Radio Inconsistent - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 3:51 pm Thread Starter

Radio Inconsistent

Recently I have been having trouble with my sound system (2002 LTC, no intercom). There has been a lot of static in the radio. That doesn't shock me much, the reception has never been real good, even with major 50,000 watt stations. I only play FM stations because AM has besically never come in since the bike was new. BY the way, the dealer attempted to fix that twice while the bike was under warranty and they were never able to make any progress.

Anyway, just to compare, I played a CD and got the same static. So I started thinking the speakers are going. But later (maybe a day or so) the radio and CD were playing just fine. Any thoughts for some troubleshooting?

Peter Tessin
2002 Champagne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 5:50 pm

Re: Radio Inconsistent

You might try putting some dielectric grease on the radio connections. I always put the grease on the antenna connection and the other connections on the left hand side of the stingray whenever I have it apart. In your case, you might want to take out the stingray and remove the cover over the radio and grease the connections on the back of the radio itself. As far as radio reception, some people have reported corrosion at the base of the antenna. Unscrew the mast from the base and there should be a spring contact that may be dirty. HTH

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 6:48 pm

Aside from the dielectric grease, you may have a problem with electrical noise via alternator or if you have a HID light form the ballast. I've had similar issues with HID on my RT after installing some aftermarket HID upgrades (H4 & aux lights). A bit of work rerouting cables and getting a better ground solved about 90% of it. A cleaner signal (outside vs. the garage) solved the last 10%.

On my previous motorcycle, I was unable to solve the problem except by replacing the radio. Went from an inexpensive Dual model to a slightly more expensive (wish I had of gone there first) Sony.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT

post #4 of 5 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 7:48 pm

I fought that same problem for about 6 months. Worked great on day, bad the next. Did the grease trick I found in the forums, but no joy
In the end got a new radio under extended warranty
The dealership's basically said the radio was "bad" go figure
good luck
post #5 of 5 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 8:54 pm

Seems to be a common problem.

As others have mentioned, shooting the connectors with a contact cleaner, using electrical grease usually restores clear sound.

When you lift up the seat, towards the rear trunk, you will find more barrel connectors for the rear speakers.

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in