Handle Bar Adjustment - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Dec 16th, 2005, 1:53 am Thread Starter

Handle Bar Adjustment

That ought to get a reaction from the people who say "it can't be adjusted".But--------
I need to bring the bars back 1&1/2 inches in order to have optimum comfort for my arm length. I see that the bars are large diameter at the tree and then reduce near the hand grips. The smaller diameter tube is inserted into the larger and held there by ???? It doesn't look to be a spot weld. Does anyone know if it is a pressure fit, some kind of glue or ???? I'm thinking of seperating the two tubes and installing a bridge. This would allow me to re-install the handlebar covers and only have to deal with the 1&1/2 inch gap near the controls, which should be do-able.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Dec 16th, 2005, 6:12 am

This is from the FAQ from the old web site

Is there any way to adjust the handlebars on the LT?

Yes and thanks to Vic Agresti for the following procedure: These are written for someone that has not previously worked on the bike. For others, some the early steps will be obvious.

If practical, combine this work with another project to save your labor. Donít force anything. If a piece wonít come off with a gentle tug, you probably missed a screw, or something similar. Have a feeler gage available that allows multiple thicknesses to be combined. Keep track of the screws used for each piece.

1. Set bike on center stand, point the front wheel straight ahead, and measure the distance from the floor to the top of each handle bar end. Repeat until both measurements are the same. Youíll want this later for comparison, to see how much you have raised the bars.

2. Remove front turn-signal housings.

3. Remove adjustable (swivel) ďwingletsĒ (held on via 3 screws). This will simplify fairing removal and reinstall.

4. Remove the two screws from the 4" x 6" colored plastic trim between the seat and oddments box. Slide out and remove.

5. Remove bumper guard assemblies.

6. Remove upper fairings. The middle top of each fairing has a tab (at oddments box location) that inserts straight-down into a slot along the top ridge. Lift it straight up. (On re-install, make sure this tab is properly inserted into that slot.) Also, each side has a push-fit pin into a rubber grommet where your knees go. Pull the fairing straight out to disengage pin. (To re-install, apply a small amount of grease or Vaseline on the pin, align the pin with the hole, and push it in. It wonít seat all the way in -- thatís OK.)

7. Remove screws from around the radio/CD/oddments box assembly. Slide assembly to rear several inches, being careful not to damage the wiring harnesses. (On re-install, make sure the large gasket around the fuel cap area is properly positioned, before inserting screws.)

8. Remove two screws from each handle-bar top cap trim and remove. Access is from the bottom using a small Allen wrench. Insert the long and short screws into the top caps where they came out before setting the trim aside so you donít misplace anything.

9. Remove the 4 screws from ignition key shroud plastic trim using a #3 Phillips screwdriver. (Thatís larger than normal.) Pry up gently by hand, one side first, and lift off. Turn handlebars to improve access.

10. Loosen the 4 bolts on the handlebar clamps, but not so much that the bar slips down.

11. Remove one bar clamp only. Use a dry brush to clean the grooved part of the handle bar. Apply Locktite to each bolt and reassemble. Repeat the same step on other clamp. Tighten only so much that the bar can be moved up and down, but stays in position when released. This will allow you to adjust the height to your liking.

12. Center the handlebar exactly between the clamps, using the bar grooves as markers. Otherwise, the bar top trim wonít fit properly. Sit on the bike and position the handlebars to fit YOU. Take your time and make sure it is right and that you are comfortable with the controls, mirrors, etc., at the new height. Measure distance from floor to handlebar tips and note the new height. (Simply as a point of reference, Iím 6í 4Ē and raised my handlebar tips a total of 1 ĺĒ and that seems just right for me.)

13. Slightly tighten one clamp to temporarily hold it in place, and re-check bar end height and bar-centering to make sure it didnít move. If you set the bar over a certain height [somewhere around 44" off floor], the top bar trim may not fit properly. Just to be sure, temporarily install the ignition key shroud and bar top trim before final tightening, to make sure the trim will fit.

