Over mirror wind deflectors & a stalling? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Apr 12th, 2008, 6:41 pm Thread Starter

Over mirror wind deflectors & a stalling?

Sorry for having to ask but nothing came up in the search engine for this.

Heard some unusual vibration today and upon closer inspection found the left wind deflector over the one mirror is cracked.

How do you remove it, and what do they cost?

One other issue I seem to have is the engine stalls for the first couple of stop signs leaving the house. We got this in Nov 07, and it did it last year as well for the couple of weeks I got to ride, but I attributed that to the cold temps.
Possibly need some injector cleaner? BTW, these are all facing downhill, if that matters. After that, it runs great all day.

Now that it is finally nice out, it is still doing stalling first time out for the day. The RPM's also seem to fluctuate at traffic lights and not all the time, maybe just a bit more than 100-150 or so RPM. My hand is off the throttle, so I am positive I am not causing it. Is this a computer issue or something else?

Trying to get all the small stuff fixed before installing the shocks and other expensive items, just in case we decide it would be wiser to sell or trade the LT, than dump more money into this 99 than we already have.

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Apr 12th, 2008, 6:48 pm

Re: Over mirror wind deflectors & a stalling?

You have to take off the windshield and the cowling underneath it to get to the deflectors.

Do you hear a whooshing sound when you open the gas cap? Has the fuel filter been changed?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Apr 12th, 2008, 6:55 pm

Talking Re: Over mirror wind deflectors & a stalling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yechave

Heard some unusual vibration today and upon closer inspection found the left wind deflector over the one mirror is cracked.

One other issue I seem to have is the engine stalls for the first couple of stop signs leaving the house. We got this in Nov 07, and it did it last year as well for the couple of weeks I got to ride, but I attributed that to the cold temps.
Possibly need some injector cleaner? BTW, these are all facing downhill, if that matters. After that, it runs great all day.

Now that it is finally nice out, it is still doing stalling first time out for the day. The RPM's also seem to fluctuate at traffic lights and not all the time, maybe just a bit more than 100-150 or so RPM. My hand is off the throttle, so I am positive I am not causing it. Is this a computer issue or something else?

Trying to get all the small stuff fixed before installing the shocks and other expensive items, just in case we decide it would be wiser to sell or trade the LT, than dump more money into this 99 than we already have.

Thanks!!
Could be a intake leak, vaccum hose loose. I doubt it is injectors. Hope it isn't a expensive issue. The hard part is finding the problem, but I'd check all the clamps on the intake side I could find to make sure they are tight. Even a hose could be cracked and after it warms up it closes enough to keep it idling at a stop.

Just my .02's worth. I like to do the cheap things first!

Good luck.

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====

post #4 of 11 Old Apr 12th, 2008, 8:19 pm Thread Starter

A couple of good ideas there. I don't have much of the service history on the bike. I don't hear any noise opening the fuel cap. Bummer on the deflectors.....

Now that I think about it, I had a similar problem with the engine stalling on my 97 Ford van. Turns out, I had the PCV and hose replaced and the tech over bent the hose to install it, which put a tiny crack in the molded corner, which was just enough to cause stalling when it was cold out. Took me four months to find that.

I just built a small roofed area to be able to take the bike apart for a couple of weeks to replace the shocks, filters and check the vacuum lines etc. With all the little stuff I am finding, and damn near no money for even gas, I have been considering selling this since we got it. It looked really good and the original price seemed to be reasonable, until the first $1250 repair came the following week, then realizing it needed new shocks and other stuff.....and now all this little annoying odds and ends. It certainly is more than I bargained for.

If it were not for this forum, my SO most likely would not have bought the bike (believe it or not, it was not my idea) after having an 1100Rt for three weeks, and we certainly would not have considered keeping it or contemplating looking for another, some day.

Sure is fun to ride though!

