Goldwing or BMW LT, This must of been asked a 100X - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 7:02 pm Thread Starter

Goldwing or BMW LT, This must of been asked a 100X

Sorry Guys

I tried searching this site to answer my questions but could not find it.

I am looking at the 2 bikes, GW or LT. I know the advanatges of Honda as having a good dealer network if I have to get things worked on. BMW there far a few. I live in the Phoenix Area and there are 2 BMW dealerships in a 25 mile radius. Honda has 5 or 6.

I am hearing of drive train issues on the BMW. Is this really a common occurance ? With GW, I never hear of failures, that could be because I have not researched enough. For those who have ride or have ride both, could I get some input on Cons and Pros.

Thank you

Marty Galison
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 7:04 pm
BMW Guru

Re: Goldwing or BMW LT, This must of been asked a 100X

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...light=goldwing

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 42 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 7:28 pm Thread Starter

Thank you for the link

post #4 of 42 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 7:29 pm

I've ridden both but have never owned a Goldwing.

One point in favor of the LT that is becoming more and more relevant is better gas mileage. LT riders regularly report average mileage in the high 40s.

It used to be that the BMW braking and suspension were far beyond the Wing but when Honda began offering ABS (in 2001?), that closed the gap on the braking. The BMW telelever front suspension beats a conventional fork hands down. There is no comparison in full-out emergency braking to a telelever (or duolever) equipped BMW.

My two cents.
post #5 of 42 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 9:15 pm

Cool Re: Goldwing or BMW LT, This must of been asked a 100X

Take the Wing on a long demo ride over some bad streets/roads. It rides like a truck! Also gets much worse gas mileage, in my Experience 5-10 mpg worse. In fairness, I liked the clutch and transmission much better. Also, I'd hate to give up my power windsheild.
post #6 of 42 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 9:41 pm

If your over 50 ..grey hair and a gut...gold wing.

Nelson
99 K1200LT
post #7 of 42 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 10:00 pm

Hi Marty,
I havn't owned a modern era wing, (my last one was an 83 which I liked very much,) but I ride with a guy regularly who owns one. When out on long rides, we swap bikes once in a while so we can each see how the other half lives.

My thoughts on the wing are it seems less nimble at speed, but the power and torque are good. It is smooth as a sewing machine for sure. I don't have near the confidence in the twisties as I do on my LT. It feels lower and long to me. I wouldn't hesitate to own one (if there were no LT!)

His take on the LT is that it is more of a handful at parking lot speed but overall, he likes the handling quite well. He is impressed greatly with the adjustable windshield. He also was disappointed that the LT got more looks at rest stops than his wing did as they sat side by side. (One of my HD buddies was really miffed that the LT drew a small crowd when his new Night Train was parked right beside it!)

I live in phx area too, and have had good luck so far with Victory BMW in Chandler.

My LT miles have been relatively trouble free. (Had a criuse control issue that now seems to be fixed.)

Good luck, let us know what you decide.

Steve
Chandler, AZ
2000 BMW 1200LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 42 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 11:38 pm
cws

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson61
Hey, 2 out of 3 and no way I'd get a GW (well, very little gut, more than I'd like though ), and I have test ridden one (GW) once. It was nice if all you do is super-slabbing.... but I wasn't quite so comfortable in the twisty bits.
Nice seat though compared to std BMW (an RM fixed that for me).

I think it was the sight of a GW parked on it's side down a sleep slope (not long after my test ride) that really put me off though, thinking how the hell they'd get it back on the road! Point being I think the beemer would've handled the corner better!

