Flag Mount - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Apr 13th, 2008, 12:18 pm Thread Starter
Member
 
yeoman_kp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Clarkston, MI, USA
Posts: 61
Flag Mount

Anyone have a good idea for mounting a flag on an LT? I'm planning on going to Rolling Thunder and I thought it would be nice to wave Old Glory on the demonstration route.
yeoman_kp is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 Old Apr 13th, 2008, 12:27 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 14,435
Re: Flag Mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoman_kp
Anyone have a good idea for mounting a flag on an LT? I'm planning on going to Rolling Thunder and I thought it would be nice to wave Old Glory on the demonstration route.
The third and fourth threads listed under your post, in the 'Similar Thread' block, contain discussions from May of 2007 about the flag mounts. HTH.
Dick is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old Jul 26th, 2008, 3:45 pm
Senior Member
 
rkirker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Twinsburg, Ohio, USA
Posts: 439
Re: Flag Mount

I struggled with this for a while and this is what I came up with.
I decided to mount mine on the plastic luggage rack on the trunk.

I am worried about the plastic cracking, but I have not over torqued it and being right in the center of the rack the flag does not wip in the air flow like some others flags I have had on some bikes.

I took a Honda flat rack 8 " folding mount kit (678-010 Add on Inc. $40 at Honda Home coming) took off the square mounting bracket from the bottom and tossed it in the can, but kept the bolt.

Took off the rack flipped it over with a towel over the trunk and removed the top plastic chrome part (about a dozen screws and bolts on the bottom side of the chrome plastic)(When you put it back together you need to place it up right to get the bolts to mate with the nuts again as they are loosely fit into the chrome plastic and will not engage the bolt without gravity holding them down).

Then I put some masking tape on the chrome side and started with a 1/8 then 1/4, 3/8 drill bit from the chrome side down progressively making the hole large enough for the bolt to fit up through the bottom into the base of the pole.

The pole can be folded down when the cover is put on. Those Honda Guys thing of everything !!

Here is what it looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flag3.JPG
Views:	389
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	18849   Click image for larger version

Name:	flag1.JPG
Views:	401
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	18850   Click image for larger version

Name:	fla 1.JPG
Views:	536
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	18851  

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
2009 Honda Shadow (Wife's)
Blue & Pearl
"Well Itís not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldnít of happened."

Last edited by rkirker; Jul 26th, 2008 at 4:27 pm.
rkirker is offline  
 
post #4 of 6 Old Jul 26th, 2008, 5:01 pm
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Xenia, OH, USA
Posts: 74
Re: Flag Mount

The typical automobile window flag will fit under the top case lid. May require minor trimming of the flag mount, but the case will close and not damage anything.

Steve
04 LT
xenia is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old Jul 27th, 2008, 8:41 am
Senior Member
 
rkirker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Twinsburg, Ohio, USA
Posts: 439
Re: Flag Mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenia
The typical automobile window flag will fit under the top case lid. May require minor trimming of the flag mount, but the case will close and not damage anything.

Steve
04 LT
Steve I have done that but I don't like the looks of the setup.

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
2009 Honda Shadow (Wife's)
Blue & Pearl
"Well Itís not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldnít of happened."
rkirker is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old Jul 27th, 2008, 10:10 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter
 
LAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Harrisburg , PA, USA
Posts: 2,975
Re: Flag Mount

Nicely done. About the first thing I have seen I like. I would be a bit concerned on the plastic but I wonder if a sleeve a bit higher then the plastic would help. At least you would tighten on it, rather then the plastic, even a plastic fish hose tube or bigger would give support. Just a thought as I plot my copy kat install

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkirker
I struggled with this for a while and this is what I came up with.
I decided to mount mine on the plastic luggage rack on the trunk.

I am worried about the plastic cracking, but I have not over torqued it and being right in the center of the rack the flag does not wip in the air flow like some others flags I have had on some bikes.

I took a Honda flat rack 8 " folding mount kit (678-010 Add on Inc. $40 at Honda Home coming) took off the square mounting bracket from the bottom and tossed it in the can, but kept the bolt.

Took off the rack flipped it over with a towel over the trunk and removed the top plastic chrome part (about a dozen screws and bolts on the bottom side of the chrome plastic)(When you put it back together you need to place it up right to get the bolts to mate with the nuts again as they are loosely fit into the chrome plastic and will not engage the bolt without gravity holding them down).

Then I put some masking tape on the chrome side and started with a 1/8 then 1/4, 3/8 drill bit from the chrome side down progressively making the hole large enough for the bolt to fit up through the bottom into the base of the pole.

The pole can be folded down when the cover is put on. Those Honda Guys thing of everything !!

Here is what it looks like.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
LAF is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GPS mount photos bruce2000ltc GPS 14 Apr 9th, 2015 2:40 am
Flag Pole for the LT unleashd Other Stuff 16 Jul 21st, 2009 2:34 pm
GPS mount, easy low cost Tourdog GPS 3 Jun 23rd, 2007 1:43 pm
Flag Pole Trunk Mount type bibleman Other Stuff 8 May 9th, 2007 8:50 am
376C, 276C Marine Mount on LT jpalamaro GPS 0 Oct 9th, 2005 12:14 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome