Just bought my new LT, Thanks for the help! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 1:31 am Thread Starter

Smile Just bought my new LT, Thanks for the help!

Well, I didnt waste any time on making a purchase. I made several posts here about debating between an RT and an LT. After looking around and thinking about it I decided that it was time for another LT. I have lusted for another one for years after owning a 2000 model. Its the closest I have found to the perfect motorcycle. So I found a 2003 LT custom with only 12k miles, never been dropped, all the normal stuff, alarm, BMW com unit, Piaa lights, back rest, tank bag, helet locks, J-pegs (XL) I believe, new Metzler tires with 200 miles on them and just had its 12000 mile service with the paperwork to prove it. I called the local dealership and got the service records. Oil was changed every 2-3k miles. Its been in the garage all its life and looks like new. I am so happy now. The color is Impalla Brown, a unique color that never would have been my first pick but looks nice, and elegant. A very unique color that I dont see alot of so I like that. I drove for 2 1/2 hours to get there and rode the bike home. A great thing to do after a new purchase. The PIAA lights make a huge difference and I cant believe I have never had them on any of my other bikes. I am not very fond of the backrest, a backup backrest or so i think. I am going to take it off and I may even sell it along with the tank bag. I am not into backrests and tank bags. I noticed that my stereo has a auxilary display, is it easy to add satelite radio since I have the com unit? Well, my blood is still rushing from the new toy. Thanks everyone for your help and setting me straight by buying another LT. I will post pictures when I get a chance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 4:42 am

Re: Just bought my new LT, Thanks for the help!

I have same bike with same equiptment except the extra lights and mine is a LTE. And yes it is really a nice bike and the color is very nice, ,much better then the black and silver and everyone here like that color better then the colors of their LT. It will even give me an advantage when selling it since it seems like I am the only one having that color in Norway

What did you pay for it?

I paid 11.500.-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LT1.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	17458  
post #3 of 18 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 6:51 am

Sounds like mine as well. It is the only one I have seen here in Colorado. All the same equipment as mine except the intercom. Great bike, great Color. I have put 32K miles on it in under 3 years and try to ride it all year round as my primary mode of transportation. You do get hooked on it for sure.

Good luck with your new bike and enjoy it.

post #4 of 18 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 8:07 am

Having lived in Durango and driven the million dollar hwy and thru wolf creek pass and all, I would love to have the bike there for a while.
I actualy envy you even when I have very nice mountain roads here aswell.
Thinking of up the roads to Silverton then onto Telluride and so on....mm

PS!! Telluride is actualy named after "To hell U ride" due to the extended mining in the mountains. When the miners got their paychecks they jumped on the small train ore dumpsters and drove down the mountains to be the first to get to the bars and women and thus some of those wagins derailed and thus the name "To hell U Ride" later known as Telluride. Or so I was told by the ATC at the airport....and what an airport!!! Steep clif at the western end and trying to fly there with a low powered cessna 150 with to sturdy guys in it is not recomended, and to "play" that the plane is a glider sitting on the edge of the high mountain to the sout east of the airport awayting a lift to get over the mountain is also not recomended....we did and managed to take the snowcap with us when we got over..with stall warning howling at same time.... oh that crazy youth! Reason for trying to fly over instead of around was to save time to get back to Durango to the cold beer wayting fo us! Afterall it was friday afternoon! hehe I am shaking my head thinking about how foolish we was back then!

Be aware of Student Pilots!

Last edited by paalao; Apr 17th, 2008 at 8:17 am.
post #5 of 18 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 8:57 am

Congrats! I'm where you were, now...trying to make up my mind...

Al
post #6 of 18 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 9:26 am

You used to own a BMW? And you bought another one? They have doctor's for that you know...

WELCOME BACK TO THE OWNERS ASYLUM! You lucky dog you...

Hope to see you around the streets... Ride safe!

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 18 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 11:30 am

Congrts on the new bike. I bought my first LT, a 2002, last September and I can't imagine ever owning anything else. (Well, maybe a GT for fun as well )

Enjoy the ride.

Gary

"Don't do anything you'd be embarrassed to explain to the paramedics."

Gary Helmers
Sparks, NV
2002 K1200LT
2003 XR250R
post #8 of 18 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 11:40 am

Congratulations, I just rode 2 up with SO on my 99 LT to Yosemite last weekend. Great bike. You can't go wrong. Be safe out there.
post #9 of 18 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 4:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by paalao
It will even give me an advantage when selling it since it seems like I am the only one having that color in Norway
So can you call that color "Norwegian Wood"?

Still Just Jerry

2005 LT "Lucky"
2003 Moto Guzzi Aluminum "The Fog"

post #10 of 18 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 5:40 pm

Thumbs up Re: Just bought my new LT, Thanks for the help!

Congrats! I just bought my 8th BMW; a 2008 LT. I went back and forth between that and the GT, but I'm at the 'almost seasoned' age of 44 thinking thinking that the GT could either get me in trouble or a ton of speeding tickets! But after driving a few miles on the 08 LT, I'm realizing that this bike is plenty fast.

These bikes are pretty simple; just ride it and have fun!

Kevin
post #11 of 18 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 5:51 pm
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Welcome to the 03' club

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #12 of 18 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 10:38 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleMark
You used to own a BMW? And you bought another one? They have doctor's for that you know...

WELCOME BACK TO THE OWNERS ASYLUM! You lucky dog you...

