Anti-knock sensor...I'm confused - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Apr 12th, 2008, 10:58 am Thread Starter

Anti-knock sensor...I'm confused

I was perusing a thread from last summer and this was a statement apparently from BMW:

"BMW says:
An important part of the BMW-K engine-management system is an integrated anti-knock system, which allows the engine to use a very high (13.0:1) compression ratio for optimum combustion efficiency without the worry of damaging detonation. Two sensors - one positioned between cylinders 1 and 2, the other between 3 and 4 -- detect knock and cause the BMS-K computer to retard ignition timing. As a result, this high-output engine can be run on a variety of fuels without damage; the main difference is the power output, which is greater with high-octane fuel."

I've read various posts stating the LT DOES NOT have knock detect sensors and I can't find anything in Clymers indicating they do have such sensors. Can someone clarify this for me and others that are interested. Thanks!!

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Apr 12th, 2008, 11:19 am
Just ridin'

Re: Anti-knock sensor...I'm confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid
I was perusing a thread from last summer and this was a statement apparently from BMW:

"BMW says:
An important part of the BMW-K engine-management system is an integrated anti-knock system, which allows the engine to use a very high (13.0:1) compression ratio for optimum combustion efficiency without the worry of damaging detonation. Two sensors - one positioned between cylinders 1 and 2, the other between 3 and 4 -- detect knock and cause the BMS-K computer to retard ignition timing. As a result, this high-output engine can be run on a variety of fuels without damage; the main difference is the power output, which is greater with high-octane fuel."

I've read various posts stating the LT DOES NOT have knock detect sensors and I can't find anything in Clymers indicating they do have such sensors. Can someone clarify this for me and others that are interested. Thanks!!
The anti-knock sensor was introduced with the BMS-K engine management controller. This is for the new 55-degree engine used in the K1200R, S, GT and R-Sport. It is also used in the new generation 1200CC Boxers. The LT uses the older Motronic controller and does not have the sensor.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 Old Apr 12th, 2008, 11:31 am Thread Starter

Re: Anti-knock sensor...I'm confused

Thanks for the clarification, Randy. I was reviewing the fuel/octane threads. Too much snow on the roads to ride, so I'm riding vicariously through the site!!

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in