Being more specific: How is the ABS Unit flushed on a 2000 LT? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 8:14 pm Thread Starter

Being more specific: How is the ABS Unit flushed on a 2000 LT?

OK, .....getting references to archives that talk about using speed bleeders and that flushing the ABS is a great thing to do....and a very brief mention from David Spargue about using a syringe to backflush brake fluid through the "Control Circuit" (Is that the ABS UNIT).....but have yet to find anything that talks specifically about flushing the ABS Unit.

Has anyone actually flushed an ABS unit on a non-integrated, non-servo 2000 LT??

If so, could you possibly post a step by step procedure on what tools (syringes??) are needed and how this is done.

If someone will post clear step by step instructions on how this is done , I will do it AND take pictures for a possible Hall of Wisdom archive.

Seems to me that if this procedure that costs nothing more than some time and the cost of a bottle of Dot 4, and has the potential to save everyone with an indication of ABS unit failure....that does it $3000...........that it should be a well documented procedure.

Get me started and I will take the pics and lets see if we can's get a clear DIY tutorial put together.

Brian in Austin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 8:19 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Being more specific: How is the ABS Unit flushed on a 2000 LT?

ok, I think that when you flush from the reservoir to the caliper,you are flushing through the ABS module. Just read the manual and that is what it seems like.
There is nothing special on an ABS equipped car either I believe.

dan
post #3 of 21 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 8:28 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMartin
ok, I think that when you flush from the reservoir to the caliper,you are flushing through the ABS module. Just read the manual and that is what it seems like.
There is nothing special on an ABS equipped car either I believe.

dan
Dan, I've seen numerous mention of flushing the ABS Unit,...as apposed to just a brake flush.....so,...seems to me that there is a separate procedure.

Brian

post #4 of 21 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 8:43 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The ABS II unit has a front and rear bleed valve, but that is the last step after you flush from reservoir to caliper on each circuit. I have done several. If you have a code set sometimes a flush will allow the dealer (or the procedure listed elsewhere here) to successfully reset the unit.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #5 of 21 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 9:02 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
The ABS II unit has a front and rear bleed valve, but that is the last step after you flush from reservoir to caliper on each circuit. I have done several. If you have a code set sometimes a flush will allow the dealer (or the procedure listed elsewhere here) to successfully reset the unit.
John, any idea where the procedure is?...................I've not found it....People keep telling me its here but no one has been able to point me to it. Several points to something related,...but no point to the actual step by step procedure.

post #6 of 21 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 9:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwestrider
OK, .....getting references to archives that talk about using speed bleeders and that flushing the ABS is a great thing to do....and a very brief mention from David Spargue about using a syringe to backflush brake fluid through the "Control Circuit" (Is that the ABS UNIT).....but have yet to find anything that talks specifically about flushing the ABS Unit.

Has anyone actually flushed an ABS unit on a non-integrated, non-servo 2000 LT??

If so, could you possibly post a step by step procedure on what tools (syringes??) are needed and how this is done.

If someone will post clear step by step instructions on how this is done , I will do it AND take pictures for a possible Hall of Wisdom archive.

Seems to me that if this procedure that costs nothing more than some time and the cost of a bottle of Dot 4, and has the potential to save everyone with an indication of ABS unit failure....that does it $3000...........that it should be a well documented procedure.

Get me started and I will take the pics and lets see if we can's get a clear DIY tutorial put together.

Brian in Austin
Brian,
One of the reasons you probably don't see any information on non integrated ABS flush bleeding is because there isn't anything special about it. Fluid in the reservior, open the bleeder screw and flush.

Dan Martin is correct in that the fluid travels through the ABS unit and down to the calipers. However, there are two bleeder screws on the ABS unit. One for the front and one for the rear. Bleed those first until you get clear fluid and then do the calipers. (I bled the calipers first and then went to the ABS unit and was rather surprised at the amount of "garbage" that came out even though the caliper fluid was already flushed clear.)

Tips:

1. Take your time it isn't difficult.

2. Remember that brake fluid kills paint. Keep things covered up.

3. Keep the reserviors full so that you don't take in any air. If you do, just bleed it out. Takes a little longer is all. No harm done.

4. You don't have to remove the handlebar covers to level the reserviors (as stated in the manual) If you turn the bars full left for the front brake reservior it makes it level enough to get the job done. (See 1 and 2 above)

5. If you remove enough body work to get the left and right side battery covers off, the ABS unit and the rear brake reservior are in the open making it much easier to access those parts.

The tips above are under the assumption that you have bled brakes before and understand the basics. I guess if you have more questions just ask.

Good Luck. It's easier than it looks.

Duane

Check the obvious first!
01 LT Champagne "The Starship"
73 Z1 Kawi
and 7 long gone
post #7 of 21 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 9:08 pm

Flushing from reservoir to caliper does not flush the abs unit, so despite annual flushes done in my garage, my abs unit on my 2001 failed after about five years. My mechanic and I both surmised the failure probably happened because I rarely, if at all, engaged my abs which would have cycled some of that brake fluid out of the abs unit. In my case, I probably had the same fluid sitting in the unit for nearly five years absorbing moisture.

There are bleed valves on the abs unit, but it is labor intensive to take things apart and actually use them. I've been advised to bleed from reservoir to caliper first, then ride...and deliberately engage the abs a few times (both front and rear), then flush again from reservoir to caliper. That will force relatively fresh brake fluid through your system. It would certainly be better than not flushing the abs unit at all.

