oil change 2007 lt - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 7:55 pm Thread Starter

oil change 2007 lt

I know this is going to sound crazy...oh well. I have a new 07 lt with about 430 miles on it before it was put away for the winter. I purchased bosch filters o-rings and crush washers from beemerboneyard. I'm waiting for my Clymer manual and my maintenance manual that came with the bike says nothing of changing the oil. I would like to change before starting as it has sat for about four months. Anyone guide me through the process.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 8:07 pm

Re: oil change 2007 lt

From the Hall of Wisdom (find it on the top of the page under "Technical")

Here it is http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...w=&sb=&o=&vc=1

With a bit of a suggestion.. do not remove the "oil plug" as specified in #2... just remove the oil filter cover!!!!

The 05 on up has the HCS(hydraulic center stand) so removing the rearmost screw on the oil filter cover may come close to the bracket.. no need to fully remove.. just loosen the rear a bit, then loosen the front more.... allow to drain, remove front two and pivot the plate around... or retighten and add oil...

BTW....

at 600 the dealer should perform the first check.... maybe just take a nice ride and get it done.. that will warm things up nicely.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 8:12 pm

Re: oil change 2007 lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstalker
I know this is going to sound crazy...oh well. I have a new 07 lt with about 430 miles on it before it was put away for the winter. I purchased bosch filters o-rings and crush washers from beemerboneyard. I'm waiting for my Clymer manual and my maintenance manual that came with the bike says nothing of changing the oil. I would like to change before starting as it has sat for about four months. Anyone guide me through the process.
It is usually better to drain the oil while it is still pretty hot after running the engine. However, this is only to allow the oil to drain down better. Since yours has been sitting for some time, the only cold oil that will be left is on the sides of the crankcase.

Easiest way to drain it is to loosen two of the three screws holding the oil filter cover a few turns, then with a large pan under it loosen the third screw "slowly" until the oil is draining well. The first time I did this, I loosened the third screw too fast and a sheet of oil overshot the drain pan, and onto the floor!

There is no need to use the oil drain plug, as you have to remove the cover to get to the filter anyway.

One tip: When draining any engine, transmission, etc., be SURE you have at least loosened the fill plug first! That is just insurance that once the oil is drained you will not have a stuck fill plug and cannot put oil back in! Not so much an issue with the LT engine oil, but a couple people have had problems getting the fill plug out without breaking it. Not normal though. It is far more a problem with metal fill plugs on some vehicles, threads galled, or corroded so badly that the fill plug cannot be removed. Good to know you have that problem to tackle BEFORE draining the oil.

Take your new filter to a auto parts supply to get a THIN filter wrench to fit it if you do not already have one. The hole you have to put the wrench through is not a whole lot larger than the filter, so a thick sided wrench will not fit through.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in