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #9 of 42 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 11:54 pm

How tall are you? If you are very tall you won't fit on a wing. I tried one of the new ones. My knees hit the fairing. I was told that for another $3,000 I might be able to get it comfortable..
I also 2nd the age comment above.
They are soooooo different. The BMW comes with more strings.. Like more mechanical issues, higher maint costs, but it's well worth the cost.
If all you want to do is ride the Interstate in comfort, and not worry about mechanical issues etc. Go w/ the Wing..
Just my $.02 (about what it's worth.)
Jeff

08 R1200GSA
04 K12LT (Sold)
97 R1100GS (Sold)
SS1000--IB # 32778

post #10 of 42 Old Apr 9th, 2008, 12:17 am

Quote:
Woah, woah, woah... What's wrong with 50???

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #11 of 42 Old Apr 9th, 2008, 12:22 am
KIC

GW or LT...

LT =

GW =

LT = US - HERE - THIS FORUM !

....and then....

PROUD FATHER OF A MILITARY DAUGHTER !.
She's for sale
SOLD 7-19-08 [url]

There are those who ride BMW's.. and those who wish they did.

Ron's R11/1 Vergasser's - 1st Wingman

Sophmore : BMWLT - University of Luxury Touring Education

2000 K1200LTC Champagne SOLD 7-08
2006 KLR 650 - RED- The fast dual sport color !
2002 TW 200 - White/Blue - #1,The wife's CRF replacement.
2002 TW 200 - WhiteBlue - #2, My matching toy
2001 XT 225 - White/Blue - Sold 7/08
92 K75S Red and fast (sadly gone)

Yamaha YZ 250 for the dirt ( still good use for a smokin' 2-stroke !) In critical care 4/08
Honda CRF 230F - Wifey's dirt fun. (Sold)
Many Honda 750 F's (May they Rest In Peace)
post #12 of 42 Old Apr 9th, 2008, 3:55 am

One of the reasons I chose the LT over the wing was that when I test rode the wing through Tucson towards the interstate, it roasted my left foot.

Plus, the wing dealers were wing-dings compared to the local BMW dealer.

One WIng dealer actually wanted me to negotiate a purchase price for a wing before I could test ride one.

The best test ride I got of a wing was a used one that someone traded in on a new one.

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #13 of 42 Old Apr 9th, 2008, 5:00 am

Smile Re: Goldwing or BMW LT, This must of been asked a 100X

I've been reading this site for a while and ride a gl1800. I've always thought the LT is the best looking touring bike on the market. But I have to take exception to a couple of things said here.

Quote:
How tall are you? If you are very tall you won't fit on a wing. I tried one of the new ones. My knees hit the fairing. I was told that for another $3,000 I might be able to get it comfortable...
Only a small exception taken here. You can make the 1800 fit a long legged guy for under $2000. I "wrote the book" on that. But like someone else said, the wing "rides like a truck." That is absolutely true...with a stock suspension. Spend another $2600 on a Traxxion suspension system and the truck becomes a Corvette. Since I've never ridden an LT, I can't make a comparison. [Anyone want to give me the opportunity?] I sat on one at a dealership and knew that I'd have to spend money for a new seat, highway pegs and handlebar risers, if they make them for the LT.

Quote:
If all you want to do is ride the Interstate in comfort, and not worry about mechanical issues etc. Go w/ the Wing..
Just my $.02 (about what it's worth.)
I hate the superslabs and rarely ride them. I prefer the twisties of the N. GA mountains. Now, I've never ridden with any LT riders and would enjoy doing so in order to find out whether or not I can keep up with them. I suspect that I could with most. [Anyone willing to disabuse me of this notion? Winner buys lunch?] When you put me in my place, [as would happen if you're really good,] I'll set you up to ride with Yellow Wolf. [See below.]

