Riding from Chicago to Austin,TX - Route Suggestions? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 8:40 pm Thread Starter

Riding from Chicago to Austin,TX - Route Suggestions?

On May 13, I am riding to Austin from our home in Chicago to visit our son and his family who have recently moved there. I'm thinking of taking I-57/I-55 south to Memphis, then to Little Rock, and from there to Austin via Dallas. I am allowing four days. My preference is to travel some on the interstates, but I'd like to find some off-slab riding as well.

I'll appreciate any route suggestions - for any part of the trip.

With thanks,

John

John Roadhouse
'08 K 1200 LT
'07 R 1200 GS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 8:45 pm
Gold Supporter

Re: Riding from Chicago to Austin,TX - Route Suggestions?

Since you want to run the slab I would take I-70 into St. Louis, then catch I-44 which runs along Route 66. You can jump on and off the interstate as you wish and cruise Route 66 all the way to Oklahoma City, then take I-35 to Austin.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 27 Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 9:40 pm

Based on another message I read I would suggest another route going south out of Oklahoma City. If you take I-44 to Lawton, OK you can ride south on 281 and come into Austin from the west. The hill country is nice especially when the blue bonnets and Indian paint brush are blooming. I-35 is the quicker way but you aren't going to be to far out of the way using 281 and will arrive in Austin having seen some scenery.

post #4 of 27 Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 9:55 pm

That is an open request... depends on what you need to do. If you have tight schedule, Interstate is the way. If you want to spend a few extra hours and have a more liesurely trip, then the options in Texas are huge!

You can go to Big Bend.. it's a little over a day ride past Austin.. =) or the Twisted Sisters, which are only a couple of hours...

I-35 in Texas was built on the Balcones' Fault line. West of I-35 is "rocky" and called the "Hill Country"... East is rolling "Blackdirt farmland"..

So, depends upon you.. and your riding distances/pace... Or, just get to Austin and take a couple days to "ride the Hill Country" !!!!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #5 of 27 Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 7:44 am

John, I live in East Texas and I rarely get on I-35, traffic is horrible and there's always construction. IF you do go through Little Rock, Arkansas, you'll be on I-30 of course. I would go to Mt. Pleasant, TX and head south on Hwy 271. Go to Tyler, TX and hit Loop 323. Here you can go either way, but work your way around Tyler's loop and take Hwy 79 south towards Palestine, TX. Hwy 79 will go all the way to Austin and put you out on I-35 just north of Austin. I go this way whenever I go to Austin. It much prettier and in my opinion safer than I-35. The road is good and you won't have to go through Dallas traffic. Give me a holler if you get in this area and need anything! Craig

1999 K1200LT since April 2006
2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Nov. 1999-April 2006
post #6 of 27 Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 9:33 pm Thread Starter

Many thanks for all the the excellent Chicago-Austin route suggestions, and especially the off-slab alternatives. Sounds like I could ride via St. Louis one way, and via Memphis the other.

I-35 sounds problematic, with lots of traffic and repairs. Any other interstate warnings of which I should be aware?

I would like to ride the country around Austin, as I will have time to do that while visiting there. Any suggestions for Hill Country rides?

Again, many thanks. This is my first ride to TX - and my first ride of this distance! I'm really looking forward to it . . .

So in addition to routes, any pearls of wisdom from you veterans about my anticipated road trip I'll much appreciate.

John

John Roadhouse
'08 K 1200 LT
'07 R 1200 GS
post #7 of 27 Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 9:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroadhouse
Many thanks for all the the excellent Chicago-Austin route suggestions, and especially the off-slab alternatives. Sounds like I could ride via St. Louis one way, and via Memphis the other.

I-35 sounds problematic, with lots of traffic and repairs. Any other interstate warnings of which I should be aware?

I would like to ride the country around Austin, as I will have time to do that while visiting there. Any suggestions for Hill Country rides?

Again, many thanks. This is my first ride to TX - and my first ride of this distance! I'm really looking forward to it . . .

So in addition to routes, any pearls of wisdom from you veterans about my anticipated road trip I'll much appreciate.

John
John, ping Jerry England (Lonewuff) and ask him about the site he posted last week that covers the Tejas Hill Country riding routes. I don't have it handy, butt I bet he does. Good luck on your trip to Austin, and have fun riding the Hill Country - do 'em both safe.
post #8 of 27 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 6:36 am

When you get to Memphis head south on 61 to Tunica if you like to gamble. Maybe a 20 minute drive south. From there you could head south on 61 to Hwy 1 that parallels the Mississippi river to Rolling Fork then turn towards Shreveport, again if you like to gamble ( I like to gamble) out of Shreveport you can take 79 all the way to Austin. Nice road with a lot of places to eat along the way.
post #9 of 27 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 7:59 am

If it were me, I would travel south to Hannibal Mo. come down the river road, to St. Louis and cut over on any number of roads in S.E. Mo. to Northern Ar. Hwy 19 would be an excellent choice to take south all the way into Ar. Once there, you really can't go wrong. Just head in a S.W. fashion. Hwy 7 is a great North South route in Ar. Don't limit yourself to Interstates, I was in S. Mo. and N. Ar. last weekend, the redbuds and dogwoods were out and it was fantastic. Have fun and good luck.

