Initial indicators of FD failure? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Apr 16th, 2008, 10:22 am Thread Starter

Initial indicators of FD failure?

I'm wondering what are indicators when FD begins to fail. Can you tell it while riding? When I changed my rear tire last year and took it for a ride the bike started shaking. I rode it home and checked to ensure the tire mounting was correct (although I didn't check torque on the mounting bolts/nuts). Everything was fine and it's only done it once since then if I remember correctly. I have put a few hundred miles on it since without issue. Could this be an indicator of FD failure or could it be tire mounting related? I'd probably better drain the FD and check for metal flaking. The tire is a Metz 880.

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Apr 16th, 2008, 7:40 pm

Re: Initial indicators of FD failure?

I was riding along, with a brick wall to the right of me, and heard a buzzing sound bouncing off the wall...I was going about 40 mph. I slowed and it slowed, I pulled in the clutch and it still buzzed.....that told me it was the front or rear.

draining the oil told me the rest.
post #3 of 11 Old Apr 16th, 2008, 8:28 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Take the rear wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock and do a push with one hand and a pull with the other. Alternate the movement. Don't be a puss when you do it either. If you feel any movement then you are probably heading in the failure direction.
That's what mine did so we had it rebuilt. So far, so good!

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'

post #4 of 11 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 10:34 am Thread Starter

Thanks fellers!

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey
post #5 of 11 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 11:04 am
Lifetime Supporter

It appears you're not getting a lot of response to your question. Probably cause it's been well documented already. I wrote about my symptoms here in message #6 and also, within that message, I cited another reference. A search of "FD" should find a lot more info.

HTH,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #6 of 11 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 11:47 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jers99lt
It appears you're not getting a lot of response to your question. Probably cause it's been well documented already. I wrote about my symptoms here in message #6 and also, within that message, I cited another reference. A search of "FD" should find a lot more info.Jer
Thanks Jerry. That's what I was looking for. I did try searching yesterday for info, but was too specific in my search query apparently. I'm beginning to think FD failure is a possibility now. What threw me was the fact that I experienced this "phenomenon" on the first ride after replacing the rear tire. The vibration was like that of a low tire. Then it went away. I haven't noticed any oil under the FD, but sure will be keeping an eye out for it. Still have a year of extended warranty, so better ride it hard and see if it'll fail.

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975

--H.H. Humphrey
post #7 of 11 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 4:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid
I'm wondering what are indicators when FD begins to fail. Can you tell it while riding? When I changed my rear tire last year and took it for a ride the bike started shaking. I rode it home and checked to ensure the tire mounting was correct (although I didn't check torque on the mounting bolts/nuts). Everything was fine and it's only done it once since then if I remember correctly. I have put a few hundred miles on it since without issue. Could this be an indicator of FD failure or could it be tire mounting related? I'd probably better drain the FD and check for metal flaking. The tire is a Metz 880.
My first indication was a definite vibration coming through the footpegs. It went totally out about 450 miles later. I should have stopped about 400 miles before that!

Cheers - Jack
post #8 of 11 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 4:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid
Thanks Jerry. That's what I was looking for. I did try searching yesterday for info, but was too specific in my search query apparently. I'm beginning to think FD failure is a possibility now. What threw me was the fact that I experienced this "phenomenon" on the first ride after replacing the rear tire. The vibration was like that of a low tire. Then it went away. I haven't noticed any oil under the FD, but sure will be keeping an eye out for it. Still have a year of extended warranty, so better ride it hard and see if it'll fail.
If it was perfect before the tyre change and FD failed after..................hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
I wonder if tightening wheel bolts on replacing Rear with engine in gear may put extra sideways pressure on the wrong part.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #9 of 11 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 5:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by c00k1e
If it was perfect before the tyre change and FD failed after..................hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
I wonder if tightening wheel bolts on replacing Rear with engine in gear may put extra sideways pressure on the wrong part.
Cookie.. ya gotta lighten up on the sauce!!!! =)

Nah.. you didn't break it...

I think there is an interesting path to be considered that the high rear tire pressures may transfer too much vibration and impact loads rather than absorbing/dampening it.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #10 of 11 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 7:31 pm

What is the current thinking on rear tire pressure? 48?

Brian

post #11 of 11 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 7:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwestrider
What is the current thinking on rear tire pressure? 48?

Brian
Yup... 42/48....I find that a bit stiff on the rear tire... (Metz)... but I'm following that suggestion.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in