Derrrropped! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Apr 9th, 2008, 9:30 pm Thread Starter

Derrrropped!

I am now a member of the "yeah, I've dropped my LT" club.

I cruised up to the top of my drive this morning, and let the front wheel turn too much to the left, applied too much front brake (I think), and lost my footing.

Man... Happened so fast, I couldn't stop it. I ended up half hopping off and landed in a bush surrounded by small rocks - my Joe Rocket jacket saved me some bumps & bruises for sure.

No damage, except to the skid guards that are designed for this eventuality. Oh, and my wrist hurts too, from trying to restrain the big girl from her fall. I reckon its just a minor sprain.

To add insult to injury, my wife and daughter had to help me lift it. Otherwise, I would have been helpless, and late for work. Ugh!

Oh well, could have been worse.

2005 Kawasaki Z750S
1999 BMW K1200LT
1972 Honda CL350

BMWMOA # 139202
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Apr 9th, 2008, 9:52 pm

Re: Derrrropped!

Well, now that you have that over, mark that a "lesson learned", get back in the saddle and don't worry about it. Glad it worked out OK.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old Apr 9th, 2008, 11:06 pm

Well many of us have "been there done that". Glad to hear that the only thing hurt may have been your pride!

post #4 of 14 Old Apr 9th, 2008, 11:57 pm
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Welcome to the club

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #5 of 14 Old Apr 9th, 2008, 11:59 pm

I feel better since I dropped mine. Now it is no longer looming over me

post #6 of 14 Old Apr 10th, 2008, 12:17 am
Super Moderator

Been there done that and who's counting!!

I would say in the future:

1. Do not fight it

2. Think about escaping - get off, roll off, get away, or let is drop between your legs

3. If your significant is on the back instruct them quickly - yell to step off

Last thing you want to do is get your legs trapped below / under - there are several members who have and over 800#'s is unforgiving!!

Oh yea welcome to the club!! Safe landing!!

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #7 of 14 Old Apr 10th, 2008, 1:38 am
KIC

Welcome to the club. There are three types of LT owners, those who have, those who will, and those who lie about it.

Just remember to yell "bombs away !" next time. Anybody watching will then think you did it on purpose.

PROUD FATHER OF A MILITARY DAUGHTER !.
She's for sale
SOLD 7-19-08 [url]

There are those who ride BMW's.. and those who wish they did.

Ron's R11/1 Vergasser's - 1st Wingman

Sophmore : BMWLT - University of Luxury Touring Education

2000 K1200LTC Champagne SOLD 7-08
2006 KLR 650 - RED- The fast dual sport color !
2002 TW 200 - White/Blue - #1,The wife's CRF replacement.
2002 TW 200 - WhiteBlue - #2, My matching toy
2001 XT 225 - White/Blue - Sold 7/08
92 K75S Red and fast (sadly gone)

Yamaha YZ 250 for the dirt ( still good use for a smokin' 2-stroke !) In critical care 4/08
Honda CRF 230F - Wifey's dirt fun. (Sold)
Many Honda 750 F's (May they Rest In Peace)
post #8 of 14 Old Apr 10th, 2008, 9:37 am

I dropped mine almost two years ago after coming back from a rally with five friends. We all pulled into the gas station and I was slowly circling around to an empty pump and I used my front brake with the wheel turned. I just set her down in front of all my friends. Nothing hurt except my pride but when that came to help me right her, I made them wait and I tried myself. Well, lets just say I am glad I had my friends with me.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #9 of 14 Old Apr 10th, 2008, 12:11 pm
Mister Moto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briantime
I feel better since I dropped mine. Now it is no longer looming over me
Right you are on that one!

I was practicing this weekend on my "Ride Like a Pro" tight circles, managed to get them down under 24' and felt pretty comfortable doing that both right and left, so I went tighter towards full lock. I was moving too slow I guess and "Shamu" was beached in a flash! It happened so fast I had no time to think about it (or pull a muscle)...I found myself just standing there looking down thinking...now that's wasn't so bad, was it?

There were slight scuffs on the crash bar and on the rubber trim I had installed on the side case chrome. What I didn't notice until last night was that I had bent the shifter up against the side panel and it was rubbing now. I found this out at a stoplight when I couldn't shift down from 4th gear!

So I guess I'll be taking it apart tonight to check the shift linkage. Is it possible I could have bent something in there by dropping it?

>K-daug

aka: studio4design
'06 LT "Shamu"

post #10 of 14 Old Apr 10th, 2008, 2:12 pm

Welcome
From a 3 time member

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
2009 Honda Shadow (Wife's)
Blue & Pearl
"Well It’s not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldn’t of happened."
post #11 of 14 Old Apr 10th, 2008, 6:32 pm

Re: Derrrropped! Thanks God I Watched the Video

Well, I joined the club today after my 3 ride of owning the LT. You really have to watch that you are going straight & use the rear brake.
But picking her, I managed to get it done. I am glad I had watched the Video about how to pick up your LT..a couple of try's & I did it.
Thanks for the enlightenment...

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2016 R1200RT LC Purchase March
2003 R1150GSA Black Beast (purchased Nov 2011- 32,372klms)
2006 K1200LT Grey
(Purchased 2008, 7,350 mls) Trade in on 2016 RT at 80,600miles
1975 Norton John Player Replica (Sold When I got Married)
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750
1971 Triumph Trail Blazer(Rode from London to Sydney Aust, no maps for that)

post #12 of 14 Old Apr 10th, 2008, 6:44 pm

Dropped mine last summer in South Dakota after 14 hours on the bike. Turning around on a one lane road at 11:00 pm. No excuse. I could have been fresh as a daisy, and it still would have gone down. I had thought before it happened, that it would not happen to me. I'm 6'5'', 235, pretty fit. No way will I let it go down.
When it starts to go, get out of the way. Pretty quick, and very heavy..

I can only hope it's a while before I do it again..

Jeff

08 R1200GSA
04 K12LT (Sold)
97 R1100GS (Sold)
SS1000--IB # 32778

post #13 of 14 Old Apr 10th, 2008, 8:05 pm Thread Starter

You guys are great! Seems like we've got a shared sense of past pain.

On the whole, I'm glad I've got it behind me. I rode the thing to work as soon as we got it up.

Another drop is probably inevitable, but man, I hope I dont ever have to lift it all by myself...

2005 Kawasaki Z750S
1999 BMW K1200LT
1972 Honda CL350

BMWMOA # 139202
post #14 of 14 Old Apr 10th, 2008, 9:48 pm

Having gone through this traumatically three times in the space of a day (my experience is somewhere here on the forum) a year ago and then belatedly reading of others' experiences here since then, I'd offer a countervalent thought:

In all the narratives I've read on this forum, the greatest damage has been to(l) the expendable rubber case guards (2) the chrome trim on the bags of those who have LT-Cs; and (3) above all else, our dignity as "experienced riders.

Here in El Paso, we've had a rash of motorcycle fatalities; as a retired general, I get daily reports on motorcycle fatalities within the Army community, numbers growing so significantly that they warranted coverage by the Army Times.

"I complained that I had no shoes until I met a person who had no feet."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in