unstuck starter relay - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Apr 16th, 2008, 6:12 pm Thread Starter

unstuck starter relay

new battery was sitting with the battery charger for the last 3 days,today i decided to install new battery,,hooked up pos. touched neg. to terminal and she wanted to start,,i was not a happy camper,,started taking tupper ware off when i remembered a little tip i read here turn key to on pos. hit starter button a few times,,, worked like a charm,,all set to ride this place is great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Apr 16th, 2008, 6:17 pm

Re: unstuck starter relay

Lenny...
Ya might want to be real careful that the solenoid doesn't stick again.. you can't do a lot about it other than replace it... and hope you don't get a "new defective"....

Now... you may get a lot more time out of the solenoid (relay), but if they stick once.. welllllll... let's hope it doesn't do a stick and go "china syndrome" on you ...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old Apr 16th, 2008, 8:59 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
Lenny...
Ya might want to be real careful that the solenoid doesn't stick again.. you can't do a lot about it other than replace it... and hope you don't get a "new defective"....

Now... you may get a lot more time out of the solenoid (relay), but if they stick once.. welllllll... let's hope it doesn't do a stick and go "china syndrome" on you ...
Just a couple of points of clarification.
  • The relay contacts weld due to the heat generated by the current of a locked starter caused by a low battery. If you can unstick the contacts with the method of tapping the starter button a few times once a good battery is in place, you won't have a problem again until you try to start it with a low battery.
  • The replacement starter relay is equipped with a low voltage cutout and will not actuate when the battery is below a certain threshold - preventing the 'welded' contacts with the older design. The new version of the starter relay has been in the bikes since VIN number ZD 77402. The new relay retrofit kit part number is 61 35 7 663 945.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 Old Apr 16th, 2008, 9:25 pm

I bought a used 99LT from a guy and I think he used the cash from the sale to pay the starter replacement bill ,he said it was $1100 parts and labor (this he told me after our transaction ) 1 year later the relay stuck ,what a panick ! but it unstuck it self .Out came the old relay ,some one had opened it and unstuck it before it looked like , replace with ford pu relay and transplant flyback diode from OE relay (flyback diode is inside old relay across coil leads , it is there to stop the inductive kick from the collapsing coil field spiking the control switch /motronic ).
It looks like the starter is down deep inside and has a tough life being the reverse motor also .
I did not even think about touching the start button until relay replacement . Push start or trailer home but not another flirt with bad fate .

Bob G

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in