repeat questions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 9:57 pm Thread Starter

repeat questions

Can we make a sticky about searching for answers to questions that have been asked a thousand and one times. Not putting down our new comers, but its like beating a dead horse here.

Ok I am done.

Jeremy
1999 Champagne
Bike #70151
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 10:23 pm

Re: repeat questions

I was wondering today more along the line, has anyone thought of, or written a book with all the information that has been provided over the years from this forum?
post #3 of 21 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 10:30 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by yechave
I was wondering today more along the line, has anyone thought of, or written a book with all the information that has been provided over the years from this forum?
Look at the top bar, under the 'Technical' pulldown - you will find FAQ and the Hall of Wisdom. Volunteers put these together and we are always looking for volunteers to freshen it up.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 10:32 pm

I know it seems redundant at times, But when you were a newbie you asked about the smoking and shifting and noise and all that other stuff that you needed to learn.

So show your knowledge and answer a question or two for a newbie and you'll feel better about it.

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #5 of 21 Old Apr 18th, 2008, 3:35 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen
I know it seems redundant at times, But when you were a newbie you asked about the smoking and shifting and noise and all that other stuff that you needed to learn.

So show your knowledge and answer a question or two for a newbie and you'll feel better about it.
John
I never said I didn't ask the same questions. I was just wondering if there was a way to say, "Hey if you are new, GO HERE to see the answer". I am not going to defend my questions becuase yes I did ask them. And last night when I posted this I felt a little spunky.

I am aware of our Hall of Wisdom but it seems that someone who is new, may not know to go there and look for answers. I am all about ease of use. I currently work somewhere that has too many Chiefs and not enough Indians, and nothing gets accomplished the way it should be.(apology to all native americans that might be offended) And since you looked at the questions I asked, you apparently never looked at questions I answered. I am only saying that a sticky of the hall of wisdom, or general knowledge, something along those lines.

Jeremy
1999 Champagne
Bike #70151
post #6 of 21 Old Apr 18th, 2008, 5:45 pm

So,,, I'm going to use OEM (BMW) fluids in my bike like 20-50 motor oil,, can anyone recommend which brand of oil is best??????????
post #7 of 21 Old Apr 18th, 2008, 6:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by petepeterson
So,,, I'm going to use OEM (BMW) fluids in my bike like 20-50 motor oil,, can anyone recommend which brand of oil is best??????????

Why ****** of course

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #8 of 21 Old Apr 18th, 2008, 7:37 pm

For whatever it's worth, I was a newbie a year ago and did visit the Hall of Wisdom as I was preparing to pick up the bike.

But I never thought to search "dropping bike" and so traumatized the SO through that failure.

I'll take responsibility for that failure, but I'd urge a little tolerance anyway for others..
post #9 of 21 Old Apr 18th, 2008, 8:06 pm

I am a newb and every question I've asked I've searched the H W. But when you know so little about these bikes, it is hard to know what to enter in the search. Example how to pull the tupperware off the bike. Now I know a site but it was after asking the board. I could find it in the Hall Of Wisdom.
post #10 of 21 Old Apr 18th, 2008, 10:07 pm

Can you repeat your question please?
:-o
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #11 of 21 Old Apr 18th, 2008, 11:01 pm

I will admit after 30+ years of ridding. It wasn’t until I bought my LT that "tupperware" entered my cycle vocabulary.

And I am guessing that many are looking for conversation as much as they are looking for information.

Doug
'05 K1200LT,
My dog is very selective where he will pee, yet he will poop anywhere. In that regard; we couldn’t be more different.
post #12 of 21 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 6:09 am

A year and a half and two LT's later I consider myself a total newb. I've asked some real simpleton questions and got responses. What I mostly see with newer newbs than me is this: they ask a question. Responses usually welcome them to the forum, answer the Q's, and give a gentle nudge to the FAQs for "more info".
The only time this understanding tolerance goes South is when someone bashes the bike. Newbs don't tend to do this anyway.
It takes guts to ask a seemingly dumb question. Trust me. If another newb, gathering courage to ask, sees a fellow newb publicly decimated....well you get the picture.
post #13 of 21 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 7:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMeister
It takes guts to ask a seemingly dumb question. Trust me. If another newb, gathering courage to ask, sees a fellow newb publicly decimated....well you get the picture.
And that's why we should respond nicely. Believe me, in the last 8 years, I've seen the same questions over and over. The thang is, we're friends and many of us have become like family to me. The newb today might be your dearest bud before it's all over.

Of course, some people respond to and really like, "Search shitheel"!!!!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #14 of 21 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 7:09 am
Cooler on the east coast!!!

I am not an in the business so really do not know what it would take to accomplish but a little web tour of the web site and how it works and where to find things might be helpful. I am not against the redundant questions per say because I learn from them as well.

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #15 of 21 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 9:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gglove
I am not an in the business so really do not know what it would take to accomplish but a little web tour of the web site and how it works and where to find things might be helpful. I am not against the redundant questions per say because I learn from them as well.
+1 here. Maybe I am a little ...slow, but when I reread a question that has been answered, I pick up just a bit more. Kinda like studying for a test. Sometimes you need to go over something again.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #16 of 21 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 1:30 pm

Talking Re: repeat questions

there is going to be a test?????????

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL
post #17 of 21 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 6:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiwan
there is going to be a test?????????
That's right. Questions like: the best oil, tires, seat, fuse box, riding gear, helmet, etc. will be asked. Those that pass will be able to access the next level on this board.

To date, nobody has passed.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #18 of 21 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 8:49 pm

Besides. I'd rather read the stuff here than watch the Presidential debates(?).
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #19 of 21 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 8:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
That's right. Questions like: the best oil, tires, seat, fuse box, riding gear, helmet, etc. will be asked. Those that pass will be able to access the next level on this board.

To date, nobody has passed.
Hey.... should we fire the teachers? Nahhhhh...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #20 of 21 Old Apr 21st, 2008, 12:23 am Thread Starter

Ok Ok I will retract my sticky request. Geesh, you ask a silly question and all I get is tolerance from everybody. I tell you what though, someone said it right, sometimes people just want to talk along with find out a little bit about their purchase. Maybe I just wanted to talk and I guess I was just agitated when I made the thread. So to make amends....All the new guys ask your questions, no matter how many times they have been asked.

Jeremy
1999 Champagne
Bike #70151
post #21 of 21 Old Apr 21st, 2008, 2:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabrown
Can we make a sticky about searching for answers to questions that have been asked a thousand and one times. Not putting down our new comers, but its like beating a dead horse here.

Ok I am done.
Do you know how many times your exact message has been posted before? Talking about redundant. (Insert smiley face here) I do not mind newbie questions because I often learn something I didn't know I needed to learn.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in