New Light Truck owner: introduction - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Apr 13th, 2008, 6:56 pm Thread Starter

New Light Truck owner: introduction

I bought my 2000 LT needing a bit of TLC a few months ago. Needed a left side heated grip, both mirror mounts needed to be repaired and the windshield was pretty bad looking.

Got it all back together late last Saturday and including the April RTE,....I've logged about 7-800 miles on it in the last 7 days.

I'm surprised by many things on this bike......firstly,.....that I like it much more than I would have guessed.

I've traditionally ridden smaller sport, sport touring,or dual sport type bikes. And for years,...every time someone I knew bought an LT,....I thought,...."they will be back" (to an RT or a GS or other).

Now I own an LT.....and I am surprised that the Garden Tiller steering actually feels completely natural once the bike is moving.....anything above about 5 MPH actually. And, The 850ish pounds...doesn't seem to be an issue,....gives it a nice stable ride.

To give you an idea where I am coming from when it comes to bikes,...I thought I would include a list (at least what I could remember) of bikes that I have had.

As a kid growing up in Upstate New York Farm Country,.......My first powered bike was just that. An English bicycle with a Briggs and stratton 3 horsepower stuck into the "V" of the frame.....no brakes,..belt drive down to where the pedals used to be,....now a jack-shaft with a pulley on the left and small chain sprocket on the right....driven by bicycle chain....back to the big sprocket that used to be on the pedal crack....now on the hub of the rear wheel. It did about 40 or so and I had to drag my feet to stop it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was direct drive....no clutch,...so, I turned on the fuel,.....picked up the back of the bike by the seat and ran like hell then slammed the rear tire down....and as soon as the engine caught,....I jumped on and "wailed" on the throttle (as much as you can Wail on 3 horsepower) .

It was a complete hoot and I was the envy of all my friends. I fabbed chrome dual exhaust from the plumbing supply store in town. They swept down from the pipe fitting "T" I put into the single exhaust port at the back of the single cylinder lawn mower engine and curved backed towards the center of the rear wheel....a bit cheesey,...but when you are 13 years old.....its cool as hell.

Here is a bit of a history of bikes that I have owned since..(longish)

My first real motor cycle came in my early 40s. It was an orange
-Honda 550-Four Supersport....loved those pipes..4 pipes nested into one....pure art.

Then I bought my first BMW probably about 15 years ago

-R65; Black with white pinstripe & "Snowflake" alloys;,,I added an R90 Style Headlight/cafe fairing) ....and all the following bikes followed,...Not necessarily in the order shown.

-R1000RT with the Big honkin (Think Prince in Purple Rain) fairing,
-Yamaha Seca II (2 of those),
-R1100RS, My first serious Bike --Red, or course
-R1100GS,
-R1150GS,
-R1150GS Adventure,
-R1100S,
-R1100S Light,
-K1200RS (3 of these),
-4 or 5 R1100RT scattered throughout these other bikes,
-R1150RT (Scary brakes!!),
-R850 (a friend was selling it cheap....rode it twice and sold it),
-R1200C (What were they thinking?....better yet....what was I thinking??--another bike I rode twice and sold),
-Ducati 916,...Loved to look at it...l hated to ride it....too painful,....rode it 2 or 3 times for very short distances,
-Ducati Multistrada, After a GS,...I thought the Multi would be fun,.....but, no power under 4000 rpm, incurable front end shake on braking,....rode it 5 or 6 times and sold it,..
-Ducati 750SS never got it running,
-2002 VFR,..loved the V-Four power and sound with open pipes,....Hated the -7,000 RPM V-tech cut in and FI, RE-map,...rode it numerous times then decided to go back to an older Non-Vtec VFR and bought a......
-95 VFR,..great bike, realy enjoyed it,...but needed something bigger with bags for My "Durango Diner Green Chile burrito breakfast ride" last summer so bought a
-2005 R1200RT, Great bike,...but sold it after the trip and rode the VFR until I bought the
-2000K1200LT.

