Storms Suck!!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old Apr 14th, 2008, 8:24 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs down Storms Suck!!!

If any of you recall i was a vehement defender of Avon tyres when everyone was complaining about the new Storm(s). Though i maintain my defense of their tires over the last 20+ yrs i have used them i finally wore out the Azaro's and was able to put a set of the Storms on and show everyone a thing or two....its been about 3500mi and today i went on a day ride to Boise (500mi round trip) and in that time they went from good to extreme cupping and wear. So from a staunch defender of the Avon tyre company i now stand humbled, corrected and cannot recommend the storms to anyone riding an LT. They handled excellently in typical Avon fashion until today...and now they SUCK ! So i will have to either find a set of Azaro's or try something else (not the noisy, crappy handling, corner washout ME88's either) that is performance oriented with reasonable mileage return.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old Apr 14th, 2008, 8:59 pm

Re: Storms Suck!!!

+1

At least you got 3500 miles out of them.
At 1800 miles I thought I had one more ride, after 150 miles they were GONE.
The confident handling was gone by 1200 miles.

Please note that I only ride in the mountains and the road surfaces here are very abrasive.
God forbid that those of you who get 12K miles flame me because I can ride the LT.
I did go back to the Metz... I am at 2K miles right now with good tread.

Visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #3 of 33 Old Apr 14th, 2008, 9:51 pm

If you don't like the Metzlers and you have some sitting around, i'll take them off your hands...

I think they are the best tire for what they are designed to do. I have tried others for the LT and they just don't cut it.

If you want a sport bike, buy one.

post #4 of 33 Old Apr 14th, 2008, 10:18 pm

Those Avons have the load rating the Metzs have? I hope so.....

Craig Hutchison
02 Pac Blue (Aka Blue Ox)
34 14 12.63 N
119 01 21.64 W

Why coast through Life when you can Corner it.
post #5 of 33 Old Apr 14th, 2008, 10:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rglassma
If you don't like the Metzlers and you have some sitting around, i'll take them off your hands...

I think they are the best tire for what they are designed to do. I have tried others for the LT and they just don't cut it.

Well said (IMHO)...

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #6 of 33 Old Apr 15th, 2008, 6:04 am

Quote:
The LT can just about do everything a sportbike can, Trust me.
I can't speak for "SKABOOTS", but I have a garage full of sportbikes and only one LT.
The LT is more than just another "old fart bike," as you have made it...

I would not put any variation of Avon tires on any bike.
I actually like the METZ, but would much prefer a set of Michelins.
If only the Pilot Powers came with a high weight rating.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #7 of 33 Old Apr 15th, 2008, 6:07 am Thread Starter

I thought the LT was a sport bike...
post #8 of 33 Old Apr 15th, 2008, 6:28 am

I think the LT is just fine the way it is... It can be for young folks, middle aged folks or old folks.

This is about tires, not the bike. Metzlers are probably the best selling tire out there for the LT. No they are not sticky, but they last a long time and they do the job. My bike originally had Bridgestones. I don't think I saw more then 6-7K out of one. They cup very easily. They are good performing tires, but not really cost affective. Spending $300.00+ every 6K to change tires is fine if you don't have a family to feed and you are independently wealthy. Unfortunately, I can not claim to be that affluent.

Metzlers seem to be the best compromise. Ride safely and responsibly. Let the tires warm up, and they seem to perform adequitely for most of us. But, they aren't for everyone...

So, once you have dropped thousands trying to find the right tire, let us know what it is ...

Good Luck.
post #9 of 33 Old Apr 15th, 2008, 7:05 am

Which Storms are you talking about? AV55? Was the problem you had with the front, back, or both?
post #10 of 33 Old Apr 15th, 2008, 7:42 am

"Metzlers seem to be the best compromise. Ride safely and responsibly. Let the tires warm up, and they seem to perform adequitely for most of us. But, they aren't for everyone... "

I don't get the concept of "adequately" performing tires. It does not matter how safe and responsible I ride, when the time comes were I need to react quickly to a situation I want the stickiest best handling tires I can get. How does the cost of replacing tires after 8,000 miles vs 12,000 miles compare to going down?

