanical issues surface. You can also increase the challenge if you throw in the secondary roads etc.
I would say riding the TRIFECTA ( 4500+ miles < 72 Hrs ) with only the main fuel tank and not a fuel cell on day 2 plus rain all day on day 3 was the most interesting. BTW the Trifecta is not listed on the list of rides. There is a list of finishers perhaps half a dozen.on the IB site.
Other rides 50 CC Gold, BBG 3000 3X, BBG 1500 lost count etc. The 2 most intense rides to date done by other people were Warchild ( Dale Wilson ) Hell Week 7X 1500 . Dale rode a FJR. 1000 miles of the dragon on a wing.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #7 of 34 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 7:52 am

What level are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabrown
So my question is, for all the IBA members, what have you done to date? and to everyone else what is your craziest ride?
Let me first admit that I am not an IBA member, but I have done my share of long-distance riding over the past 5 years. Last May, returning home from the left coast, I completed 1,208 miles on the 20th day of my trip. I don't have a cert to "prove it" . . . just pictures, gas receipts, tire receipts, etc..

But I digress...

[rant]
You used words like "nuts" and "crazy", and I can't agree more. Pushing oneself beyond one's limits just to be part of some "Big Boy Peeing Contest" is ludicrous. I run out of fingers counting the IBA'ers (that I know personally) that have crashed while trying to complete these ridiculous feats of endurance.
[/rant]

Having said that . . . why do people climb Mount Everest? Because it's there. It seems to be part of human nature, for some odd reason. A feeling of accomplishment, perhaps. Even if it means risking one's life, and the lives of others around them. Then again, there are those that would say riding a motorcycle is "nuts" as well. So I guess I can conclude by saying that there are levels of crazy. And I just haven't obtained the level needed to participate in the IBA . . . . . . . . yet.
post #8 of 34 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 8:25 am

Mid June, Karen and I are starting the Iron Butt national parks Tour.
50 national parks in at least 25 states.

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #9 of 34 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 8:26 am

I rode to the Food Lion without any beer stops. Does this count as an ironbutt?
post #10 of 34 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 10:47 am

I don't think one is crazy at all for the SS1000. In fact, on an LT it's almost cheating!

Did mine on July 4th, in 18 hrs., 23 min. July 4th was perfect, because there was no holiday traffic, as everyone had traveled the day before to reach their destination. Also, absolutely no delays from construction, as they were off too!

Took a 1 hour nap at the half way point, by stretching out at a rest stop (aka, Iron Butt Motel). Because of that, fatigue was not an issue. You just need to know when it's time to rest.

It's only a "crazy endurance feat" when people try to stretch their limits. That's when people get hurt. For that reason, I personally wouldn't attempt anything more than a Saddle Sore, or Bun Burner - or perhaps a Border to Border. I could never pull off the 50cc, or Iron Butt Rally (probably wouldn't be invited anyway, so I'm safe!).

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #11 of 34 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 11:22 am Thread Starter

Re: What level are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Having said that . . . why do people climb Mount Everest? Because it's there. It seems to be part of human nature, for some odd reason. A feeling of accomplishment, perhaps. Even if it means risking one's life, and the lives of others around them. Then again, there are those that would say riding a motorcycle is "nuts" as well. So I guess I can conclude by saying that there are levels of crazy. And I just haven't obtained the level needed to participate in the IBA . . . . . . . . yet.
I agree with you fully. What may be nuts to me, may be a walk in the park to someone else. I personally think jumping out of a perfectly good airplane or Heli is nuts but I have buddies that do it all the time. So I suppose the 48+ may be a breeze to someone, just not me.

Jeremy
1999 Champagne
Bike #70151
post #12 of 34 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 11:41 am

Mine was the LGL, Lower Great Lakes, was around lake Erie and Ontario in under 24 hrs. Like others have said, doing it on an LT is very easy.

Garry

Follow my South America ride at

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

post #13 of 34 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 11:51 am

whoa !!!!!
Food Lion without any beer stops ?

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #14 of 34 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 3:30 pm

[QUOTE=Jabrown]This is the first time I have ever been to the official Iron Butt rules and regs page and first off, 1000 miles in 24 hrs. I know I can do that but wow looking at some of the other stuff on there I saw what I must say is just the most insane thing I can think of. The 48 Plus! 48 states and Alaska. Thats just nuts.

I guess riding the 48+, 2-up, twice, would make us sound pretty insane, especially to those unfamiliar with the IBA. Having said that, and after reading some of the other posts, it's clear that LD riding is not for everyone. We are just thankful that the IBA exists for us, and anyone else that wants to have a documented, legitimate claim for a challenging ride. IBA membership is now approaching 40,000 riders.

For us, it's a personal challenge to be shared with an amazing group of riders.
No one else seems to understand, until they are bitten by the bug.

-tom

Tom and Rosie Sperry
IBA 303, 304
Hanford, CA
post #15 of 34 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 4:28 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

LD riding isn't for everyone, any more than motorcycle riding is for everyone (even if they can afford the shiny status symbol).

For me, I just like to ride. Short trips to run errands, an afternoon run through the local mountains or to meet friends for lunch, or crossing several states just to tick them off a list. It's all good.

Like many of the IronButt members, I've been riding long distance way before I knew of any group or organization. Getting a certificate is a nice feeling, but knowing that I accomplished the ride to my own standards counts for more. The group merely provides a collection of like-minded individuals that have all agreed to a standard set of rules so that we have a common ground to work from. Not unlike this forum, come to think of it.

Yes, riding motorcycles can be dangerous. But we accept those risks and try to mitigate them by riding advanced bikes with ABS, keeping them in good repair (especially tires and brakes), wearing proper safety gear (most of the time ), taking advanced rider training, and even using forums like this to compare notes and learn from others.

LD riding is simply the same, but more so. You wouldn't buy a pair of Nikes then go run 26 miles, or buy a new parka and go climb a mountain. You work up to these goals by starting smaller, pushing yourself to the limit, then breaking through that limit and pushing on to the next one. Those limits are personal, and something that each of us has to find for ourself (or choose not to find). Even guys who have spent tens of thousands of dollars and years of training to go climb Everest have to know when they've hit their limits and have to turn back.

On my first "official" SaddleSore (1000/24) I pulled over and got a hotel simply because I needed to stop. Four hours later I felt great and continued on without problem. I've also completed a 50CC, had a nice, big breakfast, then felt good enough to continue on another few hours and another state or two.

In terms of sanctioned rides, I've done multiple 1000/24 rides such that I don't bother documenting them anymore. Under perfect conditions that's about 14 hours ride time, plus another hour for fuel stops and a quick lunch. I've also done 1500/36, B2B Gold (Mexico to Canada) in <24 hours, 1500/24, 50CC (coast to coast in <50 hours), and an SS5K (5,000 miles in 5 days). The trick is not running at full-tilt for hours on end, but rather minimizing down time (fuel stops 5-10 minutes max) and managing your sleep (especially on the longer multi-day rides). It's efficiency, not speed that will get you there safely.

I'm also doing a couple of longer-term rides, such as the National Parks Tour (50 parks in 25 states within a year) and the California National Parks Adventure (all 24 National Parks in California within a year). These serve nothing more than to get me down some random back roads that I never would have chosen on my own, and to say that I did it.

But what I prefer more is the LD Rallies. Doing 1,000/24 is almost cheating with today's modern bikes and extremely efficient Interstate systems. But turn that into a scavenger hunt where you have to chase bonus locations, take pictures of obscure roadside attractions, and answer random trivia questions and it's a whole new ball game. Suddenly instead of simply changing XM channels or looking ahead to the next fuel stop as you drone along you find the brain constantly searching for the best combination of time/distance while hustling down some little-traveled back road looking for a roadside marker or chasing the tide to get that picture of an obscure lighthouse. Now that's challenging, and a whole lot of fun besides.