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo
post #14 of 42 Old Apr 9th, 2008, 7:07 am

Quote:
Damn! Guess I better put the LT for sale. And the old lady. Because she'll go with the LT for sure.
That is if YOU'RE correct.
post #15 of 42 Old Apr 9th, 2008, 7:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee
Nothing if you are a tree

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #16 of 42 Old Apr 9th, 2008, 7:38 am

I've watched the Yellow Wolf video before. (I went the Gap last spring.) It is a pretty remarkable video. If I remember correctly there is a lot of metal on pavement sound during the video.
I'm sure the Wing is a great bike. It was not for me. I really felt cramped on it. (I am 6'5")
It was also a very warm day when I did my test ride. Every time I put my feet out on the "very nice" highway foot rests, my legs were toasted..
The LT is just a different animal, they are very hard to compare.
I was able to go on a long test ride on the LT. A nice twisty 2 lane road along the Mississippi river in Southern MO. The LT just "felt" so much better to me. I also had previously thought the elec windshield was a gimmick. It took about 2 miles in town, then out on the road to realize it is a great asset.
I do wish the mechanical issues were the same.. I do not do my own work, but am fortunate to have two guys who are Master BMW mechanics, and worked at St Louis BMW for years, set up down the street from me running a small bike shop.

Jeff

08 R1200GSA
04 K12LT (Sold)
97 R1100GS (Sold)
SS1000--IB # 32778

post #17 of 42 Old Apr 9th, 2008, 8:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlookin
I've watched the Yellow Wolf video before. (I went the Gap last spring.) It is a pretty remarkable video. If I remember correctly there is a lot of metal on pavement sound during the video.
I'm sure the Wing is a great bike. It was not for me. I really felt cramped on it. (I am 6'5")
It was also a very warm day when I did my test ride. Every time I put my feet out on the "very nice" highway foot rests, my legs were toasted..
The LT is just a different animal, they are very hard to compare.
I was able to go on a long test ride on the LT. A nice twisty 2 lane road along the Mississippi river in Southern MO. The LT just "felt" so much better to me. I also had previously thought the elec windshield was a gimmick. It took about 2 miles in town, then out on the road to realize it is a great asset.
I do wish the mechanical issues were the same.. I do not do my own work, but am fortunate to have two guys who are Master BMW mechanics, and worked at St Louis BMW for years, set up down the street from me running a small bike shop.

Jeff
Yeah. The peg dragging was on the second bike. YW doesn't drag. In the video he was riding a stock suspension as well. He switched over to Traxxion later on and decreased his time on the Dragon by a minute.

It's funny how different people feel on different machines. I'm only 6'2" with a 32 1/2" inseam and didn't even want to take the dealer up on the offer to test ride the LT because I was so cramped. Of course, I was cramped on the 1800 as well, but fixed that. Toward the end of the link below is a picture of a 6'5" rider on his modified wing. But each to his own. Whatever gives a good ride is the ride to take.

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/v...=160917#160917

The adjustable windshield is cool. You can get an aftermarket one for the 1800 but it's not the same as having it from the get-go. Honda has the problem of trying to satisfy all of us old farts by keeping it as low in price as possible and still trying to get the young guys to ride as well.

I've already got one offer from a rider in Illinois to come on down. Any others?
post #18 of 42 Old Apr 9th, 2008, 8:50 am

Talking Re: Goldwing or BMW LT, This must of been asked a 100X

H*LY CR*P Batman - those were some ugly a*s seats...
post #19 of 42 Old Apr 9th, 2008, 9:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboatjohn
H*LY CR*P Batman - those were some ugly a*s seats...
They are. Butt [sic] I can't see 'em when I'm riding. They're made specifically for fat old men who are too old and stiff and don't want to get off until they run out of gas. [Of course, most of us never run out of "gas"...if you catch my drift...and if you do...you won't like it. ]
post #20 of 42 Old Apr 9th, 2008, 10:03 am

Both great bikes, just tailored a bit different. Find the best fit for you.

Personally, I would buy a Goldwing in a heartbeat...I just happened to buy an LT in a half-heartbeat
post #21 of 42 Old Apr 9th, 2008, 10:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddking
Yeah. The peg dragging was on the second bike. YW doesn't drag. In the video he was riding a stock suspension as well. He switched over to Traxxion later on and decreased his time on the Dragon by a minute.