Greatly appreciate all the helpful tips on this forum!!!
post #5 of 11 Old Apr 12th, 2008, 8:45 pm

loosen the gas cap and take it for a ride, if it does not stall out then tighten it up and try again, if there is a sucking noise when you loosen it then you either have a bad cannister, toss it, or one of your lines are pinched off under the tank.
post #6 of 11 Old Apr 13th, 2008, 8:20 am

Exclamation Re: stalling?

Wayne I hope it's a easy fix , but you can also try resetting the TPS. If no luck the FI system needs to be tested with the shop computer.
Could be a bad throttle stub rail about $650, weak fuel pump $220 or TPS switch on the throttle rail.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #7 of 11 Old Apr 13th, 2008, 9:14 am

Had stalling /stumbling this winter .Guessed it was too much short cold rides to work <5miles 9-20deg F. Changed gas stations one shot of FI cleaner and a fast ride on the HWY now no more stumbling cold weather be dammed. Here in MO we are forced fed E10 87 oct. gas the station owner says not required in >90 oct. but ,91 smells of ethanol to me .I have lost what seems to about 2MPG around town but HWY still at 49-50 two up 65-70MPH.

Bob G
post #8 of 11 Old Apr 13th, 2008, 9:32 am

Quote:

You do have to remove the winshield and the cowling underneath as Grifmeister indicated. Contact Tony (Deputy 5211) and I am sure he'll find you one.
Quote:

Thanks!!
My 99 used to do that too, despite having a new fuel filter installed as well as an air filter. It would just stall on me for no apparent reason while I got stuck in traffic. It would restart just fine. Eventually the problem went away, and I am not sure what I did...
Neither my 03 nor my 05 ever exhibited the same issue. Go figure!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #9 of 11 Old Apr 15th, 2008, 4:10 pm Thread Starter

Repair attempt? Over mirror wind deflector

I am going to try to drill a hole through the wind deflector and tap into the black section between the mirror and the windshield. I have an 8/32nd SS screw with some rubber washers. That should hold it together for the season. Is there any reason not to drill through due to wires or anything else?

I have my hands full trying to fix all the other items scheduled for as soon as I can start on this bike and do not have money for new deflectors and windshield covers.

Goes to the shop in two weeks for a computer check for the stalling problem.

Thanks in advance!
post #10 of 11 Old Apr 16th, 2008, 6:49 am

Wayne, why not just do a partial cannisterectomy and see if that cures the stalling issue , it only takes about 15 min. to do and is alot cheaper than the dealer.

Pat Rourke
White Lake,MI.
2002 K1200 LTC, Champange

post #11 of 11 Old Apr 16th, 2008, 3:04 pm Thread Starter

I just found my print out for the cansiterectomy the other day. It states you had to remove the trunk, the panel beneath it and the mud flap.

It also said "remove the hose from the canister to the intake (of what)? Take a machine screw and insert it into the end of the hose."

I took Pete's advice, contacted the dealer and he agreed to do the computer check at no cost. It has not stalled the past three days I used it, but the RPM's have fluctuated at times, the highest I've seen it go was about 1400RPM. It does this once in a while, for no apparent reason. Gas has been under half a tank.

My other thought is, is there only one gage of fuel line (US vs metric?), and what parts do I need to have before I take this apart?

My eyesight is a real handicap working on stuff these days. It took five times longer than it should have to put the screws in the wind deflectors yesterday, than had I not needed to put my glasses on and off to see what I was drilling, doing and locate the parts I dropped........

Not really knowing what holds the deflectors on, it would seem one of the attachment points is loosening inside the fairing. My temp repair will hold until I can better figure that out. We just do not have any more money to put into this bike. I have nearly $1800 in parts sitting here waiting to install. The time is NOW! Weather is great. Be a great time to do a short two day trip somewhere.

Yes, I do agree disconnecting the canister is the way to go.

Not ever having yet put this on the center stand or done any work on this due to a bad back and having lost a lot of strength, I must admit to being quite hesitant to tackle the front shock.

I will attempt the rear shock after the computer check next Tuesday.

Feel free to offer any advice directly to me at [email protected].

Greatly appreciate all the help!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in