Windscreen stuck down - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Apr 13th, 2008, 10:18 am Thread Starter
Waz

Windscreen stuck down

The widncreen on my 2005 LT has stopped working and is stuck in the down position.
It seems like it may be a faulty relay or possibly motor?
Clymer advises that to get to the bolts and fixings, you need to put the screen to the highest position, and clearly you do.
Does anyone know a way of putting an electrical feed to raise the screen or altrernatively getting to the motors/relays?
Thanks
Waz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Apr 13th, 2008, 10:31 am

Re: Windscreen stuck down

Have you checked your fuses? That is a likely cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waz
The widncreen on my 2005 LT has stopped working and is stuck in the down position.
It seems like it may be a faulty relay or possibly motor?
Clymer advises that to get to the bolts and fixings, you need to put the screen to the highest position, and clearly you do.
Does anyone know a way of putting an electrical feed to raise the screen or altrernatively getting to the motors/relays?
Thanks
Waz
post #3 of 12 Old Apr 14th, 2008, 6:51 am Thread Starter
Waz

Yes,
I did this first. There are two fuses affecting the windscreen motors/relays and both are OK.
Thanks for the advikce though. Often the simplest things are overlooked, but sadly not here.
Waz

post #4 of 12 Old Apr 14th, 2008, 7:24 am

My 2005 did the same. I lightly hit the windscreen with my hand over the two bars that raise/lower it and then tried the motor. It took a couple of tries and now works fine. No idea why this worked - hope it "fixes" yours.
post #5 of 12 Old Apr 14th, 2008, 7:34 am

It may seem unlikely but I had the same problem on my '04 LT and I just use some WD40 on the bolts which were seized up ...
But I guess you already have tried it.
post #6 of 12 Old Apr 14th, 2008, 8:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonio
It may seem unlikely but I had the same problem on my '04 LT and I just use some WD40 on the bolts which were seized up ...
But I guess you already have tried it.
I had a similar sticking problem on my 02 and after a little WD-40 it was fine. Now at every fluid change, lubing all of the arm joints is part of the routine.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #7 of 12 Old Apr 14th, 2008, 9:20 am

I had the same problem about a couple of months ago. One of the replies to my post was the following:

"There are 2 grey relays under the cover on top of the dash. Remove the windshield, 4 screws. Remove 6 visible screws on the top and one behind the dash light. Reverse the relays if it goes in the direction it didn't before, get another relay. Could save hundreds!"

Bob Schrader
'00LTC
post #8 of 12 Old Apr 14th, 2008, 10:23 am

If you find that it is the relays do a search as I have posted part numbers for some after market relays that are sealed, cheap and will last forever. The OEM relays are know to be POS.

EZ-RDR55
The opinions expressed herein are mine, and do not represent that of any other humanoid past, present or future on this or any other planet.

'95 H-D FXDWG
'06 Honda CRF250X
'04 KTM 450EXC
'97 Honda XR-600R
'04 K1200LT (Sold)
'07 K1200GT (Sold)
'09 Wee-Strom DL-650ABS
post #9 of 12 Old Apr 14th, 2008, 11:17 am Thread Starter
Waz

Thanks for all your various replies. I have now gone mad with the WD40 and will leave it to soak overnight and try a bit of brute force and ignorance tomorrow.

I will certainly change the relays for non OEM if it proves one of these is faulty.

However, if the WD40 doesn't work, I may have to end up smashing the screen or boring holts in it to get to the front bolts and lower screen fixings -
hardly a BMW workshop approved procedure!!!

I might try giving my local BMW dealer a ring for advice. They are generally very helpful here in the UK, but with limited LT's about here, they are probably not so familiar with this problem. Perhaps BMW have an electrical solution?

Thanks again to all.

Waz
K1200LT 2005 Light Yellow (Sassy Babe) - bought for European Touring
K1200RS 2000 Silver/Blue - used as daily wheels
ZZR1100 1993 - old but fast - used to keep up with my son on his GXR650
post #10 of 12 Old Apr 14th, 2008, 8:02 pm

Well if you find it to be the motor, I happen to have an extra I'll part with reasonably. That is if you know how I can ship it to you without having a hassle with customs and overseas shipping and all.

B D R
post #11 of 12 Old Apr 15th, 2008, 11:01 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waz
Clymer advises that to get to the bolts and fixings, you need to put the screen to the highest position, and clearly you do....
Waz
Maybe I don't understand what you want to do, but why not just remove the windshield? Snap off the covers, and undo 4 screws. To get the dash cover off after removing its fasteners would be a exercise in frustration to be sure, but you might wiggle it up and out.

Motor On ,/'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 12 Old Apr 20th, 2008, 12:46 pm Thread Starter
Waz

Wink Re: Windscreen stuck down

Thanks again to all for your good advice. However the WD40 didn't help and so I continued to suspect the relays (or motor) as it seems from other threads the OEM relays are suspect.
My problem was that as the screen was stuck in the down position, I couldn't get to the bottom screen fixing or tupperware fixings below the screen.
Having spoken to my local dealer, he advised the only solution would be to take off the nose cone, so have spent the weekend doing this.
Positive result. The problem was a defective relay - discovered by swapping them over.
I will now obtain a good quality relay and have replaced the nose cone leaving the screen in the up position, where I can get to the relays when the two new ones arrive.
Waz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in