It's funny how different people feel on different machines. I'm only 6'2" with a 32 1/2" inseam and didn't even want to take the dealer up on the offer to test ride the LT because I was so cramped. Of course, I was cramped on the 1800 as well, but fixed that. Toward the end of the link below is a picture of a 6'5" rider on his modified wing. But each to his own. Whatever gives a good ride is the ride to take.

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/v...=160917#160917

The adjustable windshield is cool. You can get an aftermarket one for the 1800 but it's not the same as having it from the get-go. Honda has the problem of trying to satisfy all of us old farts by keeping it as low in price as possible and still trying to get the young guys to ride as well.

I've already got one offer from a rider in Illinois to come on down. Any others?
Dan

Good to see your ddking on a different forum. You are welcome to hop on my LT anytime you visit the left coast. I am 6'2" as well and need to ride on an Air Hawk to raise me up an inch or so. I have not modified my LT seat like I did on the Wing. My Wing seat puts me up 1.5inches and back 2 inches to keep my knees off the fairing. The LT does not have the fairing issue, but my knees do not like more than an hour or so without a lift.

Scott
Shingle Springs + Redwood City Ca

2008 K1200LT Black, (Big Black Whale)
2008 DRZ400SM white (Thumpers) wife's
1975 GL1000, Red #18406 (Lazarus)
1994 Quarter Horse, Brown, #3292487(Gaucho)
post #22 of 42 Old Apr 9th, 2008, 10:48 am

I rented a GW last year, and I thought it was a very nice bike. Lots of power and torque, and a very nice ride. I didn't even think it handled badly in the twisties and turns. My wife thought it was the most comfortable of any bike she has ridden on to date, even more so than the LT. Having said that, I like my LT better--much better. The suspension on the LT is better, and the "fun" factor--well there is no comparison. I regularly get over 45 mpg on the LT, and on the GW I was lucky to get 40. 35-38 was more the norm, and I am a conservative rider. The more I ride my LT (about 30000 miles to date) the more I like it and consider it to be the best bike out there.
post #23 of 42 Old Apr 9th, 2008, 10:52 am

I have yet to ride the new wings. Honda is known for reliable low maintenance cars and bikes(I also have a Honda Generator I bought back in 1987 that is as good as the day I bought it!). I happened to find a sweet deal on a LT before I did on a GW. MY neighbor has a new GW 1800 and loves it! With the larger motor on the GW it would seem to have more pep. And the list of farkles available for the wing is off the hook! Comes right down to your own preference. I could picture owning both and I'm 7yrs shy of 50. With that being said I do love the 47-53mpg I'm getting on my LT ALOT right now! I'm very happy with my LT and the wife loves the comfort on the back. My only complaint is that I want a cupholder (the Beemer one is $124) and another power plug up high for my radar! This thing scoots!

1985 K100RT 90k
1981 R100RT 56k miles Sold
2000 K1200LT 48k miles Sold
2003 Victory Vegas-12k miles Sold
1982 Suzuki GS550L only 299 miles Sold
1997 Yamaha Vmax-15k miles Sold
1996 Suzuki DR650-17k miles Sold
1996 R1100RT-27k miles Sold
1995 K1100LT-85k miles Sold
1982 Honda CB900F-33k mikes Sold
BMWMOA 138762[/I]
post #24 of 42 Old Apr 9th, 2008, 11:31 am

Both so good that it comes to what YOU want .....

Wing advantages:

Dealer network , slight reliability edge, slight cost of service edge, airbag available (if you care), engine power & smoothness , low speed handling, smoother operating brake system, audio system, slight passenger comfort advantage, excellent lighting

BMW advantages:

Character, exclusivity, more sporty/better high speed handling, electro hydraulic center stand, electric windshield, gas mileage, better heated seats/grips, slight suspension advantage, 50 lbs lighter

For me the more sporting character and capability along with the electric windscreen (this is a MUST, unbeleivable the Wings doesnt move on the fly) really sold me.
post #25 of 42 Old Apr 9th, 2008, 11:56 am Thread Starter

It's Me again. Just got done looking at my post results/reply's.