14. According to the service manual, tighten the handlebar bolts on one clamp, using combinations of feeler gages under each side of the clamp. The goal is an almost identical gap on each side of a given clamp. Repair manual says torque these bolts to 21 nm. Repeat for the other clamp. The feeler gauge approach may sound unnecessary, but BMWís reasoning is that uneven tightening could stretch one side of a bolt more than the other side of that bolt, if the underside of a bolt head didn't contact the clamp face uniformly. This could weaken both bolts, and in a worst case scenario, lead to bolt failure. It could also weaken the aluminum clamp for the same reason.

15. Reverse from step 9 to 2 to reassemble.
post #3 of 20 Old Dec 16th, 2005, 8:34 am
Bouncer

Who needs the FAQ on the old site. The FAQ is on the new site:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/faq.php?...faq_handlebars

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 Old Dec 16th, 2005, 8:37 am

But that's just for bringing them up or down, not back.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #5 of 20 Old Dec 16th, 2005, 4:53 pm

I'd like to pull mine back about the same ammount. But, there isn't anyway to do it.

I have adjusted my handle bars so that my weight is distributed evenly across my hands. Prior to playing with the handle bars, most of my wight was on a small section of my hand, between my thumb and forfinger.

BobI'd like to pull mine back about the same amount. But, there isn't anyway to do it.

I have adjusted my handle bars so that my weight is distributed evenly across my hands. Prior to playing with the handle bars, most of my weight was on a small section of my hand, between my thumb and forefinger.

Bob
post #6 of 20 Old Dec 16th, 2005, 5:38 pm Thread Starter

Talking

"but there isn't any way to do it"
OOOOHHHHH, I just love a good challenge. If it's been built it can be changed. I'm digging out my crayons and drawing board as we speak !!
post #7 of 20 Old Dec 16th, 2005, 5:44 pm

Just don't forget throttle cables, electrical and hydraulic!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #8 of 20 Old Dec 16th, 2005, 5:47 pm

Does not count if you use the Jaws of Life Roy.
Bob
post #9 of 20 Old Dec 16th, 2005, 6:00 pm Thread Starter

Talking

Darn - all these nice tools and now you tell me I can't use them. NOT FAIR !
post #10 of 20 Old Dec 17th, 2005, 6:28 am

Piece of Cake! Just a few bits of steel tube, some zip ties, a few litres of JB weld, maybe a lick of paint, and Bobs your Aunty!!

Ya never know, Santa comes in only a few more sleeps, maybe if you have been good maybe he might drop you off a super duper set of brand spanking new handlebars fully adjustable in the full 360 degree movement!

OR

If you have been bad he might drop off an arm strecher like they used in medi-evil times and make yer arms a few inches longer!
post #11 of 20 Old Dec 17th, 2005, 9:53 am

I also need that 1 1/2 inches. (careful) I wish the seat was adjustable fore and aft like my old wing is. I have pondered this question for sometime and the only way I could see to fix it was to make a complete new set of bars and add some extensions to the lower part of the handle bar covers. My brother in-law wants to try it this winter. He has all the metalworking equipment. If we have any success I will definitely post some pics.
post #12 of 20 Old Dec 17th, 2005, 3:27 pm

Sounds like it might be easier to make your arms longer.

Adversity builds character.

BMW MOA #: 115771
My rides: '01 K1200LT Black (of course)
'00 BMW 540i (also black)
'76 Toyota Landcruiser FJ40 (not black)
'06 Toyota Landcruiser (black again)
post #13 of 20 Old Dec 17th, 2005, 3:40 pm

@dezrae
Tell me mate, are you selling that JB welding stuff or did you only stock it by the ton at home? Any thread I recently read from you, you promoted it like a dentist toothpaste . . . .

Can you fix drinks with the stuff or what?

99' K12LT champagne
80' XJ 650 red
If you don't respect yourself who else will?
post #14 of 20 Old Dec 17th, 2005, 4:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcra
@dezrae
Tell me mate, are you selling that JB welding stuff or did you only stock it by the ton at home? Any thread I recently read from you, you promoted it like a dentist toothpaste . . . .

