Cleaning the front forks - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 11:20 am Thread Starter

Cleaning the front forks

The most diificult thing for me to get clean is the front forks. I usually use a wheel brush and the alloy wheel cleaner but it still takes a while.

Does anyone have any tips?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 12:27 pm

Re: Cleaning the front forks

Do it more often and it will be easier. Most guys on this forum consider it a badge of honor to have a layer of crud on their bikes.

2018 K1600GTL
2012 K1600GTL (retired)
2003 K1200LT (retired)

IBA # 35048
post #3 of 14 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 2:39 am Thread Starter

Thanks KayGee, I'm sure you are right but I commute 1,000 miles a week and in the rough british weather the stuff they keep spraying on the roads makes everything filthy. I have to wash the screen (inside and out) every day there is rain (which is too many at this time of year).

What a joy it must be to live somewhere like California.

post #4 of 14 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 5:25 am

In Florida, if you ride enough in the rain, it keeps the bike clean (enough!) and get ride of a lot of the love bugs. Once or twice a year I hit the rest of the bike with the hose, otherwise, that's as clean as it gets, except for the windshield.

Generally after a long ride, I leave a water soaked rag on the windshield and then wipe it clean in 15-30 minutes with a microfiber towel. Windshield still looks quite good and the rest of the bike looks a little grimy between washes...... More fun to ride then wash!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #5 of 14 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 6:02 am

I guess I'm on the other end of the scale. Granted, I don't put a huge number of miles on the bike but it gets put away, parade ready, after almost every ride. I use Plexis and a cotton rag. Even do the underside of the tupperware.....Ok cal me anal!
Bob

Bob
2003 K1200LT Black
Rockaway, NJ
post #6 of 14 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 8:44 am

Arthur,
Having to remove the front guard recently proved to me how simple the operation was. Simply by removing the front guard you can the reach all of the forks. I then used a soft nylon pot cleaner and some soapy water, like wash and polish car cleaner. The finish was as new and no damage to any of the paint.
Bruce
Perth, Australia
Ulysses #39110
post #7 of 14 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 8:51 am
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter36
I guess I'm on the other end of the scale. Granted, I don't put a huge number of miles on the bike but it gets put away, parade ready, after almost every ride. I use Plexis and a cotton rag. Even do the underside of the tupperware.....Ok cal me anal!
Bob
OK anal Sorry had to do it!

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #8 of 14 Old Apr 26th, 2008, 12:14 am

The last time I did a thorough cleaning, I soaked forks and wheels with WD-40 before I started then used dawn with a nylon dish scrubber and lots of elbow grease. A couple of coats wax afterwards. Make sure the dish scrubber makes it back to the kitchen before she gets home!

Diehly

Poke it through, tuck and roll
post #9 of 14 Old Apr 26th, 2008, 1:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurCal
The most diificult thing for me to get clean is the front forks. I usually use a wheel brush and the alloy wheel cleaner but it still takes a while.

Does anyone have any tips?
I just finished installing new fork seals and had the dealer install a new tire. My rims and forks were very dirty/greesey from the leaking fork seals as well as a leaking stearing damper. On the fork seals, while cleaning the inside with brake cleaner i sprayed a little on the outside as well. Then, after hearing about a tip from a female friend, I used Simple Green to finish it off. I just sprayed it on and let is soak a few seconds and then wiped off all of the left over grime.

Rob Asay
99 Canyon Red Lt
"The True Red Dragon"
1982 Honda "Silver Wing"
1986 Gold Wing Interstate "Blue Babe"
1978 Gold Wing
1976 Kawasaki 900
1967 Honda 305 Scrambler
post #10 of 14 Old Aug 5th, 2011, 5:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceFPrichard
Arthur,
Having to remove the front guard recently proved to me how simple the operation was. Simply by removing the front guard you can the reach all of the forks. I then used a soft nylon pot cleaner and some soapy water, like wash and polish car cleaner. The finish was as new and no damage to any of the paint.
Bruce
Perth, Australia
Ulysses #39110

Hi all, After removing the front guard and cleaning the fork I have found damage to the paint, anyone one know what type of paint is needed for touching up the damage marks?

Regards Bob.
post #11 of 14 Old Aug 5th, 2011, 8:57 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by robasay
I just finished installing new fork seals and had the dealer install a new tire. My rims and forks were very dirty/greesey from the leaking fork seals as well as a leaking stearing damper. On the fork seals, while cleaning the inside with brake cleaner i sprayed a little on the outside as well. Then, after hearing about a tip from a female friend, I used Simple Green to finish it off. I just sprayed it on and let is soak a few seconds and then wiped off all of the left over grime.
I also use Simple Green. It works quite well especially on the brake dust on alloy wheels the front forks too. You can see the wonder as you are spraying it on. And I did not get that tip from a female friend. No chips noticed in paint as yet occasional washes.
ride safe
post #12 of 14 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 5:31 am

As others have recommended, take off the front guard and get the forks and associated parts clean by whichever method works best for you, then, here's my tip from old motocross/enduro days - wipe down the forward facing surfaces of the forks with some non stick cooking product (like Pure n Simple here in Oz), but don't get any on the disc rotors. It tends to make the crud and bugs wash off easily. The alloy on the forks appears to be a bead blast like finish, I think it makes the crud stick worse. Hope this helps.
post #13 of 14 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 11:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigOne
Hi all, After removing the front guard and cleaning the fork I have found damage to the paint, anyone one know what type of paint is needed for touching up the damage marks?

Regards Bob.
I would try Wurth Silver wheel spray paint.

2002 K1200LT
post #14 of 14 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 11:36 pm
Super Moderator

Here is the wheel paint that matches exactly the K1200LT wheels:

http://www.1z-usa.com/einszett_wheel_paint.html

Dan Finazzo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in