The information that was asked by you guys.

I turned 50 last October. but not gray, must be in the genes.
I am about 5' 10'' 1/2, 32 inch inseam, have a gut but not huge, 38 inch waist.

I strictly ride my bike as primary transportation to and from work. I also do enjoy riding on weekends. Looking to do more of touring since kids are getting older and soon will be out of the house.

I took my bike from Phoenix Az area to Kingman Az. Boy was I sore.

What I am looking for in a bike.

1. Like to do more long distance riding in confort, my vstar 1100 just doesn't cut it.

2. Still want to use my bike for riding back and forth to work. I work about 25 miles from home one way.

3. I DO NOT want anything that will need constant maintance. I want to be riding it not always fixing it.

4. I miss having a radio on my commute, want something with good sound.

5. My bike generates a lot of heat in the summer months, I would like to tone that heat down.

6. I want a bike that handles well. When I ride I try to take secondary rodes, there are a lot of them in AZ, great state for riding.

7. As for the price, they are both about the same price so that is not an issue.

8. Gas milage is one of them, if I am buying another bike, I want somthing thats better than a car, so thats a hit on the GW since it is a Civic on 2-wheels.

Thanks for all you input.
post #26 of 42 Old Apr 9th, 2008, 12:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo
Dan

Good to see your ddking on a different forum. You are welcome to hop on my LT anytime you visit the left coast. I am 6'2" as well and need to ride on an Air Hawk to raise me up an inch or so. I have not modified my LT seat like I did on the Wing. My Wing seat puts me up 1.5inches and back 2 inches to keep my knees off the fairing. The LT does not have the fairing issue, but my knees do not like more than an hour or so without a lift.
Scott,

I made it as far as Flagstaff last summer, but I doubt I'll get anywhere near you for a long, long time. I've read these forums for quite a while now and realize that I could make an LT fit. But I spent so much experimenting already, I'll be 80 before I'm out of debt. Do you still have your wing?

And why is the horse in your avatar still standing?

Last edited by ddking; Apr 9th, 2008 at 12:53 pm. Reason: Forgot something
post #27 of 42 Old Apr 9th, 2008, 7:22 pm

Still have both Wing and LT(and 4 other bikes in the garage). Both Wing and LT needed about the same modifications to get to a ddking comfort level.

Horse is still standing as I ride the bikes more than him.

Scott
Shingle Springs + Redwood City Ca

2008 K1200LT Black, (Big Black Whale)
2008 DRZ400SM white (Thumpers) wife's
1975 GL1000, Red #18406 (Lazarus)
1994 Quarter Horse, Brown, #3292487(Gaucho)
post #28 of 42 Old Apr 9th, 2008, 7:57 pm

If you can, wait till your temps go over 100, or at least into the upper 90s, test ride both.

If you get stuck in slow moving traffic, you'll be able to judge if you can ride either during the summer.

When my wife and I wanted to test ride the LT, we were shocked at how enthustiatic the BMW dealership was about us test riding the LT. In fact they suggest we take it for a day trip down to Tombsone!

At first I balked at having a heated seat (it was an option then). But, since I ride year round, I've discovered I use the heated seat and grips a lot during the winter. I constantly adjust the windshield height. Once temps hit the upper 90s here, I put the tall stock windshield back on.

The rear end failures, slave cylinder leaks, and engine-trany seal leaks are a MAJOR PITA. Same for having the rear trunk latch break.

While its nice to have 38-45 mpg, you'll find that you chew up a lot of money replacing tires every 8-12 miles.

I've found that the only way to really enjoy "twisties" is to excedeeee the speed limit in corners; many times I have to go faster than I can safely brake. So most of the time, I just enjoying riding, and not being in a car wherever I go.

