MUTH "like" mirrors . . . on the cheap - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old Dec 17th, 2005, 1:55 pm Thread Starter

Question MUTH "like" mirrors . . . on the cheap

I was surfing eBay and came across THIS PRODUCT. I'm sure they don't compare with the quality (read: "transparency") of a Muth mirror...but they may be "good enough" just the same. Anybody try these, or something similar? I might get a set for the Ninja. And if I like them, I'll get a set for the LT. There only $30 to your door. And they come in red or blue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old Dec 17th, 2005, 1:56 pm

Make 'em yourself and be really cheap
post #3 of 33 Old Dec 17th, 2005, 2:01 pm Thread Starter

Yea...I thought of that. But for less than $30 . . . they come right to your door . . . you don't have to do any sourcing of the parts and wire, no soldering, etc., etc...

That stuff, and I'm just too lazy sometimes. Guess it's just all this snow. I'm like a bear that goes into hibernation . . . only doing what's absolutely necessary.

post #4 of 33 Old Dec 17th, 2005, 3:09 pm
CWF

Hey Joe...Great Find!! If you do order them please let the rest of the great unwashed (well me anyway) know if you like em. I never wanted a set bad enough to pay for the Muth's but these are a different story.

Curtis
2006 K1200GT
post #5 of 33 Old Dec 17th, 2005, 4:04 pm

interesting

Joe,
These might be fitted to the rear saddle bag, too! Let me know what you think of them!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 33 Old Dec 17th, 2005, 4:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
These might be fitted to the rear saddle bag, too!
Por Que??

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #7 of 33 Old Dec 17th, 2005, 4:18 pm

Do they come in Amber?
If its only red then unfortunately we cant use the red ones in Australia. Red is for brake lights only.

Great find though.

I have been thinking for awhile the best way to make my own but these might do the trick.
post #8 of 33 Old Dec 17th, 2005, 4:33 pm Thread Starter

Red face

I didn't see any amber ones...sorry.
post #9 of 33 Old Dec 17th, 2005, 4:48 pm Thread Starter

Well, I placed my bid. If I lose that auction, I'll just hit the 'Buy It Now' button on another auction. Just trying to save $2. Anywho...I'll report back in about a week or so once they're installed.
post #10 of 33 Old Dec 17th, 2005, 11:19 pm

Hi Joe,

Deals not much money, but I'd be a little careful with the lister. Says he has 14 transactions - all positive, but has only been a member of ebay since Dec. 9th 2005. If you check his profile and look at the items he has bought, the 14 items total about 98 cents. Looks like he was trying to build a positive profile on the cheap. Doesn't have one transaction listed where he was a seller. At least its not a lot of money if it doesn't work out. The item looks really interesting, since I haven't wanted to put out the big bucks for the Muth either. Let us know how it works out.

Carl

Euclid, Ohio
2003 Silver LTE
1971 HD XLH Sportster
post #11 of 33 Old Dec 17th, 2005, 11:23 pm Thread Starter

We have a winner!

I did win the auction, so I'll be reporting about it soon (hopefully!).
post #12 of 33 Old Dec 18th, 2005, 8:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
I did win the auction, so I'll be reporting about it soon (hopefully!).
With photos, please.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #13 of 33 Old Dec 18th, 2005, 9:39 am

Red or Blue

I'm thinking about installing them too and thought about BLUE vs RED. Any reason to not use BLUE? It is a little different and might stand out. I'll probably order for the bike and both cars.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #14 of 33 Old Dec 18th, 2005, 10:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
I'm thinking about installing them too and thought about BLUE vs RED. Any reason to not use BLUE? It is a little different and might stand out. I'll probably order for the bike and both cars.
One word "cops"

Blue lights are only allowed on police and emergency vehicles.

My old Harley (used to be an LA cop bike) had a front fender light in blue,
I retained it for the nostalgic look, got a ticket (20 years ago) changed the lens.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #15 of 33 Old Dec 18th, 2005, 10:37 am

the wires ?

