Let me GO!!!!!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Apr 21st, 2008, 7:03 am Thread Starter
VTO

Thumbs up Let me GO!!!!!!

Dear friends,
I just completed a 22 hour, all weekend long safety course given by the State of Il through the University of Northern Illinois (NIU). My almost perfect score automatically grants me a M class license. My problem is that I have to go to the D.M.V. and get my present D class license updated and the D.M.V. is closed until tomorrow. I have all my insurance current, but do not know if I can legally ride. Should I just go for it since I am off work today and it will be a sunny 72*. I plan on going for a quiet cruise out in the country. Please vote yes as the itch is causing immense pain.
Ready to roll,
Steve

P,S, I have been riding dirt bikes for 3 years with my boys and I have at least 20 hours on this bike already. I also have the M class riding permit, as I took the test last fall so I could ride with friends.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Apr 21st, 2008, 7:15 am

Re: Let me GO!!!!!!

Must be a drag to ride only on flatland, go to the rockies and enjoy some fun riding with graded roads

BTW I was at the aiport in Northern Illiniois Uni. back in 1988, flew in at winter with a blown heating apperatus and was freezing my a** of!
post #3 of 9 Old Apr 21st, 2008, 8:03 am

If you ride to the Texas DMV on your MC without an endorsement, you will be "ticketed" by the clerk...er, officer.

If you can't get someone to ride it over to the DMV for you, just take the car.... (might be a good example to your kiddo's)

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old Apr 21st, 2008, 8:06 am

Probably can't ride legally- but that doesn't stop scores of riders. Decision is yours, of course, but I would say that you would not be riding legally if stopped by law enforcement. Go ride the dirt bikes instead? And wait til the DMV opens.

Randy
post #5 of 9 Old Apr 21st, 2008, 8:08 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTO
Dear friends,
I just completed a 22 hour, all weekend long safety course given by the State of Il through the University of Northern Illinois (NIU). My almost perfect score automatically grants me a M class license. My problem is that I have to go to the D.M.V. and get my present D class license updated and the D.M.V. is closed until tomorrow. I have all my insurance current, but do not know if I can legally ride. Should I just go for it since I am off work today and it will be a sunny 72*. I plan on going for a quiet cruise out in the country. Please vote yes as the itch is causing immense pain.
Ready to roll,
Steve

P,S, I have been riding dirt bikes for 3 years with my boys and I have at least 20 hours on this bike already. I also have the M class riding permit, as I took the test last fall so I could ride with friends.
I can't say I know what "automatically grants me a M class license" actually implies, but I also see that you know you have to go to the DMV. I would think that the LEO's wouldn't know of an update if they had to search your license data.
Totally your call, for sure. Just between you and me, it's gonna be an awesome day today for a ride.....

Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #6 of 9 Old Apr 21st, 2008, 8:23 am
Cooler on the east coast!!!

It is up to you but the weather today makes the decision so much harder!

FWIW a friend of mine who rides and is a leo does not have an M class license despite my harping on him.

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #7 of 9 Old Apr 21st, 2008, 9:24 am

When I got my cycle endorsement in Michigan in 1986 I had to bring my own bike to the Secretary of State (they handle the DMV stuff here) for the skills test. I asked how I was supposed to get it there if I wasn't legal yet & was told "We don't ask how it gets here, you'll be legal when you leave though".

Rick
'01 LT
post #8 of 9 Old Apr 21st, 2008, 9:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTO
" I also have the M class riding permit, as I took the test last fall so I could ride with friends".
If the permit is still valid what is the problem ?
Did I miss something I offten do

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
2009 Honda Shadow (Wife's)
Blue & Pearl
"Well Itís not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldnít of happened."
post #9 of 9 Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 6:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTO
Dear friends,
Ready to roll,
Steve

FYI
The NIU/MSF completion certificate does NOT allow you to ride legally on the streets. As you stated it does eliminate the need to take the written or riding exam at the DMV.

I am not sure about the class "M" permit but suspect if it is still valid you can ride.

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in