Redish Fluid Leak - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Apr 13th, 2008, 12:18 pm Thread Starter

Redish Fluid Leak

Some Guidence please. On a ride yesterday noticed a redish fluid leak on the front right side also blew up by the stingray all on the right side. Not sure what Im dealing with as I cant find souce of leak. Can someone give me an idea of what I'm dealing with.

Daniel Magee
2005 LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Apr 13th, 2008, 12:59 pm

Re: Redish Fluid Leak

I'm not aware of any red fluids...unless you're using some of the more "exotic" fluids somewhere. Is it oil-like? Are you finding it under the bike when parked? My hope is you got hit by somebody else's fluids, from a car/truck ahead or something along the road splashed up. Wish I could help more, but you've come to the right place to ask.

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey
post #3 of 7 Old Apr 13th, 2008, 1:23 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid
I'm not aware of any red fluids...unless you're using some of the more "exotic" fluids somewhere. Is it oil-like? Are you finding it under the bike when parked? My hope is you got hit by somebody else's fluids, from a car/truck ahead or something along the road splashed up. Wish I could help more, but you've come to the right place to ask.
No its my leak thinking it might be from the fork thats were it runs down. It still has all the OEM fluids as far as I know all work has been done by BMW dealer. Im thinking hydralic fluid if that is what they use in the front forks. I dont see much history of blown fork seals though.

post #4 of 7 Old Apr 13th, 2008, 9:50 pm

I had a fork seal leak (at 45K) some fluid after a quick slow down demo for a pillion rider. I just wiped down the fork tube area around the piston and cylinder and tie wrapped a thick paper shop towel around the fork tube just below the top adjacent to the seal. Some owners change out the seals but on my 2000 (68K) I just renew the paper towels twice a year. I'll call it an occasional weep, not really leaking.

"The idea is to die young as late as possible"

Barney Rubble (rider); Wilma Flintstone (pillion).
2000LTC CHAMPAGNE, Most prominent color at early CCR's
BMWMOA 89402
post #5 of 7 Old Apr 13th, 2008, 9:59 pm

Sounds to me like it could be transmission fluid.. Some of the synthetic stuff is red. I would bring it into my nearest dealer to check it out. I am not going to speculate as to what it is.
post #6 of 7 Old Apr 13th, 2008, 11:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbar00c
Some owners change out the seals but on my 2000 (68K) I just renew the paper towels twice a year. I'll call it an occasional weep, not really leaking.
I must be one of those other owners as I see a weeping/leaking seal as a safety hazard. It's not difficult to replace a seal either. Just time consuming to do it right. Or expensive if you have the dealer do it. But I just can't imagine the thought of putting my life (or a family member) at risk because of an improperly maintained mechanical equipment or vehicle.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
post #7 of 7 Old Apr 14th, 2008, 8:47 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Guys

I will be taking it in. I have noplace to work on the bike. Im a condo dweller they dont like underground mechanics. I will try and take off the farings to cut cost.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in