That's a good reason. By the way, just curious about the wire (s). Wondering if they are run on the outside of the mirror. Could make it difficult to keep clean. Seems to be the only main negitive issue.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #16 of 33 Old Dec 18th, 2005, 11:28 am

Hate to be overly cautious, but the more I look at this guys profile on ebay the more I have doubts. He has upped his 100% positive rating to 16 overnight by buying two more 1 cent items. Still has no feedback from any buyers. Has 186 expired listings for this item with only 10 sold. Has another 118 current listings for this item. Pretty sure he has to pay at least the insertion fees to Ebay for all those unsold listings and the new ones that go unsold. Hope its not a get the money and run scheme. Tread cautiously here. Will be anxious to hear how Joe's transaction turns out.

Carl

Euclid, Ohio
2003 Silver LTE
1971 HD XLH Sportster

Last edited by sprdoorman; Dec 18th, 2005 at 11:34 am. Reason: Mistyped quantity of current listings
post #17 of 33 Old Dec 18th, 2005, 12:10 pm

Lightbulb

I agree - this seller looks fishy to me as well. I looked at all items this seller has won to get this positive feedback - they are all for some one cent ebooks; one of them is for one cent 'invite' to open a free Gmail account (which I also have). It is basically a scam where there is a cheapest transaction possible on Ebay which allows for posting a positive feedback. In other words, a person is simply buying a positive feedback for one cent. This is fraudulent activity because it makes a feedback system on Ebay useless. I mean, anybody can build a 100 positive feedback rating for himself for $1! Another problem is that seller has no feedback from buyers at all. That's always a big red flag!

I have reported this activity to Ebay Security Center.

On the positive side, this seller could be legit - he or she may just be doing this just to build quick credibility for themselves, since seller is newly registered. Also, this seller accepts Paypal and this protects the buyer for upto $1000. The item may be OK as well.

I am also curious to see what happens - if it's legit, I am also interested in this item. I will not bid yet - too many IF's in my opinion, too risky.
post #18 of 33 Old Dec 18th, 2005, 12:28 pm

Seen these in an auto parts store once before but not sure which one. Here is location http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/sticsidviewm.html . THey are a bit more but maybe more legit.
post #19 of 33 Old Dec 18th, 2005, 1:00 pm Thread Starter

Exclamation Please HOLD OFF Bidding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprdoorman
Hate to be overly cautious, but the more I look at this guys profile on ebay the more I have doubts. He has upped his 100% positive rating to 16 overnight by buying two more 1 cent items. Still has no feedback from any buyers. Has 186 expired listings for this item with only 10 sold. Has another 118 current listings for this item. Pretty sure he has to pay at least the insertion fees to Ebay for all those unsold listings and the new ones that go unsold. Hope its not a get the money and run scheme. Tread cautiously here. Will be anxious to hear how Joe's transaction turns out.
I consider myself a fairly experienced eBay'er having sold over 300 guitars through eBay...and, I have bought my share of items on eBay. BUT, even an old fox can get his foot caught in a snare sooner or later. I'm going to attempt to sniff out whether this guy is a crook or not before sending my money. So let's all sit tight and see how this unfolds. Fortunately, worse case scenario is I lose $28.94. Time will tell. Stay tuned...
post #20 of 33 Old Dec 19th, 2005, 11:03 am

Having built my own, and along the way experimented with MANY led's, I highly doubt if these will have enough output to be noticeable, especially during daylight... "surface mount" leds just don't have the lumens. I think all you are going to be buying is the 'look", no matter what Vendor sells them. Who knows, maybe they are just plain awesome.

Joe, why not mount them on the back of your helmet where they WOULD get noticed?

Some aluminum tape carefully cut into the arrow shape as
a background would greatly enhance the effect. A lightweight coil cord and mini plug jack with a tap to the rear turn signals would be completely out of the way...

You might also be able to send coded messages to ET.

Just another idea.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #21 of 33 Old Dec 19th, 2005, 9:48 pm

LED Mirrors

I bought some of these on ebay about 2 years ago, and they are working fine. I am sure they came from the same dirt floor building in China as these.

Lloyd Morris
Texas
1999 K1200LTC
post #22 of 33 Old Dec 19th, 2005, 10:03 pm

Question What about under the mirror bracket.

Not to highjack your thread.....

But does someone make a turn signal light that might attach under the mirror housing. Either an LED or incandesced?

Many of the new SUVs have them under or on the side.
post #23 of 33 Old Dec 19th, 2005, 10:57 pm

Carried away...

Hey, Joe,
Don't be afraid.. I aint gonna sing.