Then again, it's not for everyone. And that's fine. But if it does call to you, then at least we know where you can find many more like-minded riders who don't think twice about crossing state lines just to have lunch with a few guys.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #16 of 34 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 4:37 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Re: What level are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
- Joe rants on, again -
Any more crazy than power wheelies or sliding the rear tire through corners or scraping pegs for the camera or doing 150+ just because you can? Some would say there's no place for any of those antics on the street and that you're needlessly endangering not only yourself, but every other road user out there. And some would argue that those things can be done safely by an experienced rider under the proper conditions.

It's all a matter of degree. We've all made fun of the poser crowd that dumps their bike in a parking lot or runs wide off the road due to inexperience. And I know lots of guys that have crashed under a variety of circumstances. But I will say that when you count mile-for-mile, the LD crowd is easily one of the safest groups that I've even ridden with. There's a difference between consciously pushing your own limits in a controlled manner and suddenly slamming into a limit that you didn't know was there, with often dire consequences. I'd rather take the informed route, thanks.

Then again, no one's forcing you to ride 24 hours straight, any more than they're forcing me to ride on one wheel, whether or not either of us could do so safely. So it's all good.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #17 of 34 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 4:49 pm

My crazyest ride was christmas eve when I was 20. Norfolk to Wales (UK) on an AR125cc No riding gear and didn't start till 11pm!!!! Black ice and hyperthermia for Christmas day.
No ride will ever be as stupid, dangerous or challenging.
These days my LD rides are when I want and have no pressure to go further than my instincts tell me. That's why I don't do the Nationals. You have to do them on the day set. I have good days and bad days. No way am I going to put myself in the position of riding further than I feel is comfortable and safe ever again.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #18 of 34 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 6:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlookin
I did a in-state ss1000 in Missouri last year.....Jeff
What was your route. Anything I come up with looks like it will take 20+ hours. A bit too long for me to stay awake.

I am trying to get as close as I can to all 4 corners, which may be messing me up.

I also want to do a 50CC, but need to plan a long vacation, since KC is on the middle....
post #19 of 34 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 8:41 pm

Garage

This is the last one I have completed

http://www.uni-go-trailers.com/Saddlesore000.htm

Bill Jennings, fhp
Denison, TX

BMW States
BMW years and miles, 32 years 500K+

AMA, CMA, IBA, POG, MSF, FHP, etc

'99 K1200lt
'76 R900/6
Various Vintage Dirt Bikes
-Greeves (Sold), Pentons, Hodaka, etc.

Remember you are not lost till you run out of gas!
post #20 of 34 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 10:10 pm

Smile Re: Iron Butt Discussion

To answer your original question, my most unusual IBA ride was my first one. I rode a 1400 Suzuki intruder in a round trip ride of just over 1000 miles. It took me 23 hours. Made 13 gas stops--very small tank on that cruiser. After the first 2 stops, the credit card stopped working at the pumps, so I had to go to the clerks and get it approved inside. Tell your credit card company that you will be using the card a lot.

The record keeping, recording each stop, getting time stamped receipts, putting it all together and sending it to the IBA is a pain. But the plate holder on the bike is nice.

The other IBA rides have been on BMWs. First on an LT and the most recent one BB1500 on my current ride--RT.
As has been said, it is almost cheating to do the entry level rides on a BMW touring bike.
post #21 of 34 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 10:35 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSuz
As has been said, it is almost cheating to do the entry level rides on a BMW touring bike.
I was researching the 48+ and ran across a web page, can't seem to find it now but it was in the early 90's where the top ten people that ran a 48 state iron but rally; about 5 or 6 of them were on BMW's.

Jeremy
1999 Champagne
Bike #70151
post #22 of 34 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 11:47 pm

I guess My wife and I are nuts. We did our first SS1000 on our 31st wedding anniversary. Now we want to try a border to border. I rode my LT she rode her Spyder.

