New Victory - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Apr 9th, 2008, 10:47 am Thread Starter

New Victory

Has anyone seen the new victory? If that is not a copy of the LT, I don't know what is. The body design is very much like the LT. I didn't get into the specifics but I am sure you can find them on there website. This just goes to show you that the body design on the LT is really something special.

I have been going back and forth with a Harley guy at work for months now about the sleekness of the LT. He favors old school.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Apr 9th, 2008, 11:05 am

Re: New Victory

Not sure it's a copy but has similar lines. The Vision seemed HUGE sitting on it! I have yet to ride one. The 03 Victory Vegas I owned was the best fit and finish of ANY bike I have owned to date. I think I will hold on to my LT for a while. It prob is not the "best" in any catagory but does it all together very well. The LT might be the "Best" in mpg in it's class.

1985 K100RT 90k
1981 R100RT 56k miles Sold
2000 K1200LT 48k miles Sold
2003 Victory Vegas-12k miles Sold
1982 Suzuki GS550L only 299 miles Sold
1997 Yamaha Vmax-15k miles Sold
1996 Suzuki DR650-17k miles Sold
1996 R1100RT-27k miles Sold
1995 K1100LT-85k miles Sold
1982 Honda CB900F-33k mikes Sold
BMWMOA 138762[/I]
post #3 of 19 Old Apr 9th, 2008, 6:16 pm

Hope they didn't copy the FD or location of the clutch slave relative to the clutch

post #4 of 19 Old Apr 10th, 2008, 7:18 am

I rode it and my wife and I loved it. I still bought a RT thinking it would be sporty enough to keep me happy and comfy enough for 2-up. I love commuting on the RT by myself, not near as much w/ wife... I don't think there is another bike that gives so much room for 2-up riding...
post #5 of 19 Old Apr 10th, 2008, 8:13 am

If I'm not mistaken, one of the Vision designers used to be on the BMW LT team. So it would be no surprise that it favors the LT. I agree that it has several cues from the LT.

Randy
post #6 of 19 Old Apr 10th, 2008, 8:25 am

The pictures I have seen the most of the new Victory looks to be Canyon Red like my LT. It really looks like a family member for mine anyway.
post #7 of 19 Old Apr 10th, 2008, 10:23 am

I looked at it and rode it at Daytona, there were things about it that were nice, the fairing does a good job of keeping the wind off and the one I rode had the lower wind wings, when they were closed (turned out) the engine heat was VERY noticeable. Open them and they deflected enough wind to take that away.

The controls, especially the radio/stereo controls look cheap and added on and are difficult to work if moving, if you are wearing gloves it really is bad.
On the positive the motor delivers good power for a V-Twin and it's delivery is much smoother than my Harley I ran it down to 1300 or so in 6th gear and it would cruise along fine not bucking or laboring, I did not try to accelerate from that RPM in 6th cause well not even I put them in that much strain. The rider/handlebar relationship is good and the seat was comfortable although I was only on it for a half hour or so, the floorboard position is very much like a Harley as is the shifter and brake pedal, other than the radio controls everything else was pretty good. The luggage on this bike is TERRIBLE the saddlebags are small even though they look huge! The trunk is oddly shaped but large enough to get helmets as well as some gloves in. With so much planning and forethought to a different bike with a totally different appearance having overlooked the luggage the way they did is almost inexcusable.

My overall impression from the ride was good, I would purchase one but not a new one and especially at the prices they are demanding now but given a little time that will change. The drawback to owning one of these for me would be that it would require me to tow a trailer when taking trips there is just not enough luggage room with the goofy saddlebags to go for more than a weekend with a passenger/wife but I sometimes do tow a trailer now so I guess that would not be such an inconvenience.

If you have a chance take one for a ride I think you will find it to be OK but for me it certainly does not mimick the appearance of the LT nor would I consider replacing my LT with one, however there is the Harley!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 19 Old Apr 10th, 2008, 11:15 am

The old story with bikes. You get a good looking one or a practical one.
The K1200lt is the exception to the rule.
That Victory looks the business, but the carrying capacity looks a joke!

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 19 Old Apr 11th, 2008, 12:23 am

OK.

I give up.

What is a Victory?

Since I'm not in the market for a new bike, I don't pay attention to any bikes.

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #10 of 19 Old Apr 11th, 2008, 12:27 am

look up "victory vision" . I think I will stick to the LT.
post #11 of 19 Old Apr 11th, 2008, 7:06 am

Does it have a lower seat then the LT?

BMW'S ARE THE WORST BIKE IN THE WORLD, CEPT' WHEN YOU COMPARE THEM TO EVERYTHING ELSE!
post #12 of 19 Old Apr 11th, 2008, 7:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
OK.

I give up.

What is a Victory?
"Victory" is a manufacturer. Mostly cruisers, but now they have some resemblance of a long-distance tourer called the "Vision". You'll either love it, or hate it, I guess. I think it looks kinda like a Jetson's mobile, if you could ride a bike in space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
Since I'm not in the market for a new bike, I don't pay attention to any bikes.
Smart man.
post #13 of 19 Old Apr 11th, 2008, 8:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by OU812
Does it have a lower seat then the LT?
Much lower -- it's listed at 26.5 inches...I would be dragging my knees on it.

Duane
Mag Black 2006 LT

Three loves - motorcycles, good wine, and contrabassoon...none of which mix. Engineer by day to pay for them all.
post #14 of 19 Old Apr 11th, 2008, 8:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
"Victory" is a manufacturer. Mostly cruisers, but now they have some resemblance of a long-distance tourer called the "Vision". You'll either love it, or hate it, I guess. I think it looks kinda like a Jetson's mobile, if you could ride a bike in space.

Smart man.
HEY! That's why I bought the LT..... I think it looks like the bike George Jetson would ride.

Randy
post #15 of 19 Old Apr 11th, 2008, 8:14 am Thread Starter

I started this thread just to show the similarity in design. I would much rather have my LT. What I was trying to point out is that the designer used some of the LT sleekness in this ride. In my humble opinion, if you take away the pointed back end on the luggage, It would really resemble the LT. I find it peculiar that a company that went after Harley designs in the past has now copied a BMW.
post #16 of 19 Old Apr 11th, 2008, 12:49 pm

I don't think it looks like an LT, I don't like the looks at all.
The back looks like a scooter.
The front looks Japanese.
The middle looks like it will roast your chestnuts on an open fire.
But hey, to each there own.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #17 of 19 Old Apr 11th, 2008, 1:29 pm

I think the front looks more like a new style RT (from the side) than an LT. I think that the designers went home one night and the janitor finished the design. From the front it looks like Chukko the clown!

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #18 of 19 Old Apr 11th, 2008, 7:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatson
I think the front looks more like a new style RT (from the side) than an LT. I think that the designers went home one night and the janitor finished the design. From the front it looks like Chukko the clown!

+1

Scott
Shingle Springs + Redwood City Ca

2008 K1200LT Black, (Big Black Whale)
2008 DRZ400SM white (Thumpers) wife's
1975 GL1000, Red #18406 (Lazarus)
1994 Quarter Horse, Brown, #3292487(Gaucho)
post #19 of 19 Old Apr 11th, 2008, 9:02 pm

Doesn't look like my LT.
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in