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #11 of 33 Old Apr 15th, 2008, 9:11 am

Sorry I bothered.. You guys just want to debate. Buy whatever you want and split hairs with each other...

Everything sucks but what you think is best, whatever that is... This thread is both counter productive and a waste of time. I am not wasting my time anymore... No matter how good this forum is, there are always those that just want to fight and debate about nothing.

Just go ride your bike and have fun.. If you have nothing better to do, go fight with your wife or beat your dog or something. I'm done wasting my time.

Last edited by rglassma; Apr 15th, 2008 at 9:23 am.
post #12 of 33 Old Apr 15th, 2008, 10:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rglassma
Sorry I bothered.. You guys just want to debate. Buy whatever you want and split hairs with each other...

Everything sucks but what you think is best, whatever that is... This thread is both counter productive and a waste of time. I am not wasting my time anymore... No matter how good this forum is, there are always those that just want to fight and debate about nothing.

Just go ride your bike and have fun.. If you have nothing better to do, go fight with your wife or beat your dog or something. I'm done wasting my time.
Bad day?

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #13 of 33 Old Apr 15th, 2008, 10:42 am

I think I have the answer to what is going on here. I am on my 3rd set of Storms on the LT (2003 LTE). The first 2 front tires had serious vibration problems even though I balanced them myself. The 3rd front has been just fine.

Seems to me that Avon had a serious quality control problem with front Storms....it also seems that they now have that corrected. If you are unlucky enough to get some of the old stock....you will not be happy.

What am I going to do about it?.....I feel that it will take time for Avon to get these through the system. I ordered another rear Storm and a Metzeler 880 Radial front for my next go around.( yes they are weight rated for the LT )

The handling of the Storms has been noticeably better than the 880 Bias plys.

I will monitor the forum and would appreciate more input as time goes by to see if it will be time to go back to a Storm front tire.

I did write to Avon about the problem but got no response. That did not make me happy.

Ron

747,891 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 96,669miles (new)
Total BMW miles 509,508
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #14 of 33 Old Apr 15th, 2008, 11:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellenbenz
Seems to me that Avon had a serious quality control problem with front Storms....it also seems that they now have that corrected. If you are unlucky enough to get some of the old stock....you will not be happy.

I did write to Avon about the problem but got no response. That did not make me happy.

Ron
I'd contact the local Avon rep. A friend had issues with an Avon tire on his Road King. The local rep handled it satisfactorily, albeit reluctantly.

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey
post #15 of 33 Old Apr 15th, 2008, 11:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellenbenz

Ron
Have you tried calling their Customer Service, 800-624-7470? I had a problem with my first front and when I called they were very prompt and easy to work with. No problems with this set, in fact they hold their pressure better than anything I've had. The only negative thing I can say is that they are starting to get a bit noisy in the curves.

Malcolm McGee
Little Rock, AR
'00 K1200LTC Canyon Red
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'96 Bunkhouse
IBA #24557
BMWMOA #117769

post #16 of 33 Old Apr 15th, 2008, 11:53 am

I too purchased and installed a new Storm front tire a short time ago. The vibration started at about 500 miles and has gotten so bad I have parked the bike until I can get a replacement. My email to the vendor has gone unanswered and I really would like an answer. The previous Avon Azaro was one of the best front tires I have ever had and wish I could find another one.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #17 of 33 Old Apr 15th, 2008, 5:43 pm

All;

Do I get Storms from another planet or what? 1 set dealer 2nd set mototires 3rd set Dennis kirk.
Read my posts. Go 42/48. 12k front 16k rear.
On 3rd set!!!!!!!!!!!

Zeke

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #18 of 33 Old Apr 15th, 2008, 7:24 pm

I had been running the Storms and had a front tire go out of round at 4,700 miles and called Avon Customer Service and was advised to return to a Avon Dealer for a no cost replacement of which I did, no problem. The rear is now down to the wear bars at 8,700 miles. I really liked the way the Storms handled in the curves, had a ball, however I would have liked a little better mileage from them I usually get 12,000 to 14,000 miles out of a Metzler rear & about double that out of the front. I now have a new set of Avion's coming this week along with a new set of Metzler's. Since the bulk of my riding for the first part of the season will be usually non curvy roads I will mount up the Metzler's first but if I take a notion to head for some curve carving the Avion's will be put on. I do my own mounting & balancing so it is a only two to three hour job. Other than that buy what tires make you feel safe and happy. This is a wonderful country we can purchase what ever we want, be it tires, oil, or seats.

