Searching for LED tail lights. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Apr 18th, 2008, 2:33 pm Thread Starter

Searching for LED tail lights.

Has anyone found a supplier for a replacement LED tail light assembly for the LT? I have tried the LED bulb replacements but was not happy with the brightness. I can't bring myself to bolt on light panels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Apr 18th, 2008, 4:10 pm

Question Re: Searching for LED tail lights.

The best product I have found, bought, and installed on my LT is the Brake! unit from www.gizmomill.com however it appears that their site is down.

I sent an e-mail to the address listed as technical contact. I hope they are still in business.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old Apr 18th, 2008, 4:11 pm

Re: Searching for LED tail lights.

I bought a set of Brake!LED repalcements for my K1200LT. You get 3 bulbs and they work very well. I bought mine on a close out (may still have some) at BMW of Santa Cruz. About $110 if I remember correstly.

I doubt if you'll find anything better. I looked around a lot and didn't, but it's always possible you will have better luck.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT

post #4 of 16 Old Apr 18th, 2008, 8:09 pm

Customdynamics.com might have what your looking for.
post #5 of 16 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 12:10 am

I tried the whole L.E.D. bulb thing a few years ago .... waste of time and money !
The bike did not like them either, screwed with the computers warning sensors because the amp draw was so much less, bike thought it had burnt out bulbs.

** Great lighting upgrade tho is too replace the two outer turn signal sockets with dual filiment sockets. This allows a rewiring to have all 5 sections lit up as running lights, center 3 as brake, ousides still blink with turn signals.
Add a TAILBLAZER brake bar flasher to the trunk rack mounted brake light and a LED side paniers reflector upgrade, your a LOT more visable !!

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T
wisties Required

post #6 of 16 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 12:55 am
Cat Herder

Garage

That website makes wooden dolls - not LED lights...

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #7 of 16 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 2:02 am

Give me a couple months & I'll let you know if I was successful... I bought a 2nd tail light unit, am now carefully cutting away the backside, and grafting a few trucklite rectangle LED units in place. Plan on getting everything fitted then seal it all up w/epoxy. When all done it should be a continuous bar of LEDs across, with the center 1/3 brake/tail, and outside 1/3's turn/tail. I started when I was snowbound last month but now it's finally riding weather here so it's on the back burner for a while. You know, gotta take advantage of the outdoor weather while I can.

Rick
'01 LT
post #8 of 16 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 8:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy
That website makes wooden dolls - not LED lights...
Yep, apparently the web site has changed... I hope they did not go out of business, their Brake! light for the LT is truly fantastic.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #9 of 16 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 6:52 pm

I purchased the gizmo mill LED's at last years rally. The person who was selling the lights only had 2 or 3 sets left.

He said he would not be handling them anymore as he was retiring to do more riding.

He was from Benton, WA.

Send me a pm with your e-mail and I will sned you his address and phone number.
post #10 of 16 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 10:59 pm

Just as an FYI, anyone looking for the GizoMill Brake! LED for the LT can still get one form BMW of Santa Cruz. I just checked and they still have them listed at ...

http://www.bmwsantacruz.com/Merchant...roduct_Count=5

Cost is $110 for the 3 LEDs bulbs and wiring harness (to connect the 2 outer bulbs to the master brake circuit).

How long they will remain available is something else. They also have other versions for other BMWs in the Closeout section. So get them while you can.

post #11 of 16 Old Apr 20th, 2008, 7:58 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the great info. In my research I have also found 5watt Luxeon LED bulbs on the superbrightleds.com site. They claim to be the brightest bulbs available. Still need to check for fit. They have a 15MM body. Has anyone tried them?
post #12 of 16 Old Apr 21st, 2008, 8:45 am

I have used the Tower II on several bikes with great success. Find them, and all kinds of other LED products, at theAutolumination.com website. They have LEDs wrapped around the body and this projects light to fill your reflector in addition to having LEDs that point straight back. Available as 1156 for trun signal only, 1157 for hgigh low as in tail/brake. These are so energy efficient that you must remember to use load resistor on each side so they flash properly and do not send a fault to bike's computer.

I have used their LEDs to replace the LAnding light, map light and trunk light, and even used the red triple head to replace the bulbs lighting up the instrument cluster (pre-2005) and that gave it a soft reddish glow that was easy to read it night, looked great, and I did not have to worry about bulbs burning out again.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #13 of 16 Old Jun 9th, 2008, 7:31 pm
CVV

Smile Re: Searching for LED tail lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
I have used the Tower II on several bikes with great success. Find them, and all kinds of other LED products, at theAutolumination.com website. They have LEDs wrapped around the body and this projects light to fill your reflector in addition to having LEDs that point straight back. Available as 1156 for trun signal only, 1157 for hgigh low as in tail/brake. These are so energy efficient that you must remember to use load resistor on each side so they flash properly and do not send a fault to bike's computer.

I have used their LEDs to replace the LAnding light, map light and trunk light, and even used the red triple head to replace the bulbs lighting up the instrument cluster (pre-2005) and that gave it a soft reddish glow that was easy to read it night, looked great, and I did not have to worry about bulbs burning out again.
Hi Deputy,
I was wondering what did you use for a load resistor? The website didn't specify what the mW was. Also, considering that you're the be it known GURU here (that's what I would say) is it possible to have the signal lights be led?
Thanks
CV
post #14 of 16 Old Jun 9th, 2008, 9:41 pm

I switched out the brake light on my 2001 LT for the BRAKE LED brake light.
Made a big difference in light intensity.
Pulses, then bright and steady.

I heard that the company went out of business,
but looks like Morton's BMW in Spotsylvania, VA still has them on their web site.

http://www.mortonsbmw.com/parts.html
post #15 of 16 Old Jun 10th, 2008, 12:35 am

They did not go out of business, but they are growing from what I recall of previous postings. In the meaintime supply is limited. BMW of Santa Cruz still has a few available. It's where I bought mine ...

http://www.bmwsantacruz.com/Merchant...roduct_Count=4

post #16 of 16 Old Jun 10th, 2008, 10:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVV
Hi Deputy,
I was wondering what did you use for a load resistor? The website didn't specify what the mW was. Also, considering that you're the be it known GURU here (that's what I would say) is it possible to have the signal lights be led?
Thanks
CV
I installed the Tower II LED bulbs from Autolumination in the front and rear turn signals on my 2006 LT. They would not flash at all, so I had to add a load resistor. I ended up with a 10 watt, 10 Ohm resistor. The turn signals flash faster than stock but look fine. If you wanted a slower flash, then just use a lower Ohm resistor.
I installed the load resistor on my front bulb on each side as shown in attachment.
I see Autolumination has newer designs for the turn signal bulbs, but not sure if they are brighter or not than the Tower II's.
Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5255.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	18261  

2015 K1600GTL
1970 Plymouth Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Fastback 340-auto
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible, 6.1 L SRT8 Hemi transplant

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in