Flag Mount - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Apr 13th, 2008, 12:18 pm Thread Starter

Flag Mount

Anyone have a good idea for mounting a flag on an LT? I'm planning on going to Rolling Thunder and I thought it would be nice to wave Old Glory on the demonstration route.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Apr 13th, 2008, 12:27 pm

Re: Flag Mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoman_kp
Anyone have a good idea for mounting a flag on an LT? I'm planning on going to Rolling Thunder and I thought it would be nice to wave Old Glory on the demonstration route.
The third and fourth threads listed under your post, in the 'Similar Thread' block, contain discussions from May of 2007 about the flag mounts. HTH.
post #3 of 6 Old Jul 26th, 2008, 3:45 pm

I struggled with this for a while and this is what I came up with.
I decided to mount mine on the plastic luggage rack on the trunk.

I am worried about the plastic cracking, but I have not over torqued it and being right in the center of the rack the flag does not wip in the air flow like some others flags I have had on some bikes.

I took a Honda flat rack 8 " folding mount kit (678-010 Add on Inc. $40 at Honda Home coming) took off the square mounting bracket from the bottom and tossed it in the can, but kept the bolt.

Took off the rack flipped it over with a towel over the trunk and removed the top plastic chrome part (about a dozen screws and bolts on the bottom side of the chrome plastic)(When you put it back together you need to place it up right to get the bolts to mate with the nuts again as they are loosely fit into the chrome plastic and will not engage the bolt without gravity holding them down).

Then I put some masking tape on the chrome side and started with a 1/8 then 1/4, 3/8 drill bit from the chrome side down progressively making the hole large enough for the bolt to fit up through the bottom into the base of the pole.

The pole can be folded down when the cover is put on. Those Honda Guys thing of everything !!

Here is what it looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flag3.JPG
Views:	389
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	18849   Click image for larger version

Name:	flag1.JPG
Views:	401
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	18850   Click image for larger version

Name:	fla 1.JPG
Views:	536
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	18851  

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
2009 Honda Shadow (Wife's)
Blue & Pearl
"Well Itís not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldnít of happened."

Last edited by rkirker; Jul 26th, 2008 at 4:27 pm.

post #4 of 6 Old Jul 26th, 2008, 5:01 pm

The typical automobile window flag will fit under the top case lid. May require minor trimming of the flag mount, but the case will close and not damage anything.

Steve
04 LT
post #5 of 6 Old Jul 27th, 2008, 8:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenia
The typical automobile window flag will fit under the top case lid. May require minor trimming of the flag mount, but the case will close and not damage anything.

Steve
04 LT
Steve I have done that but I don't like the looks of the setup.

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
2009 Honda Shadow (Wife's)
Blue & Pearl
"Well Itís not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldnít of happened."
post #6 of 6 Old Jul 27th, 2008, 10:10 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Nicely done. About the first thing I have seen I like. I would be a bit concerned on the plastic but I wonder if a sleeve a bit higher then the plastic would help. At least you would tighten on it, rather then the plastic, even a plastic fish hose tube or bigger would give support. Just a thought as I plot my copy kat install

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkirker
I struggled with this for a while and this is what I came up with.
I decided to mount mine on the plastic luggage rack on the trunk.

I am worried about the plastic cracking, but I have not over torqued it and being right in the center of the rack the flag does not wip in the air flow like some others flags I have had on some bikes.

I took a Honda flat rack 8 " folding mount kit (678-010 Add on Inc. $40 at Honda Home coming) took off the square mounting bracket from the bottom and tossed it in the can, but kept the bolt.

Took off the rack flipped it over with a towel over the trunk and removed the top plastic chrome part (about a dozen screws and bolts on the bottom side of the chrome plastic)(When you put it back together you need to place it up right to get the bolts to mate with the nuts again as they are loosely fit into the chrome plastic and will not engage the bolt without gravity holding them down).

Then I put some masking tape on the chrome side and started with a 1/8 then 1/4, 3/8 drill bit from the chrome side down progressively making the hole large enough for the bolt to fit up through the bottom into the base of the pole.

The pole can be folded down when the cover is put on. Those Honda Guys thing of everything !!

Here is what it looks like.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in