Up until buying the LT,...I had numerous opportunities to buy other LTs and always passed on them,....thinking that they were too heavy and cumbersome,...seemed like everyone I knew that bought one felt it was too big and they were thinking about going back to something like an
RT or a GS (My favorite for long distance stuff up to now)...

However, I have to say that this bike has surprised me,...frankly it doesn't feel that much more unmanageable than my Adventure or my K12RS or an RT.

Any bike will fall over if your boot slips on some sand or gravel while backing up and most bigger displacement bikes,...once they begin to fall....you better just step off it and let it go....so I dont see any difference there.

I loved the power windshield on all my RTs,...great in the rain and cold, and dug the huge fuel tank on the Adventure (8 gallons), not to mention the lower ratio first and sixth gears....they were both always too tall on my 1150GS,...you had to slip the clutch too much to launch and it couldn't hold 6 gear on anything but flat or downhills....

So Far, on the LT, Love the music which I never saw a need for until last weekend.....now.....I gotta have it.............amazing. Love the re-tuned KRS motor,...lots of torque, and this thing still flies when run to red-line. And who doesnt love a powerful smooth engine that rarely requires a valve adjustment)

I like the close ratio smooth shifting gear box (much better than an oil head gear box,..and this big boy still gets mid 40MPG (amazing)...Like the electronic cruise, heated grips and seat, and will be making the com system functional in the next week or two....so looking forward to that, and the fitted side cases and top case are beautifully built and close with such a satisfying feel.

As a guy that normally doesnt keep bikes very long,.....my longest being my 1150 GS and GS Adventures...each of which I kept for 1.5 years......I will be curious to see how long this 750LI of BMW Bikes stays with me.

(I am planning on keeping it at least until July/August when I do my Annual Durango Diner Green Chile Burrito Breakfast Ride.....and then ride on to Paonia for the Top of the Rockies Rally.......maybe a bit of Southern Utah Canyon lands thrown in.

See you on the road.
Brian in Austin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Apr 13th, 2008, 8:15 pm

Re: New Light Truck owner: introduction

Neat post, Brian. Nice review of the past, in two-wheel history. Now, all you gotta do is practice the LT secret wave. If you're in Boerne for the beeg car show next Satiday, I'll show it to ya!

Ride safe.
post #3 of 14 Old Apr 13th, 2008, 9:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwestrider
-------------------------..I will be curious to see how long this 750LI of BMW Bikes stays with me.--------------------
Nice post! I was going to point out one mistake though, it is 750iL. I have one. Then I remembered seeing a newer one a couple weeks ago, seeing that something was different, and just checked. The new ones are indeed 750Li. It is a lower case "i" though, so you were still wrong.

Now, if I can just work out another LT, I will have both of the "Big ones".

The Fat Lady really grows on you, doesn't she?

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 14 Old Apr 13th, 2008, 10:29 pm

Every one should have two Beemers, 2001 LT and 2000 540i (lower case i.)

Adversity builds character.

BMW MOA #: 115771
My rides: '01 K1200LT Black (of course)
'00 BMW 540i (also black)
'76 Toyota Landcruiser FJ40 (not black)
'06 Toyota Landcruiser (black again)
post #5 of 14 Old Apr 13th, 2008, 11:33 pm Thread Starter

You would think that after having sold those cars new for BMW of Austin for a couple of years,...that I would know better than to capitalize the i.....(and I do....it was just a typo). Actually have 3 Bmw cars in the driveway.....Two have the lower case "i".....the third has no "I' or "i" at all......its an M3 convertible.

Brian in Austin

post #6 of 14 Old Apr 13th, 2008, 11:42 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Neat post, Brian. Nice review of the past, in two-wheel history. Now, all you gotta do is practice the LT secret wave. If you're in Boerne for the beeg car show next Satiday, I'll show it to ya!

