Dissapointed in headlights - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 9:25 pm Thread Starter

Dissapointed in headlights

Coming from the Goldwing, the LT has terrible lighting. I just changed out the low beam to HID but I was not impressed. Even with the HID and PIAA aux lights, it doesn't hold a candle to the 'wing. ( pun intended )

I live in deer country and ride at night so still need more light, is the HID highbeam the next step?

Joe Van Orsdol
Zimmerman Mn
'02 K1200LT
'94 K75S for sale
'11 DR650 Alaska Bike
'13 KTM 250XCW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 9:33 pm

Re: Dissapointed in headlights

I hear ya, Joe.. I had to "adjust" the PIAA's... and finally got "adequate", not "good" coverage.

So...if you "need" more light, yeah, more HID's are the option.

Someone posted a link for HID's from Harbor Freight..... something I am going to look into.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 9:36 pm

Joe,

The HID high beam works great for really lighting up the road, however, some people complain that it is so bright it isn't very practical. If there is any traffic near you it may be too bright to use. I personally find it great when I need it and am glad I installed the high beam when I installed the low beam.

Good Luck,
Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->

post #4 of 13 Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 9:57 pm

Here is one link:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95058

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #5 of 13 Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 9:23 pm

I had HID's low and hi beams, and I was constantly making the cage drivers unhappy; the low beam HID cutoff angle always was shining to high up and right, right into their eyes. I ended up replacing the low beam HID with the Ducati Design system. Not HID brightness, but I am happy with the results. Looks good on the bike too!
post #6 of 13 Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 9:35 pm

I installed low and high beam HID's ,Ebay $84 with postage .the low is great and the high beam is way bright ,not for use around other vehicles but I can see deer 2 or 3 hundred yards down the road .could be that you got different color temperature than I did ,my are 3500 I think , I picked the "Diamond White" was the second most light out put .

Bob G

99LT
post #7 of 13 Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 9:39 pm Thread Starter

I was going to ordre the highbeam today but was told by Fashtek today not to use HID if you flash your highbeam. Not sure what I want to do now.

Joe Van Orsdol
Zimmerman Mn
'02 K1200LT
'94 K75S for sale
'11 DR650 Alaska Bike
'13 KTM 250XCW
post #8 of 13 Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 11:24 pm

Joe,

As I plan to add a modulator to my LT, I too have not wanted to replace the high beam with a HID unit. So maybe you'll want to consider the same alternative ... HID auxillary lights.

I put some Trailblazer SMRC-16 (I think that's the number) 30 watt lights on my RT. Right where PIAAs would normally go under the oil cooler using an Ezy-Mount. I also have a HID H4 replacement. I can turn on the auxillary lights seperately. The light output is much better than the PIAAs I replaced.

On my LT, I have been considering the 4" version of the Trailblazer HID lights. I think they come in 30 and 40 watt versions. I plan to put them down low by the wings for a better log distance projector. When you put lights up high, you often have to dip them so much you can't see too far down the road. But I have not finalized my location yet (good things as funds are needed for other things too).

FWIW, there was a posting I saw a while back for some inexpensive Harbor Freight HID fog lights. Not sure of the beam pattern, but that too might be a consideration. I like fog & driving lights so I can choose which to use.

Just a thought...

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
post #9 of 13 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 9:31 am
Lifetime Supporter

Cool Re: Dissapointed in headlights

I put the CQ HID on my '05 over a year ago and have had no problems with cagers. It has the 5000 temp which is a nice white and I can really see. The OEM hi-beam is never used as all it appears to do is light the tops of the trees. I also have PIAAs but they really need to be aimed properly.
Friends have told me they know it is me coming down the road.

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
post #10 of 13 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 10:19 am Thread Starter

I looked at those and they are 6000K which is supposed to be real blue or purple and not as effective as a lower temperature. I'd like to find some "affordable" good ones though!

Joe Van Orsdol
Zimmerman Mn
'02 K1200LT
'94 K75S for sale
'11 DR650 Alaska Bike
'13 KTM 250XCW
post #11 of 13 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 10:44 am

If you mean the Trailtech lights, they are actually 5600 K and not much different then my 4300 K H4 conversion. They are not blue or purple like the car lights I've seen. They are quite similar to the PIAAs I had previously installed in color quality, just brighter.

With all three bulbs (H4 & TT) the light color is indestinquishable. All I see is a bright white area in front of me. I'm going out this weekend to adjust the lights in an indoor warehouse where I can work a bit easier to aling them. If you are interested I can take some pictures for comparision.

post #12 of 13 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 11:38 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKnowles
If you mean the Trailtech lights, they are actually 5600 K and not much different then my 4300 K H4 conversion. They are not blue or purple like the car lights I've seen. They are quite similar to the PIAAs I had previously installed in color quality, just brighter.

With all three bulbs (H4 & TT) the light color is indestinquishable. All I see is a bright white area in front of me. I'm going out this weekend to adjust the lights in an indoor warehouse where I can work a bit easier to aling them. If you are interested I can take some pictures for comparision.
From the Harbor Freight website:

Specifications
Construction: High Impact Plastic Body with Tempered Glass Lens, Aluminum Starter Box
Power Requirement:
12 VDC, 3A (both lights), 5A fuse (included)
Bulb Color: Blue
Bulb Type: H3 6000K
Total Weight: 1.6 lb.
Light Dimensions: 3-7/8” D x 3-1/4” W x 3” H

Joe Van Orsdol
Zimmerman Mn
'02 K1200LT
'94 K75S for sale
'11 DR650 Alaska Bike
'13 KTM 250XCW
post #13 of 13 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 12:55 pm

Gotcha, I was talking about the Trailtech lights. Not the Harbor Freight lights.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in