Speedometer/cruise control issue - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 9:55 pm Thread Starter

Speedometer/cruise control issue

I have a problem that I could use some help with. I was riding the ol' LT yesterday, heading up to Pinnacles National Monument (California). I hit a bit of rough road, though not that rough, and the cruise control released. I reset it and it released again. Now any time I set it, if I hit any irregularities in the road's surface, the cruise control releases.

But wait, it get better...

I noticed on the ride home ('bout 500 miles) that the speedometer will drop 5-10 mph before returning to the correct speed. Again, it is irregular and happens at the same time the cruise control releases.

So I went to my official K1200LT repair manual only to find that it doesn't include a wiring diagram. What's with that?!

My question(s): Where's the vehicle speed sensor? Is there some kind of accelerometer that would cause the cruise control to release? Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated as I would like to get this fixed before next weekend. I have a meeting in the bay area on Friday that I'd MUCH rather go to on the bike than in a car.

Thanks, in advance, for all of your help

Darrell

'00 BMWK1200LT
'05 Triumph Tiger
IBA #16091
BMW-MOA #125320
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Apr 20th, 2008, 4:49 am

Re: Speedometer/cruise control issue

Mine did exactly that shortly after I got it. The bolt holding the speed sensor was loose from the factory and finally fell out. The sensor is on a small bracket attacched at the back of the rear wheel hub. Make sure the wire is not kinked or damaged because that can also cause the same issues.

Hope this helps.

Bruce

Bruce Buchner
2017 R1200RT Platinum Bronze Metallic
2012 R1200RT Fluid Grey Metallic (Little Girl) Traded on the 2017 RT
2007 K1200LT Storm Grey Metallic (Big Girl) Traded on the 2017 RT
2001 325XI 4dr Sold
1967 2000CS Coupe (Left it in Germany)
post #3 of 4 Old Apr 20th, 2008, 12:20 pm

Re: Speedometer/cruise control issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus
I have a problem that I could use some help with. I was riding the ol' LT yesterday, heading up to Pinnacles National Monument (California). I hit a bit of rough road, though not that rough, and the cruise control released. I reset it and it released again. Now any time I set it, if I hit any irregularities in the road's surface, the cruise control releases.

But wait, it get better...

I noticed on the ride home ('bout 500 miles) that the speedometer will drop 5-10 mph before returning to the correct speed. Again, it is irregular and happens at the same time the cruise control releases.

So I went to my official K1200LT repair manual only to find that it doesn't include a wiring diagram. What's with that?!

My question(s): Where's the vehicle speed sensor? Is there some kind of accelerometer that would cause the cruise control to release? Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated as I would like to get this fixed before next weekend. I have a meeting in the bay area on Friday that I'd MUCH rather go to on the bike than in a car.

Thanks, in advance, for all of your help
Darrell - not sure what model year your LT is, butt if a '99 or '00, you might have the broken sensor wire that is diagnosed in this thread. Take a look at posts 11 and 12. And somewhere on the forums, there is a picture or two showing this *feature*!! Good luck.

post #4 of 4 Old Apr 20th, 2008, 6:37 pm Thread Starter

Smile Re: Speedometer/cruise control issue

Thank you Dick! Yes my bike is a 2000! The information posted in 2006 by Jeff Davis and David Shealey, also information given by Ken Meese, were right on. Bad wire. Life is good again!

Darrell

'00 BMWK1200LT
'05 Triumph Tiger
IBA #16091
BMW-MOA #125320

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in