Anyone gone from LT to RT? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Apr 16th, 2008, 6:33 pm Thread Starter

Anyone gone from LT to RT?

Since my wife is no longer going to ride for a while (baby on the way) I was contemplating going from my LT to either a GS or an RT. I'm sure that someone has done this; any regrets? I really like my LT, but sometimes miss my ST1100 as it was much different in many respects. Any input is appreciated.
Ray

Raymond Dell'Olio
Bronx, NY
718-530-5793
2000 K1200LT (Sold)

"A nation of sheep,
Owned by pigs,
Ruled by wolves."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Apr 16th, 2008, 9:26 pm

Re: Anyone gone from LT to RT?

I have both, but if I only had one it would be the RT or GT depending on how often I would ride two-up. When my wife gave me the go ahead to repalce my '02 Concours, I had planned to buy a C-14, but after sitting on it that paln was shelved. Way too painful. So I was thinking RT or GT. tried them both at the dealer, then my wife was told to try and LT. That was it. Instead of one new motorcycle, I bought two used ones.

The GT is a great one-up motorcycle with occasional two-up usage. The RT isn't as sporty, but does better as a two-up motorcycle than the GT. Plus it has many more amenities. That was important to me as I like to listen to the radio. So, the new RT was my choice to replace my last motorcycle.

Truthfully, I'm much happier with two used motorcycles though than one new one. The forum members suggested looking at used LTs. And I found a good deal on one with the ability to extend the factory warrenty. MY RT is all in my hands for maintenance and I'm OK with that. What I like most about two motorcycles is I can work on one and still have another to ride. That makes wrenchiong on it fun rather than a chore you're under pressure to complete.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
post #3 of 10 Old Apr 16th, 2008, 9:52 pm

I also have both and the GT was a very close runner up. I may add one later this year. You'll love the RT if you get one. It has plenty of power, a lot less weight, and handles great. It may not be as comfortable as an LT but it's pretty darn close (well, except for the stock seat, it's worse than the stock LT seat). I'll never part with my LT but the RT is fun change of pace. One thing to remember is that the passenger set up on the LT is far superior, if she plans to ride in the future she may not be as happy. My wife really prefers the LT, of course she may like the RT better after the new seat goes on.

post #4 of 10 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 12:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConspiracyofOne
Since my wife is no longer going to ride for a while (baby on the way) I was contemplating going from my LT to either a GS or an RT. I'm sure that someone has done this; any regrets? I really like my LT, but sometimes miss my ST1100 as it was much different in many respects. Any input is appreciated.
Ray
Hi,
Funny you should say you miss your ST1100 I traded my ST on an LT I truly love the LT but sometimes I really miss the Honda, like slow speed and in the twisties, on the highway the LT is superb but sometimes I also miss the ST.
I don't miss the bloody awful brakes on the ST, but is was a very reliable bike I owned it for 5 years all I did with it was replace the oil and one set of tyres.
All in all a great bike, it was a close call at changeover between the fantastic ST1300 and the K1200LT.

Tony Cross
Hobart, Tassie Australia.
post #5 of 10 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 1:16 am

Well, I dont own both but I have had 2 RT's and now my second LT. I ride solo all the time and the LT wins hands down. More comfort, better engine, more toys to play with, nice sound system, better fairing protection, better seat and in my opinion handles pretty darn close to an RT above 20mph or so. No doubt about it by I literally just walked in through the door from buying a used LT and riding home.
post #6 of 10 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 4:46 am

Recent 06 LT was added to do the extra miles as a result of moving 700kms away for a new job and the kids. I have never owned two bikes at a time but I could not bring myself to parting with the GS and will try to hang on to it for it's known characteristics even though I can only ride one(cannot afford to insure both bikes).

The LT, for me, provides the added amenities, comfort and weather protection that allows me to want to put extra miles on it one or two up.

Enjoy...

"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving."

BMWMOA - #45711

2006 K1200LT - Blue Baby
2003 R1150GS - Yellowbird
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
1991 K1100RS - Sold and burned
1986 K100RS - In the past
post #7 of 10 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 9:26 am

Garage

Quote:
Since my wife is no longer going to ride for a while (baby on the way) I was contemplating going from my LT to either a GS or an RT.
Dude, your LT will still be running when she once again able and willing to ride with you.

Now, if you want a solo bike, go get one.
post #8 of 10 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 11:58 am

Wink Re: Anyone gone from LT to RT?

Quote:
Ray

My buddy just sold his LT to get an RT because of the weight isssue. He's getting on in years, so to speak, and putting the LT on it's center stand was too much of a chore. The RT is what, 300 pounds lighter? He loves it. With additional add ons, you can make the RT pretty darn close in comfort to the LT ($$$). Funny story though: After a nice day ride with him up MT. Palomar road, we stopped at a biker bar on the way home, and as we were leaving he walks over to my LT and tries to get into the top case! I guess he forgot that he was riding the RT for a second!
I've had both, and I would love to own both now, but for me the LT is the ticket. Comfort!!!!!
Cheers, Rick
post #9 of 10 Old Apr 18th, 2008, 10:03 pm

I have both a LT and a RT. Like them both for different reasons.
If I only could have one, I would keep the LT.

Mirage
2005 K1200LT
1999 R1100RT
post #10 of 10 Old Apr 19th, 2008, 11:03 pm

I traded my 05 LT for an 06 RT. I love the RT. I was suprised that the wind protection seems to me to be better than the LT. The RT us much easier to handle.
Wife only rode with me on the LT three times. Two of the rides where at CCRs. I dropped the LT more than 15 times--perhaps a record?

I find the RT very comfortable. Rode an IBA bunburner (1600 miles in less than 36 hours) and had no problems.

I also don't find the vibes that I expected.

The RT is a great bike. I do miss the power center stand however.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in