What should I expect to pay for a 2004 LTC - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Apr 12th, 2008, 10:35 pm Thread Starter

What should I expect to pay for a 2004 LTC

Hello to all. This is my first post. I am a prospective buyer. I have been riding motorcycles for 37 years. I have owned Japanese bikes forever, from sportbikes to my current ride, a 2000 Suzuki Intruder that I have decked out as a touring rig.

I have been looking into the BMW K 1200 LT becouse I am doing a lot more long distanct riding. I put on 10-15K miles a year and the Beemer looks to be much more comfortable in the long haul than my converted cruiser.

Anyway, I have been looking around for a used LT. They seem to be much more affordable than a used Goldwing. I have found a 2003 Model K 1200 LTC. It has 22,000 miles and seems to be in great shape. What is a reasonable price for a ride like this.

Any comments and insight would be appreciated.

Last edited by preacherbo; Apr 12th, 2008 at 10:37 pm. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Apr 13th, 2008, 2:38 am

Re: What should I expect to pay for a 2004 LTC

Check
www.kbb.com

Around $9K for 2003 model
Around $10K for 2004 model

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MattKas; Apr 13th, 2008 at 2:40 am. Reason: adding 04
post #3 of 17 Old Apr 13th, 2008, 3:47 am

I`d say that if you have patience you may get a thousand or two of. This is due to the ecomnomical crises the USA is in. And many bought bikes on the econemy hype and now have to sell to get money.

Look in areas most hit like new sub developtments.

post #4 of 17 Old Apr 13th, 2008, 7:53 am

Not to scare you away, buy many people have bought bikes with bald tires. Then they find out it will cost them upwards of $400 for new tires from a dealer. If you change your own tires you can find them a little cheaper, around 300 for ME880's. Just wanted you to know. They aren't cheap anymore. There is only about 2 or 3 options for tires that are load rated for the LT.

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #5 of 17 Old Apr 13th, 2008, 8:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by paalao
I`d say that if you have patience you may get a thousand or two of. This is due to the ecomnomical crises the USA is in. And many bought bikes on the econemy hype and now have to sell to get money.

Look in areas most hit like new sub developtments.

Who says that the US is in an "economical crisis". That is a load of crap... The only crisis is the press saying we are in crisis. Obviously in your country they are feeding you a line of bull. We are not standing in soup lines or all living in boarding houses. THAT IS JUST NOT TRUE..

That is the most rediculous thing I have ever heard. If you want to know about the economy, do the research yourself and stop spreading misinformation..

We are doing just fine over here. Just because your euro buys more then it use to doesn't mean our standard of living has changed.
post #6 of 17 Old Apr 13th, 2008, 9:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rglassma
Who says that the US is in an "economical crisis". That is a load of crap... The only crisis is the press saying we are in crisis. Obviously in your country they are feeding you a line of bull. We are not standing in soup lines or all living in boarding houses. THAT IS JUST NOT TRUE..

That is the most rediculous thing I have ever heard. If you want to know about the economy, do the research yourself and stop spreading misinformation..

We are doing just fine over here. Just because your euro buys more then it use to doesn't mean our standard of living has changed.
I certainly wouldn't call it a crisis but we are very close to the technical definition of a recession, yes it was caused by the bad lending practise in the housing market. If we do slip into a recession it is predicted to only last 3 or 4 quarters. I've also read that the slowdown in the USA could actually impact China's GDP by as much as 1%.

Our company is going to experience record inflation on raw materials this year. While we try and do everything possible to offset those costs, we can't possibly cover all of them so there will have to be price increases to the consumer.

Life is still great in the USA we haven't had to worry about high inflation for years and for those that have never gone through it is somewhat of a shock.

Now with the weak dollar exports are doing quite well.

When the USA sneezes the rest of the world catches a cold.
- Some economist

No worries here.

Dave

BMWMOA #120588
website has been hacked - down for now
Riding since '65 - 30+ bikes (lost count)
Current Stable:
'06 R12GS Adv, '98 Buell, '95 Ultra, '95 Fatboy, '71 Rickman, '53 Panhead
2009-2010 KxxxxLT or whenever BMW updates the platform

post #7 of 17 Old Apr 13th, 2008, 11:52 am

US debt clock
http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/

Renewed weakness in the US economy has hardly come as a surprise to us. It is the inexorable outgrowth of an economic recovery that has been of highly dubious quality right from the start. The US economy is plagued by an extraordinary array of growth-impairing imbalances: a record-high trade deficit, a record-high budget deficit, record-high household indebtedness, record-low national saving and asset price bubbles supporting record-high consumer spending.
http://www.dailyreckoning.co.uk/econ...my-status.html

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- A growing number of top economists believe that the U.S. economy has now toppled into recession.
http://money.cnn.com/2008/02/05/news/economy/recession/

