Speed Bleeders - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Apr 20th, 2008, 10:19 am Thread Starter

Speed Bleeders

I just finished doing the flush of the ABS control circuit, Front and Rear brakes as well at the clutch circuit on Saturday.

I have a 2002 LT with the BMW calipers not the brembo’s. MFD= 06-01

I ordered the following from Speed bleeders (www.speedbleeder.com) before I started last week.

SB1010S x 3 (M10 X 1.0) – 2 for the back calipers and 1 for the clutch grub screw.
SB8125L x 2 (M8 X 1.25) - 2 for the front calipers.

These were the part numbers listed on thier web site.

The back went great and the job was made much easer with the speed bleeders. The SB1010S are about 3.5 millimeters longer the originals, but still worked fine.

The front I could not use as the SB8125L were too large to replace what was there (In thread diameter not in length). I had to enlist the help of my daughter for the old close open for the front. She had a great time (NOT).

The clutch SB1010S I could not use as it was too long in length. I could not replace the grub screw with it. If pushed it all the way in to get the threads to engage it would have opened up the circuit and I would have to remove it to get the valve to close agian. What I did was use one of the old originals I replace from the rear calipers, which worked fine.

I will call Speed Bleeders on Monday and see what they have to say.

I would like to replace the front bleeders and the clutch (I can still use the original bleeder from the rears for the clutch if I need to) with speed bleeders next year when I flush them again. They are a great time saver.

Questions:
Has anyone used the speed bleeders on the front BMW calipers on an 02 and if so what size/part number did they use?
Has anyone used a speed bleeder for the clutch on an 02 and again what size/part number did they order?

Thanks

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
2009 Honda Shadow (Wife's)
Blue & Pearl
"Well It’s not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldn’t of happened."

Last edited by rkirker; Apr 20th, 2008 at 10:36 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Apr 20th, 2008, 11:35 am

Re: Speed Bleeders

According to Munson (the brake bleed guru): "You will need two SB1010S speed bleeders for the rear, and two SB7100S for the front." The SB8125 is M8x1.25 and the SB7100S measure M7x1.0 so I suspect the SB7100S is what you want. Apparently the 2002 had two different sizes for the front. I'm not sure what the manufacturing date was for the change to the different size. Speedbleeder will exchange for the correct ones. I've read where speedbleeders are a bit challenging trying to get them threaded on the clutch. I believe Munson suggested using one of the replaced stock bleeders on the clutch instead.

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey
post #3 of 6 Old Apr 20th, 2008, 2:39 pm

As far as the clutch bleeder goes. You need to remove the entire adaptor from the hose. This is on with red loctite so you have to use a heat gun to heat up the fitting, turn it a little, then heat it up again. It takes four of five passes at it to get the thing off.

You must use heat or you'll wind up ruining the fittings or breaking the hose.

Then the speed bleeder will work.

Take care.

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #4 of 6 Old Apr 20th, 2008, 2:49 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid
According to Munson (the brake bleed guru): "You will need two SB1010S speed bleeders for the rear, and two SB7100S for the front." The SB8125 is M8x1.25 and the SB7100S measure M7x1.0 so I suspect the SB7100S is what you want. Apparently the 2002 had two different sizes for the front. I'm not sure what the manufacturing date was for the change to the different size. Speedbleeder will exchange for the correct ones. I've read where speedbleeders are a bit challenging trying to get them threaded on the clutch. I believe Munson suggested using one of the replaced stock bleeders on the clutch instead.
Thanks
For the clutch that is what I had done.
I will conntact Speed bleeder on Monday and see if I can get swapped out.

Thanks again

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
Blue & Pearl
"Well It’s not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldn’t of happened."
post #5 of 6 Old Apr 20th, 2008, 3:07 pm

I just assume the speed bleeders fit any year LT; I have a 2005.
anyone know from experience??
post #6 of 6 Old Apr 21st, 2008, 9:39 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkirker
Thanks
For the clutch that is what I had done.
I will conntact Speed bleeder on Monday and see if I can get swapped out.

Thanks again
Just got off the phone with Speed Bleeder they are sending me the SB7100S. I have the BMW calipers which I think use the M7 X 1.0, but will not know until next years flush.
The Brimbos apparently use the SB8125L M8 X 1.0

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
BMWMOA #124306
Blue & Pearl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in