LT windshield clips - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Apr 9th, 2008, 9:13 pm Thread Starter

LT windshield clips

I had the windshield replaced by the dealer when we got it in Dec of 07. It is a 99, so no idea how many times it may have been on and off. I was putting the cover on this evening and noticed the one plastic cover clanking when I touched it. It took very little effort to just pull it off. Nothing appears to be wrong with the plastic cover. My guess is either the SS spring clip deal was over torqued and/or bent out of shape. The other side does not want to come off, and I have not had time to review the posts to see how it is supposed to come off. I thought I read you push the plastic together and push up....?

Do I try to pry this apart, put some rubber tape on and use it, or just buy new ones, and if so, do I need new screws, loctite or anything else?

Thanks!

We had two riders go down this afternoon, so it's been very hectic getting the bikes back, repaired and drive everyone home. One was my SO, who is 60 yrs young and just got her license last Nov, and it was her second day on the road driving any bike. They both hit some stones on an intersection, and it was all over. My brother who has been riding for a very long time was behind her, and he went down as well. A few hundred in damages to the bikes, some bruises to both riders, but the safety gear did it's job, and looks like everyone should be ok.

The down side to any of this was our Cardo team rider COM system did not work again. Now have to send the units back to see what is up with that. The company came out with a new Q2 set, cost about $200 each, and you can use up to four in parallel. Sure would have been nice to communicate when we really needed it today.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Apr 9th, 2008, 9:28 pm

Re: LT windshield clips

I have a similar issue with one of mine.. I took the windshield off to install my HID and noticed notches on the edge of the plastic where the metal clip grips. On one side I have a broken notch. I check online and they are between $17-27 with the chrome being the more expensive option.

Jerry,

2002 LT -[MidLife]
post #3 of 6 Old Apr 10th, 2008, 8:32 am

I recently replaced the windscreen on my LT and found that the covers are on pretty tight but come off pretty easy with a small screwdriver. Carefully pry up from the inside of the cover. Be careful not to scratch the windscreen.

If it is loose, you can simply bend the clip slightly to tighten up the cover. Use a small pair of needlenose pliers to spread the clip out. It won't take much. Then snap the chrome cover back on.

Bob
Woodstock, GA
'05 LT
'0F FLHTCI
'02 ZRX1200R

post #4 of 6 Old Apr 10th, 2008, 9:14 am Thread Starter

After more careful inspection this am, the attachment points inside the plastic are broken, one on each side on one cover. I did not get the second cover off, no need to look for more problems.

I used some rubber stretch n' seal plumbers tape to wrap the SS supports, popped the plastic covers on - which prevents any vibration, then used electrical tape - under the SS clip and around the covers in two spots, on both covers. Looks good. Just have to see how that holds up under the sunlight. Sure not going anywhere.

BTW, there is a good link on the BMR products site on how to properly remove the covers, which I think is listed under their co pilot shelf install.
post #5 of 6 Old Apr 10th, 2008, 9:35 am

The metal brackets on front of windshield have two flanges on each side... one is "curved". Simply push in on them. That will cause them to move "outward" and hold the trim piece tighter.

Be careful to put your other hand behind the windshield for backup pressure as you make the "forming adjustment".

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 Old Apr 11th, 2008, 12:30 am

I just removed my windshield, soaked it in the bath tub, and shined it up.

ANyone got a guess on how many different ways there are to mount the steel brackets to the windshield and how many different ways to try and put the plastic covers back on?

Too many during the peak of allergy season here! AND, with the wind blowing up clouds of dust to boot.

Yup. First they were on the wrong side. And then they were up side down.

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in