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...holy $hit...what a ride"-Mavis Leyrer
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Stienbeck
08 CanAm Spyder "Fast Truck"(Wifes')
08 Kawasaki KLR 650 "Lil Dirt Truck"
05 K1200Lt "Lt Truck"
05 Piaggio X9 Reveloution "Lil Truck"

97 International 4700 "Big Truck"

AMA Life Member
BMWMOA

post #23 of 34 Old Apr 25th, 2008, 8:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey
I guess My wife and I are nuts. We did our first SS1000 on our 31st wedding anniversary. Now we want to try a border to border. I rode my LT she rode her Spyder.
DEFINITELY a ^5 to Denise for the SS1000 on the Spyder! Riders like her and my brother (Magna, with no fairing) were who I had in mind when I said the LT is almost like cheating!

Bruce, let me know when you want to pull of the Border to Border (if you don't mind an extra rider)!

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #24 of 34 Old Apr 25th, 2008, 9:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsteinborn
What was your route. Anything I come up with looks like it will take 20+ hours. A bit too long for me to stay awake.

I am trying to get as close as I can to all 4 corners, which may be messing me up.
Check here: http://www.mctourer.com/rides/2007/S...s/StLouis.html

Scroll down and you will find maps, GPS routes, and notes. It started and finished in STL but if you are doing it on your own KC would be a logical starting place. Just do the paperwork as if it wasn't a structured ride.

Bill McAllister
St. Louis, MO.
2003 K1200LTE
post #25 of 34 Old Apr 25th, 2008, 9:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsteinborn

I also want to do a 50CC, but need to plan a long vacation, since KC is on the middle....
Started in St Louis.. Went down 55 to Sikeston, over on 60 to Springfield, then 44 to Joplin, then 71 north to KC, picked up 29 to St Joe, cut over to 35 north up to 136. across to 61 south near Keokuk, IA. 61 south back to St Louis. I left at 6:00 and was at the Denny's in St Louis around 9:30.. Only had to ride after dark for a hour. Not bad. I never really got tired.
The next day I was feeling it a little.

08 R1200GSA
04 K12LT (Sold)
97 R1100GS (Sold)
SS1000--IB # 32778

post #26 of 34 Old Apr 26th, 2008, 1:16 am

Here is the route I had come up with.

I hope to get it knocked out this year.

post #27 of 34 Old Apr 26th, 2008, 7:11 am

I have been involved with the LD riding community for the past three years (SS1000, SS3000, SS5000, BBG, BBG3000, 100CCC, 50CC THW) and mile for mile you will not find any safer or more prepared riders. Riding big miles in itself is not crazy, a man or woman has just got to know "their" limits.

Back to the original question about IBA rides, last month I finished an in-state BBG going the the four extreme corners of FL, fun ride.

-Chuck-

'05 K1200LT
'92 FXSTC
'66 HD Sprint
IBA #375

"Eat, Drink and be Merry for tomorrow we Ride"
post #28 of 34 Old Apr 26th, 2008, 9:13 am

SS1000 x2, BB1500 X2 and BBG x1 (1546 miles in 22 hours 6 min). I would love to do more, especially the CC50, 48 + Alaska, etc, but getting enough time off to do the more severe rides is difficult. I just hope that when I finally retire and have the time, I'm not too old to do it. The most insane ride listed on the IBA site that I have notice is the guy who did FOUR BBGs back to back. That's 4 1500+ miles per day, back to back (6000+ miles in 4 days).

Dick Wood
2014 R1200RTW Quartz Blue Metallic
Previous2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic K1200GT
Previous 2002 Toscana Green LTE
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #29 of 34 Old Apr 26th, 2008, 12:27 pm

I have done 2 IBA rides a SS1000 and and a BBG 1500. I must say its really planning and time management. Here is a copy of the letter about our ride in 2002 with 3 of us, In spite of planning the weather in ND, SD was a challenge the first weekend of May 2002. You guys can laugh about the weather, as we were too stubborn to try another day.