--Thats OK I don't care--
post #19 of 33 Old Apr 16th, 2008, 9:26 am Thread Starter

Thanks Zaphod and Moonshine for constructive advice, i am going to call Avon this morning and go from there...i was trying to find another set of Azaro's but i guess they are pretty much gone...this is the first set of Avon tires i have had a problem with since my first set of RoadRunner's in about 86'......so we will see how they treat a long time customer.
post #20 of 33 Old Apr 16th, 2008, 1:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaboots
Thanks Zaphod and Moonshine for constructive advice, i am going to call Avon this morning and go from there...i was trying to find another set of Azaro's but i guess they are pretty much gone...this is the first set of Avon tires i have had a problem with since my first set of RoadRunner's in about 86'......so we will see how they treat a long time customer.
I put my first set of Storms on my 03 LTC two (2) months ago and have put about 2k on them and, so far, have had no problems and love them!
I had always ran Avon on my Harley. The one thing that I am making myself do is, check the tire pressure about twice a week. I ride the LT seven days a week unless it is pouring rain upon opening the garage door.
Last week while out for a ride : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghUaus21DZY
I noticed a bad front end wobble when I took my hands off the bars, a tire pressure check showed the rear was only at 32 PSI.
What do you all think is a good pressure to keep the front and rear at?
post #21 of 33 Old Apr 16th, 2008, 1:30 pm

I've been keeping mine at 42 (the rated max), although some have reported using 48 on the rear with no ill effects. Im surprised your rear got so low, did you replace your stem when you changed tires? I can go weeks before having to top mine off, they hold pressure better than any other tire I've ever had.

Malcolm McGee
Little Rock, AR
'00 K1200LTC Canyon Red
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'96 Bunkhouse
IBA #24557
BMWMOA #117769

post #22 of 33 Old Apr 16th, 2008, 1:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod
I've been keeping mine at 42 (the rated max), although some have reported using 48 on the rear with no ill effects. Im surprised your rear got so low, did you replace your stem when you changed tires? I can go weeks before having to top mine off, they hold pressure better than any other tire I've ever had.
We had some rather strange weather, from very hot to very cold over the course of seven days, I know that when real cold, my car tire pressure sensor will come on with a low pressure warning. I'm thinking that the cold weather might have some cause, also, not sure what the dealership did for a pressure when I had the tires replaced.
I checked for air leaks around the valve stem with soapy water and found no leaks.
I'll just keep checking at least once a week.
post #23 of 33 Old Apr 16th, 2008, 4:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollywoodLast week while out for a ride : [url
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghUaus21DZY[/url]
It was recommended by Zeke, I think, to run 42 and 48. I ran mine at 42 42 and it was fine but got real low mileage out of my rear. No problems with the front as it is still on.

BTW, I didn't see any curves in that video, am I going blind

All kidding aside, that might be the best in Florida? I've only been there when I was 5.

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #24 of 33 Old Apr 18th, 2008, 10:17 am

I have 10K+ on a rear storm with no problems. I just put a storm on the front a week ago. we'll see...

'02 LT Silver
Purchased April 07
77K miles
post #25 of 33 Old Apr 18th, 2008, 3:21 pm

I put a new set of storms on my 02LT, rode it less than 1/2 mile, went back to the dealer and told them to take them off. I went with the Mets, they are the best for the LT, In my opinion.
post #26 of 33 Old Apr 18th, 2008, 4:59 pm Thread Starter

Talking Re: Storms Suck!!!