DCH
post #10 of 27 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 8:11 am
Gold Supporter

John,

Here is the web site Dick mentions.

http://www.hillcountryrider.com/Home.html

It is a fantastic reference for ridin the Hill Country. If you have the time I would hit the Twisted Sisters for sure. The best are FM 335 and FM 337 if you are short on time, but FM 336 if you can (mind the cattle guards). These sit about two hours west of Austin and S. 16 from Bandera to Kerrville is a great route too.

If you want to spend the night in the area I can't recommend D' Rose Inn highly enough. It is for bikes only and she does it up right.

Jerry
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #11 of 27 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 9:54 am
Bouncer

No offense, Jerry, but that is hardly a decent resource for riding in the Hill Country. No maps, 90% of the locations are geared for the bar hopping harley crowd, and the #1 eatery in the Hill Country, the Lost Maples Cafe in Utopia isn't even listed. I guess if you like google adwords popping up, it's a great site.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #12 of 27 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 11:22 am

I agree El Jeffe, here is a good site for texas roads, eateries etc. Look in the forum under, members section. Coopers BBQ in Llano ain't bad either.

www.twtex.com

DCH
post #13 of 27 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 12:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
No offense, Jerry, but that is hardly a decent resource for riding in the Hill Country. No maps, 90% of the locations are geared for the bar hopping harley crowd, and the #1 eatery in the Hill Country, the Lost Maples Cafe in Utopia isn't even listed. I guess if you like google adwords popping up, it's a great site.
Yeah it is. Sorta at the bottom of the two column list.

Man, I didn't know there were that many eatin' places in Leakey!! Guess they've added 'em in since I wuz there 3-4 years ago!! 'Bout time for another run up there!!
post #14 of 27 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 2:27 pm
Gold Supporter

Quote:
What chu talkin bout Jeff...I saw it on the list myself. I made sure it was on the list as well as my favorite hamburger stop in Camp Wood. It's on there. I didn't notice the pop ups myself as I was looking at the "Good" info.

Jerry
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #15 of 27 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 8:28 pm

As the owners of HillCountryRider.Com we appreciate your favorable comments and we will do all we can to improve the site based on your feedback. We do have some Google ads on the site to help (very little) to pay the bills but no popups, etc.

We try to add whatever you need to make your riding experience out here better and you can be sure we are working on maps right now. What else do you need, what would you like to see added? We'll work very hard to make it happen.

Again, thanks for checking us out and for your comments
!
post #16 of 27 Old Apr 25th, 2008, 5:37 am

Quote:
Hey Jeff, what bike is listed in Jerry's sig line? Seems to me that's the right site for him now.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #17 of 27 Old Apr 25th, 2008, 6:52 am Thread Starter

Thanks everybody, once again, for all of your good input on my upcoming Chicago-Austin-Chicago ride. I appreciate the help on routes to Austin, as well as suggestions re. Hill Country rides.

I checked out the web sites for routes/rides out of Austin, eg. Hill Country. I didn't see maps, although I may have missed that link being new to the sites, or perhaps they are contained in some of the different threads. It would be cool to be able to click on a particular route and see the map itself (similar to google maps), but I didn't see this feature on either Two Wheeled Texans or Ride the Hill Country. Am I just missing it on the sites?

If I need service while in Austin, do you recommend Lone Star BMW? Alternatives?

This forum is fantastic and you all are an amazing resource!

Thanks, John

John Roadhouse
'08 K 1200 LT
'07 R 1200 GS
post #18 of 27 Old Apr 25th, 2008, 7:06 am

you will not go wrong with Lone Star BMW. If you are looking to just change oil give me a pm and you can do it at my house. I have the tools you need.
post #19 of 27 Old Apr 25th, 2008, 7:56 am

I checked out the web sites for routes/rides out of Austin, eg. Hill Country. I didn't see maps, although I may have missed that link being new to the sites, or perhaps they are contained in some of the different threads. It would be cool to be able to click on a particular route and see the map itself (similar to google maps), but I didn't see this feature on either Two Wheeled Texans or Ride the Hill Country. Am I just missing it on the sites?

On the TWTEX.com home page, you need to register and become a member. Then go to forums and then the members section. In the members section there is Roads and Routes. Tons of info, maps and videos of roads in Texas, many of them in the Hill Country.

DCH
post #20 of 27 Old Apr 25th, 2008, 7:59 am
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
Hey Jeff, what bike is listed in Jerry's sig line? Seems to me that's the right site for him now.

Thbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb!!!

Jerry
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #21 of 27 Old Apr 25th, 2008, 3:31 pm

If you can manage it, I would recommend going on Illinois route 45 once you get to central Illinois and as you head south the rolling hills and scenery start to get better. If you get a chance go to the Garden of the Gods near Vienna IL. If you take route 45 its not too far off from there. Nice place to walk around and look at scenery. I like this route much better the I-57. To get back to I-57 to continue your trip its just a straight shot for a half an hour to 45 min.

If you need anything after your first 3 hours of riding I live in Mattoon IL right off of route 57. I would be more than willing to assist you with something. Just PM me and I will get you some information.

Jeremy
1999 Champagne
Bike #70151
post #22 of 27 Old Apr 25th, 2008, 6:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroadhouse
On May 13, I am riding to Austin from our home in Chicago to visit our son and his family who have recently moved there. I'm thinking of taking I-57/I-55 south to Memphis, then to Little Rock, and from there to Austin via Dallas. I am allowing four days. My preference is to travel some on the interstates, but I'd like to find some off-slab riding as well.

I'll appreciate any route suggestions - for any part of the trip.

With thanks,

John
John...A little (much) off topic. Consider getting a BeadRider for your saddle before you go. The stock "comfort" seat is not good for long rides. If you can't get one in time for your trip, you can borrow mine as long as I have it back by June 20. PM me if you need it.
Jim

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

post #23 of 27 Old May 10th, 2008, 3:22 pm Thread Starter

Thanks again to all of you for your help on my upcoming ride from Chicago to Austin - am leaving on Tuesday (5/13).

Our site and this forum are awesome resources for riders, and one of the reasons that I am learning so much and enjoying "the world of the road!"

John

John Roadhouse
'08 K 1200 LT
'07 R 1200 GS
post #24 of 27 Old May 10th, 2008, 6:11 pm

John,

I agree that 79 south from the palestine / East Texas Area is a great alternative. If you have time and want to do some weekend rides,...I ride with a Saturday and Sunday group that ride out of the austin area. Always hill country focused rides.

Pick up a copy of "Ride Texas" for $20 at most any Texas Motorcycle shop...or could probably mail order. The magazine is great as well.

WWW.ridetexas.com is the link. Well worth the $20 if you will do any texas riding at all by yourself....pretty much every noteworthy road in Tejas.

Also a similar book available for Arkansas. Cant remember the name of it,...but have a copy on the shelf.

There are a couple of great rides between Dallas and Austin that are West of 35 as well (67 Through Glen Rose to 220 into Hico((stop at the Koffee Kup)) then south....haven't looked at a map for Dallas in several Days that is from memory).

Maybe do one coming down, and a different route going back. I do have a spare "Ride Texas" I can lend you as well if you are not able to find one locally or by mail in advance of your trip.

I have a pretty flexible schedule right now, so if you roll into town and want to meet for a cup of coffee and look at maps, Ride Texas book, Arkansas book etc happy to meet with you. I live near the intersection of 1431/183 and Lime creeK roads in Far north Austin / Cedar Park....two more roads you should definitely ride while you are here if time permits. (do a google on Lime Creek Road or Texas 1431 and you should find some reviews)...You could probably tralk me in to a ride or two as well.

Brian in Austin.

Feel free to call as well. 512-913-3969

Last edited by wildwestrider; May 10th, 2008 at 6:20 pm.
post #25 of 27 Old May 10th, 2008, 9:39 pm

Getting into this a little late, but I-40 from Memphis to Little Rock is one of my least favorite stretches of interstate. It is a steady bump-bump-bump ride with (usually) generous amounts of construction. If you take I-57 down, take US 60 from the terminus of I-57 to Poplar Bluff, MO. From there you can take 60 across to Springfield, MO (4 lane divided most of the way) or drop a few miles south and take 160 to Branson. 160 is not the road to take if you are in a hurry, but is one of the great rides in the country. As someone else mentioned, north central and west Arkansas is full of great roads. Google Harrison, AR and there is a link for motorcycle rides in northern Arkansas.
post #26 of 27 Old May 10th, 2008, 10:54 pm

I second the Arkansas rides/road comment..........Fantastic roads.....

Brian

post #27 of 27 Old May 11th, 2008, 7:43 am Thread Starter

Thanks, Glin, for your AR routes, and Brian for your second on that (and for the Ride Texas suggestion).

Brian, I don't think we're too far from each other in Austin. I will be staying with our son and his family in Cedar Park, and would enjoy meeting for coffee and talking you into riding. I plan to arrive during the day on Friday. My cell is 847-987-1122.

Thanks again to all of you for your suggestions - this forum is fantastic!!

John

John Roadhouse
'08 K 1200 LT
'07 R 1200 GS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in