May 14,2002

Iron Butt Association
PO Box 4226
Lisle, IL 60532-9226

I am including the copies and receipts for 3 of us, all applying for the IBA SaddleSore 1000. (Rick Hansen, Don Forsman and Jason Gelling)

It was a memorable ride due to the weather! The weather forecast was low of 40ís high in the low 60ís in ND and Mid 70ís in SD with only a small chance of rain.

We had intended to leave at 5:30 AM on May 4th, but at 4:30 AM the radar showed a large shower band west of Fargo so we delayed our start to let most of it pass to the north of us. The good news was that at 4:30 the temp was 45* and dry. At 6:08 AM the temp was closer to 40 and light rain. We completed our gas purchases, Fargo PD Sgt Ross Renner witnessed our form. Then we took pictures, buckled up and left closer to 6:20 AM. We left in a light rain, which after traveling about 10 miles west turned to snow!!! We continued west and after Casselton ND the rain stopped but the sky was still overcast and the temp was 38*, Passing west of Jamestown ND, the temp dropped to 32* and the ground was white with snow. We passed on coming cars with varying amounts of snow on them and I began to wonder what else was in store for us. At Tappen ND, Jason pulled in looking for gas as our pace had depleted his tank to the reserve point, but we did not find premium fuel so we continued to Steele ND a mere 8 miles away to the west. , Jason had been running on reserve and was concerned about becoming stranded on I-94. At Steele we had a rest break, we fueled the bikes and then took additional time to warm up and assess the day. We decided to continue, but to limit our speed some to allow Jason greater range, since this is not a race. We stayed in Steele about 35 minutes. The temp held at 32* through Bismarck ND, and by the time we reached Dickinson ND (corner) the temp was now 41*. The gas receipt at Simonsonís has the wrong time as the credit card machine time was off by an hour, as they had not corrected the time to MDST with the switch to daylight savings time a few weeks prior!

We gassed up the bikes, drank some water, and headed south towards Newell SD. This was a leg to make up some time so we planned to pick-up the pace. To the South of us just before the SD border Jason planned to stop for gas, in Reeder ND on Highway 22, Don and I would fill in Newell as did Jason again, the temp was a balmy 51*. The next stop was in Sturgis at the BMW/Yamaha dealership. I bought oil, filter, crush washers and Jason bought a pair of insulated First Gear Pants to replace his chaps and rain suit pants, which matched his First Gear Killamanjaro Jacket. This was a rest stop of about a half hour. We then headed to Rapid City (corner) for Fuel and quick hot dog and then out the door, temp was 63*. The next stop was at Murdo SD for Fuel and as we continued east we had a pretty good side wind making it a more physical ride too. We stopped at Chamberlain SD and ate a light dinner and this stop lasted about 40-45 minutes, electing to continue from there and stop for Gas at Kimball SD. At that point the sun was fading and the temp falling again! At the junction of I-29 and I-90, just at Sioux Falls (corner) there were no gas stations in sight( should have verified that) as we turned north for our leg to Fargo. We continued north in the dark and just a few miles until we saw a sign indicating gas 2 miles to the east of I-29 at Baltic SD. We made a quick dash for gas, filled up and continued our northern trek. At the I-29 and SD Highway 12 junction (Summit SD) we stopped for Gas and a rest stop for about a half hour, the temp was now 41* and the cold was taking a toll on hands and toes. At this point we only had 115 to 120 miles to go. After warming up, it was off and running. During this leg the temp on my bike indicated we reached 35* for the last 70 miles and we picked up the pace with the end of our trip so near.

We arrived in Fargo about 1:40 AM on May 5th and glad to be home. The same station attendant was on duty as when we left about 19 Ĺ hours earlier so that was a new experience. Robert Bond (IBA member) came to the station to verify our mileage and sign our forms, we discussed the days ride and then off for home. Fargo PD Sgt Ross Renner was also back on duty and spotted us leaving Markoís Amoco on the way to my home a few blocks from the station. He stopped to ask if we were Ok and glad we had made the trek safely, another instance of the same person being back on duty! It really was a long day.