Hope to see you around the streets... Ride safe!
Yes doctor I have a disease. It all started back in 1999 when a friend of mine dragged me to a BMW dealer after telling him I would never own a BMW becasue they look funky. Well, the salesman took me to a R1100RT and from there I was hooked. I went back for a test ride and I put my name on a waiting list. A few days later I got a call saying there was a black one coming in another week unspoken for. I bought it and fell in love. Since my list is as follows in order from oldest to newest:

1999 R1100RT
1999 K1200RS
2000 K1200LT (icon)
1997 R1100RT
2003 K1200GT
2003 K1200LT (custom & farkled) NEW current bike

The LT is the grand daddy of all bikes and I have a feeling that this new LT will stick around for a long time. I have owned enough bikes to realize that there isnt anyhting better out there.
post #13 of 18 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 10:43 pm

Congrats on your new bike. Feels great doesn't it!!

Warm & Safe Heated Clothing Sale- Lowest Prices!!

Contact Me.

post #14 of 18 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 10:48 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paalao
I have same bike with same equiptment except the extra lights and mine is a LTE. And yes it is really a nice bike and the color is very nice, ,much better then the black and silver and everyone here like that color better then the colors of their LT. It will even give me an advantage when selling it since it seems like I am the only one having that color in Norway

What did you pay for it?

I paid 11.500.-
Hey, whats my bike doing in Norway, I just saw it sitting in my garage.

Well, I paid 10k for it. Not oo bad I think. 12k miles on it, It had new metzler tires and the 12k mile servie performed 200 miles ago. Extras were the BMW alarm, Jpegs, PIAA lights, tank bag, helmet locks, BMW comm system, I just found some plug adaptors as well for accesory outlets and some sort of cell phone cord adaptor I think. I dont know??? Everything works and it looks like its right off the showroom floor, especially with new tires. Its been garage kept its whole life and I called the BMW dealer to get its service history. Everything was done and the oil was changed almost every 2k miles. No warranty work and nothing else other than regular services. I have the paperwork as well on all the services. I like the color, its growing on me. I need to come up with a nickname. I was trying to think of something cool but I am having a hard time.
post #15 of 18 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 10:51 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gglove
Welcome to the 03' club

I bought an 03' because of some people reporting that the 03-04's have fewer final drive failures becasue of a newer bearing. Well, it may or may not be true but I thought that I would take the advise and when I saw this I knew it was destiny. We are a match made in heaven. I was thinking I was going to have to buy a 99-02 becasue of my budget but I negotiated this down alot.
post #16 of 18 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 10:53 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by starvingdrummer
Congrats! I just bought my 8th BMW; a 2008 LT. I went back and forth between that and the GT, but I'm at the 'almost seasoned' age of 44 thinking thinking that the GT could either get me in trouble or a ton of speeding tickets! But after driving a few miles on the 08 LT, I'm realizing that this bike is plenty fast.

These bikes are pretty simple; just ride it and have fun!

Kevin
I am not too far from you, in fact my father in law lives in santa rosa. I am in folsom (part of sacramento). Maybe we will see each other sometime. I go into A&s all the time on the weekends. Its nice having the number 1 (well atkeast the last time I checked) BMW dealer in your own backyard.
post #17 of 18 Old Apr 18th, 2008, 3:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali_beemer
Hey, whats my bike doing in Norway, I just saw it sitting in my garage.

I was beeing nice to you and removing it completely out of your sight, that way you would not cry if you saw it and missed it

Well, I paid 10k for it. Not oo bad I think. 12k miles on it, It had new metzler tires and the 12k mile servie performed 200 miles ago. Extras were the BMW alarm, Jpegs, PIAA lights, tank bag, helmet locks, BMW comm system, I just found some plug adaptors as well for accesory outlets and some sort of cell phone cord adaptor I think. I dont know??? Everything works and it looks like its right off the showroom floor, especially with new tires. Its been garage kept its whole life and I called the BMW dealer to get its service history. Everything was done and the oil was changed almost every 2k miles. No warranty work and nothing else other than regular services. I have the paperwork as well on all the services. I like the color, its growing on me. I need to come up with a nickname. I was trying to think of something cool but I am having a hard time.
10K is very nice, but for me living 6000+ miles away I was kind doomed to get one from a dealer and it had to be registered before 17 june 2003 due to some supid new EU laws.

Now I put my LT up for sale http://finn.no/finn/mc/object?finnko...&pos=3&tot=173
Not that I want to sell it, but if I sell it at that price I make 12k on it!! and that is tax free! I put a good price on it besocuse I dont mind keeping it
Then I will be looking for a 2004 lt that is first registered before 17 june 2003 if I can find one. If not then same kind a bike (2003) will do as long as it is regsitered before same date. But the title MUST show first day of registration!

And maybe some of you guys could then look around for a good buy for me and help me ship it?
post #18 of 18 Old Apr 18th, 2008, 1:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali_beemer
I am not too far from you, in fact my father in law lives in santa rosa. I am in folsom (part of sacramento). Maybe we will see each other sometime. I go into A&s all the time on the weekends. Its nice having the number 1 (well atkeast the last time I checked) BMW dealer in your own backyard.
Hey that's pretty cool! Never been to the Sac BMW dealer, but it looks like I may go that way some time soon.

BTW - my dealer did a search last week of 2008 LT's and found only 5 in the state (CA). They told me that a little over 20 were available for the entire US; but also told me that the dealers can sometimes hide their stock from the puter system. I bought the only blue 08 in CA (so I was told); the rest are supposedly black. I haven't heard any definitive word that BMW is ceasing production of the LT, but I wouldn't rule it out.........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in