Upper Michigan Pininsula Highway Advice?? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 3:25 pm Thread Starter

Upper Michigan Pininsula Highway Advice??

Hi Gang,

This June my riding buddy and I are going on a major trip to Glacier, Yellowstone, Jackson and down through Estes Park. Our route will take us North from Asheville NC through Michigan and across the Mackinaw Straight and then West through the Upper Michigan Peninsula. Looking at the map, I see two roads across the peninsula; Highway 2 or a little North on Highway 28. Both roads meet at Wakefield.

I would like to know if any of my fellow LT brethren have ridden one or both roads and which one they prefer.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Smith
05 Dark Graphite
Greensboro, NC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 4:37 pm

Re: Upper Michigan Pininsula Highway Advice??

Both roads are good roads to ride on. Hwy 2 is a little more traveled than 28. Hwy 28 is more scenic and you go thru a few more small towns. Either you the hwys are small 2 lane roads.
post #3 of 9 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 7:26 pm

US 2 is a federal highway and 28 is a state highway. US 2 is generally a wider highway with better shoulders and a better maintained road surface. US 2 is about 20 miles farther and about 20-30 minutes longer. You have more lakeshore scenery on 2 but 28 has the Seney stretch (for what it's worth). Truck traffic is about the same on each, maybe a little less on 2. If the winds are strong out of the south take 28.

For me it's a toss up. I'd probably take 2 unless I was headed farther north towards Houghton or the Keweenaw.

Matt
95 Honda Magna (sold)
97 R1100RT (sold)
00 LTc, Canyon Red "Tarkus" (sold)
01 F650GS (wifey's, sold)
01 Ducati S4 Monster "LittleOne"
04 R1150RT (turned to scrap)
99 R1100RT Tundra Green
Kalamazoo, MI
"Worry does not rob tomorrow of it's sorrow. It saps the strength of today."

post #4 of 9 Old Apr 20th, 2008, 7:16 am

Both 2 and 28 are enjoyable routes. 28 is a bit more scenic. The U.P. is beautiful. Michigan is pretty strict about enforcing speed limits, at least (personal experience here) in the U.P., so watch your speed, especially on 2.

Also watch for varmints, deer and moose, which abundantly populate the U.P.

And if you have a free day or half-day, stop at the Porcupine Mountains in the western U.P. Absolutely gorgeous!

Note of caution: You may become addicted to riding in the U.P. We transected it a few years back and have returned every year since.

Inside my 60 year old body is a 35 year old brain wondering what the hell happened.
2005 K1200LT
2005 Suzuki Burgman
BMWMOA #130574
post #5 of 9 Old Apr 20th, 2008, 7:49 am

The great thing about 2 and many roads in that area of Mi/Wi is that every 10 miles or so the road widens and has passing lanes......very handy, I wish Ohio had as much sense!!!!!!!!

Mike
post #6 of 9 Old Apr 20th, 2008, 10:33 am

As Mike H. stated watch out for critters. Northern Michigan and Wisconsin have heavy deer populations.

Tim Frederick
Woodbury, MN
post #7 of 9 Old Apr 20th, 2008, 11:59 am

As stated watch for miscellaneous varmints too. We call them Tourists, RV'ers, F.I.P.'s, Fudgies... June is heavy season for them.

They're often hazardous with sometimes unsafe rigs, unpredictable moves (watch for brake checks near any pasty shop or agate stand), and continuously variable speeds between 30 - 80 MPH on the highway. Speed limit is 55 all the way across. Thank MDOT for those passing lanes they've been installing on the hills for the past decade or so, sometimes you can get in front of the parade for a while. Of course a mile or two up the road you'll have another one pull out in front of you.

My advice is don't be in a hurry, go with the flow & enjoy the scenery. I like US 2 better. miles of beaches in the eastern half with parking pulloffs here & there. Take a dip to refresh now & then. Some areas have small islands just offshore you can swim or wade out to. If you have extra time check out some of the historic sites like Fayette, a ghost town near Manistique. Big Spring @ Indian Lake State Park is something everyone should see. The Cut River Bridge is interesting if you stop & go underneath, otherwise just crossing it you'll think it's nothing.

Rick
'01 LT
post #8 of 9 Old Apr 20th, 2008, 5:08 pm

The U.P. has many beautiful waterfalls. Stop and see as many as your schedule allows. If you have only a small amount of time for waterfalls, save it for the south end of the Porcupine Mountain Park. The Presque Isle River empties into Lake Superior there, and over the years, a fantastic walkway has been constructed of wood along the river so people can walk along the river and view a series of big waterfalls.

Inside my 60 year old body is a 35 year old brain wondering what the hell happened.
2005 K1200LT
2005 Suzuki Burgman
BMWMOA #130574
post #9 of 9 Old Apr 20th, 2008, 6:39 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I like to go across US2 , but M28 is a little faster ...Either way watch your speed ! They don't cut nobody any slack . Last summer on my way to the NWT, & Alaska , a car past us on M28 . We were doing 58-60 or so . He made it about 1/2 mile out in front of us going maybe 63-65 . State car going east turned around and got him.We probable saw 5-6 other cars pulled over up there .

Anyway , If you go at the right time ( June 19-22 , you could stop in Houghton, MI. for the BMW Rides Association's 36th annual BMW RA International Rally , 'n da UP rally !http://www.bmwra.org/rally/ .

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in