Oh. Yup. My LT is my transportation, year round.

bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #29 of 42 Old Apr 9th, 2008, 8:31 pm

Marty,
A year or a little more ago, Motorcycle Consumer News did a head to head comparison of the LT and GW. If you pull a trailer on the freeway all day, go with a GW. If you like twisty roads, the LT is the one for you.
post #30 of 42 Old Apr 9th, 2008, 10:49 pm
cws

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgalison

I turned 50 last October. but not gray, must be in the genes.
I am about 5' 10'' 1/2, 32 inch inseam, have a gut but not huge, 38 inch waist.

I strictly ride my bike as primary transportation to and from work. I also do enjoy riding on weekends. Looking to do more of touring since kids are getting older and soon will be out of the house.

I took my bike from Phoenix Az area to Kingman Az. Boy was I sore.

What I am looking for in a bike.

1. Like to do more long distance riding in confort, my vstar 1100 just doesn't cut it.

2. Still want to use my bike for riding back and forth to work. I work about 25 miles from home one way.

3. I DO NOT want anything that will need constant maintance. I want to be riding it not always fixing it.

5. My bike generates a lot of heat in the summer months, I would like to tone that heat down.

6. I want a bike that handles well. When I ride I try to take secondary rodes, there are a lot of them in AZ, great state for riding.

7. As for the price, they are both about the same price so that is not an issue.

8. Gas milage is one of them, if I am buying another bike, I want somthing thats better than a car, so thats a hit on the GW since it is a Civic on 2-wheels.

Thanks for all you input.
Normally I hate "quoting" longer posts, but... hey thats me!! Just 4 months older, a touch less grey, on the opposite side of the globe, but with an LT!
LT LT LT LT LT LT LT LT LT LT LT LT LT LT LT LT LT LT LT LT LT LT.... if you get my drift!

Fun things to do on an LT

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #31 of 42 Old Apr 12th, 2008, 1:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcarter
I've ridden both but have never owned a Goldwing.

One point in favor of the LT that is becoming more and more relevant is better gas mileage. LT riders regularly report average mileage in the high 40s.

It used to be that the BMW braking and suspension were far beyond the Wing but when Honda began offering ABS (in 2001?), that closed the gap on the braking. The BMW telelever front suspension beats a conventional fork hands down. There is no comparison in full-out emergency braking to a telelever (or duolever) equipped BMW.

My two cents.
We all know the LT gets better mileage than the GW, but really, how much of a differance is there, and how relevant is that mileage differance.
I've been riding with a GW for almost 5 years now, and in my opinion, there is very little differance between the bikes as LD tourers. Most of it comes down to personal preferances, such as looks, comfort and handling.

Last summer we tourer the Canadian Rockies and the BC Kooteneys with the other couple on their GW. We averaged 48 mpg on the 10 day ride. The GW averaged 43 mpg, AND HE WAS TOWING A UNI-GO, carrying their gear and ours.
He was putting in regular and I was putting in premium gas, at about $.10/lt more. Each time we filled up, my tank cost about $.50 less to fill.
Now that is really relevent!!!!!!!!!!!!

So give me a break. There are a few of you guys that have a real issue with GWs. Do you feel threatened? I don't. I ride beside one all the time and I would never put it down, no more than the GW rider would put down my LT.

My two-bits worth.
post #32 of 42 Old Apr 12th, 2008, 7:45 am

Quote:
Did I leave my web cam on again?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #33 of 42 Old Apr 12th, 2008, 10:55 am
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddking
I've been reading this site for a while and ride a gl1800. I've always thought the LT is the best looking touring bike on the market. But I have to take exception to a couple of things said here.

Only a small exception taken here. You can make the 1800 fit a long legged guy for under $2000. I "wrote the book" on that. But like someone else said, the wing "rides like a truck." That is absolutely true...with a stock suspension. Spend another $2600 on a Traxxion suspension system and the truck becomes a Corvette. Since I've never ridden an LT, I can't make a comparison. [Anyone want to give me the opportunity?] I sat on one at a dealership and knew that I'd have to spend money for a new seat, highway pegs and handlebar risers, if they make them for the LT.