Here's a link to the Hyper Light site. There are some LED's you can stick in various places...on the bike. http://www.hyperlites.com/prod.html

Hope this helps.. but I don't think they'll be as good as the ones my brother Joe found.

Oh, here is another list of many LED's.. http://stores.ebay.com/TMI-LED-TECHN...Q3amesstQQtZkm

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

Last edited by cfell; Dec 19th, 2005 at 11:15 pm.
post #24 of 33 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 9:22 pm Thread Starter

Exclamation Update!

I emailed the "seller in question", and she replied with a phone number, and an explanation of her feedback rating. I will call her tomorrow. She presents herself as very kind, cordial, and professional. She is not in the least bit surprised that I was suspicious of her, nor was she slighted that I asked her very straight-forward questions. I will report back tomorrow after I speak with her on the phone.
post #25 of 33 Old Dec 21st, 2005, 11:45 am

That's cool. Here are some a little cheaper and in red or amber. Sort of a different look. Scroll down to find them. lot's of other great LED's.

http://stores.ebay.com/TMI-LED-TECHNOLOGY

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans

Jerry P. Hatley

2007 R1200RT (Betty Lou)
2009 Harley Roadglide (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
1999 BMW K1200LT (sold)
2004 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
1998 Harley Roadking Classic (sold)
post #26 of 33 Old Dec 21st, 2005, 12:08 pm

Under mirror LEDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardenross
Not to highjack your thread.....

But does someone make a turn signal light that might attach under the mirror housing. Either an LED or incandesced?

Many of the new SUVs have them under or on the side.
Kisan Tech makes some pretty nifty "chasing" units http://www.kisantech.com/index.php?cat_id=1

-----------------------------------------

The word motorcycle is a verb.

2005 K1200LT "Rolf"
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge
post #27 of 33 Old Dec 21st, 2005, 9:36 pm

Good Idea!

Thanks Kramer.....may be worth a try!
post #28 of 33 Old Jan 13th, 2006, 6:01 pm

Signals?

Hey Joe,

Any updates on the mirror signals?

Carl

Euclid, Ohio
2003 Silver LTE
1971 HD XLH Sportster
post #29 of 33 Old Jan 13th, 2006, 7:09 pm

Inexpensive Mirror Led's

I bought a pair of amber led turn signals manufactured by Pilot Motorsports. They resemble the mercedes in mirror signal that we see on the newer Benz. I used the 3m tape that was on the back of the light. These were flexible so I mounted them vertically on the wide outside edge of the mirrors and ran the wire underneath to the small hole that exsists and taped into the turn signal wires. My concern was that the tape wouldn't hold the signal at the curve on top of the mirror. When activated you can see them from the back, front, and of course the side. I've had them on six months, zero problems! They can be seen at www.NexTag.com scroll down about 1/3 of site. The mercedes mirrors are at the top of the site so you can see what these are modeled after.
post #30 of 33 Old Jan 13th, 2006, 11:02 pm

Thumbs up

Pictures dude, pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Duane

Check the obvious first!
01 LT Champagne "The Starship"
73 Z1 Kawi
and 7 long gone
post #31 of 33 Old Jan 14th, 2006, 12:35 am Thread Starter

Exclamation Took delivery, need installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprdoorman
Hey Joe, Any updates on the mirror signals?
After MUCHO hesitation, I shrugged my shoulders and paid the piper. Well...lo and behold, the things actually showed up on the doorstep. I'm going to try to get them installed this weekend. They actually look pretty cool. They aren't very thin...but I think you will be able to see them in the daytime, AND from a wide angle. Pics to follow...as soon as humanly possible. Thanks for your patience.
post #32 of 33 Old Jan 14th, 2006, 7:06 am

Anxiously awaiting pix before I start building my own with LEDs.

Chuck J

02 K1200LT (Black Beauty)

New friends make it all worthwhile!!! Smile, its catching.
post #33 of 33 Old Nov 24th, 2007, 12:48 pm

Show Glow

Here is a site I found that has them for $15.00,yellow as well as red.
http://stores.ebay.com/showglowlights

Looks promising. While we are working on the mirrors this winter has anyone found/made a bracket to hold a light that bolts to the fairing behind the mirror? Just curious.

Hackercraft
03 LTE
72 75/5 Gone to a new home
03 R1200CLC Hannigan Classic ordered

BMWOA # 134205

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in