Deciding between R1150RT and K1200LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Apr 12th, 2008, 12:19 am Thread Starter

Question Deciding between R1150RT and K1200LT

Well, I am closer to buying a bike. I am trying to decide between the R1150Rt and a K1200LT, used either way. To give you my background I have owned 2 R1100RT's, a K1200RS, a 2003 K1200GT and a 200 K1200LT. I am somewhat familiar with BMW's to say the least. I was all set and determined to buy another LT. I loved my 2000 and its as close to the, "perfect bike" as I have ever been able to find. Reading here the clutch and final drive issues are making me reconsider the R1150RT. I had a 97 R1100RT that ws nice and I put a Zumo 550 on with XM satelite and listened through earbuds. Awesome setup but I disliked the cable actualed clutch, the cluncky 5 speed tranny, need to high rev, poor gear ratios and some low speed surging. I started to reconsider the RT as I would be buying a 1150 RT that has the hydraulic clutch, 6 speed tranny, updated fuel injection. Can anyone give me some feedback as I have never ridden a 1150RT? If I were to go with the LT, what ways can I wire in a Zumo with XM? Can I have it go through the speakers when I want and then go to the earbuds for trips? Should I really be concerned about the issues on clutch and final drive? Is there a preffered mileage to stay within? Any years to stay away from? I think I dont want a 99 since they didnt come with the skidplate. My riding type is mixed as I do short trips to work and medium trips on weekends and on an occasion will go on multi day/nigh long trips. Any feedback is appreciated as I am probably going to be buying in the next week or two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Apr 12th, 2008, 6:28 am

Re: Deciding between R1150RT and K1200LT

I have read about the clutch and FD issues are a concern for all the BMW's(that use them). Maybe more so on the LT. You can't go wrong no matter which you choose. But be warned, This is the LT section and we are partial to the model.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMW'S ARE THE WORST BIKE IN THE WORLD, CEPT' WHEN YOU COMPARE THEM TO EVERYTHING ELSE!
post #3 of 10 Old Apr 12th, 2008, 7:02 am

The fact of the matter is, 97% of all LT owners do not have problems with their final drives. Everyone talks about the 3 - 4 percent. No one talks about the 97%.. The majority of the problems are prior to '03 ...

Getting back to your question, the best RT out there is the '05 - '08.. It is the smoothest, most powerful, and best performing.. If you are seriously considering an RT, why go with an 1150. Why not consider an '05 1200? It has the best of all worlds. Plus, it is only 1 model year past the 1150.

The slave cylinder failure has much to do with seals, as does the rear main seal failure. When the oil leaks into the clutch area from either of these locations, it causes contamination. You can check the bike out and/or have a mechanic inspect it prior to agreeing to purchase it first.

As I have mentioned in previous posts, these bikes do not like to sit. It is bad for the seals. So, if you are considering an older LT with very low mileage, I wouldn't. You may be asking for trouble. If you are considering a bike that has been ridden since it's purchase with good service records, etc. (an extended warranty is better yet), that would be a better option.

There are many threads on the forum about how to check a bike for potential final drive failures, inspection for leakage, clutch wear, contamination, etc...

Use this information and common sense, and I bet you will make a good decision. If the bike has manufacturer's warranty left, better yet. Then you can buy an extended warranty and safeguard yourself for a number of years in the future.

If you feel iffy about a bike, just pass... There are plenty of them out there.

post #4 of 10 Old Apr 12th, 2008, 7:45 am

Can't believe you got rid of the "03"GT. That was the best bike to date I have ever had the pleasure of owning and riding. But as for your decision between the 1150 and the LT, I'd have to say the new GT.....

R1200GSA

K1200LTC
Tony Quick
Sanford, NC
post #5 of 10 Old Apr 12th, 2008, 8:16 am

If you do any two up riding, then as to my experience... the LT.

The throne on the LT makes all women feel like they are a princess and everyone else is below them.

For touring the LT is perfect, though it could use more ground clearance.

If I were getting it for sport touring... I'd get a '98-2001 Honda VFR and put bags on it...

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #6 of 10 Old Apr 12th, 2008, 8:40 am

Garage

Your decision should not be based on your ability avoid low-percentage potential problems, it should be based on your enjoyment of that model when it is functioning as designed.

Select the brand and mode that brings the biggest grin to your face.

Deal with any problems if and when they arise, but don't ride with a feeling of dread that something might happen.
post #7 of 10 Old Apr 12th, 2008, 8:41 am Thread Starter

I am sorry but I should have made a few other things clear. My budget is 10k and I am trying to stay closer to 9k. I dont ride 2 up ever, it will all be solo riding. I loved my 2000LT and I had no gripes other than shrt trips around town on a hot day it seemed like alot of bike to carry around. The RT's have always been easier to handle and was a good combination of agility and long trip companion. If the final drive isssues and the clutch arent as bad of an issue as it is displayed here then I may just go for the LT. Thtas been my main reason for reconsidering an RT. I do plan on a few multi thousand mile trips and the electronic cruise os awesome. One other thing that I like about the LT is it doesnt need to sit at really hogh revs. My riding style has changed to more cruising and not needing to rush into turns fast. I have a 3 year old and had to change my aggresive riding style to be more responsible. The LT's motor just lets you cruise at any speed but still has plenty of handling if needed. I fI do ge an LT chances are in my price range it will be a 99-2002 unit and with around 30-50k miles on it from what I am seeeing. Where are the articles on looking for possible final drive failures on a unit?
post #8 of 10 Old Apr 12th, 2008, 9:11 am

I currently own an 03 LT.
Previously, I owned a 2000 R1100RT.
Before that... an '85 K100RT for 17 years.
Before that... a 1974 Norton Comando (purchased new, still have it)

I absolutely loved the handling of the RT... Amaizing.
What I didn't like was that it is air cooled.
I would sit in traffic and watch the oil temp gage climb and go nuts.
It also was not so comfortable for my wife.

I kept it for 2 years and bought and LT.
My wife thinks it is the most comfortable bike she has ever been on.
(I / we have been riding 2 up for almost 30 years)

For 2 up, the LT wins hands down.
For 1 up, it is a closer battle.
I have recently mentioned to my wife if she ever decided to not take longer rides I might go back to the boxer.

LT is heavy, you almost need a crane to get it up on the center stand.
Once it is roling, it is great. Maintainance is more involved, i.e. valve adjustment. I take it to the dealer for that.
The LT has all the trinkets. The RxxRT doesn't.

R1100RT is about 200 lbs lighter. Feels 400 lbs lighter.
Handling is unbeatable. Can put it on the center stand with the leverage from your big toe. With a "throttle body balancer" you can do virtually all the routing maintainance on it.
The boxer is a more basic "Gentlemens" bike.

I like the LT.
I miss the R1100RT.

So far... no final drive issues for me.

Last edited by davek1; Apr 12th, 2008 at 9:16 am.
post #9 of 10 Old Apr 12th, 2008, 10:17 am Thread Starter

after owning both I agree and since I only ride solo, it makes it a otugh choice but I would be buying a 1150rt that has some of the gripes of my 1100 fixed and it looks the nicer as well with that new headlight.
post #10 of 10 Old Apr 12th, 2008, 3:01 pm

Quote:
My budget is 10k and I am trying to stay closer to 9k. I dont ride 2 up ever, it will all be solo riding...

That being said!!!

I would look at a retired BMW Police bike, personally.
There was one in Atlanta for sale last year.
Can you imagine all the people who would get out of your way and let you pass?

It would already have enough power wires and outlets for every farkle you would ever want.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in