I hate the superslabs and rarely ride them. I prefer the twisties of the N. GA mountains. Now, I've never ridden with any LT riders and would enjoy doing so in order to find out whether or not I can keep up with them. I suspect that I could with most. [Anyone willing to disabuse me of this notion? Winner buys lunch?] When you put me in my place, [as would happen if you're really good,] I'll set you up to ride with Yellow Wolf. [See below.]

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo
Nice riding I must say, not to bad on the camera work as well. Way to tear it up!

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #34 of 42 Old Apr 12th, 2008, 1:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgalison

What I am looking for in a bike....
You sound like me, 50, ride to work every day for the last three years and my wife LOVES long trips. So if you'll allow me:

I graduated from a Suzuki C50. With commuting and a long trip every month (I get a week off each month) we put 50,000 miles on that bike in two years. I finally decided I needed a tourer.

I decided I'd keep the Suzi to commute. Still have it, it's a beautiful motorcycle. But I got used to riding the LT and now use it everyday from the Houston burbs to downtown every day (<40% rain).

I've racked up 23,000 miles on this 2003 LT since I bought it April '07 and I've found it takes no more maintenance than the Suzi. Getting to the air and gas filters is more challenging (i.e. gotta strip the LT down) but as far as frequency, about the same to me.

The LT has got a decent set up and the auto volume control is nice. Get the headsets and you're in heaven.

No prob with the LT. As long as you have the seat heater switches set correctly in the summer. Wife thought she was going through the change last August... nope, it was the seats.

The LT is unbeatable on the highway, Ozarks or downtown Austin on Congress St. It handles fairly well off road too... (Garmin did not tell me County Road 1212 turned to dirt have way down that sucker!)

If you've got the money buy both. If you've got money for one (like me) buy the LT.

I avg 39-40MPG city, 46-47MPG highway (I drive fast)

"And that's all I got to say about that"

Last edited by big_ed; Apr 12th, 2008 at 2:18 pm.
post #35 of 42 Old Apr 12th, 2008, 6:11 pm

I owned a 2004 GL1800, and now own a 2005 K1200LT. Both are excellent motorcycles, and each has it own set of quirks and issues.

Honda has far more dealerships than does BMW. My experience, however is that few Honda dealerships have service personnel with the level of expertise to work on the Wing, which is a very complicated motorcycle. BMW dealers seem to have BMW-certified technicians, for the most part.

The Wing has a weak front suspension that most owners replace with a $3,500 aftermarket kit at about 15,000 miles. The Wing has a shock absorber in one of the front forks; the other fork contains the anti-dive mechanism. The anti-dive "locks in" suspension travel when the front brakes are applied. This is a problem when braking hard over a rough surface - the result is fork pounding while braking.

The electronically adjustable rear suspension is also weak, and the (expensive) replacement of the electrohydraulic units under warranty is an issue Honda avoids if at all possible. Many owners install expensive aftermarket replacements at 20,000 miles.

The Wing lacks an electrically adjustable windscreen. Once you have ridden with an adjustable wind screen, you'll never want to be without one again, expecially in hot weather.

The Honda's body panels squeak and rattle because they are held in place with push pins, for the most part, and rub against each other. The BMW body panels are of a higher quality, and are attached with several different types of screw fasteners. There are very few body squeaks, if any.

Both motorcycles are excellent long distance tourers. My personal experience is that a 500 mile day on the Wing left me feeling beat up and tired. A 500 mile day on the LT leaves me eager to ride another 100 miles. The Wing is far more reactive to cross winds than is the LT; riding in a heavy cross wind is a challange on the Wing and far less so on the LT.