Ride safe.
Dick, what's the car show?

Brian

post #7 of 14 Old Apr 14th, 2008, 6:17 am

Quote:

Brian
Brian, nice write up and good to meet you this past weekend. Hope to see you at future RTEs.

Tell you a secrete, if you're real nice you might get to see the Goat that Dick has.

Bruce
Rowlett, TX
2010 Gold Wing
'00 Canyon Red - Sold

post #8 of 14 Old Apr 14th, 2008, 8:11 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce
Brian, nice write up and good to meet you this past weekend. Hope to see you at future RTEs.

Tell you a secrete, if you're real nice you might get to see the Goat that Dick has.
Bruce,

You had me wondering there for a minute Bruce,...."What is Dick doing with goats"....I pondered.....Perhaps I should stay clear of Boerne.....Then I "got it" ......

I've actually seen the goat,....offered to relieve him of it. No deal.....something about arm-restling his wife for it after he kicks the bucket,....that is....if she doesnt bury him in it

He has offered to show me the LT Secret Wave as a consolation (is there a handshake?).....

Brian in Austin

post #9 of 14 Old Apr 14th, 2008, 8:27 am Thread Starter

PS Here is a link to my Flickr Slideshow of pics from last summer's ride to the Top of the Rockies Rally. Steve Leslie and Sol Stavchansky came along.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wildwes...7601539153744/

Click on "View as slide show" and then you can adjust display speed in the lower left corner.

Brian

post #10 of 14 Old Apr 14th, 2008, 8:33 am

Quote:

Brian
Car show?? Unhhhh!??!

OH yeah - 'scuse! Just woke up!!

I forget what 'annual' it is, butt the South Tejas Corvette Club puts on an open car show in Boerne every April. Since they don't have enough 'Vettes to cover the plaza (they do have a bunch of 'em, tho), they do the 'open' show venue and take on any 'car show' car. Got 'em comin' from out of the area; out of state; and someone said outta the country (I assume Mexico and/or Canada). I usually put one of my cars in, just to add to the numbers, butt this year, I'm down to just the Goat. And my *friends* would give me untold grief if I got it in shape for the show and still didn't have Toad roadworthy. So, I'm just gonna spectate - with camera. Come on over. Plenty of parking area - small town show, so it's easy to cover all the sites and vendors.
post #11 of 14 Old Apr 14th, 2008, 8:49 am Thread Starter

Maybe I'll drive my 90 E30 Convertible I just finished restoring down and throw a for sale sign in the window...............

I'm down to $6900 if anyone is interested....guessing I have about $10K in it.

Brian

post #12 of 14 Old Apr 14th, 2008, 10:27 am

Quote:
You would think that after having sold those cars new for BMW of Austin for a couple of years,...that I would know better than to capitalize the i.....(and I do....it was just a typo). Actually have 3 Bmw cars in the driveway.....Two have the lower case "i".....the third has no "I' or "i" at all......its an M3 convertible.

Brian in Austin
Are we bragging or am I just really jealous?

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #13 of 14 Old Apr 14th, 2008, 11:02 am Thread Starter

YOU could be the one Bragging.......just write me a check for $14,500 (book value for a 98 M3 convertible is $17,200 for an average car....my car is pretty much immaculate) and the M3 (79,000 miles) will be sitting in your garage.

Im selling it and my 1990 E30 Convertible I just finished a very thorough restoration on ($6900,....down from $8900))

Happy to pass on the bragging rights......just so I can make my Uncle
Sam happy....(its april 15th)

Brian

post #14 of 14 Old Apr 15th, 2008, 4:48 pm

Quote:

Im selling it and my 1990 E30 Convertible I just finished a very thorough restoration on ($6900,....down from $8900))
There's an E30 on Craigslist right now. Hardtop - $18,500

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/car/643286568.html

Still Just Jerry

2005 LT "Lucky"
2003 Moto Guzzi Aluminum "The Fog"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in