Update: Radio pause & reverse not working - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Apr 16th, 2008, 9:14 pm Thread Starter

Update: Radio pause & reverse not working

I took my '06 LT in today to get it checked out in regard to the reverse not working for more than a couple of revolutions before you had to restart it and for my radio having a one second pause intermittantly. When the service manager tested reverse it worked fine of course, but I had experianced my problem with it facing downhill. I was told that reverse was supposed to only move you a few feet before the reverse light would flash indicating you needed to push the button again. It's a safety feature so you don't lose control while backing up. But ...

I got called today (this evening) by the service manager and was told my motorcycle did report a couple of fault codes. Specifically the spedometer sensor (used for reverse) had failed (was failing, or intermittantly failed) and needed to be replaced. Secondly the radio problem was caused by an intermittant problem. Either the amplifier or radio. He couldn't tell which one was the problem and wants me to continue to use it until it fails totally so they know what part to replace. Or until then can get a better diagnostic code from it. This information is being put into my service record so should be covered by warrenty if/when it fails (not 100% sure if that applies to the time after my factory warrenty expires ot not, but the indication is that it would).

I'm supposed to pick it up Friday. I will verify then the warrenty coverage for the radio problem.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Apr 16th, 2008, 10:16 pm

Re: Update: Radio pause & reverse not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKnowles
I took my '06 LT in today to get it checked out in regard to the reverse not working for more than a couple of revolutions before you had to restart it and for my radio having a one second pause intermittantly. When the service manager tested reverse it worked fine of course, but I had experianced my problem with it facing downhill. I was told that reverse was supposed to only move you a few feet before the reverse light would flash indicating you needed to push the button again. It's a safety feature so you don't lose control while backing up. But ...
Maybe that's the way the '06 LT's reverse works, butt ole Toad, a '99, doesn't do that. Backs up slopes from start to finish - 30' or more in some cases. I'd question that service manager again, Arthur. JMHO.
post #3 of 7 Old Apr 16th, 2008, 10:49 pm Thread Starter

I did and the newer models specifically defeat the reverse until you release the the button to prevent loss of control according to the service manager. When I get my motorcycle back, I'm going to verify the operation based on the manual.

But they did find a fault, and after they fix it, if it moves back 6 feet with each button press I'll be happy with that. The problem I had with 1 ~ 1-1/2 wheel revolutions though is something else entirely.

post #4 of 7 Old Apr 16th, 2008, 11:00 pm
Just ridin'

I would have to give your dealer a couple of demerits. The reverse should not be limited in time. My '05 would back uphill the entire length of my driveway and into my garage - with a trailer (about 50 feet). It is amazing to me how many times this subject has come up. They haven't changed the bike since the '05 increase in power. Here is a recent thread found by entering the word reverse in our search engine. The most common cause of the failure you describe is a reverser speed sensor. Most often someone forgot to plug it in after disconnecting it during service. I have heard of a couple of sensor failures as well. The sensor is located at left top of the transmission and there is a connector a few inches from the sensor. If the sensor fails or is disconnected the reverse will only operate for a few seconds. This post has a picture of the connector.

The second troubling thing is the statement that your radio problem is "Either the amplifier or radio", they are both the same part - the radio. If the dealer thinks the problem is in the radio and not in the external wiring, he should just replace the radio.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 Old Apr 16th, 2008, 11:13 pm Thread Starter

Right. Saw the thread (and many others previously) before I set up my service appointment. He was pretty insistent that when the reverse light goes from full on to flashing that was a normal response and simply meant you needed to repush the button. It backed up for him in 6 ft increments on level ground. Still they did get a fault code and they are replacing a sensor so I'm willing to wait and see how it works before I do anything else.

I also plan to talk to the service manager a bit more about the radio and the diagnostic codes he encountered and see what he has to say about it. I'm going to spend a bit of time with my manuals so I can talk with a bit more of a specific knowledgebase as well.

post #6 of 7 Old Apr 16th, 2008, 11:50 pm

My 05 LT has the same thing, you press the reverse button and it backs up
6 ft then stops, repress the button and it goesanother 6 feet.
In some ways I think its not bad as it prevents run-away reverse.
I read the previous post regarding this issue I even took out the reverse
sensor from the gearbox, it looked very non descript just a 3 wire sensor
onto a geared flywheel in the gearbox, using a cut down 6mm allen key.
I carefully checked the connector on the right hand side near the layover protection bar unplugged, replugged and tested all seemed ok.

I am thinking of unplugging the sensor again and seeing if it behaves the same
way, which I would assume would confirm I am yet another user where this sensor has failed.

Has anyone tried unplugging the sensor then trying reverse to confirm the sensor needs to be replaced.

Best wishes
Tony
Tony Cross
Hobart. Tassie. Aussie

Numerous bikes ... latest ... 05 Blue LT

" I only repair something three times, then I fix it right"
post #7 of 7 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 9:29 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKnowles
Right. Saw the thread (and many others previously) before I set up my service appointment. He was pretty insistent that when the reverse light goes from full on to flashing that was a normal response and simply meant you needed to repush the button. It backed up for him in 6 ft increments on level ground.
Is this feature documented in the Owner's Manual?

Oh, go ahead, him to demonstrate this safety feature on another model, perhaps one of his demo models.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in