Subjectively, the LT is a far more enjoyable bike in the twisties. I've seen the videos of Yellow Wolf riding his Wing on The Dragon, and admire his ability. I think it represents what any rider could do, provide he or she had hundreds of practice runs with a Wing or an LT. Also, I think YW is a racer, so there is a higher level of expertise. It would be an error of judgement for any prospective Wing buyer to watch the videos and think he or she coud get the same results.

Fuel mileage is, I think, a false issue when buying a big touring bike. If mileage is really the issue, then buy a much smaller bike that gets far better mielage. Or for the price of either a Wing or an LT, buy a Corrola or a VW diesel.

Ride Safe!

Inside my 60 year old body is a 35 year old brain wondering what the hell happened.
2005 K1200LT
2005 Suzuki Burgman
BMWMOA #130574
post #36 of 42 Old Apr 12th, 2008, 7:17 pm

Both models are about to receive a face lift in the near future. The new improved LT should debut as a 2010 model. The Honda GW should follow. The LT is rumored to go to a inline 6 cylinder, not sure about the changes on the Honda.

What it boils down to is, can youi wait? or do you need it now?

'07 FLHTCU-POSE .......Black
'02 K1200LT-E ...........Titan Silver-Sold
post #37 of 42 Old Apr 13th, 2008, 4:22 am

Quote:
The Wing has a weak front suspension that most owners replace with a $3,500 aftermarket kit at about 15,000 miles.
The front is $1250. The rear adds another $1000. Most add a fork brace and All Balls tapered bearings at the same time which brings the total, front and back, to $2600. [I assume $3500 was a typo?]

Most 1800 owners stay with the stock suspension and are happy...because they ride it like it's a car and don't know any better. But it should be replaced at 0 miles.

Last edited by ddking; Apr 13th, 2008 at 4:24 am. Reason: Forgot something
post #38 of 42 Old Apr 13th, 2008, 6:52 am

No typo. Those are the prices I was quoted in 2006 for the labor and materials to upgrade the GL1800 suspension. Perhaps the dealer who provided the quote was a bit aggressive in his prices.

Regardless, having to upgrade the suspension of an $18,000 touring motorcycle is absurd. It's as absurd as spending $18,000 or more for a Harley and then having to plow thousands of dollars into engine/exhaust/controller upgrades so the engine runs a bit better.

Inside my 60 year old body is a 35 year old brain wondering what the hell happened.
2005 K1200LT
2005 Suzuki Burgman
BMWMOA #130574
post #39 of 42 Old Apr 13th, 2008, 6:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_H
No typo. Those are the prices I was quoted in 2006 for the labor and materials to upgrade the GL1800 suspension. Perhaps the dealer who provided the quote was a bit aggressive in his prices.
Somebody was trying to rip you off. And you're right, you shouldn't have to upgrade the suspension.

http://www.traxxion.com/gold_wing_su...spension.shtml
post #40 of 42 Old Apr 28th, 2008, 7:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee
Nothing. I remember it well.

Tim S
Arizona,USA

2011 R1200RT
post #41 of 42 Old Apr 29th, 2008, 12:23 am

I've owned both bikes and my preference is the LT. The LT is like an exotic, beautiful and exquisitely desirable woman, though somewhat hight maintainance. The ride is exciting and can border on sensual, depending on your riding style. The GW tries to muscle through what the LT can finesse and is a boring ride by comparison. I've put many miles on both bikes and each has it's own strengths. You need to first consider your rationalization to ride a motorcycle. You certainly know that it's dangerous but you balance that with the pleasures and excitement of riding. It's a little like being married and having an affair with another woman, you know it can hurt you but you do it anyway. To paraphrase a Cadillac commercial, "When you turn your car on, does it return the favor". Every time I ride my LT, I smile, on the GW I couldn't wait to get where I was going.

Smith
'05 Dark Graphite
Greensboro, NC
post #42 of 42 Old Apr 29th, 2008, 4:30 am
cws

Garage

I'm never going to look at my bike the same way again...... so that's the beauty of it!!

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in