Regards,

Paul Rakestraw
Boulder, CO

09 R1200RT

01 K1200LTI
wrecked at 91k miles

post #8 of 21 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 9:13 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

No there has been no write up as it it not a special procedure. If you have done a brake bleed on a conventional automotive unit it is the same thing. Pump the pedal and hold, open the valve, when the pedal bottoms out close the valve and release the pedal, repeat. The only additional step is the two nipples on the ABS unit which are done LAST after you have done the calipers. If you have never done a car, find some one who has to help you. The newer Integral system is a bit more complex, but yours is a simple system with no "control" circuit.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #9 of 21 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 9:17 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdrstraw
Flushing from reservoir to caliper does not flush the abs unit, so despite annual flushes done in my garage, my abs unit on my 2001 failed after about five years. My mechanic and I both surmised the failure probably happened because I rarely, if at all, engaged my abs which would have cycled some of that brake fluid out of the abs unit. In my case, I probably had the same fluid sitting in the unit for nearly five years absorbing moisture.

There are bleed valves on the abs unit, but it is labor intensive to take things apart and actually use them. I've been advised to bleed from reservoir to caliper first, then ride...and deliberately engage the abs a few times (both front and rear), then flush again from reservoir to caliper. That will force relatively fresh brake fluid through your system. It would certainly be better than not flushing the abs unit at all.

Regards,
True but ONLY for the Integral System. The 99 & 00 use a simple one circuit ABS unit with one bleed vale for the front and one for the rear. I have done several flushes on both systems.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #10 of 21 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 9:19 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdrstraw

Regards,
True but ONLY for the Integral System. The 99 & 00 use a simple one circuit ABS unit with one bleed vale for the front and one for the rear. I have done several flushes on both systems.

If you have the Integral system your method will not work as the fluid from the reservoir never makes it to the calipers. They are two seperate circuits each for both front and rear.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #11 of 21 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 9:55 pm Thread Starter

OK............so As you all can see.........even those that are in the know have different opinions on how to do this in order to ensure that debris is flushed out of the ABS unit.

I have seen suggestions for just cracking a nipple and let it drip, cracking a nipple and bleeding by pumping the brake lever, cracking a nipple and using a vacuum tool, and cracking a nipple and using speed bleeders, (any preference?) and this is just for the wheel circuits.......

So, assuming that I use a vacuum tool, when I get to the ABS unit.....would I just do the usual and place the vacuum line on the ABS nipples (one at a time of course).

BTW,

I have had a master cylinder FAIL due to using the brake lever to pump fluid through the front wheel circuit on an older R1100RT.....overstroking the seal in the master cylinder by pumping it past the existing wear pattern in the bore...can and frequently will cause failure of the master cylinder via tearing of the seal around the plunger..

Brian

post #12 of 21 Old Apr 18th, 2008, 3:57 pm

Brian,

Obviously,

Dan King
2000 K1200LTC
Springville, Ca
post #13 of 21 Old Apr 18th, 2008, 3:57 pm

Brian,

Obviously, you

Dan King
2000 K1200LTC
Springville, Ca
post #14 of 21 Old Apr 18th, 2008, 3:57 pm

Brian,

Obviously, you and

Dan King
2000 K1200LTC
Springville, Ca
post #15 of 21 Old Apr 18th, 2008, 3:57 pm

Brian,

Obviously, you and I

Dan King
2000 K1200LTC
Springville, Ca
post #16 of 21 Old Apr 18th, 2008, 3:57 pm

Brian,

Obviously, you and I are

Dan King
2000 K1200LTC
Springville, Ca
post #17 of 21 Old Apr 18th, 2008, 3:57 pm

Brian,

Obviously, you and I are in

Dan King
2000 K1200LTC
Springville, Ca
post #18 of 21 Old Apr 18th, 2008, 3:57 pm

Brian,

Obviously, you and I are in the

Dan King
2000 K1200LTC
Springville, Ca
post #19 of 21 Old Apr 18th, 2008, 3:57 pm

Brian,

Obviously, you and I are in the same predicament. I've had my ABS system reset twice and only 275 miles since the last reset, the lights are flashing again. If you have success with a way to bleed and flush the control unit please let me know. I was blown away by the quoted price of the repair.

Dan King
2000 K1200LTC
Springville, Ca
post #20 of 21 Old Apr 18th, 2008, 3:59 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The only thing the bleed nipples give you is the high point to extract air. The bulk of the flush will be through the calipers. Push or suck its your choice but the bulk will be through the calipers.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #21 of 21 Old Apr 18th, 2008, 6:54 pm

Man, all this talk of cracked nipples (how painful) and pushing and sucking........

The Clymer manual for the LT has the procedure: Left front caliper, right front caliper, front bleed screw on the ABS unit. Inside rear caliper bleed, outside rear caliper bleed then rear bleed on the ABS.

The LT Service Manual CD says that the ABS unit only needs to be bled if the system has been opened or drained.

Matt
95 Honda Magna (sold)
97 R1100RT (sold)
00 LTc, Canyon Red "Tarkus" (sold)
01 F650GS (wifey's, sold)
01 Ducati S4 Monster "LittleOne"
04 R1150RT (turned to scrap)
99 R1100RT Tundra Green
Kalamazoo, MI
"Worry does not rob tomorrow of it's sorrow. It saps the strength of today."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in