Final Drive Kaput! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Apr 15th, 2008, 2:58 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy Final Drive Kaput!

I just got off the phone with my dealer and he advises the crown bearing is gone and they are going to replace the final drive with a new one. I have a 2004 but purchased it new in August 05 so It's all under warranty. so I guess I'm a 4%. My dealer Open Road BMW in Newmarket has been great to deal with on this picked up my bike at my house and kept me in the loop. They say I may even have it back this friday, I'll keep you posted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Apr 15th, 2008, 3:28 pm

Re: Final Drive Kaput!

Sorry to hear that, but at least you're covered. If I might ask, how many miles, and did they offer you any ideas as to why it may have gone? What sort of maintainance program?
post #3 of 15 Old Apr 15th, 2008, 3:54 pm

Man that's a bummer. Do share if you learn more.
I'm really nervous now; was under the impression that this was a pre-2003 issue.
Guess not...

post #4 of 15 Old Apr 15th, 2008, 4:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeS
I just got off the phone with my dealer and he advises the crown bearing is gone and they are going to replace the final drive with a new one. I have a 2004 but purchased it new in August 05 so It's all under warranty. so I guess I'm a 4%. My dealer Open Road BMW in Newmarket has been great to deal with on this picked up my bike at my house and kept me in the loop. They say I may even have it back this friday, I'll keep you posted
How many miles did you have on your bike? I had 41,000 miles on my 2005 when it went.

Jerry Mathison
Woodbine, Iowa
2008 Gold Wing
2005 Ocean Blue (Sold)
BMWMOA #25294

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 Old Apr 15th, 2008, 5:35 pm

Took my 03 with 45k in on Friday and found out the pinion gear teeth were chipping. Order an 04 FD with 10K from a trike manufacture and should have it this week. Just purchased the bike two months ago and only put 5K on it. Small price to pay for such a thrill. Hopefully, this will be the last of the repairs.

Mark Salazar
Paso Robles, CA
2003 K1200LT
post #6 of 15 Old Apr 15th, 2008, 6:20 pm Thread Starter

It has 28,000 km so thats roughly 18,000 miles, no indication as to why. The dealer has done all the scheduled maintainance. Luck of the draw I guess. 75% of my riding is two up at 70-80mph on the highway. It just started to vibrate while on a ride last week and got progressively worse. Got it home put it on the center stand and spun the wheel kind of a metal on metal sound. Suspected it right away. Dealer came and picked it up and told me the news today. Should have it back by the weekend.
post #7 of 15 Old Apr 15th, 2008, 9:49 pm

I think many of these bearing failures (assuming they are spalling) could be detected much much earlier as a crunch-crunch-crunch sound if there was a way to listen to the FD housing while driving on a smooth road at moderate speed.

I don't think the bearing would make much noise though if it was unloaded like simply being spun while on the center stand.

Some sort of contact microphone system is needed to pick up the sound. I saw a minimum level hearing aid at Walgreens locally for about $14 which would have been small enough to epoxy to the FD housing. A cheap guitar mic would be an ideal input alternative - though I have not found one yet.

Is there any other reasonable way to do this? You guys have a lot of clever ideas.........
post #8 of 15 Old Apr 16th, 2008, 9:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel_petersen
I think many of these bearing failures (assuming they are spalling) could be detected much much earlier as a crunch-crunch-crunch sound if there was a way to listen to the FD housing while driving on a smooth road at moderate speed.

I don't think the bearing would make much noise though if it was unloaded like simply being spun while on the center stand.

Some sort of contact microphone system is needed to pick up the sound. I saw a minimum level hearing aid at Walgreens locally for about $14 which would have been small enough to epoxy to the FD housing. A cheap guitar mic would be an ideal input alternative - though I have not found one yet.

Is there any other reasonable way to do this? You guys have a lot of clever ideas.........
Forget all these ideas of trying to detect bearing failures. Why can't BMW just correct the problem with a different design. I have been in manufacturing all my life and when you find there is a problem you fix it. This is what all other motorcycle manufactures do. Look at Honda with their cracked frames. They took care of the ones that cracked and fixed the problem. Same with their over heating problem. It should not be up to the consumer to find a fix.

Jerry Mathison
Woodbine, Iowa
2008 Gold Wing
2005 Ocean Blue (Sold)
BMWMOA #25294

post #9 of 15 Old Apr 16th, 2008, 10:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrym
Forget all these ideas of trying to detect bearing failures. Why can't BMW just correct the problem with a different design. I have been in manufacturing all my life and when you find there is a problem you fix it. This is what all other motorcycle manufactures do. Look at Honda with their cracked frames. They took care of the ones that cracked and fixed the problem. Same with their over heating problem. It should not be up to the consumer to find a fix.

AMEN -- BMW needs to step up to the plate and take care of their customers and fix this FD issue once and for all. They need to admit that they have a piece of sh-t design and fix it. I have an 07 with only 12,000 miles on it and have not had a problem yet, I just hope BMW comes up with fix so when my fd does go the replacement will last the life of the bike ( dreaming) until then I will just keep riding.
post #10 of 15 Old Apr 16th, 2008, 12:11 pm

Re: New Design FD

BMW did recognize they had a problem with the FD and redesigned it. Check out all of the new model BMW bikes the FD is redesigned to the point it even has a big hole through the drive hub to provide some air cooling and you don't ever have to change the FD lube after the first 600 mile flush. The only model that they have not changed it on is the K1200LT. I am thinking they are in the process of a complete redesign of the LT or they are going to drop it from the product offering. JMHO

--Thats OK I don't care--
post #11 of 15 Old Apr 16th, 2008, 1:03 pm Thread Starter

Looking at the final drive failure registry, I see several new design RT's and GS's with final drive failures so they haven't fixed it per se. I think the cause will be debated forever. My bike is under warranty and the dealer and BMW Canada have been great my concern is what happens when the warranty is expired? Some members have experienced several failures. BMW should cover all FD failures regardless of mileage knowing well they have a dubious design.
post #12 of 15 Old Apr 16th, 2008, 1:26 pm

Hi George,

Does your riding include a lot of riding in the wet? Just wondering if this even possibly a factor?

Al
post #13 of 15 Old Apr 16th, 2008, 5:11 pm Thread Starter

Not much riding in the rain try to avoid it unless I have to. I think this is a mystery for the ages, just too many variables.
post #14 of 15 Old Apr 16th, 2008, 7:06 pm

Re: New Design FD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshine
BMW did recognize they had a problem with the FD and redesigned it. Check out all of the new model BMW bikes the FD is redesigned to the point it even has a big hole through the drive hub to provide some air cooling and you don't ever have to change the FD lube after the first 600 mile flush. The only model that they have not changed it on is the K1200LT. I am thinking they are in the process of a complete redesign of the LT or they are going to drop it from the product offering. JMHO
There is a statement from BMW on motorcycledaily today saying they are still dedicated to Touring.

2011 BMW 1600GTL
2000 BMW R1100R
2008 Burgman 650EX
post #15 of 15 Old Apr 18th, 2008, 8:35 am Thread Starter

Smile Re: Final Drive Kaput!

I got it back last night had it out for an hour and it ran great. I'm hoping it stays that way. I was thinking of downsizing to an RT but the comfort of the lT is hard to beat, warranty's almost up going to purchase an extended warranty and hold onto it. Special thanks to Pat Doyle at Open Road for the great service.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in