Exhaust systems question. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Apr 13th, 2008, 4:27 pm Thread Starter

Exhaust systems question.

Having adopted 7 exhaust units (three '05 and newer model years) to store in my rental shed (just 5 more and I can start the 12-step program!!), I got to talking with Hank at Rhinewest about the change in construction parameters that I thought occurred in '05. He confirmed it, and wuz aware of it due to the many swap-outs he has made whereby the OEM units were exchanged for the Remus setups.

Using a dial caliper (micrometer is what I call it?), I measured the exhaust flange I.D. and O.D. of the units. All measured identical in mm. Then I measured the O.D. of each of the exhaust pipes. These pipes snake around each other before combining to go into the collector just before the O2 sensor, near the catalytic converter. There are two different measurements evident.

32.5mm O.D. for the '99 - '04 units.
34.9mm O.D. for the '05 - up units.

These measurements are as close as I can get, using well-worn eye-candy checkers!! My question to Hank wuz; why? He sez he thinks it has sumpthin' to do with the change in HP, beginning with the '05 model year; that the change for '05 and newer models resulted in freer/better exhaust flow; AND that if one were to install a larger O.D. unit on a '99 to '04 engine, and not modify the Motronic programs, the engine idle may be affected, along with some other less than desirable performance factors (likewise a performance hit with an '05 up unit, installed on a '04 or prior model). He stressed that it wuz only his opinion, and that there may be more to it than that.

Sooooo - is there??? I certainly don't wanna give/sell an exhaust unit that is not model year specific for installation. Hoping to hear from some of you mechanic/engineer types with good info. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Apr 13th, 2008, 4:42 pm
Just ridin'

Re: Exhaust systems question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Sooooo - is there??? I certainly don't wanna give/sell an exhaust unit that is not model year specific for installation. Hoping to hear from some of you mechanic/engineer types with good info. Thanks in advance.
As I understand it the '05 and later models got their horsepower from better breathing. The cam profiles were changed, the exhaust system was changed and the fuel/timing profile was changed. The peak horsepower on an '05 or later comes at a higher RPM than the earlier engines.

To answer your question, I do not believe there would any negative impact using an '05 and later exhaust on an '04 and prior bike. There might be a *slight* gain in power in the upper RPMs. The idle would not be affected since the motronic controls the idle to a specific RPM. I do not believe the back pressure would be enough different to impact the mixture.

Putting a pre '05 exhaust on an '05 or later might take a couple of horsepower away since the exhaust changes were a part of the whole package.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 Old Apr 13th, 2008, 5:02 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
As I understand it the '05 and later models got their horsepower from better breathing. The cam profiles were changed, the exhaust system was changed and the fuel/timing profile was changed. The peak horsepower on an '05 or later comes at a higher RPM than the earlier engines.

To answer your question, I do not believe there would any negative impact using an '05 and later exhaust on an '04 and prior bike. There might be a *slight* gain in power in the upper RPMs. The idle would not be affected since the motronic controls the idle to a specific RPM. I do not believe the back pressure would be enough different to impact the mixture.

Putting a pre '05 exhaust on an '05 or later might take a couple of horsepower away since the exhaust changes were a part of the whole package.
Thanks, Randy. I couldn't converse knowledgeably with Hank about this, cuz I ain't knowledgeable; butt my gut feeling wuz that if the up/down installations would cause a detrimental impact, there would have been a TSB or sumpthin' and word would've made it's way to the community.

Thanks again, Randy.

post #4 of 10 Old Apr 13th, 2008, 8:27 pm

When I put a Remus on my 05' I was very supprised at the difference in size of the inside of the pipes. Some of the headers had very thick and sloppy welds. If I was to ever put it back on I would take a small grinder and clean up the welds inside. On thing I found strange with the Remus was they were not equal length headers, just ran straight back to the collector, much better quality than stock though. I also installed his cam gears and with both the LT runs stronger!

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #5 of 10 Old Apr 13th, 2008, 8:42 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatson
When I put a Remus on my 05' I was very supprised at the difference in size of the inside of the pipes. Some of the headers had very thick and sloppy welds. If I was to ever put it back on I would take a small grinder and clean up the welds inside. On thing I found strange with the Remus was they were not equal length headers, just ran straight back to the collector, much better quality than stock though. I also installed his cam gears and with both the LT runs stronger!
Yep, Doug. You're right on the exhaust units having sloppy welds. Some sure seem like they pose an internal obstruction to a smooth exhaust flow - others seemed better, butt not perfect.

I wuz standing at the Rhinewest counter last week and had a leetle time while they cranked on the computer to pull my invoice - noticed the dyno chart of the '05 LT test they did. One stock; one with Remus and no cam sprocket; and one with sprocket and Remus. (It might have even had the two variants of the Remus cans, butt I'm not sure). At any rate, the chart/graph lines looked pretty impressive off the computer.

Those guyz are always tinkerin' with somethang related to engine mods; I think they have a chip guru that knows his stuff.

Best.
post #6 of 10 Old Apr 14th, 2008, 8:36 am

Would someone care to explain what/how a cam sprocket would change engine performance? Is it something like the Connie's variable valve timing? MG

mgbmw2002
post #7 of 10 Old Apr 14th, 2008, 8:50 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgbmw2002
Would someone care to explain what/how a cam sprocket would change engine performance? Is it something like the Connie's variable valve timing? MG
I sure can't explain it, butt click here for some info from the dudes that do it. HTH.
post #8 of 10 Old Apr 14th, 2008, 9:06 am

I put a Remus on my 02 LT at the rally last year and one thing it did was clear up a vibration I had been getting right at 4.5k rpm. It didn't do it before or after, just in that small band, but the new exhaust seemed to fix that. I also installed a new chip in the computer, but have not had the chance to give it a try yet, as I am waiting on parts for other stuff I've worked on.

Grey 14 K1600GT
Red 94 R1100RSL
post #9 of 10 Old Apr 14th, 2008, 8:40 pm

A question for those of you that have changed the chip, cam gears and/or exhaust system: What change, if any, have you noticed in your fuel economy?

Darrell

'00 BMWK1200LT
'05 Triumph Tiger
IBA #16091
BMW-MOA #125320
post #10 of 10 Old Apr 15th, 2008, 8:48 am

Can't give you an answer on that as I have yet to get it back together after changing the chip as I am waiting on other parts.

Grey 14 K1600GT
Red 94 R1100RSL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in