What? No downshifting! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Apr 16th, 2008, 10:48 pm Thread Starter
Mister Moto

Exclamation What? No downshifting!

I've got a major headache trying to figure out why my '06 LT at just under 2500 miles has decided not to downshift. With an SRC scheduled for this weekend only, I'm between a rock and a no-show. I have found that if I pull up slightly with my toe and then push down, it works just fine....but that's way too weird to concentrate on riding skills. (or maybe it's extra credit...hmmm?)

Has anyone experienced this on their LT? Clues...I'm lookin' for clues here...
what do you think?

>K-daug

aka: studio4design
'06 LT "Shamu"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Apr 16th, 2008, 10:53 pm
BMW Guru

Re: What? No downshifting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-daug
I've got a major headache trying to figure out why my '06 LT at just under 2500 miles has decided not to downshift. With an SRC scheduled for this weekend only, I'm between a rock and a no-show. I have found that if I pull up slightly with my toe and then push down, it works just fine....but that's way too weird to concentrate on riding skills. (or maybe it's extra credit...hmmm?)

Has anyone experienced this on their LT? Clues...I'm lookin' for clues here...
what do you think?

Sounds like broken shifter linkage. Take the foot peg plate off and have a look. It's an easy repair...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Apr 16th, 2008, 11:03 pm Thread Starter
Mister Moto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Shred
Sounds like broken shifter linkage. Take the foot peg plate off and have a look. It's an easy repair...

Not that, checked that already everything appears to be in order. Could it be a weak spring on the input shaft? Binding? It all seems, okay when I looked it over.

>K-daug

'06 LT "Shamu"

post #4 of 11 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 1:26 am

Did you try cleaning all of the balls & sockets on the linkage then re-lubing?
post #5 of 11 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 3:33 am

Might be out of adjustment?

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #6 of 11 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 6:13 am Thread Starter
Mister Moto

I'll try re-lubing and adjusting it tonight.

>K-daug

'06 LT "Shamu"

post #7 of 11 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 7:09 am

My brother had a Moto Guzzi that did about the same thing. The dealer took it apart and could not find anything wrong. Hopefully your dealer can do better.
post #8 of 11 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 7:40 am Thread Starter
Mister Moto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATFLT
My brother had a Moto Guzzi that did about the same thing. The dealer took it apart and could not find anything wrong. Hopefully your dealer can do better.
My dealer's building isn't finished yet, 3 more weeks! Do you mean he could shift down if he lifted the shifter slightly before pressing down, but not at all otherwise?

>K-daug

'06 LT "Shamu"

post #9 of 11 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 10:55 am

Quote:
I'll try re-lubing and adjusting it tonight.
Check the belcrank pivot. It can work loose and cause difficult shifting. It is a 4 or 5 mm allen with a 10 mm nut at the rear. Make sure all the ball links are tight. Also check for any binding in the shift lever itself. Every thing should be smooth if it all is tight and well lubricated. Given it's pretty low mileage, I'd suspect adjustment primarily. It can be a trial an error PIA to get the adjustment right; take the faceplate off, make an adjustment, test ride, then repeat the process. It's usually just a turn or turn and a half one way or the other and that's where the trial and error process is the only way I could find to get it right. If that's the problem you should see an improvement in shifting when you find which way the adjustment needs to go, it might take more "dialing in" after that.

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey

Last edited by Reid; Apr 17th, 2008 at 11:05 am.
post #10 of 11 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 12:33 pm Thread Starter
Mister Moto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid
Check the belcrank pivot. It can work loose and cause difficult shifting. It is a 4 or 5 mm allen with a 10 mm nut at the rear. Make sure all the ball links are tight. Also check for any binding in the shift lever itself. Every thing should be smooth if it all is tight and well lubricated. Given it's pretty low mileage, I'd suspect adjustment primarily. It can be a trial an error PIA to get the adjustment right; take the faceplate off, make an adjustment, test ride, then repeat the process. It's usually just a turn or turn and a half one way or the other and that's where the trial and error process is the only way I could find to get it right. If that's the problem you should see an improvement in shifting when you find which way the adjustment needs to go, it might take more "dialing in" after that.
Great info Reid! I did notice some paint scuffing behind the shifter where it was getting into the side panel "slightly". I've had it off and don't think it's bent at all.

What is the average clearance there, between the shifter and the side panel?

>K-daug

'06 LT "Shamu"

post #11 of 11 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 1:20 pm

Quote:
Great info Reid! I did notice some paint scuffing behind the shifter where it was getting into the side panel "slightly". I've had it off and don't think it's bent at all.

What is the average clearance there, between the shifter and the side panel?
I guess the part of the shifter that runs parallel to the side panel on mine is about 1/4". If yours has gone on its side (you'd be the very first to have that happen) although protected by the bars, the shifter and mechanism could've been stressed. Just guessing, wish I could help more. I'm sure others will chime in...if I recall correctly, a few months ago I read about someone having similar issues where pressing down slightly and then up to shift was what he had to do. I don't recall what the possible solutions were though.

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in