We look forward to hearing from you and verifying our ride for membership in the IBA Saddlesore 1000. Enclosed is our documentation and our checks for the pin, Certificates, and license plates package.

Sincerely,

Rick Hansen.

Richard Hansen
99 K1200LTC- Warbird- totaled April 2014

09 K1200lt. Warbird II
IBA SS1000 & BBG 1500
post #30 of 34 Old Apr 26th, 2008, 1:09 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey
My B2B Gold was straight up I-5, 1,468 miles in 21 1/2 hours. Doing the normal 36 hour B2B should be quite reasonable for you two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWDOC
The most insane ride listed on the IBA site that I have notice is the guy who did FOUR BBGs back to back. That's 4 1500+ miles per day, back to back (6000+ miles in 4 days).
Don't forget Warchild, who did seven BBGs back-to-back, for a total of 10,500 miles in a week. Then again, he's a special kind of crazy.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #31 of 34 Old Apr 26th, 2008, 2:56 pm

I did an MTF hosted SS1000 on June 9th of last year and a pair of combined SS1000/BB1500 rides during the Christmas Holiday. I am still a newbie to the endurance riding community in which there are some some incredibly dedicated and accomplished riders. I can only hope to try to match but a small portion of their accomplishments.

Nuts is as good a description as good as any to descibe people who push themselves to the extremes of their abilities. I think it's nuts to jump out of a perfectly good airplane. By today's standards skydiving seems tame compared to some of the extreme sports that people participate in now . Why do people do anything challenging or exciting.

It's certainly not for everyone. Of course endurance riding is about planning, preparation, dicipline and execution, not thrill seeking. The reward is a piece of paper you get to pay for and a lifetime membership to the nut house . An IBA license plate backer, patch, pin or t-shirt is always a good conversation starter . The word nuts does come up quite frequently .

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #32 of 34 Old Apr 26th, 2008, 8:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Don't forget Warchild, who did seven BBGs back-to-back, for a total of 10,500 miles in a week. Then again, he's a special kind of crazy.
Yes as noted in post # 6.. Hell Week in the wide open space with support. No minor Feat !

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #33 of 34 Old Apr 27th, 2008, 6:20 am

The closest I've come is 972 miles right at 18 hours on the way to CCR Grand Teton. Left Atlanta, GA at 0430 and shutdown in Yukon, OK at 2230. I had no idea that I would have made it that far that day. I was riding with two other riders and one was worn out so we shut it down. It wasn't until we got ready to roll out the next morning that I realized how far I'd gone. Didn't have the paperwork ready so it wouldn't have worked out anyway.

I guess I'll be up for it again this year headed to CCR @ Zermatt Resport and Spa in Midway , UT. Have you signed up yet??

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #34 of 34 Old Apr 27th, 2008, 9:45 am

LD riding is like anything else that is hard to do. It takes conditioning and practice, and one who has acheived sufficient conditioning and self training can do it with low risk.

I did a fair amount if it myself, and the first rides were certainly the harder. I completed a SS1000, BB 1500, then a BBG 1500 in 24 hours, probably the most difficult of all the basic rides. I failed two attempts at the CCC 100, the first due to an electrical problem on the bike, the second because of severe weather problems choking a major portion of the eastward route making completion unlikely.

The longest ride I did was the 10/10ths, 10,000 miles in 10 days. Most of that was not terribly difficult, but there was one day/night of it that became difficult because of being tired causing me to make a big mistake, not fueling up when things got difficult. Other than that, my previous history of quite a few 1000 mile days made the ride very doable without great risk.

Certainly anyone who set out to do something like that without having done quite a bit of LD riding previously would be something highly NOT recommended!

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in