Can you fix drinks with the stuff or what?
PCRA,
I just love JB weld. the reason being is im a technician and reapir ATM's,Poker Machines, and Office Equipment. This stuff is a god send.i can get parts repaired and back in to service quicker then getting parts shipped here.This keeps corporate customers happy. Especially this time of year when uptime is of upmost importance. :-)

Another magic product is Devcon liquid steel. awesome gear. great on metal parts, buts usually eats plastic parts. :-(
post #15 of 20 Old Dec 17th, 2005, 5:00 pm

I see, well excellent mate, a man that raves because he found something practical is more than welcome to share his knowledge.

I bought this loctite product 3450 to use on metal
http://www.loctite.be/eu/PRODUCTS/3450.htm

I wonder what you think of it?

99' K12LT champagne
80' XJ 650 red
post #16 of 20 Old Dec 18th, 2005, 6:24 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcra
I see, well excellent mate, a man that raves because he found something practical is more than welcome to share his knowledge.

I bought this loctite product 3450 to use on metal
http://www.loctite.be/eu/PRODUCTS/3450.htm

I wonder what you think of it?
I like the container it comes in, the dual syringe that puts out even amounts of the fluid.i wish i could get jb weld like that.
i suppose i could go the the chemist buy myself 2 small syringes, jb weld them together then empty each tube in to each syringe and achieve the same thing i guess.
post #17 of 20 Old Dec 18th, 2005, 7:06 am

Allright, this is the mainpage for Australia and underneath are some local shops in TOWNSVILLE that can get you the stuff.

I do not sell or promote any products, I am a chef and cook good food but this info might be usefull for someone. That is why I posted it here.

http://www.loctite.com.au/int_henkel...e_au/index.cfm

COVENTRY FASTENERS
92-94 DUCKWORTH STREET
GARBUTT TOWNSVILLE,QLD 4810
Phone: 07 4728 6633
Fax: 07 4728 6644
[email protected]

COOPER FLUID SYSTEMS
73 PILKINGTON ST
TOWNSVILLE,QLD 4810
Phone: 07 4725 4000
Fax: 07 4725 4472
[email protected]

REPCO
51-53 KEANE STREET
TOWNSVILLE,QLD 4810
Phone: 07 4775 2045
Fax: 07 4775 5349
[email protected]

99' K12LT champagne
80' XJ 650 red
post #18 of 20 Old Dec 18th, 2005, 8:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezrae
I like the container it comes in, the dual syringe that puts out even amounts of the fluid.i wish i could get jb weld like that.
i suppose i could go the the chemist buy myself 2 small syringes, jb weld them together then empty each tube in to each syringe and achieve the same thing i guess.
Hey Dezrae, man, that would have to be some gorilla of a syringe. There is nada that is syrupy about JB Weld.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #19 of 20 Old Dec 19th, 2005, 6:32 am

PCRA mentioned some places in townsville as where to buy some of the loctite stuff.
In fact, i drave past Covenetry Fastners *EVERY DAY* there are right on the corner of the block where our workshop is.
Cooper Fluid systems is about 500 meters from our workshop and i drive pass there regularly daily.
Repco is about 1 kilometer from our workshop and i drive past it daily as well.
You forgot to mention SKF bearings and CBC was well, there about 700 meters from our workshop.(SKF AND CBC on Pilkington Street) our workshop is smack bang in the middle of a industrial area with all sorts of shops like this only a stone throw away from our front door.
Before i go using any loctite product, i got to use the 7 bazallion tubes of JB weld i bought from kmart.

grifscoots said the syringe would have to be a gorillia type for jb weld to be used in it.
i wouldnt imagine a syringe having much difficulty feeding jb weld thru it.
i can shove grease in a syringe and it feeds thru a syringe ok, i bet jb weld would go no worries.
post #20 of 20 Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 1:28 pm Thread Starter

Smile

Project completed !! I got 1 & 1/2 inches of extension without compromising the wiring or cables although I think that is the maximum. It makes a dramatic improvement for us "arm-length challenged" riders. I took photo's as I did the project and as soon as I get some "extra time" (read - when people quit torching their houses with dry Christmas trees) I will post them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in