Well good news, i called Avon complained and they had my dealer (not BMW) look at the tires, he called them back with the same info i told them and they are sending a new version of the Storms tomorrow...My faith in Avon is restored. Thanks Zaphod and Moonshine for the advice, i would probably have went and bought some crappy non-performing metz or other low performance tire ....The rep did say the first run of the Storms did not do so hot on the heavy bikes, but all is supposed to be good now. I'm bettin allot of the other manufacturers would'nt go this far....oh ya did i mention no pro-rate, free !!!!!!!!!!!!
post #27 of 33 Old Apr 20th, 2008, 7:22 am

Good to hear! I have had at least 8 sets of Cooper tires on my cars and trucks. All were great except for 2 tires, which were replaced for free. Way to hang in there Phantom The Avons are more rounded and take a little getting use to at first. But after a little wear in and some miles, they are a great handling tire on dry road and wet

'02 LT Silver
Purchased April 07
77K miles
post #28 of 33 Old Apr 21st, 2008, 10:28 am

Quote:
Well good news, i called Avon complained and they had my dealer (not BMW) look at the tires, he called them back with the same info i told them and they are sending a new version of the Storms tomorrow...My faith in Avon is restored. Thanks Zaphod and Moonshine for the advice, i would probably have went and bought some crappy non-performing metz or other low performance tire ....The rep did say the first run of the Storms did not do so hot on the heavy bikes, but all is supposed to be good now. I'm bettin allot of the other manufacturers would'nt go this far....oh ya did i mention no pro-rate, free !!!!!!!!!!!!
I am going to take my front Avon to a local (Aiken SC) dealer to try to get an adjustment out of Avon - per instructions from a customer rep at Avon. I am not sure I really want another Storm tire as I am a bit gun shy of them at the moment. I had to order a new Azara just to be able to ride this next week so I don't know how they are going to handle this problem. Hope Avon follows up with all of us.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #29 of 33 Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 10:15 am

I have about 3600 miles on a front Storm and now notice a pronounced wobble in the handlebar at lower speeds. In looking at the tire, it appears like a "ridge" has formed in the center of the tire. I called Avon and the guy told me I should be running 36 psi in that tire. He said that he felt that at 42 psi that I had been running, this could be too much air for the tire profile.

He did say that if the problem continues to bring it to a dealer to have them look at it and then call Avon to have them resolve the issue.

I will try the lower pressure and see if that resolves the problem.

James Hart
2002 LTE Titan Silver
1992 Yamaha Virago 750 (given to friend)
River Oaks, TX
post #30 of 33 Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 11:51 am

I looked at the tire and it indicates 42psi cold. So I'm not sure what book the guy at Avon was/is referencing.

I took my bike to the local Honda dealer to get an inspection sticker and asked him about the front. He said that it is cupping. He said a couple of reasons could contribute to this and they are improper air pressure and improper balance. I check my pressure regularly and also balanced the tire to a T after it was installed.

Kinda disappointing. 3600 miles.

James Hart
2002 LTE Titan Silver
1992 Yamaha Virago 750 (given to friend)
River Oaks, TX
post #31 of 33 Old May 1st, 2008, 10:19 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: Storms Suck!!! Not really

got my new factory free replacement storms, mounted and ready to go....i am real pleased with Avon customer support and being able to admit the first batch was not rated well for the heavy tourers...rep also hinted another model for heavy tourers that like to go fast and drag pegs...cant wait...
post #32 of 33 Old May 2nd, 2008, 11:12 am

And here I thought this whole thread was about getting caught in a downpour......

my bad.

Beautify America - Get a Tattoo!
2002 K1200LT (going, going, GONE)
post #33 of 33 Old May 2nd, 2008, 12:44 pm

Re: Storms Suck!!! Not really

Quote:
got my new factory free replacement storms, mounted and ready to go....i am real pleased with Avon customer support and being able to admit the first batch was not rated well for the heavy tourers...rep also hinted another model for heavy tourers that like to go fast and drag pegs...cant wait...
The front Storm I pulled off my bike with less than 1500 miles looks burned on the inside of the tire. I ran it at 42 psi and it looks like I should have had it higher. This tire is not adequate for the LT - especially if you are going to run it in the mountains, two up or loaded. DO NOT PURCHASE THIS FRONT TIRE FOR THE LT! The replacement tire (another Storm) is going south even faster than the first one. I now have $250 in two worthless front tires purchased within the last month.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in