Rear Tire Patch - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 5:08 pm Thread Starter

Rear Tire Patch

I was just reading the thread on mileage change for tires and was wondering what the opinion would be on running a patched tire.

I just had a flat fixed. Rear tire with less than 1500 miles on it. It took a 3 inch nail that went in head first, not point first (head of the nail is less than 1/4 inch). I had it patched and have no intention of doing any immediate long distance runs.

I am going to have a new one mounted as soon as I can but I'm curious about opinions on running a patched tire. I had it patched at a tire shop, not plugged.

MRWAD
Y2K 1500 Vulcan Classic "HOG Harasser"
05 SV1000S "Buell Beater"
05 K1200LT "Goldbling"
My Toy Box is Full!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 5:46 pm

Re: Rear Tire Patch

In my experience "Mushroom" style plugs that are installed from the inside out give the best results. Unfortunately you have to remove and rebalance the tire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RTT_patch_a3-mc.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	17466  

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #3 of 10 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 6:42 pm

I have used a vulcanized (rubber cement) large flat tire patches on the inside of many tires and tubes over long distances for many years. The tire/tube has to be removed from the rim, area roughened up, glue has to dry completely, patch securely pressed on and tire checked for leaks (with soapy water) when remounted and aired up.

post #4 of 10 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 6:58 pm

I think there are two thoughts on tire patches. Some say no and some say yes. I have had tires patched and never had a problem. Our city bikes when they have a nail will get a new tire, no patches. That word, Liability. When it is just me I will run a patch, but if I got the wife on the back or if I am going on a trip, I will get a new tire. No patch for the wife.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #5 of 10 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 7:39 pm

Definately, +1 for the mushroom plug.

I have used them on sportbikes without failure.
Should be fine on the LT. Most riders are not aggressive enough to flex the tire enough to get the patch part to peel from the inside of the tire.

Be sure to sand the inside of the tire smooth so the glue will adheer.

Visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #6 of 10 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 7:48 pm

'shroom plug is gud....with vulcanizing sealant. MUST clean inside properly or won't bond properly.

Note exactly where the patch is with a "paint pen" on the side of the tire.... watch and check often... any bubbling or notable change, "Off the bike"...

If I take long trip, tire gets swapped... I may hang on to it for remounting later... depends...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 7:55 pm

Cool Re: Rear Tire Patch

This is almost as guaranteed to stir up disagreement as "what oil should I use". If I KNOW WHAT CAUSED THE PUNCTURE, as in your case, I will plug 'em and run it 'til it's worn out. I ride solo at speeds below 110 mph <g>, 99% below 80 actualy. Many will swear you should only run a patched or plugged tire as far as the nearest dealer and replace it. This is your risk to accept or not.
post #8 of 10 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 9:12 pm

Talking Re: Rear Tire Patch

It is a risk, for sure. But nobody has mentioned the problem of moisture getting in around the wire reinforced layers and causing it to rust. TJ Tennent mentioned that at last years CCR.(words of a tire man)

Leaks can be checked and stopped, but rust will speed up the ruination(is that a word?) of a tire. As for me, I just plug'em until I can get a new one........long OR short rides!

Just my 2 cents worth.

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #9 of 10 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 9:36 pm
cws

Garage

Dont know about patches..? I ran a plugged rear metz for about 18,000km with no troubles, also used Ultraseal to make sure in case there were an little leaks. Thread
I've since been running Ultraseal in front/rear and have pulled a few metal and glass pieces out of the rear with no signs of leakage.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #10 of 10 Old Apr 18th, 2008, 10:23 am

Just hypothesizing here...what about a patch plus a sealant like "Ride On?" I picked up a 16d once on my Road King. I don't recall whether I had it patched or plugged, but rode another 10K including a 2K trip before I had to replace due to wear. If you repair the tire, plugging is a superior way to go.

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in