RhineWest performance chip - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Apr 9th, 2008, 2:37 am Thread Starter

RhineWest performance chip

Has anybody bought and used one of these chips? What kind of results did you get?

Well, when I posted a little window came up showing me similar threads. What a great feature! Answered the basic questions. So, as Emily LaTella once said:

"Never mind."

Deacon of the Desert
2002 LTC
'88 NX250

7500', Mt. Taylor, NM

Last edited by LoneAmigo; Apr 9th, 2008 at 2:55 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Apr 9th, 2008, 8:03 am

Re: RhineWest performance chip

I had one in my '99 and it made a world of difference. It gave me more pep and power, and really smoothed out the whole rpm range.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old Apr 9th, 2008, 9:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAmigo
Has anybody bought and used one of these chips? What kind of results did you get?

Well, when I posted a little window came up showing me similar threads. What a great feature! Answered the basic questions. So, as Emily LaTella once said:

"Never mind."
"Never mind.".. hahaha..

Hey, pard.. how about feeding the "data sheep"... update your profile so folks know your bike year, farkles, etc...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #4 of 13 Old Apr 9th, 2008, 2:06 pm

Quote:

"Never mind."
Hey, Amigo - wish I'd read this thread earlier this morning. I ran down to Rhinewest and while they were loading 'stuff' in my peecup, I took a look at their performance charts showing dyno readings of the combo Remus pipe and their chip. Pretty impressive, to me at least. I don't have that on Toad, so can't give you any on-hand info.

However, I did notice that they don't have a chip for the '05 LTs. Rather, they've redone the ?cam? sprocket. That chart looked even more impressive. I don't know what year they determined that the chip wouldn't yield positive results, and thus decided on the sprocket re-do. You might send Hank or Jim an e-mail and ax 'em; giving them the model year of your ride.

Good luck, Amigo.
post #5 of 13 Old Apr 9th, 2008, 2:23 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

I have been perusing all the older posts on this chip. One poster says it works by modifying the ignition advance curve. I know that my bike will run just fine on NM 86 octane. Apparently installing this chip makes it mandatory to use premium. At today's gas prices, shortages are sometimes eveident at the gas stations. Premium is sometimes unavailable. I have decided that it ain't broke, so I won't fix it. Besides, I'm following the Nutri-system. My power-to-weight ratio should be improving ( -8 lbs. in two weeks).

Deacon of the Desert
2002 LTC
'88 NX250

7500', Mt. Taylor, NM
post #6 of 13 Old Apr 9th, 2008, 2:41 pm

Yup.. if it goes good, leave it alone... and enjoy the ride.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #7 of 13 Old Apr 9th, 2008, 5:56 pm

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

I have been perusing all the older posts on this chip. One poster says it works by modifying the ignition advance curve. I know that my bike will run just fine on NM 86 octane. Apparently installing this chip makes it mandatory to use premium. At today's gas prices, shortages are sometimes eveident at the gas stations. Premium is sometimes unavailable. I have decided that it ain't broke, so I won't fix it. Besides, I'm following the Nutri-system. My power-to-weight ratio should be improving ( -8 lbs. in two weeks).
I have had the Remus/Rhinewest for 4 years and it WILL require premium as it does advance the timing. They have the two chip versions, one with Remus and one without. Knowing what I know now, I would not have done the Remus part. It is quite loud and droning at certain RPM. Forget about cruising at 3-4K with the radio on. You will find yourself staying above 4K to kill the drone. Adding the 1 1/2" pipe extender into the tip is a HUGE improvement, but still a bit of a drone.

The other problem is that with the Remus tuned chip, it compensates for the lowend torque loss from reduced exhaust velocity at low RPM by advancing timing. This adds even more demands on octane. I have had ping in hot weather under load even with premium. In my opinion/experience, if you must rechip, stay with the stock exhaust and appropriate chip version.
post #8 of 13 Old Apr 9th, 2008, 8:24 pm

So your saying chip with stock exhaust is the best scenario? Doesn't Remus make different exhaust combos? Which did you have?
thx
ld
post #9 of 13 Old Apr 10th, 2008, 1:21 am

Here in South Africa we are warned against this chip because we have a scenario where a vast part of our country is it at fairly high altitude with hot weather. Pinging is frequent and eventually the engines give up.

A bad day on the bike beats a good day in the office.
post #10 of 13 Old Apr 10th, 2008, 1:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoker100
So your saying chip with stock exhaust is the best scenario? Doesn't Remus make different exhaust combos? Which did you have?
thx
ld
To my knowledge, Remus makes one LT header type but has a "Race" can or a "Street" can. I have the street can (can tell by putting a broomhandle up the thing. If it stops about 1/3 of the way in, you have the street, all the way up there and its a race. The street can is still loud. The bike is no longer a luxury machine as loud as the Remus makes it IMO. I changed to the Remus because my stock header was cracked and the cat was affected. I figured it was a good time to upgrade/aftermarket since I had to spend the money anyway.

But yes, I would stay with the stock exhaust if you like to listen to the radio and cruise at 3-4K. The Rhinewest is a nice product on its own without the exhaust. Just make sure you order the NON-Remus version and have a competent shop install it. Letting some newbie joker tear into your Motronic is a disaster waiting to happen. You want somebody that has been there and done it before. Of course you could try it yourself, but if you fry it, you own it. At least if a shop fries it, they buy it.
post #11 of 13 Old Apr 10th, 2008, 1:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colyn
Here in South Africa we are warned against this chip because we have a scenario where a vast part of our country is it at fairly high altitude with hot weather. Pinging is frequent and eventually the engines give up.
Yes, this is good advice. The LT has no knock sensor to retard timing. If you hear ping, get off the throttle NOW. Luckily I live in the Pacific NW, USA where the temps stay under 80F almost all the time. But if one lives in 90F+ territory, this chip would be bad news in those conditions.
post #12 of 13 Old Apr 10th, 2008, 5:54 pm

i have had mine three years before I triked it and it made a difference. I would reccomend it.

John L Bass
2002 K1200lt Triked by Hannigan 2005 now LT stands for Luxury Trike
Carpe Diem <><
"I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God then sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle"
Stop Global Whining
post #13 of 13 Old Apr 11th, 2008, 2:51 pm

I ordered the Remus exhaust today, and am ordering the chip next. Who rides at 4k? Mine doesn't behave until I get it to 5K.

I am curious to hear more about the pipe and chip together or separate, and am really glad to have found this site.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in