LT noise over about 100km's/hour - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 6:03 am Thread Starter

Angry LT noise over about 100km's/hour

I have a 2003 LT new to me and I find that at speeds over 100Km's per hour (60 miles per hour for you yank's) when the bike leans to the right or left I get what sounds like a loud wind noise (roar).. has anyone else experienced this problem or can shed light on how to correct the problem or what the hell it is....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 6:07 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: LT noise over about 100km's/hour

My first guess, taking simpest things first, would be tire howl. Check the air pressure and wear pattern if this is something that has just started happening out of the blue.
post #3 of 22 Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 6:16 am
cws

Garage

turn the music up Peter... or go faster until it stops

not good enough?
Chuckle might be right about tyres, what brand is on them, how much wear, and any serious cupping?
More info helps to help.
cheers

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #4 of 22 Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 6:20 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion.. the noise increases with increased lean and increased speed.. the tyres are Metzlers and seem to have warn evenly... I have only had the Bike for a week but have put 2000k on it in this time and the noise has been with me from the start... I have changed screen setting in corners to no avail...
post #5 of 22 Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 6:36 am Thread Starter

Angry Re: LT noise over about 100km's/hour

The tyres are Metzler Marathon's and have no cupping... as the side tread of the tyres would have less wear then the centres and the Bike is quite while upright wouldn't this eliminate the tyres as a source of the sound... I run 37/46 in the tyres... the sound is the same one up or two up loaded...
post #6 of 22 Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 6:41 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

I have about 7000 on a set of Metzlers and when I lean they change pitch and I hear them. Even though they look fine and are not cupped, and ride true and strait, they do change pitch in a lean.

Only thing I can think of that I have experienced, that seems in line with the more experienced peoples opinions here.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #7 of 22 Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 6:46 am
cws

Garage

many of us run 42/48, its a bit harder ride but the Metz's seem to handle better.
Dunno about the noise, I've always got the radio piped to my ears, so don't tend to notice odd noises
Presume you've adjusted the windscreen to get the best "air bubble" protection/noise ratio? I tend to find at speed I need to have it down a little to reduce the noise, even though that might not give the most comfortable air flow. Although that would be weird if its only while leaning.....
not much help, I know...!

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #8 of 22 Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 7:25 am

yep, its your tires...I had the same event on my way home from picking up my bike last year and still have the same noise, you'll get used to it. Never had this on any previous bikes, I put it down to all the weight.

Ron

2008 RT
2002 LT champagne
2003 Shadow
1986 Yamaha 500
1981 Honda Twinstar
post #9 of 22 Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 7:43 am Thread Starter

Wink Re: LT noise over about 100km's/hour

Thanks Guys sounds like the radio isn't loud enough....
post #10 of 22 Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 9:59 am

I just had a new Metzeler put on the front and with less than 500kms it "growls" in turns as well. I thought when the front tire started to "growl" it was time to change it. It must be inherent to the tire.
post #11 of 22 Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 10:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbrial
The tyres are Metzler Marathon's and have no cupping... as the side tread of the tyres would have less wear then the centres and the Bike is quite while upright wouldn't this eliminate the tyres as a source of the sound... I run 37/46 in the tyres... the sound is the same one up or two up loaded...
Typical Metz howling noise. Nothing dangerous, just annoying at times so as recommended just turn up the volume and ride.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #12 of 22 Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 10:50 am

Not sure what tires on my bike are, but anyway my bike is brand new and the first day that I took the bike out I experienced the howling when I lean left or right of center. The noise has not subsided after having now put just over 400 miles on the new girl. Another thing that I've noticed is when applying the brakes I seem to pick up the road surface a lot more, and this happens either on cement or asphalt.

Regards,

Quadrunner
post #13 of 22 Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 11:24 am

Just by way of comparison, my BT020's make much more noise than my Metzeler's ever did. I run the air the same in the BT020's as I did the Metz, 42/48.

Peter Tessin
2002 Champagne
post #14 of 22 Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 11:55 am

I've got Metz's as well and have the same growl when I lean side to side. I just keep it upright and tune it out. At first I thought "rear drive" but it's been 6000 miles. So, ignore it.

Craig

2000 K1200LTC "Little Turd"
2001 Harley Softail Deuce "Ground Pounder"
BMWMOA #113448
post #15 of 22 Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 3:52 pm

Uh huh, the dreaded Metzeler "howl".....mine did this too ....as mentioned above , this is typical.

On tires for these bikes , higher pressures seem to help alleviate the cupping and squaring issues. Try front 42-3psi and rear 48psi. Also , there are not too many tire choices - Bridgestone , Metzeler, Avon, I beleive.

I had Metz's and went to Avon's and for the most part like them. They tend to wobble slightly at low speeds while decelerating with your hands OFF the bars. They do have very good traction and were very reasonably priced.

Good Luck
post #16 of 22 Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 4:47 pm

Turn up the radio..?

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #17 of 22 Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 5:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckle
My first guess, taking simpest things first, would be tire howl. Check the air pressure and wear pattern if this is something that has just started happening out of the blue.
Front or rear or both tire(s) is(are) worn.
post #18 of 22 Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 5:41 pm

Quote:
I have a 2003 LT new to me and I find that at speeds over 100Km's per hour (60 miles per hour for you yank's) when the bike leans to the right or left I get what sounds like a loud wind noise (roar).. has anyone else experienced this problem or can shed light on how to correct the problem or what the hell it is....
I don't know if I would call it tire noise. I had this same noise on my 03 LTC only in a left or right turn. I had it with the OEM tires and I have it with the Avons as well.
What it sounds like is the wind coming through the front fender while in a turn. Maybe just the design of the rake of the bike and fender of this year bike.
I only here it when the music is off.
post #19 of 22 Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 6:37 pm

Quote:
I had the same noise with my bike. It seem the the characteristics of Metz tires. It is probably tire noise. Increase the air pressure. Should help and lesson the chances of cupping.

2012 K1600GT - Red

2011 R1200RT
2000K1200LTC - Champagne
1984 Yamaha Venture
1975 Honda 750
1973 Honda 750
post #20 of 22 Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 10:12 am

I have Metzlers on my bike too. No idea the total miles on them as I bought the bike used, but the wear looks normal.

I've noticed the same thing, and--having noticed it--can even hear it if I am just making the slight lean necessary to change lanes at speed.

I don't worry about it, chalking it up to normal for the tires. Hope you find all the similar comments here reassuring.

Custom sig temporarily unavaiulable while I think about it.
post #21 of 22 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 5:04 am Thread Starter

Wink Re: LT noise over about 100km's/hour

Thanks Guys,
I have increased the tyre pressure as suggested to 42/48 and the noise has reduced considerable. Will make shore to keep my pressure up and I guess its most important to do it from new to keep them quieter.
post #22 of 22 Old Apr 24th, 2008, 9:38 am

Quote:
Thanks Guys,
I have increased the tyre pressure as suggested to 42/48 and the noise has reduced considerable. Will make shore to keep my pressure up and I guess its most important to do it from new to keep them quieter.
Several of our local BMW Club members have had Metzler tire people suggest 50 PSI for the rear tire on the LT and even more if really loaded. I don't like or use Metzlers so I have no real experience with them other than they were on the bike when I purchased it used. Going from worn Metzlers to 020 radials was quite a change noise and handling wise.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in