12000 mile: C'mon Is thir really nesessary??? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Apr 20th, 2008, 12:26 pm Thread Starter

Red face 12000 mile: C'mon Is thir really nesessary???

Hey guys,

Just finished all of the "fluids part of the 12k. I'm just getting into the "filters and valves portion. All I can say is WOW! Don't get me wrong, not that its a big deal as far as difficulty, but still. This much technology and having to do so much to THE [email protected]??? Its 78 right now, clear blue skies, and my garage looks like a props shed for the "TRANSFORMERS" movie. Sorry, I'm ranting, I'm sure I'm not the first to whine about it. Maybe I'll learn some tricks along the way. Take care,

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Apr 20th, 2008, 12:43 pm

Re: 12000 mile: C'mon Is thir really nesessary???

The valves should just be checked, I doubt you will need any adjustment.
Filters... You should be able to skip the fuel filter, but I bet your air filter is dirty. Unfortunately you still need to remove the tank to get to it.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old Apr 20th, 2008, 1:10 pm

Yeah, it's necessary...

The first time you do it, it'll take a LOT of time, as you figure out all the "WTF's?". After that, goes a lot quicker as you figure out work-arounds.

Just make sure you have an electric screwdriver, with a T-25 fitting, and you can strip her down in no time. Get the metal fuel quick disconnects if you don't already.

I agree with Giles on the Fuel Filter, you can get away with delaying that until the 24K (unless you drive into Mexico... don't ask how I know...).

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

post #4 of 15 Old Apr 20th, 2008, 3:22 pm

Thumbs up Re: 12000 mile: C'mon Is thir really nesessary???

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
The valves should just be checked, I doubt you will need any adjustment.
Filters... You should be able to skip the fuel filter, but I bet your air filter is dirty. Unfortunately you still need to remove the tank to get to it.
I discovered that to replace the air filter, that I can slide the tank back far enough w/o unhooking the fuel disconnects. I've even done it with a full tank of fuel.
The filter has been dirty every time at 12,000 miles and I ride all paved roads except for a 400' driveway.

Soooooo, one better change it. That's a good time to make sure a big bird or something else didn't get sucked into the intake. LOL

If you aren't checking all your vehicles air filters, then you're fuelish in my opinion.

All of this is opinion's anyway, but the eggheads should have done their homework before making the recommendations.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, gonna go for my second ride today!

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #5 of 15 Old Apr 20th, 2008, 3:38 pm
Super Moderator

They set the service intervals for a reason. If you don't want to have a reliable, long lasting bike feel free to ignore them. But having done my own service at the defined intervals on all 3 of my LTs I can tell you it's the right frequency based on my experience.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #6 of 15 Old Apr 20th, 2008, 3:45 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Is one afternoon of your undivided attention with this old girl worth the intimacy you will aquire in keeping her running smooth for many miles to come? I'll say it is.

She takes a lot less effort than my wife does and I've had her around for 37 years.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #7 of 15 Old Apr 20th, 2008, 5:17 pm

If I lived back East, and it was 78F and not raining, I'd go for a ride and work on my LT next weekend when it would be raining. :-)

Bob

PS: most of the time, I have to deal with the theory of rain rather than the experience of rain, and snow.

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #8 of 15 Old Apr 20th, 2008, 10:07 pm

Just as an FYI, so long as I have the factory warrenty I will use a BMW dealer to do the standard service work. When it expires and I have the extended warernty in effect I will do what I can and have the dealer do the rest.

If money becomes an issue, which it does form time to time being self-employed, I will assist by removing tupperware and performing routine maintenance that I can do and document as being done (properly) so I do not void my warrenty. After the warrenties expire (like on my RT) I will do all the work I can whenever possible. Regardless of who does the work, I follow the maintenance schedule. Seems kind of silly to not do so in my opinion.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
post #9 of 15 Old Apr 21st, 2008, 8:00 am

just finished my 12k minus valves/ started at 1000 put the last tool up at 2100hrs. nothing too difficult so far.
post #10 of 15 Old Apr 21st, 2008, 10:32 am Thread Starter

Talking Re: 12000 mile: C'mon Is thir really nesessary???

Hi again guys,

Thanks for all of your input but, since it is Monday now, and all I have left is to check valve clearance,(BTW, thanks for the info on the canisterectomy, and the brake fluid change instructions), they worked great!