George Bush is mired in a fiscal policy crisis worse than anyone could have envisioned when he entered the Oval Office ... This crisis is the resurgence of record federal deficits ... The deterioration of America's fiscal health cannot be blamed on ... pro-spending coalitions in the Democrat-controlled Congress -- although certainly some of the blame lies there. It is almost exclusively the creation of the Bush administration itself."
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/opinio...46_erbe13.html

Feb. 8 (Bloomberg) -- A U.S. recession is now an even bet as job losses and the housing contraction jeopardize the longest- ever expansion in consumer spending, according to a Bloomberg News survey.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...iTE&refer=home

Tent cities spring up in LA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnnOOo6tRs8

THE EMPLOYMENT SITUATION: MARCH 2008

The unemployment rate rose from 4.8 to 5.1 percent in March, and nonfarm
payroll employment continued to trend down (-80,000), the Bureau of Labor
Statistics of the U.S. Department of Labor reported today. Over the past
3 months, payroll employment has declined by 232,000. In March, employment
continued to fall in construction, manufacturing, and employment services,
while health care, food services, and mining added jobs. Average hourly
earnings rose by 5 cents, or 0.3 percent, over the month.
http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm

An Analysis of the Presidents Who Are Responsible for the Borrowing
http://www.cedarcomm.com/~stevelm1/usdebt.htm

And I could go on for pages and pages....so your econemy is good?

You all know what creditcard payments can be and how hard it may be to get out of such debt. This is what the USA have now, a huge creditcard kind a debt.

And how will they be able to pay of this debt? By raising the prices on the services given or for thos who dont understand what that means it is much higher taxes etc.

Back to the issue in hand, a bike selling for 10k in a good econemy may go for 20-30 % less in a bad econemy.

Last edited by paalao; Apr 13th, 2008 at 12:00 pm.
post #8 of 17 Old Apr 13th, 2008, 1:18 pm

Terry is asking about purchase price not the USD verse Euro. I'm sure he doesn't really care about it very much. Let the fighting stop or start another thread. Its his first post and it gets spammed with economy crap.

Welcome Terry, price doesn't really matter. Some people like the 04 because it doesn't have the power centerstand and other things that could possibly have problems. I say go buy it. If it sounds like a good deal to you.

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #9 of 17 Old Apr 13th, 2008, 1:41 pm

Stay on subject please. I found a02' LT last fall loaded 1200 miles for $10K. I thought it was a good price and it is mine now. It always comes down to how you feel about the bike and your finances. Good luck with your hunt and let us know what you end up with. Pics are a must.

BMW'S ARE THE WORST BIKE IN THE WORLD, CEPT' WHEN YOU COMPARE THEM TO EVERYTHING ELSE!
post #10 of 17 Old Apr 13th, 2008, 2:45 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Don't worry about the economic debate. I have been a member of numerous MC message boards, so I'm used to reading the various opinions of members from different locals.

The bike I'm looking at is on E-bay. I've never purchased a bike from eBay. It looks like a good deal if all the info is accurate.
post #11 of 17 Old Apr 13th, 2008, 4:40 pm

I agree, I was just responding to a certain post.

Anyway this is a bike forum and I will try to ignore other subjects.

However the point I made is a valid one.
It is a question of supply and demands and these days I think the supply is higher then the demand resulting in lower prices which is good for the buyer.
post #12 of 17 Old Apr 13th, 2008, 5:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by paalao
I agree, I was just responding to a certain post.

Anyway this is a bike forum and I will try to ignore other subjects.

However the point I made is a valid one.
It is a question of supply and demands and these days I think the supply is higher then the demand resulting in lower prices which is good for the buyer.
How does that song go? Trolling, trolling, trolling..... RAWHIDE!!! Or something like that.

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #13 of 17 Old Apr 13th, 2008, 5:42 pm

I paid $9000 for a 03 LT from the classified section of this forum. It had 19000 miles , tires with less than 2000 miles. Great bike had it shipped from Virginia to Iowa the end of Feb.
post #14 of 17 Old Apr 13th, 2008, 5:49 pm

I got a 04 LTC a year ago with 6900 miles for 11900 was asking 12500 had all service needed a ft tire. Have loved it put the new tire on and full service abs coolant the works for around 900 if memory serves me right atlanta BMW hope this helps.

Dave
post #15 of 17 Old Apr 13th, 2008, 6:09 pm

I paid $ 11500.- for my 03 LTE wuth 14k miles on it and new tyres
Exelent shape an had all the goddies except the GPS.

But due to restriction for bikes registered after 15 june 03 (in europe) I had to be picky and then this was the only available at that price.
post #16 of 17 Old Apr 13th, 2008, 6:18 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Why dont you post the add # from e-bay, and we can all have a look see?

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #17 of 17 Old Apr 14th, 2008, 6:28 am

Paid $8500 for 02 LTC in January. It was in great condition, new tires, new windshield, just serviced; love the ride. I think you are probably going to pay a little more this time of year compared to winter. My seller did not want to wait until spring.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in