What I paid for my 6000 Service - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Apr 21st, 2008, 12:13 pm Thread Starter
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Thumbs up What I paid for my 6000 Service

From these guys: http://www.trans-amcycles.com/

I gave 157.90 to get my book stamped at 6800 miles.

That was also changing my FD with my banned oil name product 70w80. It was pretty good looking for 3700 miles on it and of course the paste on the plug, but no chunks.

Dave who works on my bike said not to bother changing the tranny as it would come out new with only 3700 on it. I took his advice.

The computer makes my GS911 look like a toy. He spent some time showing me ALL the diagnostics it CAN preform. Quit a sophisticated and capable diagnostic tool!

In general conversation I asked about the 2010 LT. He grinned and said he was told " it will be a five cylinder diesel"

Also speaking with Charlie who is the Service Manager and is second to none, about the lose of dealers. He got a bit pissed, not at me but BMW saying they wanted to tear his building down, he had to put up a sign that would cost in the $20,000.00 range, and he WILL not sign their agreement. Said they have had the brand for so many years and then they tried to force him to sign it and he wont. His quote "when they pry my cold dead hands from around the pen"

On the Husqavana buy out, they thought is was strategic to growing the BMW network on that buy out. Makes sense, and good news if it is the strategy.

I have preached the supporting of a dealer and will continue to do my part. I do not like to spend money on things I can do myself way cheaper. In this case I swallow, ride the hr and 15 mins each way, and don't have a bad taste in my mouth at all.

The service, information, banter, and knowing I am spending money on my bikes future is worth it to have my advocate in a bad situation with BMW.

So that was my morning, and it did beat a day at the office all to hell.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Apr 21st, 2008, 8:38 pm

Re: What I paid for my 6000 Service

Lee, thanks for posting your experiences at this particular dealer!

I'm about the same riding time from Trans-Am, I was wondering about bringing my (replacement) LT in for service I cannot (or don't want to) do myself.

Jon

2011 R1200RT - not named yet

2005 K1200LT Blue - "Sapphire" - gone
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1995 ST1100 Red - "Red Rider"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMW MOA #139052
post #3 of 6 Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 12:17 am Thread Starter
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

I don't think you will find a more honest shop with good guys. Dave the wrench is a good guy and will be honest and do as much or as little as you want, but he will explain his thought process based on your bikes condition. Good guy.

Just tell them Lee with the Blue LT told you to try them out. I get nothing out of it but the more a group of guys frequent a Dealer they are more valuable to the dealer and it helps all involved. It is a win win.

And as I said if we want them around we got to give a little to support them.

On a thread drift my oil was BLACK at 3700 miles. Good Castrol 10-40 Winter oil. No way I will go 6000 on dino in this thing. Dave said one of the things is the motor is built tight to start, and runs hot for efficiency so those two factors break the oil down pretty fast. When I settle into 6000 changes after 12000 it will be with synth oil, if not I will stay on 3000 with dino.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959

post #4 of 6 Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 12:37 am

Jon
I to asked on this forum about dealers in the area, and Lee pointed me to Trans-Am..I had my Yearly service done there Feb 28 (24deg F !!) and as he has stated, They are a Good Bunch of People.Very honest and up front with you. Don't hesitate to use them..

Rick

Rick G.
2005 K1200LT 'Prom Queen'
2005 DL-1000 V-Strom 'Moose'
post #5 of 6 Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 6:14 am

Lee and Rick,

Agree totally with supporting BMW dealerships that are flexible, work with your needs, and of course provide quality service. And since Trans-Am is just a nice ride 'down the pike' I will be calling them.

I picked up (just over a week ago) a 2005 LT with 5200 miles. Took last half of last week off from work and SO and I put 1000 miles on it riding down thru Harper's Ferry, Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway.

Want Trans-Am to do the fluids except for engine oil and filter which I did this past Sunday. I already have 4 bottles of BMW DOT 4 as well as BMW tranny and FD fluid. (Fluids originally purchased for another bike that I ended up not getting.)

Jon

2011 R1200RT - not named yet

2005 K1200LT Blue - "Sapphire" - gone

1995 ST1100 Red - "Red Rider"

BMW MOA #139052
post #6 of 6 Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 9:17 am

Irks me when the Mother co bullies a dealer. They soon forget who's making them money!!

Warm & Safe Heated Clothing Sale- Lowest Prices!!

Contact Me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in