First Ride Two Up - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Apr 16th, 2008, 2:18 pm Thread Starter

First Ride Two Up

Well I am pleased to announce that my SO gives the 1200LT a big thumbs up.
I have had the bike for 2 months now and wanted to get use to it before riding with her on back. She loved it and commented on how comfortable it was. I didnt know what to expect myself and am surprised at how well it rode and handled even at slow turning speeds and stopping. What a bike!!!
The engine had no strain at all. My old 1200CLC did not feel near as nice and I always felt uneasy with 2 up on it. Mainly on corners and stopping but not with the LT. One note. She didnt like my Bakup backrest so that came off for our ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Apr 16th, 2008, 2:28 pm

Re: First Ride Two Up

We just got our LT last Nov after not having ridden in some 18 years or so, and I have not wanted my SO to ride along until I had more time riding it for a couple of weeks. We may take a ride together tomorrow.

What I did find disturbing was, she sleeps on the bike, and I had no idea. I had considered arm rests, but that would interfere with her getting on and off. I had been allowing her to get on first, until I made the mistake once too often (the bike had just a tad to much lean when I tried to right it), and no longer mount after her.

We have a 99 that needs shocks, and it is still the best bike I have ridden....keeping in mind how easy it is these days to forget all the great rides I had thirty years ago.

We also put on a large sheepskin seat cover, helps out a lot for us older folk.

post #3 of 14 Old Apr 16th, 2008, 4:18 pm

You may want to give Don Muddiman's armrests a look. They fold up out of the way for mounting/dismounting.

post #4 of 14 Old Apr 16th, 2008, 4:22 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

I guess I look at thing different then y'all .When I got my LT I road home, picked up my wife and we went and put 300 miles on her. A mix of city, highway, & twisties. Now after 3 years can't get her off the thing

Stevie Shreeve
post #5 of 14 Old Apr 16th, 2008, 4:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
I road home, picked up my wife and we went and put 300 miles on her.
Should you be telling us things like that on a public forum?

Just pussin' through.
post #6 of 14 Old Apr 16th, 2008, 4:33 pm

I am pretty sure that most common armrests made for the LT all fold back in one fashon or another. I have Don's on our bike. They fold up and will stay up until you pull them down.

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #7 of 14 Old Apr 16th, 2008, 5:05 pm

I have Don's armrests too and my wife loves them. I do have her fold them up around town in case the big girl (LT not the wife) decides to take a nap on me at a light. She falls asleep also and likes the security of the armrests.

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #8 of 14 Old Apr 16th, 2008, 6:35 pm

Thumbs up Re: First Ride Two Up

+1 0n Dons arm rests

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL
post #9 of 14 Old Apr 16th, 2008, 7:08 pm

The only thing worse than having missed the $10 sale on Don's armrests by Andy (my notification for new classifieds was not working and still doesn't), would have been that I purchased them at full price the week or two before the 08 price increase...and then saw a pair go for that price on the forum.

It was at this point we realized, the hard way, my SO had to mount up after the bike was upright, and she has enough problem getting her feet past the speakers.

Maybe somewhere down the road....... ;^/
post #10 of 14 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 6:35 am

My wife and I have found for us the best way is for me to mount first and hold the bike upright with both feet on the ground. I lean over the tank with my body to the left and she mounts from the right. It is too hard for me to pick both of us up off the sidestand. I'm not brave enough or tall enough (5'8") to try going off the center stand with her on board.

We have the Ztechnic arm rests and she loves them and will nap when we are on the highway. My complaint is they block the center of my mirrors when folded back.

Bruce Buchner

Bruce Buchner
2017 R1200RT Platinum Bronze Metallic
2012 R1200RT Fluid Grey Metallic (Little Girl) Traded on the 2017 RT
2007 K1200LT Storm Grey Metallic (Big Girl) Traded on the 2017 RT
2001 325XI 4dr Sold
1967 2000CS Coupe (Left it in Germany)
post #11 of 14 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 6:50 am

I've not heard of Don's armrests. Does he have a web page?
post #12 of 14 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 6:55 am

Wife sleeping on the LT must be from a lack of oxygen or something. On our first long trip after Amarillo, TX. I heard and felt a crash in my helmet, thought I was shot, spoke into the mike inquiring of my wife's condition, only to get a sheepish reply: "I'm sorry, I fell asleep". The crash was her helmet hitting mine.

We still laugh about it. Now I feel her helmet tapping mine lightly, then I start talking to her to wake her up.

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 14 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 12:56 pm

It's probably a good thing your wife objected to the backrest as having a backrest on can trap the passenger on the motorcycle in an accident or slide. I considered the backup backrest until I read about this potentially life threatening problem riding two-up. Instead of a backrest, I bought the Back-A-Line back support form Cycle Gadgets. I just got it today and am wearing to mold it to my back. It (back) already feels batter and well supported. Might take a look at it.

As for arm rests, well Don's are close to what I have and similar in function & instalaltion. But instead of Don's I bought the GG Technic arm rest. Cost quite a bit more than Don's but I got them at dealer cost during my 30 day purchase offer when I bought my motorcycle. Not only does my wife like them, but my youngest daugther loves them! Any arm rest should work, but only Don's and GG Technic will fold up directly over the speakers. Both require drilling out the hinges, relocating the top case light switch, and riviting in the hings again. The Ztechnic requires drilling the side case. I was not willing to do that, so no ZTechnic for me.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
post #14 of 14 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 7:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiman
Well I am pleased to announce that my SO gives the 1200LT a big thumbs up.
I have had the bike for 2 months now and wanted to get use to it before riding with her on back. She loved it and commented on how comfortable it was. I didnt know what to expect myself and am surprised at how well it rode and handled even at slow turning speeds and stopping. What a bike!!!
The engine had no strain at all. My old 1200CLC did not feel near as nice and I always felt uneasy with 2 up on it. Mainly on corners and stopping but not with the LT. One note. She didnt like my Bakup backrest so that came off for our ride.
My wife has always been prone to falling asleep back there. While it is disturbing to me it hasn't been an issue in our 34 years of riding together. I've always had saddle bags and a trunk, if it's a camping trip she is also has a sleeping bag on top of both bags so in reality she is snuggled in pretty good so it would take a major body shift to fall off or affect the handling. Still, for my peace of mind, arm rests will be added if she gets back into riding on a regular basis.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in