I am really happy to be almost finished with the 12,000. I really learned alot about the bike and how everything, (well almost), works. I do have to add my two pennies here: It seems to me that, with the exception of the fluids that were all changed to synthetics, every component replaced was not only a waste of time, but money spent. Don't get me wrong, I'd be alot MORE upset if I had taken it to the Big Money Wasted dealer to the tune of $850.00, but every component I pulled looked as good as its replacement! Even the AIRCLEANER! No dust, no dirt. I held it up to the sun, you could see right through it. The plugs were perfect. The fuel filter??? I cut that sucker in half just to see...same thing, element was perfectly clean. In some twisted way, I'm almost hoping for a valve to be out of wack so I don't feel like I wasted an entire weekend. I can say this, my next LT's guts won't see the light of day until at least the 24K mark. I know, I know, but after this experience, its a chance I'm more than willing to take.
post #11 of 15 Old Apr 21st, 2008, 12:51 pm

Coming up on 12K, and about to have the service done, incl. the biennial brake fluid check. Wish I were retired (getting close) and knew how to do this stuff myself.

Does your rear rotor typically show more wear than the front rotors do?

Anyone have any guidelines as to how much wear a rear rotor can have before it should be replaced?

Tires at 12K 3.5mm front, 3mm rear. Comments welcome on plans for new shoes at 13,500, i.e. is BMW recommended minimum tread depth of 2mm-front/3mm-rear realistic, or overly conservative? Don't like the prospect of diminished traction in rain.
post #12 of 15 Old Apr 21st, 2008, 12:54 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Funny my mechanic said the same thing today. Every fuel filter, air filter, and plug on an LT at 12000 looked fine. We discussed strategy and he said save up the money, and do a balls all out at 24000 and be happy. I mean fluids I see at 6000 but in light of his opinion I will just do it his way. He said he will stamp my book no issues, and if it breaks in warranty it will get fixed, period.

Now he did say if I experienced a symptom of impending doom that we would address it then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkdrmr1
Hi again guys,

Thanks for all of your input but, since it is Monday now, and all I have left is to check valve clearance,(BTW, thanks for the info on the canisterectomy, and the brake fluid change instructions), they worked great!

I am really happy to be almost finished with the 12,000. I really learned alot about the bike and how everything, (well almost), works. I do have to add my two pennies here: It seems to me that, with the exception of the fluids that were all changed to synthetics, every component replaced was not only a waste of time, but money spent. Don't get me wrong, I'd be alot MORE upset if I had taken it to the Big Money Wasted dealer to the tune of $850.00, but every component I pulled looked as good as its replacement! Even the AIRCLEANER! No dust, no dirt. I held it up to the sun, you could see right through it. The plugs were perfect. The fuel filter??? I cut that sucker in half just to see...same thing, element was perfectly clean. In some twisted way, I'm almost hoping for a valve to be out of wack so I don't feel like I wasted an entire weekend. I can say this, my next LT's guts won't see the light of day until at least the 24K mark. I know, I know, but after this experience, its a chance I'm more than willing to take.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #13 of 15 Old Apr 21st, 2008, 2:31 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallen12
Does your rear rotor typically show more wear than the front rotors do?
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallen12
Anyone have any guidelines as to how much wear a rear rotor can have before it should be replaced?
New is 7mm (0.2756") wear limit is 6.5mm (0.2559)

I have some cast off tires that other people would love to have I am sure. I like a lot of good rubber under me when I ride.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #14 of 15 Old Apr 21st, 2008, 2:51 pm Thread Starter

I replaced my rear rotor and pads with EBC @ 2,000 miles. Only because the rear was squealing something awful and my Harley buds would NOT let up. Also, Ineeded a rear tire at 8500 miles. I went ahead and changed out both the front and rear with the Bridgestone. I definitely notice a substancial difference in handling compared to the Metzlers. Hope this helps. Brian
post #15 of 15 Old Apr 21st, 2008, 9:50 pm Thread Starter

Well, there you have it,

Just finished "checking" the valves. All I can say is, right on the money. I had only .001" variance on the intake side, and ALL of the exhaust were right at .011", (.012" NOGO).

That being said, I am sure glad I performed the 12,000 mile. Damn thing was on its last leg. Just being a smart A**. That just confirms, one awesome BIKE!

I'm riding to work tomorrow...life is good

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in