Help with windshield choice - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 7:00 pm Thread Starter

Help with windshield choice

I purchased and installed a Cee Bailey's replacement windshield a few months ago and it has worked well in cold weather. I raise it a bit and actually look through the thing while riding. Now that it has warmed up I would prefer a sportier, shorter screen. The shield I put on was a minus 2" and when fully lowered the top of the shield is right in my line of sight. Will a minus 4" do the trick? Is there a comperable shield that might be shorter?
Any help/comments would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Ride Safe!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 8th, 2008, 10:17 pm

Re: Help with windshield choice

How tall are you? I'm thinking of getting the same one but I want to look over it.

Joe Van Orsdol
Zimmerman Mn
'02 K1200LT
'94 K75S for sale
'11 DR650 Alaska Bike
'13 KTM 250XCW
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 10:47 pm

i have both a cee bailey and an aeroflo. i keep the cee bailey fro an extra in case of damage. try the aero flo . it is the best screen of the 3 i have used, that includes the stock screen. you will not see many endorsing the aero flo but to me it gives the best wind protection at the lowest levels and also keeps the fuel mileage at a better rate than the other two screens.

PAUL HERMAN
TROPHY CLUB TX
WORK 817-491-2800
CELL 817-403-3648

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old Apr 9th, 2008, 2:31 am
IBR# 366

Garage

The Aeroflow is a great shield for the LT - if you can stand the massive distortion through most of it. I couldn't, and took it off in under 100 miles. The Cee Bailey was a much better screen for the LT for me and my wife.

The Aeroflow on my GT works great with no real distortion.

Dennis, you could always put a piece of tape 2"" from the top of your CB screen and sit on the bike or maybe go for a short ride to see how that works for you. And if it does then it's possible to cut 2"" off your existing screen with a jig saw and sandpaper to smooth the edges.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 6:07 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

I have two CB shields. One -6 Clear and a Euro -6 Ice Blue. I had a -4 and it was in my site line at full down. I love both of mine and I can get behind it in the full up position, but unless I am in rain or bugs, I don't want to look through any shield.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 6:33 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. I am 6 feet tall however I have long legs and a short torso....when I sit in the saddle I am probably as tall as a guy around 5'9" or 5'10".
I also do not like looking through the shield unless it is very COLD! I prefer to look over the screen.
I like the idea of the tape on the shield but I wouldn't trust myself to make a decent looking cut.
I will continue to research before I shell out the $$$ for a new screen.
Ride Safe!
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 7:59 pm

One thing to keep in mind is that the Cee Baileys are at a different angle than the stock screen, this makes comparisons about the length a bit more difficult.

Old Apr 14th, 2008, 7:51 am

It has been said many times. What works well for one rider does not necessarily mean it will work well for you. You can spend a bunch of $ trying out different windshields until you find the one you like. OR go to a Rally like Americade, the various windshield manufacturers are there. They let you try them out. Then you know which is best for you.

Ultra LT
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 9:18 am

I had a CB #2 -2 (with wings) and I couldn't see over it in the down position. I sold the -2 and got a -4, and now can see over it fine. It does let more air in, esp on my passenger. Sort of wished I would have gotten a -3. BWT, I am 5'9" with a 30 inch inseam.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 8:05 pm
Human Behaviour Analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraLT
It has been said many times. What works well for one rider does not necessarily mean it will work well for you. You can spend a bunch of $ trying out different windshields until you find the one you like. OR go to a Rally like Americade, the various windshield manufacturers are there. They let you try them out. Then you know which is best for you.

Ultra LT
As it happens I'm both heading to Americade AND considering a windshield replacement. How exactly do they let you try them out?
Do they install one on yours and let you go for a run or do the have mock-ups or models. Hopefully the former -- then you know for sure.
Anyone done this at a rally?
Keir
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 8:44 am

Keir,
That is exactly what they do. When I found the one that worked, it stayed on the bike and they shipped the old one home for me.

Ultra LT
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 7:05 pm
Human Behaviour Analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraLT
Keir,
That is exactly what they do. When I found the one that worked, it stayed on the bike and they shipped the old one home for me.

Ultra LT
Some of the best news I've heard today !!
Definte BEST was that I was able to get Pamela out for the first ride of the season today. 46 degrees but I got the greatest heated vest from PeteVanDyke this winter !!
Thanks Ultra !!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in