Can Throttle cables be lubed to improve their action until I find time/$$ to replace? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Apr 13th, 2008, 11:57 pm Thread Starter

Can Throttle cables be lubed to improve their action until I find time/$$ to replace?

short of replacing all the throttle cables/actuators on my LT to improve the "Action" of them,....is there some intermediate procedure (lubing with Teflon spray?) to improve throttle actuation?

Brian in Austin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Apr 14th, 2008, 12:32 am

Re: Can Throttle cables be lubed to improve their action until I find time/$$ to replace?

Brian,

this works well: http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/cables/cable_luber
post #3 of 12 Old Apr 14th, 2008, 5:49 am

Re: Can Throttle cables be lubed to improve their action until I find time/$$ to repl

2 and a half years ago, mine were so stiff I was sure that they would soon break. I lubed them with CRC Heavy Duty Silicone. That was 40K miles ago. They are still working fine. I only had to disconnect them at the twist grip and the only tupperware I removed was the right handle-bar cover.

Mike Kiesel

Medina, Ohio
2000 K1200LT (Katerina)
"She's big and graceful - most of the time"

post #4 of 12 Old Apr 14th, 2008, 8:18 am Thread Starter

Re: Can Throttle cables be lubed to improve their action until I find time/$$ to replace?

Thanks Mike,

That is exactly what I was considering.....I actually have one of those motion pro lubers somewhere.....if it didn't get stolen when my storage unit got broken into.

Where did you find the CRC HD Silicone spray?

Brian

post #5 of 12 Old Apr 14th, 2008, 10:07 am
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwestrider
short of replacing all the throttle cables/actuators on my LT to improve the "Action" of them,....is there some intermediate procedure (lubing with Teflon spray?) to improve throttle actuation?

Brian in Austin
The only thing I can add to what the others have said is that a petroleum based lubricant will cause the Teflon liners to swell. As I understand it and as Mike stated, a silicone based lubricant will work.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #6 of 12 Old Apr 14th, 2008, 1:00 pm

Re: Can Throttle cables be lubed to improve their action until I find time/$$ to repl

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwestrider
Thanks Mike,

That is exactly what I was considering.....I actually have one of those motion pro lubers somewhere.....if it didn't get stolen when my storage unit got broken into.

Where did you find the CRC HD Silicone spray?

Brian
I got it at NAPA

Mike Kiesel

Medina, Ohio
2000 K1200LT (Katerina)
"She's big and graceful - most of the time"
post #7 of 12 Old Apr 14th, 2008, 1:59 pm

Brian,

My local WalMart had it in the automotive section.

Ron

747,891 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 96,669miles (new)
Total BMW miles 509,508
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #8 of 12 Old Apr 14th, 2008, 6:45 pm Thread Starter

OK guys, I took the right side bar cover off and pulled the cable housing covers and then released the throttle cables.....I DID find my Cable luber (Thats exciting) and had some regular Permatex Silicone spray.....put the luber on the cable,...plugged in my can of Silicone and sprayed.......there is a lot of Silicone spraying out of the end of the luber......I have moved the luber back and forth on the cable end and tried pressing a rag down against the end that the spray is coming out of....

Given that the cables have what looks like a black plastic or rubber inner sleeve that essentially seals off the loose end of the cable,....Im wondering if any lube is getting in there.

Also wondering if the "Heavy Duty" Silicone is critical here.....I am concerned that a more viscous lube (the HD CRC) might actually produce some drag itself.....but I am headed to Walmart in a minute to see if they have it.

Brian

post #9 of 12 Old Apr 14th, 2008, 7:59 pm

I'd think that lock lubricant containing graphite would work real good.

Any opinions or thoughts on that stuff. Well I used to use it with excellent results in the other brand of motorcycle I used to ride before I left the dark side.

B D R
post #10 of 12 Old Apr 14th, 2008, 8:04 pm Thread Starter

Walmart did have the Heavy Duty Silicone.

Anyone know how it differs from regular Silicone spray?

Brian

post #11 of 12 Old Apr 15th, 2008, 9:58 am

Newer used throttle cable

I had a pull throttle cable fray at 25K. I installed a newer used, unfrayed, cable. Then I took 1 spring off 1 throttle body to ease the tension. I was amazed how good the throttle action was. Then screwed up by lubing this cable with silicone spray. It got a little harder to pull. Don't use any lube. The black inner liner is teflon. Also I greased the heck out of the angle turning plastic under the throttle grip in hopes of reducing fraying. My bike had very little servicing in its 7 year prior owner life and I'm paying for it now.
post #12 of 12 Old Apr 15th, 2008, 10:27 am Thread Starter

Too Late, that ship has sailed. Lubed them last night and the action seems much improved......Still a lot of spring tension. Next time I have the plastic off,...I'll look at removing one spring......do you feel like all the throttle bodies are fully returning since removing one spring?

Brian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in