adding XM or zumo/XM to LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Apr 12th, 2008, 8:51 am Thread Starter

adding XM or zumo/XM to LT

I dont own one yet but hopefully will soon have a 99-2003 LT and the firs thing I will want is XM radio. I had a zumo 550 and XM radio on my old RT and loved it and I listened through earbuds. I would be looking at either a XM standalone unit or another zumo and XM combo to add. Is it possible to have either one wired into the speakers and not use a FM modulator on this bike? Can it be set up to be able to have it play through the speakers at times and then go to earbuds for longer rides? Earbuds were a pain for short trips in town bu were great for longer day rides and overnight trips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Apr 12th, 2008, 8:57 am

Re: adding XM or zumo/XM to LT

I have used a Pioneer INNO on my 1999 LT. I listen to it through the speakers using the adapter that fits into the tape deck.
post #3 of 8 Old Apr 12th, 2008, 10:12 am

The newer LTs don't have a cassette player. I recently got a 2370 Garmin that has GPS, XM, and an MP3 player. I just ordered everything I need for installation. I don't have an input jack on my bike so I ordered a wire that plugs into the back of the stereo and comes out into a female 3.5 mm jack that I can plug directly into. I ordered it from Bavarian Auto (bavauto.com) part# 82-11-0-149-389. I got all of my information off of this site by searching and from help from my LT brothers. Good luck

Diehly

Poke it through, tuck and roll

post #4 of 8 Old Apr 12th, 2008, 11:12 am
Super Moderator

I had XM on my LT and loved it. I had the factory comm system and used an inline FM modulator to pipe the signal in over the radio. Worked like a charm all the time. I'm not sure if that would be possible w th the Zumo/XM setup since the audio out is different, but I'm you can get soemthing working. I just installed that setup on my GT using a J&M Integratr IV and it works great.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old Apr 12th, 2008, 3:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehly
The newer LTs don't have a cassette player. I recently got a 2370 Garmin that has GPS, XM, and an MP3 player. I just ordered everything I need for installation. I don't have an input jack on my bike so I ordered a wire that plugs into the back of the stereo and comes out into a female 3.5 mm jack that I can plug directly into.

I did this also with my 2730, but be aware. Your maximum volume is significantly reduced when you connect your GPS into this set up. Can't hear mine at highway speed anymore with my helmet on. There is info on here somewhere to add an amplifier to boost up the volume. I just ended up using the modulator, less hassle after I went through all the work of removing the stingray, buying that cable and installing all of it.
post #6 of 8 Old Apr 12th, 2008, 3:55 pm

I have a Delphi Xpress XM, with the Direct FM Adaptor. This plugs into the FM Antenna connector, and filters out all other FM interferance. Works like a charm (on my car, doing the same on the LT).

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #7 of 8 Old Apr 12th, 2008, 8:47 pm

I just bought a Zumo 550 for my new (to me) 2002 LT. I have the CD Player with factory comm and CB.

When pressing the */CD button enough times I get "Auxiliary" displayed. Does this mean that I have an input on the back of my factory stereo that will allow me to listen to the Zumo/mp3/XM through the speakers as well as the intercom?

Thanks for your patience with a BMW newbie.

Glenn
post #8 of 8 Old Apr 12th, 2008, 10:45 pm

I have my XM mounted on BMR's 'Trivet' and use the cassette adaptor. I love it. I just mounted the Zumo and send it into my Autocom (gave up on fixing that nasty Com 1 system). It works great. I plan to order the Garmin 'XM Antenna' to gain the touch screen operation for XM instead of trying to use the tiny buttons on my current XM unit with my gloves on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in